Side Project / Shared (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by bread_c, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (3,920) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

still can’t justify more than one package of this with Rye BBT (and who knows what else) around the corner.

Harrison8 likes this.
  2. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (225) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Forgot about that beer.

Probably because it came out as the temperature was cooling off and was alright at best.

3. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

agreed, the timing on that release struck me as odd

Coraciiformes likes this.
  4. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (871) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I'm not normally on the "Defend SP" side of the fence, but I'll make the distinction that the package is reasonable priced, even if $45 is still a lot for a non BA beer. The last package for this beer was $80, and to buy BBT you had to spend $180 on a package. Most of the packages now adays for a $40-65 beer are well over $100. So, it is a reasonably priced package. In my opinion.

5. jmlhd7

jmlhd7 Initiate (108) Dec 22, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

For a package, yeah it’s not bad. But my argument is that this beer really shouldn’t be in a package, and that’s why I’m out.

6. KUbeerfan

KUbeerfan Initiate (70) Feb 9, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

Really enjoying the pace at which this packaged beer is selling today.

7. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

i’m the opposite! this is one of those situations where i pray it sells out any second so i’m not tempted to buy another.

8. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (225) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

There’s like 1900 left

9. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

fuuuuuck

OakvilleKGB and smalony like this.
  10. KUbeerfan

KUbeerfan Initiate (70) Feb 9, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

what are the odds they don’t sell the remaining 1900 packages and have to sell them separately?

11. cdinardo21

cdinardo21 Initiate (129) Oct 29, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

How can you tell?

OakvilleKGB and Thirst_trappist like this.
  12. Coraciiformes

Coraciiformes Initiate (28) Jun 1, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

Low, they’ll hold them for two years then sell them on-site as “vintage” for +$20-30

13. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (154) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

Has happened before

Resistance88 and OakvilleKGB like this.
  14. Lorddevn

Trader

For a 750mL. Meh different strokes for different folks been paying similar prices for years but that’s fine you don’t find it reasonable.

Harrison8 and OakvilleKGB like this.
  15. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (153) Aug 21, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Even though it says drink within 90 days on the bottle.

16. swenny916

swenny916 Defender (693) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Society Trader

Try adding 5,000 or some high number to the cart and it'll change to what's still available.

Harrison8, OakvilleKGB and cdinardo21 like this.
  17. SeekerOfLight

SeekerOfLight Initiate (7) Jun 25, 2021

Not trying to argue but for example P3 curvature 10 which is similar (no vanilla) was $19.99 and the price on those hasn’t gone up in three years. Now I know that vanilla is extremely expensive so if Cory tells me he put $15-20 worth of vanilla beans in each bottle I’ll bow out

18. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (153) Aug 21, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

I'm absolutely with you on that. When I can buy Perennial stout 2 packs for $14 I'm not buying any of these. I was trying them when they had them on draft but at $12/5 oz I'm not even doing that any more because I can get a full glass of a fantastic saison for less. But I realize there are plenty of people willing to pay any price for anything they make and I don't blame them for charging what they do (and frankly I expect the BA stouts to go up way higher).

19. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Oh, I agree. :grin: Not that you could tell that by any of my other posts. :wink:

20. gibgink

gibgink Savant (917) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

I think they really mean it on this one. Coconut was non existent for me b1.

Harrison8 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  21. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

that’s what always happens in the vanilla / coconut combo stouts for me. vanilla dominates and melds with the coconut to just create a general sweetness.

pconn10 likes this.
  22. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I waited a bit too long to drink my bottle of B1 (I think 9-12mo?), and I detected nearly no coconut. I put that on me. But good to know others had that experience even when fresh. Curious to see what people think once they start tasting it (on draft?).

Resistance88 and OakvilleKGB like this.
  23. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

i had b1 on draft earlier this year. same experience. no true coconut - just general sweetness. and i enjoyed it just as i did with the bottles but that combo just blends together to create sweetness to me.

i’ll be in a camp by myself here on this one (and i’m not trying to say i didn’t enjoy it) but DM was waaaaaay to sweet for my tastes. good but 5oz was more than enough.

24. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,470) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

They'll just be bundled into a bigger package.

25. pconn10

pconn10 Initiate (88) May 19, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

I had a similar experience with DM. Glad I shared it with like 5 friends so the small pour I got was more than enough for me.

OakvilleKGB and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  26. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

BFS on draft and available to-go at the cellar

OakvilleKGB and Harrison8 like this.
  27. Lorddevn

Trader

Mornin delight has been 45 dollars for 7 years now. Agree no point in arguing I think it’s a super affordable and reasonable amount you may feel different. Different strokes for different folks.

cheers

28. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,371) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I really don't intend to pick this up, but when it's still sitting in the shop some four hours later, may end up with it in my cart.

I'm not a big fan of coconut, but it would be fun to drink this side-by-side with Coconut Medianoche. If it was not packaged, I'd probably have broken down and bought one.

29. bhatch729

bhatch729 Aspirant (218) Nov 8, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

4 hours in over 1400 packages remain

Harrison8 and Thirst_trappist like this.
  30. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (125) Apr 27, 2017 California
    Trader

One, this beer should not have been packaged. And two, the price on it is absurd for a non-BA stout, particularly at a time when most normal folks are trying to stretch their dollars further in the wake of a looming recession. Almost $2/ounce for this beer is wild, I can buy fantastic bourbons for that same price. Hopefully this is a lesson for SP, but my guess is they will learn nothing since they can instantly sell out on a 375ml BA stout package for $140.

31. MattOC

MattOC Defender (645) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

If people are trying to stretch their dollar the last thing they should be buying is an expensive bottle of beer because of fomo and or ticker mentality.

If you can’t afford it, pass. If you don’t like the price, pass. Not you directly, generally speaking.

In regards to the price/package, I don’t hate it. I’ve really enjoyed BB previously and I’ve never had Achromatic Vibes. That said, I haven’t bought it, yet.

It’s shaping up like Parfait b3 for me, not a package I know, but that was there for a long time and it kept on staring back at me on the screen and I finally caved. Really on the fence with this one.

32. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (353) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

This

33. Ckgibu

Ckgibu Initiate (115) Jun 3, 2020 Hawaii
    Trader

I’m more interested in what the definition of “fantastic bourbons” is, since there aren’t many $50 bottles sitting on shelves out there that I’d consider “fantastic”

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  34. Ckgibu

Trader

Amen @MattOC . Let’s get this thread back to actually talking about the beer.

35. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

webshop has AV listed at 15% ABV. last time around i believe it was 12%. most non-BA shared stouts (vibes) typically finish at 13%. wondering if this is correct or a typo.

36. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (125) Apr 27, 2017 California
    Trader

Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Old Forester 1920, Maker’s Mark FAE, Four Roses Single Barrel Select… to name a few that most people should be able to find with relative ease.
    Don’t disagree with you there. These are luxury items, no doubt. Given that, unless there’s literally 4-5 beans worth of vanilla in each one of those bottles, I don’t see how they can justify these prices. Aside from the initial fermentation, and racking of some adjuncts, these beers take almost no time to make. Cory King seems to me like a man of integrity who likes to make good beer and share it with the world, so the pricing on this is a head scratcher, to say the least.

#2036 BreakingMyBalls, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  37. MattOC

MattOC Defender (645) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Untappd has 2020 as 12%, take it for what it’s worth. Release email I got from SP for today’s release is clear with 15%.

Harrison8 and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  38. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Edit: TL;Dr: Anyone can appreciate whiskey considered the 'best in the world', just like almost anyone can appreciate SP beers as some of the best in the world. That doesn't make you an advocate.

If you delve into the whiskey culture, and you find people that are what one might call "true whiskey advocates," you'll find people indicating that many of the great options on the shelf everyday are not only worldclass, but fantastic and better than half the limited stuff out there. This is comparable to what one might call a "true beer advocate," advocating for Rasputin RIS, BCBS, and local lagers as all "available, better and cheap" compared to most of the more limited offerings by most breweries.

Bassically, the difference to me between an 'advocate' and 'not' is that an advocate can find great pleasure in the simplest of offerings and enjoy them immensely. They don't only get satisfaction from chasing the shiny thing AND they don't have to chase the hype. They can just appreciate the great available whiskey for what it is. Great whiskey.

Not judging you, just providing some clarity. @Squire , can probably help shed some light beyond what I have.

39. Ckgibu

Trader

Solid selection of available bourbons, indeed. Although sadly FAE has been disappearing quickly since it took high awards in Whisky Advocate.

40. cdinardo21

cdinardo21 Initiate (129) Oct 29, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I think Bib & Tucker is fairly above the line as well, just over $50 on average. I prefer the OF 1910, but those are both great options.

OakvilleKGB, KevSal, Vitacca and 2 others like this.