Side Project / Shared (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by bread_c, Jan 1, 2022.

1. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,192) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

hey man coffin flop is a good show!

2. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (237) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

I didn’t rig shit

3. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,192) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

Its impossible that one outta every five of them are nude!

4. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (143) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Looks like PN10 and The Scribe b2 alongside b1/Styrbjorn at the cellar. If anyone made it to check that out would love to hear how they compared to each other

5. Ckgibu

Ckgibu Initiate (117) Jun 3, 2020 Hawaii
    Trader

ISO: Immediate post-pandemic travel fares…

Man, I miss being able to fly from Hawaii to StL for the cost of a current flight to LA :sob:

6. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Poo-Bah (1,591) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Society Trader

Styrbjorn was heavy jam/fruit. Was my personal fave. Scribe b1 was more fruit than b2 but also more sour. B2 had more barrel as well. I liked b1 better than b2 but I could probably drink more of b2 at one sitting. PN10 is a good beer but not in the league of the other 3. Cory also opened a Lost Abbey Veritas 009 which was solid. More fruit than I expected for a 10-11 year old beer. Best thing I drank though was HoD...

Overall, I'd go like this

HoD - 5.0+++++
    Styrbjorn - 4.85
    Scribe b1 - 4.75, maybe 4.80
    Scribe b2 - 4.65
    Veritas 009 - 4.35
    Pulling Nails 10 - 4.00

7. MKE_Hopspur

MKE_Hopspur Initiate (57) Mar 15, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

Oh I have no doubt that you/your team manipulate the numbers (completely your prerogative and not a criticism). My comment was 100% to answer a question someone specifically asked as to how others were determining "bottle counts". I couldn't care less about bottle counts, it's the dollar figures that determine my purchasing decisions. And at certain price points (+$40) the beer absolutely needs to taste better :wink:

8. CypressPaul1

CypressPaul1 Initiate (44) Nov 24, 2019 Georgia

I think you’re out, man. Better make the most of you’re remaining LC status.

9. Heisenbrew

Trader

I’m already dead.

10. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (4,343) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

word on the street is no tete allotments for you in the future.

Thirst_trappist and Affinity like this.
  11. Affinity

Affinity Aspirant (262) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Scribe b1 > Scribe b2 > Heart of Darkness = Styrbjorn > Pulling Nails 10

Scribe b1 and b2 were surprisingly similar. B1 had less bourbon notes and B2 had more, but the berry, dark fruit, wine, and figgy flavors were really close. Biggest takeaway after trying Scribe b1 is how young it was drinking. This beer has another 10-20 years, maybe longer. Obviously this one had good provenance. I'll probably open up my B2 in 10 years after this tasting, just to see if the bourbon has settled and the fruit is still there.

Most surprising beer of the day for me was Styrbjorn. Agree with @leroybrown10 is was heavy jam/dark fruit. I will add that the viscosity and mouthfeel on this beer is closer to port than beer. It had such a decadent mouthfeel that each sip last 30-60 seconds from the coating in your mouth. I was really blown away how much I liked this.

And finally, Pulling nails 10 was not a junker like the last time I had it. This was served closer to room temp and was much more drinkable than the first time I had it. First time I drain poured my bottle I thought it was gross. This one was cherries, vinegar, and figs and was rather pleasant.

To the Good Samaritan who brought Heart of darkness, may the beer Gods forever shine upon you. Really fun to have HoD with both Scribe. @leroybrown10 was this you??

When I started out 2022 I never thought I would try Scribe b1 or Derivation b2. I am so thrilled to have tried both now. Onto Oude Fermier b1 this weekend and I can die a happy SP fanboy.

12. coryking

coryking Initiate (115) Sep 21, 2008 Missouri

Only because there are plenty of people who will read this yet who are not active participants/posters here, I would love to see proof of our "manipulation" of numbers just so the air is clear for all. I publicly posted our production numbers, not a lot of change in quite a few years, so no reason for me to be anything but truthful. I cannot make up beer that we do not have. We have produced pretty much the same amount year over year. We have never shared release numbers (people always asked), so why would we now?

Sometimes we release an entire batch to LC, sometimes we split it, sometimes we hold some back for public, sometimes we hold some back for over the bar to-go, sometimes we hold some back just for on-site consumption and sometimes we hold some back just for vintage releases at a later date. We, being a brewery that has the luxury of aging beer, have a lot of different avenues to take when we release beer. Not sure where manipulation of numbers fall in to our process? If we do not sell beer, we cannot pay our people, at the root of this whole thing, breweries are also businesses with employees relying on us to provide for them.

Furthermore, as mentioned earlier, flavor is a subjective thing, Im not going to enjoy every beer which you do and you are not going to enjoy every beer which I do. In your opinion, our beer should taste better, I welcome your opinion, but if that was the overwhelming majority of opinions out there, we wouldn't still be standing. If you do not like our beer, can I ask why you participate in this thread?

13. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (143) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Thanks so much for the reviews on the Scribe lineup. Sounds like I might need to try to track down a bottle of Styrbjorn

14. Affinity

Trader

@coryking what are you most excited about in 2023?

Anything you have hidden in barrels that would make people gasp?

Any considerations to oak-age lagers?

Thanks in advance!

15. galos11

galos11 Zealot (530) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Because that’s how any forum works. Just like you coming on here to challenge people. If you didn’t care what people say why are you posting?

16. leroybrown10

Society Trader

[​IMG]

17. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,875) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

18. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (589) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

19. flat_lander

flat_lander Meyvn (1,000) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

FIB lyf baby.

Jaycase, Sabtos and SeekerOfLight like this.
  20. SeekerOfLight

SeekerOfLight Initiate (7) Jun 25, 2021

You know Cory I was biting my tongue but I guess I will chime in after you have said your piece. I would have appreciated you coming on here a lot more if the responses you gave weren't vague and strangely targeted.

You package the beer that doesn't sell with the beer that does, plain and simple, and that is fine. It is your business and you are free to do with it what you will. But don't come on here in an attempted blaze of glory and tell us that you do it to make it easier on us and your staff for order logistics. Respect the intelligence of the people that purchase your products a little more.

Hopelessly0, Jaycase, Sabtos and 3 others like this.
  21. coryking

Sorry, not trying to challenge anyone. Was really a general question. Going to be cliche here, but if one isn't here to advocate for beer, then what's the point. I know that not everyone likes our beer, I'm not an idiot and have known that since day 1, but just seems odd to me to want to log in to a forum to post about things one doesn't like instead of finding places they can talk about that they do like. The joys of 9000 breweries in this country now, there is a ton a great beer from great places that no one talks about...

Absolutely. 2023 marks 10 years. Going to have fun next year.

Bringing back at least 3 beers that have only been released once (Orviamo, Brett Project #1, Saison de Rouge). More nostalgic beers that I want to re-enjoy. Also planning on some which we have never released (a quintuple BA stout, maybe a dbl BBL derivation actually to-go, different finish for dbl BBL Anabasis), but like always, its a function of the barrels producing the beers we want them to.

22. MKE_Hopspur

MKE_Hopspur Initiate (57) Mar 15, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

My intention was never to come across as attacking. You're actual quote was:
    If not being truthful about the figures is not manipulation then what is a better term? Merriam seems to agree that "artfully" representing the numbers is pretty spot on for manipulation: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/manipulate

Sabtos and Beer_Economicus like this.
  23. coryking

No dig on your intelligence. My comment was we started packages back in 2020 during the pandemic to make things (packaging orders) easier on our staff. Packages have just stuck around since then.

Also, I've been into wine for years. Packages in that industry are commonplace so I didn't find them odd when we started them but can definitely see that they strike a cord with some.

#3183 coryking, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  24. coryking

Ah. I took your comment about manipulation is in we were trying to artificially increase demand by pretending something is more limited than it is. I'll be honest, I'm not as involved in the online beer communities/trading groups as I once was. Back when breweries would hype up a release to then only release 100 bottles to-go to drive secondary. I just took your comment as we were trying to build hype. Never trying to make people mad at us with our releases...

25. Heisenbrew

Trader

26. flat_lander

flat_lander Meyvn (1,000) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Any particular recent favorites? Sorry, we've now turned this into the most awkward AMA.

27. Resistance88

Trader

Great beer exists everywhere.... mbc salesmen stop charging 300 for BBT. Straight from the brewers mouth

28. coryking

Ha! Not awkward at all :wink:.

Sadly, I don't get out as much as I used to. When Karen and I travel, we do try to stop by whatever local brewery there is even if we are with the kids. Over the last 2 years some breweries that we had a nice time at were Other Half DC (of course), Silver Bluff Brewing (they had this awesome outdoor space where our kids could run around and play games), There Does Not Exist (great beers, we stopped by there with Matt before brewing our Firestone Walker collab), Beer Lab (the first brewery I got to visit with Karen when COVID travel restrictions ended), plenty of solid beers everywhere.

29. Resistance88

Trader

I just wanna know if cory thinks BBT is worth the resale value of 300+...

Luscious_Malfoy likes this.
  30. Ckgibu

Ckgibu Initiate (117) Jun 3, 2020 Hawaii
    Trader

@coryking , curious to know what beers you happened to like at Beer Lab? I was a fan of theirs when they first started, but then they just got straight up wacky with their experimentation, not for the better, so I stopped visiting as much. It probably didn't help them that that's when @Affinity also introduced me to SP, & my entire understanding of beer changed forever!

31. Coraciiformes

Coraciiformes Initiate (29) Jun 1, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

Are you all going to be making any other still beers in the future? Really enjoy being able to come back to bottles like MJK a few times over a week or weekend.

32. leroybrown10

Society Trader

I’m going to say he does not.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/side-project-2018.261587/page-69#post-6220551

“To answer some of your questions:
    How couldn't I expect someone to sell a bottle thats worth 50 times what they paid for it - I honestly can't. Hence the reason I don't like the secondary market (something that really didn't exist when I used to trade beer). If there wasn't all of these FB and underground selling sites, then a bottle wouldn't be given a 50 times value and then the owners of the bottles wouldn't be tempted to sell them. I understand why people sell the bottles, but like stated, I don't like it. A $60 bottle tastes better than a $3000 bottle.”

33. Resistance88

Trader

Thank you.

I can sleep now

Cory... did you try Temple Of Minerva at the SPInvitational?

Thoughts if you did?

34. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Aspirant (277) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Honestly I thought you would be more active on this site considering it was BA member who busted the guy who was counterfeiting and reselling your beer for 2 years…oh and the irritating fanboys also.

35. Resistance88

Trader

amen to that.
    Especially the cult like fan boys

36. Affinity

Trader

There are more irritating trolls on this forum than fanboys.

I don’t understand why people come here to be divisive. The world is divisive enough. This is a hobby that represents an escape for many of us. When I meet people face to face I find that beer brings people together from all walks of life.

Why would you dedicate hours to a hobby to criticize others and be divisive? If that is your prerogative maybe you should just read the news. I just don’t understand the people who come here and are annoyed that people have a shared interest that brings them together.

37. Heisenbrew

Trader

I wonder which camp I fall into:thinking_face:

38. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

it’s perfectly fine to have opinions and not everyone is going to agree on everything (even inside the SP fans they don’t always agree that a certain beer was good or that a release was run well) but we get the owner & head brewer on here, which was a very nice treat because it’s great information straight from the source, and folks want to turn it into a dick swinging contest or an airing of grievances.

39. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

the “i like to stir the pot and watch the world burn” camp :wink:

40. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Aspirant (277) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Agreed. SP trolls.

Resistance88 likes this.