Side Project / Shared (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by bread_c, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (932) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

If this has turned into an informal AMA, I’ll ask the question that has been discussed a lot on here, but is too awkward or confrontational for most to ask: What is the deal with prices @coryking ?

We all understand that SP is not only a business, but your business, so we understand that you can charge anything you want. -But it would be nice to understand the motivation behind those prices given that so many feel like prices (and associated packages - which doesn’t even come with a choice of which additional beers) are a cash grab.

A lot of people thought early on that high prices were partially driven as a means to raise capital and expand. Then during Covid, packages were even (largely) accepted as a means to help keep not only the doors open, but everyone employed. Now you have 3 total locations, no plans to expand further, prices are higher than ever, prices have risen by more than any other brewery that I am aware of, SP is in the most expensive (or top 3) brewery in the US (world?), and there aren’t even any flagship saisons at reasonable prices (compared to say, hill farmstead, which is arguably one of if not the best comparison to make).

So, what drives these prices, and why are they the highest in the industry? It feels to a lot of us on this forum that SP pricing is driven by what the market will handle, not because your costs are inordinately and astronomically high compared to every other brewery. Ie, it feels like it is your choice, since prices are high on ALL SP beers, not just particular beers. (Again, Hill is a good example, as they do have expensive beers, but they are balanced out with the plethora of cheaper offerings that are some of the best in the entire world.)

Jaycase, shadetree67, Sabtos and 3 others like this.
  2. davidtarnow

davidtarnow Initiate (126) Mar 19, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

@coryking

I celebrate your entire catalog.

Can i get into LC please?
    Thank you for your consideration!
    -DT

3. Affinity

Affinity Aspirant (261) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Trader

:hugging:

4. _mark_s

_mark_s Aspirant (239) Feb 27, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Orviamo is an all timer - an still holding strong as of 2 weeks ago.

5. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (4,311) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

never had any of those beers listed. also never “chased” them but very excited to be (hopefully) be able to try them in the future.

6. TNCraftBeer

TNCraftBeer Initiate (176) Oct 7, 2014 Tennessee
    Trader

Orviamo is probably the biggest SP whale that I’ve yet to try. Gonna have to put some effort into that one with a B2 coming up.

7. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Poo-Bah (1,591) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Society Trader

Side Project beer is a luxury product. The sooner you can accept that you are poor and can't afford it, the happier you will be.

8. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

or you could just try b2. it’s not like they’re going to be comparable unless you’re planning to wait 7-8 years to try b2.

Thirst_trappist and Sabtos like this.
  9. rmpic82

rmpic82 Disciple (325) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Trader

FTFY - the heart wants what it wants!

10. TNCraftBeer

Trader

Tickers gotta tick, man.

11. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

i don’t think it’s quite fair to assess someone’s income, lifestyle or spending habits based on whether or not they drink SP (or any other beer). and i’m 99.99% sure Beer Econ would agree that SP is a luxury product. i think, given his name, he has a general interest in pricing models of breweries and the market for craft beer in general. something that, whether we admit it or not, is a very real thing that affects craft beer drinkers. i don’t think that just because consumer A purchases a BBT for $60 and consumer B purchases 4 or 5 BCBS for that same price because they see it as comparable and more bang for their buck makes them any less of a craft beer enthusiast (or necessarily any less a fan of SP), and it certainly doesn’t make them poor.

12. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

i feel you - to a certain extent that cuts off at about the 2 year mark as far as when a beer was released.

Thirst_trappist and TNCraftBeer like this.
  13. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (236) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

This thread has it all now

14. MilwaukeeBeerMaker

MilwaukeeBeerMaker Zealot (546) Jun 30, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

@coryking - Coming from New Berlin, WI in April 2023 for my first visit to SP; beyond excited and it will be a long several months waiting. Have had a few in my craft days, enjoyed most of them, and anxious to be there IP and start tearing into the cellar list. Keep doing what you're doing and we're going to do some work while there!

15. Affinity

Trader

There's a point where some of these questions are intriguing. Then there's a point where it is complaining. Asking why the beer is "expensive" over and over and over and over gets old (and frankly it's not more expensive than other beers around town).

Just because you have Econ in your BA name, does not mean the questions you ask are somehow more insightful. This is a sophomorish attempt at understanding free markets. Where is the data that Side Project is the "most expensive (or top 3) brewery in the US (world?)"? I can go online and see how they are consistently rated in the top 3 in beer rankings, but not cost. This seems made up in an attempt to support your long drawn out question, which if I can summarize from the last 2-3 years of reading your posts, "why is Side Project too expensive for me to afford?".

In the end, you are trolling Side Project for what you feel is a product that is not worth the cost. Anyone who has followed your posts over the past 2-3 years knows this. It's getting old bro...

16. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (154) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Eighth State BA bottles are usually $43 (after tax) for 375ml. Not sure how that compares to SP.

17. JPick

JPick Initiate (192) Sep 7, 2013 Missouri
    Trader

I don’t think this is fair. Most of us COULD manage to pay $200 for a package of beer. I love SP beers and have been in since day 1, but I’ve quit buying almost all of their beers in the last year because packages for stouts and barleywines force me to buy sours that I have zero interest whatsoever in, and I feel a little silly spending $200 for a bottle of beer that I open ONE time and then it’s gone. I think that’s part of the frustration that many on this thread are describing…their favorite local brewer that they’ve supported so much over the years has priced them out or made it to where you actually question your own sanity if you drink them.

18. Readmorevols

Readmorevols Initiate (70) Jun 5, 2016 Tennessee
    Trader

Clapping emoji/gif.

Shit is beyond old. Combined with the “having to choose between” remark it’s beyond laughable.

19. mando31

mando31 Aspirant (257) Oct 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Sheesh! Some of you guys must be LOADED with money.

20. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (236) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

I feel like this thread is basically the beer equivalent of twitter & student loan forgiveness this week

21. smalony

smalony Initiate (94) Apr 19, 2020 Missouri
    Trader

Tete and OF '20 added to on-site list at the cellar, $50/btl.

CdC #10 also added for $40.

22. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

@Affinity i agree with your points. i really wasn’t trying to defend anything / anyone. more comment on what i thought was an odd or off color remark. we have the forum to ask questions and Cory has the choice whether or not to respond. i suspect he will not respond to that certain question and that’s fine. we are lucky to have him sign in and join in as he is not at all obligated to do that. and even he just said, there’s lot of great options out there. that couldn’t be more true. and as all beer arguments end so will this one: “in the end, it’s just beer” :slight_smile:

23. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

CK passes bill to forgive first $10,000 in sours people still have on hand from packages over the last 2.5 years.

i for one am enraged as i paid my debt by drinking them all and can’t be happy for others that not only need but get a break in life

ok, now is it’s like the twitter discourse on student loan forgiveness :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

24. Readmorevols

Readmorevols Initiate (70) Jun 5, 2016 Tennessee
    Trader

Not what I meant all. Just saying the idea aloud of having to choose between doing something for my family or buying a higher end alcohol product is mind boggling for me.

25. Affinity

Trader

You don’t have to be loaded to be annoyed with someone complaining about costs every release. It’s too expensive? Then don’t buy it. No need to come here to proclaim that some great injustice is being hurled upon you.

26. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,359) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I'm not sure if you're fully aware of this reality, but you run literally the most hyped brewery in the world going on around the last five years now. People with varying levels of love or hate for your product will expound upon their opinion most especially here than elsewhere. This thread is actually extremely tame in comparison to others.

Hopefully this edit isn't too late, but while I have your attention, any intentions of making a clean BA quad as opposed to a sour fruited one? I just can't bring myself to get excited for Scribe and Styrborn.

27. MattOC

MattOC Defender (683) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

28. rmpic82

Trader

29. Ckgibu

Ckgibu Initiate (117) Jun 3, 2020 Hawaii
    Trader

FML, I just agreed to cover a colleague’s shifts that weekend….takebacks? Mulligan? :grimacing::thinking_face:

30. smalony

smalony Initiate (94) Apr 19, 2020 Missouri
    Trader

I work a ton of weekends (including this one, so no Ferm Day), but miraculously have no obligations on that one in September. Hallelujah.

31. Affinity

Trader

The Sovereign in DC is hosting a Zwanze day!

32. rmpic82

Trader

My sadness is mostly about missing the next Candles and associated BA beers at SP that weekend, but The Sovereign would have been a great option if I wasn’t flying in on Sunday, the 25th. Also, being gone from the fam for four days is max, so taking a detour to SP or Sovereign for Zwanze Day wouldn’t be a go. I’m lucky though! Have had lots of great beer over the years - someone else gets a turn!

33. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,192) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

damn too much of a short notice to get the time off work, maybe sometime in november I can pull off. but this would definitely be the week to go

34. TNCraftBeer

Trader

35. FightingIrish70

FightingIrish70 Initiate (88) Sep 28, 2009 Missouri
    Trader

If it makes you feel any better, the new Candles are typically released at The Cellar's anniversary party in November.

36. flat_lander

flat_lander Savant (998) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I'll speak your language here. My kids eat non-organic bananas so that I can occasionally get in on some SP package action.

37. rmpic82

Trader

Oh hell - why was I associating candles with Birthday? I’m pretty simple so probably just connected the two.

38. Ckgibu

Ckgibu Initiate (117) Jun 3, 2020 Hawaii
    Trader

Pro tip: Make your own coffee (instead of supporting Starbucks) and then you can use the savings to get in on some SP action.
    Bonus: When done right (not difficult), it'll taste better too!

***Non-organic bananas for the win!***

39. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,192) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

pro pro tip: stop feeding kids to get in on sp action.

[​IMG]

40. MattOC

MattOC Defender (683) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

This thread going to make a bunch of millionaires next door with all these tips, non organic bananas and at home coffee. Sky is the limit on packages and prices Cory! (I’m a billionaire so not impacted either way)