Side Project / Shared (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by bread_c, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (237) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

So….Tete/CDC/Oude reviews?

2. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (143) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

This is my favorite Untappd review I’ve seen so far for OF v2020:
    “Crisp, tart. Very dry white wine forward. Amazing to revisit this beer.”

3. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,416) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Pretty sure Cory got his fill of Beer Advocate and won't be checking back in for about 5 years.

[​IMG]

4. Vitacca

Vitacca Zealot (560) Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Trader

5. JJ_17

JJ_17 Aspirant (206) Apr 22, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

I appreciate Side Project for the revolution they created in the beer scene. I pined for SP beer from afar for a long time and the lucky few had access. The beer scene is blessed to have Cory King… you and Levi Funk.. he brought my first “method traditionelle”. Thank you both for blessing us with your talent.

6. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (4,343) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

anyone try new OF, Tete or CDC last night?

anyone lined up for the release today?

7. Heisenbrew

Trader

The line is small and most people are here for on site

8. smalony

smalony Initiate (94) Apr 19, 2020 Missouri
    Trader

Any idea what the to-go limits are?

9. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,498) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Have you had a lot of Jester King? Love the stuff that comes out of FF, especially now because they've quietly gotten better over the years, but JK hits my sweet spot of funk, oak and low acid.

As far as SP goes today, looks like people are popping serious non-SP bottles on-site.

10. Heisenbrew

Trader

No limit for anything

11. shadetree67

shadetree67 Disciple (311) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

I'm shocked there is no limit for oude fermier. Hopefully some of it makes it to the online store

12. Heisenbrew

Trader

It was nice talking with BA members in person

Including Cory :sunglasses:

13. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

are you still in LC?

14. ShutUpLiver

ShutUpLiver Initiate (81) Nov 29, 2020 Missouri
    Trader

I’m still at the Brewery if anyone else is. Red and blue striped polo at the bar if anyone wants to say hi.

My limited impressions of OF and Tete 2020:

Oude Fermier - Yellow citrus and funk on the nose. Great carbonation and texture in the palate, shifting from sweet tart to lemon peel and apricot notes.

Tete de Cuvee - Similar flavor notes, maybe a little more stone fruit on the palate. I’m struck by how delicate and soft this is in mouthfeel, almost ethereal.

Hard to choose between the two.

15. JJ_17

Trader

I enjoy JK as well. The Spon series has been fantastic. I used to live in WI so I was spoiled with a lot of FFG beer and New Glarus. Loved all of the R&Ds and that Vintage series was awesome (they age magnificently if you like funk). I love peach fruited sours - all of them (especially Fuzzy). I remember trading a 4 pack of BCBCS back in the day for my first Fuzzy. Also, enjoy Casey. I think I still have gut rot from drinking through my Upland membership back in the day (that Paw Paw tho). The one brewery I wish to try more of in the sour realm is De Garde. I’ve had some great stuff from them but never ticked Broken Truck (man that beer used to trade insane) and have only had limited amounts of their stuff. Frampaars was the beer that really turned me onto sours back when Levi first released beer out of Oso.

#3255 JJ_17, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  16. MattOC

MattOC Defender (686) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Happy Fermier Day!

[​IMG]

Blend #6

17. AlexIrigoyen

AlexIrigoyen Initiate (112) Jun 3, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

Sounds like they didn’t kill Tete by reducing time in barrels by a few months. Maybe this Cory King guy knows what he’s doing.

18. Heisenbrew

Trader

After having all 3:

Tete > OF > CDC as of now, but I feel like Oude will age better than Tete

19. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Poo-Bah (1,591) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Society Trader

Thought Tete > CdC10 > OF20

Think OF20 will age great. Tete drinking phenomenal. CdC got a very smooth funkiness.

KevSal, OakvilleKGB, Affinity and 3 others like this.
  20. JJ_17

Trader

If Tete and OF hit the site - I’m going to have a hard time not making the STL pilgrimage. I’ve had my eyes on Open Spaces and I’d really struggle if the others hit. Couldn’t make Fermier Day happen unfortunately but hope all enjoy.

21. Heisenbrew

Trader

Realistically I’d imagine they will. Turnout was pretty low.

22. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Poo-Bah (1,591) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Society Trader

Was not expecting the line to wrap around to Sutton, but pretty surprised how short the line was

23. ShutUpLiver

Trader

Yeah. I got there at 2:30 and didn’t see any activity in the back of the brewery. They opened the parking lot back up.

24. DanfromSTL

DanfromSTL Initiate (13) Mar 4, 2021 Missouri

Tete 20 brought forth the funk and complexity while still being light in color, was materially more enjoyable than 19. Grabbed several bottles to go.

25. ShutUpLiver

Trader

For these beers, the vintage is based on the youngest saison in the blend. Anyone know what the oldest are? The Oude Fermier #2 (released in 2017) was pretty oxidized, clearly I prefer these in their youth.

26. ShutUpLiver

Trader

Agreed. Enjoyed it a lot more than the 19 on tap. Might go back for more.

27. Affinity

Affinity Aspirant (262) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Been chasing the beers I ticked this week for many years. Scribe b1, Framboise du Fermier b1, Kriek du Fermier b1, Abricot b1, Peche b1, and Oude Fermier b1.

Oude Fermier b1 was so cool to try. Light, clean, lemony, wine barrel that you wanted to crush. I probably got Monkeypox from letting 3-4 people sip from my glass, but it's the kind of beer you want others to share in the experience with.

Oude Fermier b2 was a bit more bitter than I remember, earthy almost. I remember it being the GOAT, but not on this day. Not sure if the bottle was oxidized, but it did not stand out. Oude Fermier b3 was up there with b1, tons of flavor, wine barrel, some stone fruit, citrus, and a beer that seems like it has aging potential.

Big up to the kind soul who brought b1 Framboise, Peche, Abricot, and Bluet to the parking lot for everyone to share. Framboise was a total treat. Maybe the best line share I have every done. Best beer of the day was Kriek du Fermier b1 that was pleasantly enjoyed with a new friend @leroybrown10.

All the b1 fermiers had held up really great except maybe Cassis, which was off. Pinot b1 was excellent as was CDC 10. 364 days until the next Fermier day.

bberzina, marshy21, KevSal and 12 others like this.
  28. TNCraftBeer

TNCraftBeer Initiate (176) Oct 7, 2014 Tennessee
    Trader

@leroybrown10 kind of sucks, imo.

29. kcbeersathome

kcbeersathome Initiate (26) Jun 1, 2020 Kansas
    Trader

What about OF makes you think that it will age well? Not challenging your assessment. Just genuinely want to gain some knowledge. Cheers!

30. Heisenbrew

Trader

I’m not really sure how to describe it but it just seems younger and it’s the least acidic/tart of the three. It’s very oaky and it feels like that will be really nice with some time.

31. Affinity

Trader

Is Derivation 5 extinct? Or is it on the endangered list?

OakvilleKGB and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  32. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

drafts maybe? weren’t bottles infected?

33. Affinity

Trader

I thought bottles were infected, but wasn't sure if any bottles or kegs were still around. Heard a rumor yesterday that it may be extinct, but wanted to see if anyone here knew.

Luscious_Malfoy likes this.
  34. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (937) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

When it comes to alcohol, nothing is ever extinct it seems. Every time we think it is, someone pops up with one. Particularly when something is infected (or in the case of Raj), there’s no point in opening (and drain pouring), so people just keep holding onto it. It’s impossible to track something like this, truly, no matter how good you are. If you are trying to track one down, I’m sure it would take a little bit of time, but I am sure you could.

Luscious_Malfoy likes this.
  35. CypressPaul1

CypressPaul1 Initiate (44) Nov 24, 2019 Georgia

Let’s not get preoccupied with whether or not we could track down a 5+ year old rum barrel coffee stout, and think about if we should.

36. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,192) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

Also got into the celebration yesterday
    [​IMG]
    2019 is drinking amazing right now, really hit the spot on a hot afternoon

[​IMG]
    Fun line up, cheers fellas!

37. hops_for_thought

hops_for_thought Crusader (711) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

How was the Muscat? Plan to open mine in a couple weeks, curious what you thought

KevSal and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  38. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (171) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

How is Continuance holding up?

OakvilleKGB and KevSal like this.
  39. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,498) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

It continues.

40. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

before D10 came out Cory said his plan was to make every 5th entry in the Derivation series a rum barrel-aged coffee vanilla imperial stout. guess that isn’t the case considering D15. maybe quality rum barrels are hard to source. not complaint as D15 is incredible.

also, i had D5 on draft at the 2nd brewery anniversary in December 2017 (i think?) and it was damn good. no idea how it would be now though, although keg would probably keep the best i suppose.

OakvilleKGB, KevSal and MattOC like this.