Side Project / Shared (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by bread_c, Jan 1, 2022.

1. MattOC

MattOC Defender (686) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

2. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (143) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Oh nice, Unblended Fencerow is one of those beers I always wanted to tick but I assumed there weren’t any kegs left.

Wish I could justify staying until Monday to try the DBD Vanilla

3. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (4,343) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

i had unblended fencerow at one of the cellar anniversaries. i want to say 2019.. at any rate it was incredible!

4. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (237) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Please no D8 keg for coconut stouts

5. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

speaking of that, doesn’t that part kind of read like there could almost be a new BA coconut stout? why not list them?

6. bread_c

Trader

Will be curious to see how the change in Zwanze lineup affects the ticket sellout time

7. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Poo-Bah (1,591) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Society Trader

DBD Vanilla is worth the justification. Best to try it now before it fades.

8. pconn10

pconn10 Initiate (90) May 19, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

Vanilla is my favorite adjunct and DBD vanilla blew me away. Might have to try and swing by there Monday to experience it again.

9. smalony

smalony Initiate (94) Apr 19, 2020 Missouri
    Trader

The keg of D11 at the cellar already kicked. Damn.

10. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (158) Aug 21, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

I stopped by the cellar today and as a barley/wheatwine fanatic I just wanna say how sad I am how many people were ignoring Maple in the Wood. D11 was quite good, but MITW with 2+ years to tone down the maple was phenomenal.

11. pconn10

Trader

loved that beer. DB MITW is high up on my list of favorite SP beers as well

12. pconn10

Trader

Also they have Pinot SdF Blend 1 on tap at the brewery and it might be the best saison I’ve ever had

13. Heisenbrew

Trader

This is what I’m getting when I’m reading too far into it

(Please let us be right)

#3373 Heisenbrew, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  14. Heisenbrew

Trader

Opened up parfait. It’s actually not a mess. Nothing really pops out as overbearing.

15. hops_for_thought

hops_for_thought Crusader (711) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

[​IMG]

cracked CdC 9, which I think I few people have commented on - it’s basically passion fruit juice. No carb; tons of passion fruit on the nose and swallow (… duh); pleasantly tart (gets a tad bit much in the finish, more so once it’s warmed)

Overall, would pair well with breakfast

16. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (163) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

Which says a lot because there was hardly any maple to begin with and maple in the wood was phenomenal at the start as well.

17. smalony

smalony Initiate (94) Apr 19, 2020 Missouri
    Trader

The Parfait #4 market seems to be insane.

Curious if anyone thinks it's a fomo / LC buyout thing, or is it that much better than previous versions?

18. leroybrown10

Society Trader

It seemed crazy before anyone tried it.

19. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

[​IMG]

happy long weekend, all.

20. jno

jno Initiate (57) Nov 29, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

I saw they canned it the other day. Did I blink and totally miss the public sale of Parfait cans?

21. leroybrown10

Society Trader

There was no public sale

22. KUbeerfan

KUbeerfan Initiate (73) Feb 9, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

PN15 incoming.

Today we have a blend that was inspired to be a re-creation of a favorite of ours - Pulling Nails Blend #8.

At first, I was tempted to just call this beer "8" or "#8" or something like that. The one drawback of this series of beers is when you want to re-create one of them, you can't technically make Blend #8 again, it either gets a whole new name, or it just becomes the next number in the series.

Introducing Pulling Nails Blend #15...

I pulled the notes from Pulling Nails #8 to mimic the fruiting addition exactly - the ratio of Raspberries to Cherries. Then we blended up what could be the best foundation for these fruits and their refermentation by using the base for the Blend #8 as a guide.

Where Blend #8 used a portion of spontaneous beer back-blended with a 1-year-old Saison, Blend #15 uses a base of our lambic-inspired beer (quick turbid mash, funkiest of our cultures, expresses itself somewhere between Coexpressionalism and our old spontaneous beers) blended with Oude Fermier and a Brett-forward Saison for some additional Brett spice and classical "funk." The blend was refermented on Raspberries and Cherries for less than 2 months (just like Blend #8 yet unlike any other Side Project beer ever) and then allowed to bottle condition since early May. ”

23. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,192) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

hmm, didnt they already try to recreate 8 with one f the recent PNs? i guess this one is more focused, hopefully its a banger, pn8 is impossible to get. it would have been cool if they gave this one a proper label and called it eight tho

24. leroybrown10

Society Trader

Pulling Nails 12 was 8-ish. Black raspberries instead of red. It was damn good.

25. MattOC

Trader

26. Heisenbrew

Trader

I hope PN15 recaptures that PN8 magic

27. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (937) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

All this talk about PN15.

I feel like SP has set the expectation so far that when they do a beer great the first time, the second time it absolutely murders. Don’t know how that is possible. It’s rare. But they do it. BBT B2, RBBT B2 latest Coco Vibes are all great examples (yea, coco isn’t just B2, but just saying). That said, PN is a beer that at least FEELS like it would be significantly harder to dial in and make “better” the second time around. Pretty exciting stuff, and quite curious what comes of it.

28. AlexIrigoyen

AlexIrigoyen Initiate (112) Jun 3, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

RBBT1 was probably my favorite SP stout I've ever had so this makes me really excited to open my B2

29. MattOC

Trader

I never posted my review from July when a buddy and I split them. They were both quite different to me, but outstanding alone. That said, I think we had B1 getting the nod as better/preferred even though I went back and forth with each sip. There were no losers that day. One of my favorite drinking experiences recently. Enjoy it.

#3389 MattOC, Sep 7, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  30. MattOC

Trader

In Person Zwanze tickets on sale at The Cellar, now, from Karen and Shae.

31. bread_c

Trader

Well, looks like my IG notifications are all jacked up. Doesn't bode well for the online sale!

32. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

i’ve been having issues too. especially with SP & the Cellar.

33. Ckgibu

Ckgibu Initiate (117) Jun 3, 2020 Hawaii
    Trader

Ditto on the notifications

34. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

but i’m getting all the Shared ones about happy hour special and slow pours of CM :rofl:

35. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,498) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

That's interesting. In that case I wouldn't be too excited for b2. I know I won't be seeking it out.

I did a side by side BBT 2020 with RBBT 2020 this weekend and was very disappointed in how nearly indistinguishable they were from each other. Don't get me wrong, they were both great beers, but any rye influence was almost entirely imperceptible on the RBBT.

Coming from someone who not only loves rye barrel aged stouts far and away more than their bourbon barrel aged counterparts under most circumstances, but also paid a hefty sacrifice for the b1 bottle, this was a collosal let down, only intensified by the fact that we all found the regular BBT to be the better of the two. It really was unbelievable. I can't tell you how many chances I gave it over at least an hour to try to change my mind, but it never developed into something more, or even distinct.

36. MattOC

Trader

That’s unfortunate. Pallets/palettes/palates, I guess. I certainly think RBBT22 is worth seeking out despite your experience with ‘20.

37. Hopelessly0

Hopelessly0 Disciple (337) May 13, 2019 California
    Trader

I just had b2 this weekend and while it was a great beer, my friends and I still definitely prefer regular BBT. To be fair though, I'm not too big on rye barrels. But like Sabtos, I can't say I felt like RBBT b2 had as much rye influence either, at least not as much as I've tried in some other beers.

38. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

new batch of Tommy Fresh (batch #4) listed as “NEW” on the Brewery tasting room’s draft and to-go menu. this batch was triple dry-hopped with Simcoe, Mosaic and El Dorado.

also, KdF b1 listed for on-site bottles at the tasting room.

39. MattOC

Trader

Nice. Everyone has their different experiences.

40. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,498) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I know the THICCNESS is a major component of what people like about SP stouts, but I wonder what everyone thinks about the viscosity potentially muting flavors, and whether or not any added lactose for mouthfeel is detrimental to the development or expression of complex nuance.

Luscious_Malfoy likes this.