Side Project / Shared (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by bread_c, Jan 1, 2022.

1. JJ_17

JJ_17 Aspirant (206) Apr 22, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Yes, go to the place you ordered. Not the location on the confirmation for pickup.

2. smalony

smalony Initiate (94) Apr 19, 2020 Missouri
    Trader

First Zwanze Day in the books. That was a lot of fun. Incredibly casual yet well-organized. Tried everything I wanted to try, minus DB Anabasis inside the brewery. Super happy to see DB Generational inside--that was a treat. (PN8 was a bit of a letdown. Too acidic for me.)

I don't think you're on here, but cheers to Ryan for trading me raffle tickets for pizza.

Sneaky highlight was Japoolzi, the Monkish/Trillium/Veil Triple NEIPA. That was way too smooth to be a 10.5% triple.

#3602 smalony, Sep 24, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  3. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Poo-Bah (1,591) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Society Trader

Best Zwanze Day beer was Thousand Summers Cuvee and it wasn’t close. Had 5 pours and regret not having more before it kicked.

4. smalony

Trader

They had that this year. It was delicious. I had two pours and witnessed the keg kicking. Sad.

5. leroybrown10

Society Trader

I know they had it this year. I drank 5 pours of it…

6. smalony

Trader

Oh my bad. I read that like you were referencing a prior year. Cheers.

7. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (237) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

But is it better than Ashley cuvée?

8. JJ_17

JJ_17 Aspirant (206) Apr 22, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

So I walked into SP yesterday and the only one of the celebration bottles left was BBT 21. On one hand I was pumped to have BBT 21 but also a little disappointed I’d missed some of the other brews I hadn’t had. I looked around and the place was packed. I saw an open seat at the long table and asked if I could sit.

These guys were awesome - they had BBT ‘18, ‘20 and DBA all open. I didn’t even have to ask for a pour. They just immediately grabbed a glass and started pouring me in and said you gotta try this. Later on a table next to us poured us in on BBT ‘19.

I just thought I’d highlight that we do have a great beer community and a lot of cool, generous people out there. Beer enthusiasts sometimes get labeled as hoarders but this was the opposite of that. What a great environment you guys have at SP. And the beer was awesome!!!

9. Heisenbrew

Trader

First BA Coconut is D12

10. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (4,343) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

might be my favorite adjuncted Derivation

11. Heisenbrew

Trader

Others are DM & the last keg of Ba Coco Vibes

12. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

not that that isn’t a stellar lineup (and one helluva way to get adult onset diabetes) but why not just announce that shit ahead of time like everything else?

13. SlickRickBobby

SlickRickBobby Initiate (17) Apr 22, 2021
    Trader

Cause it’s fun and drives interest and excitement and conversation, would be my guess. They know every neckbeard around is going to try to make the trip, might as well have some fun with it.

14. Barden314

Barden314 Initiate (10) May 16, 2022 Missouri

I know I’m most likely in the minority in this group… personally coconut is disgusting & when are they gonna stop putting it in almost every stout! Just my 2 cents

15. MKE_Hopspur

MKE_Hopspur Initiate (57) Mar 15, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

I think you answered your own question.

16. Heisenbrew

Trader

More coconut stouts please

17. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,498) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

While I don't hate coconut, I prefer coconut characteristics in beer when they're pulled from barrel vanillin and char, moreso than when they're achieved by putting several human sized tea bags of coconut in a tank. That said, there have been some gems, most recently Rev's Deth by Coconut, the base for which isn't typically a fave of mine. But SPs and Shared's have always been too sweet for me. Most recently had DM and mah gawd, that was out of control. Obviously we're talking on a different scale and that was still a good beer in the greater beer world, but I kinda felt bad for whatever the base could have been without all the flavoring additives.

But we're at the mercy of the beer geeks and neckbeards, and they demand their pastry sludge.

18. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,192) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

that’s tough, I’d say it is but only becasue wac hype is too high. I really enjoyed thousand cuvée from the bottle more than on tap. Also I have b3 the weekend before cuvée dropped and enjoy It more than both.

19. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,192) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

Actually I had parfait 4 last night and the coconut was subtle and perfect for that beer, I think you’d like that one. Hazel but done well too

20. MattOC

MattOC Defender (686) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think @Heisenbrew was being being sarcastic since I recall him panning West Ashley Cuvée.

21. ShutUpLiver

ShutUpLiver Initiate (81) Nov 29, 2020 Missouri
    Trader

Any of you guys here in the brewery? D12 still
    up. I’m standing in the back in a polka dot polo watching the Chiefs, come say hi.

22. leroybrown10

Society Trader

This is not my burner account

23. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

[​IMG]

finishing up Anabasis b6 bottle after having a pour Friday night and Saturday night. i think last night (2nd night) it was at its best but it’s still tasting great today. simply re-capped and stored in the fridge. today’s pour had been sitting out for almost an hour before pouring.

24. Heisenbrew

Trader

Sarcasm is my middle name

25. BobCobb

BobCobb Aspirant (299) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Just left, as had most others. Neither DM nor BACV had been crossed from board.

26. MattOC

MattOC Defender (686) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

It’s probably like John or something.

27. Heisenbrew

Trader

Well that’s scarily accurate

28. flat_lander

flat_lander Meyvn (1,000) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Huh. Cory Sarcasm King. I feel like your parents missed an opportunity here.

29. smalony

Trader

ISO: C.S.K
    FT: Waxley and a small plus

Oh, and kidding aside, Ludwig is pretty fantastic.

30. not2quick

not2quick Meyvn (1,075) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Any Stagg or nilla left?

Thirst_trappist and OakvilleKGB like this.
  31. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

negative. i was probably 30th in line and vanilla was gone by the time i was up to order.

32. not2quick

not2quick Meyvn (1,075) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Sorry I couldn't make it up there in time. Golf went a little later than I expected.

33. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (937) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Only once a year or maybe every 2 will something like this affect me. Buuuut, as someone that years ago used to stand in line for all sorts of things (including consoles waaay back when), I'm always flat out irked when something is said to be available, but it is gone super quick (and quicker than expected). If you're going to have 15 available, I wish they'd just say that. It's not like they don't know - they do. I know why they don't - it draws people in. But it's incredibly frustrating. If I drove 2-5 hours, even if I wasn't far enough in line to get one, at least if I knew that when I arrived (instead of once I got inside), I wouldn't be so grumpy about it, because I knew all the details, and I chose to go even knowing that. At that point, the control is in my hands with full information. -And, I think if I remember correctly, people have talked about times where a bottle that was announced to be available - they only had like 3. :cold_sweat:

Maybe other beards with necks aren't as frustrated about this type of thing as I am. Just one of those simple things that I feel like would make a lot of people happy, and isn't likely to affect the bottom line much at all.

34. leroybrown10

Society Trader

I AM AS FURIOUS AS YOU ARE. HOW DARE THEY.

jk, please lose the entitlement

35. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

i hear thee but they ain’t gonna make it that easy for us lol. i was there at 1:45 and that’s only because i was ahead of schedule (thanks to the nice guy at TWCP-more on that later) but was originally planning on being there at 2:15, which i felt was well enough time given a Monday afternoon. oh well. did end up getting to the the vanilla DB thanks to a generous dude who was looking to try port.

36. smalony

Trader

37. CypressPaul1

CypressPaul1 Initiate (44) Nov 24, 2019 Georgia

I don’t plan on having to deal with this again (being in LC and just not nearly as excited about beer as I used to be), but I would cause a scene with no F’s given if I was getting cut. Like as soon as I see cutters I’m just walking up and cutting them even if I’m in the back of the line. It’s crazy to me that people just let this slide if there’s a chance you won’t get what you came for because of cutting.

#3638 CypressPaul1, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  38. Heisenbrew

Trader

Hey now.

It went from 5 posts a day about lactose beers making people shit themselves down to 5 a week.

39. Readmorevols

Readmorevols Initiate (70) Jun 5, 2016 Tennessee
    Trader

Shocking that you would bitch about something that you had nothing to do with. Again.

I know you either never or rarely come to SP, but if you did you would know it’s usually a case or so of bottles. Always is when it’s a previous release like this.

There were 4 previously released beers today. If you want your own bottle of each you need to be there early and have a few friends to each get one (it’s one bottle per).

We happily shared from the 3 bottles (Stagg, Vanilla, and RBBT) we had with people who missed.