Sierra Nevada 2020 Oktoberfest

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beeragent, Apr 21, 2020.

1. zid

zid Meyvn (1,234) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I think the entire orange thing started with me in this thread and I feel guilty that it snowballed to the extent that it did.

KentT, einhorn, meefmoff and 3 others like this.
  2. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,797) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

At least you proved to me that I wasn't *completely* crazy. :slight_smile:

KentT, zid and AlcahueteJ like this.
  3. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (457) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

So, I finally had 3 bottles of their Oktoberfest this weekend. The beginning has a strong resemblance of an Oktoberfest however the finishing character really reminds me of summerfest. It's great, clear, crisp and refreshing. Just a bit different than normal. Maybe more towards a festbier rather an Oktoberfest.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  4. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (259) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I have a hard time finding this orange flavor after all of this talk. I will keep trying though.

meefmoff and deanzaZZR like this.
  5. steveh

Society

It's not huge, just out of place.

6. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,582) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Eh I think you just hit on a perfect descriptor for one flavor that is present in this beer and is uncommon. It's not like the beer tastes like orange juice (probably would sell more if it did, might have make okto the hot style:rolling_eyes:). But, especially as it warms up, there's a flavor on the back end that definitely reminds me of marmalade

tolar111, zid, FBarber and 1 other person like this.
  7. steveh

Society

Don't forget, there's professional confirmation direct from the source:

8. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,630) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I had my third or fourth bottle last night and this was the first in which I was really trying to cue in on that orange flavor.

It was definitely noticeable, but I agree, if it hadn’t been mentioned I’m not sure I would have noticed it.

I started to think, “Hmm, I’m kind of getting a Summerfest type feel while I drink this. I wonder if I was looking for the Spalter Select in Summerfest if I’d pick up on it now”.

I’ve always found Summerfest to be a tad unique for a Pils. Definitely a Pilsner, but there’s a certain something about the character that just draws me in.

I’ve felt that way with their Oktoberfest this year. It doesn’t really fit neatly into a style, instead it’s just a damn good beer. Maybe the orange from the Spalter Select is something I really dig in a lager.

EmperorBatman, KentT, ecpho and 2 others like this.
  9. zid

zid Meyvn (1,234) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

OK. I just saw how many were fixating on this thing and looking for it... and I felt like it could be compromising their enjoyment or getting in the way of their own take.

Good luck with that. You did mention citrus a ways back, so hopefully I can shift the blame to you. Unfortunately that takes us back into the "what is citrus" minefield again. It's never easy on BA. :wink::grin::beers:

10. steveh

Society

We can pile it all on Mike Palmer. :slight_smile:

zid likes this.
  11. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,267) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Same.... enjoying it more and more

readyski likes this.
  12. Crusader

Crusader Disciple (333) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

Even Sierra Nevada seems to have been influenced by your post:

“There’s nuance to this beer–some floral and spice, as well as a unique orange zest flavor from the German hops that hits right in the middle of your palate,” said Sierra Nevada Lead Pilot Brewer Michael Palmer."

:stuck_out_tongue:

13. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Disciple (354) Nov 23, 2008 New York

Did they use Mandarina Bavaria in the hop bill? :wink:

14. steveh

Society

Well, I guess I can take this to mean that you have me on ignore -- I posted that quote in post #367, just above. :rolling_eyes:

But I think he was quoted long before our discussions.

#374 steveh, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    AlcahueteJ likes this.
  15. defunksta

defunksta Champion (892) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Trader

I tried this one again to reexamine another time. It is again very similar to the SN Pale Ale. The same marmalade orange and soapy pine flavors classic for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Freshness may be an issue. Still not getting much, if any, festbier flavors here.

16. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Initiate (197) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois

Finally had one of these last night. It wasn't bad, but I don't think I'll be getting any more. If I didn't know what it was, I would have guessed "hoppy lager" but don't know that I would ever have guessed "Oktoberfest." For me, the orange flavor was immediately obvious, but it wasn't like juice. "Orange hard candy" is how I described it but it also reminded me of orange liqueur. Definitely not something I perceive in most SN beers.

17. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (131) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Finally found and giving it a try.
    [​IMG]

To me it tastes like a charged-up Summerfest. Similar hop profile with some slightly toastier malt and a stronger booze backbone. Good lager, but not the traditional taste I normally seek this season.

18. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (361) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

Finished off the 12 pack I bought. After liking it initially, I slowed down on drinking it. Past versions of this beer were mostly drank quickly with more purchases immediately after running out. This year it took me a while to get through the 12 pack I bought. It's good enough for whatever it is. The more I drank though, the more it didn't satisfy my Oktoberfest craving. I don't see myself buying more this year.

19. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,396) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I bought a fresh 6pack, bottled September 4th and I was disappointed. I reckon that the previous years' collaborations fit my palate to a greater degree.

steveh likes this.
  20. steveh

Society

Surprising that they were still bottling that late.

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and Bitterbill like this.
  21. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (342) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I had a fresh bottle of this again recently, my second bottle of the season. Not sure if it was because I have been drinking regular Oktoberfest beers or what but the flavors really clashed on my palate and by the end of it I definitely did not want another. My take here is that they tried to make a hoppy almost Pale Ale-ish version of the style and I didn't care for it, probably one of my least favorites of theirs since they started doing an Oktoberfest beer.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  22. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,294) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

There are a lot of different viewpoints on this one. I happen to enjoy the unique flavor of this American Oktoberfest - I detect flavors of rye and pumpernickel that you don't often experience with others of the style.
    [​IMG]

23. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (259) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I bought a 2nd 12 pack and I can report that it's still a fine beer.

24. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Initiate (172) Jun 23, 2004 Oregon

I've enjoyed it. Perhaps it is not truly of the style but like a good Oktoberfest I have appreciated it more as we get better acquainted. I would get more but it is scarce on the shelves.

25. Bitterbill

Society Trader

[​IMG]

26. steveh

Society

Wasn't doubting you, just surprised.

WesMantooth and Bitterbill like this.
  27. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I might revisit a.bottle of this tonight, definitely get to the last two soon. But after dipping my toe into German Oktoberfest biers I have to say that I recognize this beer as more true to style than I thought at first, but also falling short in the same way that american oktos always have for me. It's just not dry enough. Too sweet.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  28. einhorn

einhorn Disciple (313) Nov 3, 2005 California

I had SN Oktoberfest on my radar anyway, this thread persuaded me to grab a 12pk. I'm glad it did, I'm a big SN fan and many of my beer dollars flow their way. Anyway, my $.02 on this Oktoberfest....

The orange thing: I can only concur. Tastes very much like a Belgian single with candied sugar. It finishes extremely dry and there is a slight tartness to it (acidic malt?) combined with a smidgen of caramalts which amplifies the orangy-ness. I do not get the impression it's coming from the Spalter hops, it seems to be more malt- and pH derived, but that's me.

All in all, through the higher IBUs and lesser body I get the more of a Vienna Lager than a Märzen, whatever it is there is no doubt that it is an excellent, well-brewed and easily-drinkable beer.

29. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (660) Mar 28, 2009 California

I was a bit disappointed with the version this year and I was guy who really wanted to love it. The first couple from the 12 pack were good. As someone said it above it was like an Oktoberfest for hop heads, which is me, but I also love Oktoberfests. It just became too fruity and floral for me, more fruity. I got tired of that profile and if you drank more than one the fruity profile just became more and more. Usually good Oktoberfests means more than a few.

did see they are bottling their celebration!!!! Also, their Dankful IPA is fantastic so I Forgive them.

30. defunksta

defunksta Champion (892) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Trader

The orange-ness is undeniable. It does have more breadiness and caramel/brown sugar spice than The Pale Ale. Overall, very similar. Not quite a festbier, but admittedly pretty tasty for an Sierra Nevada Beer.

31. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Im drinking my last bottle from a 6 pack bottled 8/13 and I think this one might benefit from some time in the bottle. I think I like this bottle most of all. Might grab another 6 pack if I see some old stock around:stuck_out_tongue:

32. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (342) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I could see that, probably mellows out some of the clashing flavors a bit.

33. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (503) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Damn, pretty close. Even lower than I thought. Sitting at a 3.69 currently.

34. AlcahueteJ

Society

Do it! Clean out the Oktoberfest to make room for Celebration.

defunksta, SILVER, jonphisher and 2 others like this.
  35. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I've come to the conclusion that it is an excellent Festbier.

36. SILVER

SILVER Initiate (176) Jan 3, 2007 Florida

I liked it also!

Bitterbill likes this.
  37. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,834) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

The first 6 pack was OK. Just bought a twelve pack as my homebred German beer ran out. I like this later purchase a lot. Might buy another as the price point is good.

38. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,336) Jun 4, 2012 Greenland

I still haven't seen a sixer of this.

Nary a small time store nor a supermarket. Very unusual when it comes to SN beers.

39. AlcahueteJ

Society

As an Oktoberfest or as a beer in general?

Bitterbill likes this.
  40. RutgersBeerGuy

RutgersBeerGuy Aspirant (268) Jan 16, 2007 New York
    Trader

Great beer, poor Oktoberfest. Happy I bought a sixer, all in all.