Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Sierra Nevada Adding Hazy Little Thing IPA & Southern Gothic Cans

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by oudebueuze, Aug 26, 2017.

1. oudebueuze

oudebueuze Initiate (174) Dec 12, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

2. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (520) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Bring it on!

SN does no wrong. And in my backyard!

These two a fall surfcasting combo--along with the Oktoberfest.

#2 surfcaster, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  3. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,009) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Awesome!!! Cans too!!!

4. jkrich

jkrich Champion (804) Nov 1, 2001 Florida

Sierra Nevada does a good job brewing lagers. I hope both are available in Florida.

slander420 and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  5. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (255) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I would have thought Sierra Nevada would have been above jumping on the NE IPA bandwagon. Apparently not.

6. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Initiate (197) May 14, 2015 Colorado

You don't stay in business for 30 years by not selling people what they don't want to buy.

swolepeer, pro100, Corrado42 and 19 others like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,016) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

I suspect that the Cloudy IPA will generate the most excitement with the beer geek crowd (e.g., BAs) but I am most excited to try the Keller Pils they will be making.

Cheers!

8. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,678) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Looking forward to both beers, hopefully they bottle them.

VABA and LuskusDelph like this.
  9. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (590) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I'm a self-professed SN fanboy, but they're really gonna have to bring it to the dance with that Keller pils. It'll be tough to make room in my rotation of Urban Chestnut's zwickel and pils.

10. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,077) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I'm equally excited for both. :wink:

tzieser, StoutElk_92, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  11. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (304) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yes, hopefully they can stay pure and only offer throwback OG beers like Sidecar and Tropical Torpedo going forward.

As with nearly all SN releases, I'm looking forward to these.

swolepeer, tzieser, Corrado42 and 5 others like this.
  12. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (179) Mar 28, 2011 New York

FFS - Sidecar apparently is being rebranded Sidecar IPA now! Maybe Stout IPA or Porter IPA will be next in line.

oldbean, swolepeer, MilkManX and 3 others like this.
  13. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (492) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Omg! Southern Gothic is amazing. Had so many pours of that bad boy at Mills River earlier this year. This makes me so happy!

14. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (501) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Apparently you did not notice the little detail that SN is the first one that will be doing them across a nationwide distribution footprint.
    For NEIPA's in my neck of the woods. Most of the breweries making them will only sell them at the taproom, and very select stores. The rest self distribute.
    In terms of shelf stability. If SN have figured something out that none of the others have. Which is likely. Because they have the means, and want to do the research.
    That's a gamechanger.
    Because what floats their boat. Raises ours.

15. Psilocybeer

Psilocybeer Initiate (160) Jul 11, 2017 California

Wow, stoked for that keller. Put it in pint cans, SN!

VABA, Corrado42, Robtobfest and 2 others like this.
  16. RKP1967

Yes, because everyone wants a three month old NE IPA they can purchase at their local chain supermarket.

tzieser and eldoctorador like this.
  17. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (762) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

It would be nice to have a NEIPA that you didn't have to drink asap.

18. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (3,575) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia

I did note the linked page says "appears to be in the NE-style IPA" - which to me indicates SN is not specifically claiming this substyle. Is there more info on this from SN itself?

Let's assume for now they are, then...
    I think the responses will be interesting. If what I've read in general on this site about other SN releases are an indication, there will be the camp that finds it to be a decent, tasty IPA and the camp that says it doesn't even come close to measuring up to what their local place is doing.

For me, if it is supposed to be a NE IPA, I'm not expecting Aslin (good, bad, or indifferent), but am hoping for a decent representation of the substyle. But we'll see, I am firmly in the camp with quite a few others already posting - looking forward to getting to try these two beers.

19. ecpho

How do we know this IPA is the low bitterness, soft, juice-like NEIPA - what if its just unfiltered but still tastes like an IPA?

20. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Is this for real or was it just a joke?

This is what I am thinking, will probably be something along the lines of 2XIPA Unfiltered or Sculpin Unfiltered.

21. ecpho

Don't think so - I found the SN Sidecar IPA label on the same site. Apparently anything IPA = sales

Leebo likes this.
  22. ecpho

I hope so - I love SN but hate NEIPAs. I don't think the general craft drinking public cares so much about them either - just those happy to spend their weekends waiting in line to buy the latest weekly iteration in 4 packs. I don't think a nationally distributed NE "style" IPA is going to convert those types.

Greenstone, ECdOc, ESHBG and 5 others like this.
  23. RKP1967

When did anybody ever say they were happy to stand in line? That seems more like a value judgment on your part.

24. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,466) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

One thing I never worry about with SN is the quality of the beer. Can't wait to try the Hazy, no doubt it will be a great beer at a good price. The one thing I don't like is the difference in pricing of Oktoberfest, it's not worth $2 more in the can vs the bottle.

LuskusDelph and Troutbeerbum like this.
  25. nc41

Beer Trader

They do this with Torpedo, that would be a great idea.

26. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,278) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Looks like a line-extension of the Sidecar Pale Ale rather than a re-branding - since the label says "6.8% ABV" and the SPA is 5.3%.

[​IMG]

#26 jesskidden, Aug 27, 2017
  27. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,943) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

I'll be all over that southern gothic. SN is rapidly taking over my fall beer budget between the Oktoberfest, these releases and the coming fresh hop canned pack.

28. ecpho

Wow - so they are going to have Sidecar PA and IPA at the same time? Surely then there's room in the portfolio for SN fan favorites like Kolsch, Vienna lager, Coffee Stout, Tumbler - unless they are going more of the Sam Adams direction (and I do like a lot of SA, except the gimmicky stuff)

29. ecpho

According to a lot of people here and Instagram apparently - the line waiting/sharing/public drinking aspect of the boutique brewery only releases is just as much of a draw as the beer itself. (I don't know - I've never done it and never would) That's not even including the reselling/mule aspect too. So I don't think a SN NEIPA style beer that you can get in a gas station or Walmart or the supermarket will do much for that type of consumer - unless they need to for a tick.

jbertsch, nc41 and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  30. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (151) Dec 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

I will say this every chance I get on a SN topic until someone notices. Pale Ale 30 packs please.

31. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (987) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

Looking forward to these @sierranevadabill, love that they are coming out in cans, cheers.

djtothemoney likes this.
  32. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (560) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Sad but true. When my local brewery Noble Ale Works switched their NEIPA can releases to online I heard so many people on IG complain how much fun they had waiting in line because they met so many cool people and shared beers with them. Waiting in line was being part of the exclusive beer community and felt special about it. Now anybody can just hop online and purchase a beer.

33. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,539) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

I actually want a NEIPA at my local supermarket because that means I can get it. First order of business is to get it, then we'll talk about it.

VABA, Corrado42, bret717 and 9 others like this.
  34. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (560) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I really like SN and they always brew quality beers and expect nothing less on the NE-style IPA. However, I can already see the complaints that's it's not hazy enough, juicy enough or creamy enough.

I wonder if they will be using a different yeast strain? SN seems to use their house strain for all their ipas which is a clean yeast. Just adding wheat and or oats and not filtering an IPA won't hit the mark.

I will differently be picking both beers up.

raynmoon and surfcaster like this.
  35. nc41

Beer Trader

True , commonality does seem to be a problem for those looking strictly at trade value.

36. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (288) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Call me a fresh beer snob, but all this doesnt really matter locally when SNs freshest beers are always 3-4 weeks old at time of release. Is that a distributor issue? I know some NE IPAs hold up longer, but so many lose their aromatic essence by that point in time. They need to work on a release like Born Yesterday where the entire nation got it within a 2 week time frame.

I got flack for saying the same sort of thing with their beer camp. Those IPAs were already 5 weeks old when we got them. I appreciate the variety but they've got the wrong idea if they think all they need to do is bring out a hazy IPA.. It's more about the time frame of it all IMHO

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (520) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Amazing to me how many folks have condemned SN to fail and it hasn't made it out yet.

A commonality on these boards.

Dissapointing.

38. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (501) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

How many producers of said style have the time and money invested in shelf stability that SN has, or have done bottle conditioning at their scale?

jmdrpi likes this.
  39. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (288) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

@surfcaster I did come off as a hater without any context. So Ill back track a touch.

I do love a huge lineup of their beers and found Hop Hunter quite stable at even 90 days old. And as someone mentioned, if anyone found a shelf stable way to do a hazy IPA, SN wouldnt surprise me if they were the first. So i'm not wishing any ill will towards them before it even releases.

BY was tasting great for a few months, so there's potential that this SN product could be great. But we have to set our standards higher. The little guys are winning out by canning and selling beer that same day. There's no reason to give other breweries a pass for 3-5 week old 'new' product. Call me slightly optimistic. A 4 week old IPA right off the bat has an uphill climb even without preconceived thoughts on who brewed it. That's just a reality.

I guess what I wanted to say was, they need to worry less about making new IPAs and more about getting it to us quicker (again maybe its a distributor issue, but it falls on them non the less).

#39 Oktoberfiesta, Aug 27, 2017
    AlcahueteJ and surfcaster like this.
  40. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (151) Dec 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

I understand not wanting to find months old dust collector at top price on the shelf,but it still amazes me that people continue to hammer on fresh IPAs, which were originally brewed to keep better for weeks on end with no refrigeration in the hold of a ship.

GetMeAnIPA and nc41 like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.