Sierra Nevada - Barrel-Aged Narwhal

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChairfaceChippendale

ChairfaceChippendale Initiate (0) May 29, 2014 New York

They're selling it at Beer Culture in midtown. Also tonight (Wed 12) they are doing a Narwhal event: flights of the Narwhal '13, '14, cask, and BA!

deford and SierraTerence like this.
  2. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona

Anyone else get to try it on tap goddamn amazing imho.

StoutChaser7D likes this.
  3. RJS83

RJS83 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2014 New York

My purchase was on Monday night at the Haight Street store.

4. trippnwo

trippnwo Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2014 Florida

Tampa here.....abc on dale Mabry had it today for 19.99 or 20.99. I forgot.

5. Futurepoop

Futurepoop Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2014 Pennsylvania

6. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 New York

Seen for $25.99 in NYC. =/ Not purchased.

A2HB likes this.
  7. elemenohpee1

elemenohpee1 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2014 California

I find myself going too often during lunch now adays

schris likes this.
  8. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland

Any chance of seeing this in the Baltimore, MD area??

9. amicuscervesa

amicuscervesa Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2014 Tennessee

My local shop said expect small amounts to begin appearing around 11-14-14

10. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (229) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

That's not exactly a fair assessment. We charge what we do for these bottles because they are extremely expensive to produce and as these bottles sell, we can afford to make more large-scale barrel-aged releases in the future. Over the recent years, we've invested hundreds of thousands of dollars into our barrel-aged program and somehow need to find a way to financially make it work. As we improve our processes and get more beer through the systems we'll adjust pricing as necessary. We're pretty famous for offering an extremely well made product at a fair price across the board. We've never been one to push the high-end of the price spectrum and I assure you, we're setting the scale for these beers at a level for us to re-invest back into the Barrel program.

-Bill

11. BillManley

Bottles release in the Baltimore area and greater Maryland next week.

12. readyski

readyski Aspirant (267) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

That's great news Bill. I believe I speak for the majority of BA's when I say that I look forward to more barrel-aged beers from Sierra. Tasty brews at a great price point = :slight_smile:

deford and mrhartounian like this.
  13. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

SN usually has very decent prices in the Boston MA, area. How much KBS did you buy, oh not available? @ $10.00 for a 12 oz? Ever try the single hop series or the most excellent estate stuff? $5-8.00 for the 24 ozers. The BA bigfoot was around the same price. Ever price out used bourbon barrels? Prices have sky rocketed in the past 3-5 years. Factor in angels share, leakage, floor space etc.

14. dbrelsfo

dbrelsfo Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2013 Georgia

Got it for $20 at beverage mart in acworth, ga. probably is still some left.

15. krazyboy13

krazyboy13 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2014 New York

Found it at total wine in cherry hill nj for $16 a bottle! No limit as far as I can tell. I bought 2 and was the 1st to buy as I asked about it and the guy pulled a case out of the back and started putting it on the shelves.

16. mrhartounian

mrhartounian Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2009 Massachusetts

Just goes to show that you can't please everyone. Not kissing up, but if anyone out there doesn't think SN is the best, or one of the best, bang for your buck breweries then you are not paying attention. Some people pay $20 for a mediocre wine but then think it's crazy to spend the same on a world class beer. Jeesh!

fehrminator likes this.
  17. AdamfromMilwaukee

AdamfromMilwaukee Initiate (0) May 13, 2014 Wisconsin

Any idea if/when it's hitting Milwaukee/WI?

18. gcamparone

gcamparone Poo-Bah (1,724) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island

in RI for 19.99. Couldn't justify buying one with BCBS 4 packs at the same price just around the corner.

19. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,266) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Thanks for the response. That makes sense, with such a large-scale operation. Does the fact that it's the first year it's been bottled also factor into the pricing? That was a theory I had too lol

20. swolepeer

swolepeer Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 California

Had this on tap at Toronado last night and my goodness it was delicious.

21. Donco

Donco Devotee (455) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Wegmans Cherry Hill (yesterday)

kerry4porters likes this.
  22. Johntomk

Johntomk Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2014 Tennessee

Is this coming to Tennessee at all? Nashville area or East Tennessee? Thanks!

23. BillManley

The first year aspect isn't much of an issue. The scale however, is. We made just over 500 Barrels of BA Narwhal, which is far bigger than any barrel-aged release we've ever done. Last year's BA Bigfoot was just about 300 barrels. Normally the larger the release, the lower the overall cost would be (economies of scale, and all) but with barrel beers, these have to be processed, essentially, by hand. We have a small-scale filler but the barrels themselves have to be handled one at a time for moving/filling/emptying/ general handling. That is a lot of freaking moving about that can't really be automated.
    The barrel-aged Bigfoot that will be released in a few months is an even larger release (over 600-barrels) we're targeting the same price point at the BA Narwhal to again, make up for all of the handling.

-Bill

24. BYBP

BYBP Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2013 Nebraska

I am crossing my fingers to get my hands on a bottle of this

25. TurkeyFeathers

TurkeyFeathers Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York
    Deactivated

$20 in Buffalo, NY Bought a bottle to cellar. It better be good. Could have bought a 750 ml of Allagash Curieux for $18

26. Fox82791

Fox82791 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2014 New York

If anyone wants to trade for some let me know, lots available right now in WNY

27. thebashbro

thebashbro Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2014 Arkansas

Is this coming to Arkansas or Missouri?

28. craftbeerdesign

craftbeerdesign Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2009 Colorado

Saw some at Wilbur's yesterday in Ft. Collins.

29. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,266) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Not sure about anyone else here, but I love having this kind of insight into the business of beer as well as the brewing itself. Thanks again for the info!

kerry4porters, apendecto and Donco like this.
  30. Jobin_24

Jobin_24 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Florida

Just bought 4 bottles of the BA =]

31. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Zealot (583) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

What's that?
    BA Bigfoot #2?

Nice!!!

apendecto likes this.
  32. jkrug5

jkrug5 Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2012 Maryland

Hitting Bmore today, got one at wine source.

33. TR0219

TR0219 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2013 Florida

I can snag a bottle to send if you have some Huna or BCBS :wink:

34. BKnarr

BKnarr Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Florida
    Deactivated

You're in FL. We have great access to Huna and BCBS. Get some of that Ohio Jackie O's goodness!

35. TR0219

TR0219 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2013 Florida

I'll be living in Ohio as of January, ha! I've never had either, so I'm huntin'.

36. Bonis

Bonis Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

Haha, you're joking right??? We don't get Cigar City and BCBS is illegal to sell here (same reason I made the comment that you quoted about not being able to get barrel aged Narwhal... the ABV cap in Ohio is 12%... so retarded, I know). I just wish the stupid laws here would change. I can go buy Bacardi 151 (which I would never do because that is a terrible idea), but it's illegal to buy BCBS or any beer over 12%... fuckin moronic lawmakers.

I'm not really into trading, but I do have a couple special Jackie O's beers... It would take more than a BA Narwhal to get them, but I'd consider an offer. PM me if you want.

#556 Bonis, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    JohnnyMc likes this.
  37. Bonis

Bonis Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

Damn.. I thoroughly enjoy Jackie O's beers, but I don't get why people are dying to get their stuff (what makes me most upset is their more limited releases are minimum $12 for a 375ml bottle... ouch:slight_frown:). I think we are best known for our IPAs in Ohio, and Jackie O's hasn't released an IPA I'm crazy about. Their stouts and barrel aged offerings are on point... heard the sours are good, but I only got to try one when I was first getting into sours (Brown Recluse) and it was memorable, but not necessarily in the right ways (overbearing vinegar... something went wrong). That doesn't mean their sours aren't great now.. I just never get the chance to try them because of the demand. I'll settle for an Ojos Negros, which I love.

#557 Bonis, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  38. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Just cracked one of two bottles I picked up and I am not in anyway disappointed. Very tasty, I have to go back and pick up a few more bottles if they are not all gone.

39. Young_John

Young_John Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2014 New York

Picked up one on Long Island for $23.99 today (over $26 with tax). Considerably more than prices I've read here, (and almost half what I paid for a whole case of regular Narwhal) but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

40. GeorgiaBeerGuy

GeorgiaBeerGuy Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 Georgia

I have one in possession. Looking to accumulate more for the "long winter ahead..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.