Release Sierra Nevada - Barrel-Aged Narwhal

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,083) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

After seeing all these prices I'm starting to think I should've bought more than two up in Portland seeing as how they were under $13. Meanwhile, I haven't even seen any near me.

2. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (582) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

You did remember to put the Bigfoot in the barrels that previously contained the Narwhal, correct?

3. steebo777

steebo777 Zealot (510) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I'll be honest, I liked this but didn't love it. Definitely not worth the $25 I paid for it but glad I tried it.

SteveD082791 likes this.
  4. tfs8271

tfs8271 Initiate (41) Mar 14, 2007 California

Great idea... But with the Narwhal just getting bottled and the Bigfoot due to come out in early 2015, that isn't nearly enough contact time. Instead - Hopefully, they put some SNBCo Porter with vanilla beans and cocoa nibs in those empty Narwhal barrels for a limited release at their gift shops in late 2015.

kerry4porters and RDMII like this.
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (4,932) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I picked up a bottle today at Liquor Shed. Just under $20. I'll check it out tomorrow for NBS :stuck_out_tongue:

6. Rothobinide

Rothobinide Devotee (401) Jun 28, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

26 bucks at Texas Wine & Spirits in Carlsbad

7. SteveB24

SteveB24 Champion (883) Aug 29, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

i was pretty unimpressed with this, i thought the alcohol taste took more then it added from the original narwhal, which i think is much better, not saying its bad but for the price i paid i was pretty disappointed.

SteveD082791 likes this.
  8. ThomasMetal75

ThomasMetal75 Devotee (425) Jun 15, 2009 Massachusetts

I cannot find this yet in the Southeast Massachusetts area. Anyone else have luck where I am?!?

9. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Champion (830) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

I'm really surprised at the variance in price...I'm seeing reports of $13 all the way to $25 for a bottle. I imagine this is all distributor mark up as well as retail mark up, but knowing how the Alchemist likes to be sure that authorized retailers sell Heady at the same low price, I wonder what Sierra Nevada thinks of their customers paying widely different prices only based on where they live.

10. SteelersX

SteelersX Disciple (370) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Not very good

11. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Devotee (436) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I just paid 24.99 for a bottle here in TX at a smaller retailer just to say I've tried. No matter how good it is, I can't justify buying more - but willing to this 1x. I would hope/expect that the big box retailers sell for $18-$20.

Of course, I say this and paid up, but there won't be future purchases. What's crazy is the rest of the SN stuff is all extremely well priced. Ehhh, whatever...

12. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,114) Mar 18, 2010 California

Wow, that's steep for SoCal.

13. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (438) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

This release came and went in a flash a few weeks ago in NC (Durham area). EVERY place near me that got some sold out within a day and I had no chance, so I had totally missed out. Then, last night, I was at Total Wine, and there on the shelf, was a single bottle. It was so beautiful, it seemed to have a heavenly glow. I grabbed that miracle and it now has a home in my cabinet.

14. mingo

mingo Initiate (191) Mar 24, 2013 Arizona
    Beer Trader

assuming their online inventory is correct, they have more. :wink:

15. newbrewer_zb

newbrewer_zb Aspirant (219) Sep 3, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

How is this BA holding up against BCBS and KBS?

16. mig100

mig100 Crusader (754) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

@sierranevadabill I picked up 2 and opened one last night and... wow... I'm very impressed! It was exceptional. I rated it at 4.75/5 and I can only see it getting better with some age. Just curious, what brand of bourbon were the barrels?

17. mingo

mingo Initiate (191) Mar 24, 2013 Arizona
    Beer Trader

"Aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels."

18. osant37

osant37 Disciple (324) Jan 4, 2014 New York

I Finally got 2 bottles last night at a Brooklyn bar/bottle shop cost me $25 a bottle + tax.

19. mig100

Beer Trader

@mingo Right, but I'm asking which brand.

20. a74gent

a74gent Aspirant (284) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Decent by MA standards. All you have to do is spend a few minutes in these forums to see how badly we are getting F'd. Don't blame SN for a $20 price...blame the nanny state government.

21. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (438) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I just looked. Interesting. I wonder if they made a mistake though, because they show the regular Narwhal as limited, but they had a shit ton of that.

22. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (342) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

I ordered a case in Thursday and still have a few bottles on shelf. Pretty shocked it hasn't sold out so I may buy them myself. I'll get to try it tonight with a tasting group and expect big things, any BA beer that gains 2.4% ABV from the barrel has to be tasty.

23. aderousseau

aderousseau Initiate (78) Jun 22, 2008 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Does this beer really even exist?

24. Todd

Todd Founder (5,427) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

Yes. Had it on tap at Falling Rock last night. Delicious.

Bitterbill and mig100 like this.
  25. mig100

Beer Trader

I hate to quote my own post but I just realized you already answered this question earlier on in the thread. One more question @sierranevadabill

How long did this spend in barrels? Last question, I swear lol

26. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (1,913) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Yes, I saw bottles at Riverside Liquors on Rt. 26 just outside Frederick. $16.99 I believe was the listing price on the shelf. They had at least 3-4 bottles on shelf plus a case unopened. Cost you about $18-$19 after MD sin taxes.

27. trovatoam

trovatoam Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Total Wine in Durham and Raleigh had the BA Narwhal for ~$20 a bottle... I only got 1.. But they seemed to have plenty of it.

28. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Defender (620) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Probably a number of different barrels, or if it's all the same barrel, the bourbon is not going to be top shelf. In both cases, that's why breweries tend to not advertise, unless it's a really small batch made in the very few top shelf barrels someone could obtain.

29. Chitex78

Chitex78 Initiate (72) Dec 4, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I picked up 3 of these a few days ago at $20. It is an awesome beer that takes Narwhal to the next level with subtle hints of bourbon and a nice dark chocolate flavor

kerry4porters and KendallKid like this.
  30. mig100

Beer Trader

Most of it seems worthy of mentioning in my opinion. Plenty of other breweries (Firestone Walker, Ballast Point, etc...) list the brand of barrel and in some cases the bourbon brand is much cheaper than what was used for the BA Narwhal.

From @sierranevadabill earlier in the thread: "In this case, Narwhal was aged in fresh bourbon barrels (a combination of Willett single barrel, Heaven Hill and various Beam brands)"

31. sierranevadabill

sierranevadabill Aspirant (238) Jul 2, 2008 California

Unless it is a single brand, and unless we have an agreement with the distiller, we tend not to advertise (or list on packaging) what brands are used for our barrel aging. In most cases, we don't have licensing agreements with the distilleries, so we feel funny about using their brands to advertise our products.

This hasn't actually been publicized much, but I expect there to be some trademark disputes in the near future with breweries doing exactly this. Over he years, I've had the opportunity to get to know distillers from all over Kentucky and the larger U.S. and a bunch of them are unhappy about the number of breweries listing their brands on the package. Specifically the very high-end makers. Out of respect for that, we don't do it. Again, unless we have an agreement.

-Bill

32. sierranevadabill

This batch of Narwhal went into barrels January 23rd, 2014 so it spent just over 8 months aging time prior to bottling.

33. SteveD082791

SteveD082791 Disciple (394) Jun 20, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

I'd put it on par with KBS, maybe slightly under. Doesn't come close to bourbon county. It wasn't bad but not worth the price.

newbrewer_zb likes this.
  34. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Crusader (714) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Just gotta know where to look. I bought my 2 for $20.99 each.

35. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia
    Beer Trader

That is kind of shocking. I would have expected most ATL bottle shops to sell right out. At any rate, I enjoyed this one quite a bit. The barrel treatment was kind of subtle, and the beer still led with immense maltiness. In other words, I smelled the bourbon more than I tasted it, which I actually appreciated. The ABV was anything but subtle, however. Powerful beer.

36. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Which is probably smart on Sierra Nevada's part, which doesn't surprise me at all.

Which was just right, IMHO. Outstanding result.

37. Bladezone

Bladezone Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2006 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Picked up some at the place in Frederick that the other guy mentioned. Plenty left on shelves for $15.99 pre tax. Looking forward to trying it!

38. Bladezone

Bladezone Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2006 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

And not to hijack this thread but I saw someone mentioning the BA Bigfoot ll be released soon. Any idea when we ll see it on shelves? @sierrnevadabill

39. mig100

Beer Trader

Thanks! Thanks also for your response about the barrel brands. That makes sense and I guess certain breweries that advertise may have deals with the distillers, or are small enough to where the distillers/brands might not care.

40. sierranevadabill

The release is scheduled for Late January / Early February 2015.

steebo777 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.