Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Sierra Nevada Beer Camp 2013 variety pack

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Jun 26, 2013.

1. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Chico, CA—July 18, 2013—Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is highlighting the best of its 2012 Beer Camp sessions with a new variety 12-pack featuring three hop-forward brews. Beer Camp is two days of hands-on beer education, recipe formulation and brewing in Sierra Nevada’s 10-barrel pilot brewery at its Chico, Calif., location. From skilled homebrewers to everyday fans, the campers work in conjunction with Sierra Nevada brew masters to create top-notch beers that are hits in the Sierra Nevada taproom but rarely travel elsewhere. The Beer Camp variety pack is a tasty snapshot of the spirited fermentation powwows.

“Beer Campers bring a lot of enthusiasm and ambition to the brewery, and we love sharing some of the great beers beyond our pub,” said Ken Grossman, Sierra Nevada’s founder. “As a brewery, we like to draw big character from whole-cone hops, and the three Beer Camp beers this year made impressive use of arguably our favorite ingredient.”

The Beer Camp variety pack lands on shelves beginning in August 2013:

#93 IPA—This IPA sacrifices nothing for its drinkability, flexing big time flavor and complexity. The light color disguises the depth of the malt backbone, a pillar that balances the potent whole-cones of the piney-citrus Cascade and tropical fruit-like Citra hops.
    #94 Belgian-style Black IPA—This beguiling black IPA takes a tropical detour with a dose of new world hops, featuring lemony Sorachi Ace and fruity Nelson Sauvin varieties. A Belgian yeast works with the exotic hop profile, emphasizing its complex and fruity flavors.
    #95 Imperial Red Ale—Our aggressive Imperial Red Ale is a massive mix of smooth malts and West Coast hops that have no patience for the lupulin leery. This crimson beer starts with caramel-like malt flavor that can’t suppress the assertive, citrusy hop finale.

Each year Sierra Nevada invites fans to submit videos for a chance to come to Beer Camp. The contest begins August 1 and runs through Labor Day, and the brewery encourages folks to bookmark www.sierrabeercamp.com and keep an eye on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for Beer Camp news.

About Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
    Founded in 1980, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is one of America’s premier craft breweries, highly regarded for using only whole-cone hops and the finest quality ingredients. The pioneering spirit that launched Sierra Nevada spans more than three decades, with innovation emerging from both the brewhouse and sustainability initiatives. Sierra Nevada has set the standard for artisan brewers worldwide as a winner of numerous awards for its extensive line of beers including Pale Ale, Torpedo®, Porter, Stout, Kellerweis® and a host of seasonal, specialty and limited release beers. Learn more at www.sierranevada.com.

# # #

Chrixsus, azorie, KS1297 and 19 others like this.
  2. abecall98

Beer Trader

3. RobertColianni

I've really enjoyed this series over the past two years. Many of the beers are just modest, but there's a good find in each pack. This red sounds like Deschutes Red Chair, however. The other two sound intriguing.

Geuzedad likes this.
  4. rather

sweet can't wait

5. sefus12

Can't wait for this. I love Sierra Nevada.

6. onefalsemove711

Ah, Palate Crusher Camp... Yes, I will give it a go! The oatmeal stout was the standout for me in last years release.

7. stella77artois

Looking forward to this.

8. PlayaPlaya

When is this released ?

9. Danny1217

Beer Trader

I hope there's something different as the fourth beer. I mean, am I the only one who sometimes wants something that's not an IPA?

10. keithmurray

Yay!!!!! Even more IPA's added to an already overcrowded bunch!

11. phooky

The Imperial Red was awesome in last year's beer camp, looking forward to see how they improved on it.

Crymopipe494 and ImChrisBrown like this.
  12. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

I don't think this is coming out until late July.

13. ImChrisBrown

Agreed. Last year's red was awesome.
    Still pissed lagunitas imperial red isnt being brewed this year.

Geuzedad, WhatdaHec and GeddyLeeRocks like this.
  14. bulldogbrewhaus

Last years was really good. Will buy this when I see it. I liked both the imperial red and the imperial pils.

15. Stugotzo

So, TW will have it here in Florida around mid-September if their Hoptimum dates (bottled 3/26/13, available 5/8/13.... and still on pallets here) are any indication. :mad:

DanIPA and Geuzedad like this.
  16. PlayaPlaya

Sierra Nevada is known for having IPA's that keep their flavor for a long while after bottling...

~45 days after bottling, especially for a hop bomb like Hoptimum, is still very fresh for ANY IPA.

90 days is the very least amount of time before an IPA might experience loss of flavor/aroma.

We have Wookey Jack that is nearly a year old still on the shelves of multiple shops around here; that would be more appropriate to complain about.

skinsfan and Dools9 like this.
  17. Ericness

Imperial Red? Yes please!

18. ShemRahBoo

Beer Trader

I dont understand this about the Wookey. I was told by a store that they received new Wookie. I was excited and then check it....sweet the year old Wookey was replaced by 4 month old wookie.

19. flexabull

Beer Trader

Fingers are crossed that the 4th beer is Simmer Down Brown. (it's a hoppy brown, so it fits the theme)

20. Providence

Bummer. I love all things Sierra Nevada, but even more IPA's on the shelf is a bit of a let down. I know I am in the minority on that (obviously, or else SN wouldn't be doing it). But I can't be mad at SN, I love them too much. Plus if I had my way and did the beer camp series they wouldn't sell shit. In it there'd be a Czech Pils (not an imprial one), an ESB, a Kolsch and an Altbier, ha ha ha.

21. BlueRogue

I'll get it because it's SN and it will be good, but I'm not too excited about the choices. I would've liked to see something different like a coffee IPA or something.

Geuzedad, ZacJay and tviz33 like this.
  22. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

There will be no 4th beer in these variety packs this year. Just the 3 mentioned in the original post. 4 of each kind.

Geuzedad likes this.
  23. JEdmund

Bummer to hear they're only doing three beers in the pack! I'm sure they'll be tasty though.

RyanLigeia likes this.
  24. flexabull

Beer Trader

Oh well, thanks for the info. I'm still looking forward to this years pack even though I wish there was a better mix of styles.

JohnnyMc and RyanLigeia like this.
  25. Jules11788

That oatmeal stout should be turned into a year-round brew

26. HeyJim

I was heartbroken by the Imperial Red last year, because I loved it so much and knew it would be going away. Hoping that this next one is the just as good.

Although they will likely be wonderful Belgian Style Black IPA kind of sounds like a contrived mess, while a plain IPA is about as uncreative as you could get.

27. Hobby

How much does a case of the Beer Camp typically run? Anyone...Anyone...Bueller...

28. Blueribbon666

This will be missed...
    [​IMG]
    Only mildly interested in the Black IPA & the Imp. Red...

dawg1969 likes this.
  29. SawDog505

Beer Trader

Probably my favorite 12 pack each of the last 2 years.

premierpro likes this.
  30. SanFranJake

Beer Trader

$17-20 a twelver if I remember correctly. At least here in the Bay Area.

Hobby likes this.
  31. Ri0

Ri0
    Beer Trader

Will this be distributed to the normal SN states? I'm such a sucker for Imperial Reds.
    Reading all the descriptions makes my mouth water.

32. BlowstotheBody

I'll buy it and probably enjoy, but it's disheartening to see variety leaving variety packs. Craft drinkers don't seem to enjoy anything that isn't extreme, either abv or hops.

litheum94 and RyanLigeia like this.
  33. BB1313

I didn't like the Imperial Red in last year's Beer Camp.. I thought it was malt heavy and low on the hops, which is fine, but it wasn't my cup of tea.. I hope this year's focuses on the hops..

34. Ri0

Ri0
    Beer Trader

I agree. The description sure makes it sound like it will be on the hoppy side.

king75 likes this.
  35. RyanLigeia

I know its already been said a few times but I too enjoyed the oatmeal stout the most out of last years lineup. It was also just nice to have something in there to really mix it up. I'm sure all 3 will be delicious (SN obviously knows a thing or 2 about brewing hoppy beers) but I was hoping for a little more variety. They just already have so many hoppy options on the shelves...thats why I get pumped when things like Tumbler, Narwhal and the Beercamp 12 pack come out. With that being said, I know the main purpose of this 12pack ISN'T to be a variety pack. It IS, however, a perfect opportunity to have blessed us with some other, more... "differen't" cool shit though.

BlowstotheBody likes this.
  36. Genuine

I'm really excited for this. I've always looked forward to their yearly release of beer camp and this one looks to be pretty good. I really like the idea of new and refreshing 12 packs from Sierra Nevada

37. BlowstotheBody

38 Counts of Battery!

Yeah, the oatmeal stout last year was very solid. I get that they'll probably sell more going the hoppy route, and I don't blame them for doing it. I just get more excited when a brewery showcases all that they can do, especially with a brewery like SN because they're good at everything.

RyanLigeia likes this.
  38. RyanLigeia

EXACTLY, they do everything well so it woulda been awesome to get their take on a belgian style quad or dubbel (even a tripel or saison if they're trying to stay on the "lighter" side for summer), a mai/doppel/or straight up bock, an old ale, a ...somethin different. I mean one is just "IPA"? Cmon son. Its also sad (but ignorant not to) think that predicted sales have anything to do with the lineup. Especially with a company like SN who is already HUUUUUUUUGE but started with all these great values and all that good sappy stuff.
    I know it sounds like I'm bashing it a whole bunch, I'm really just giving my opinion though. Either way, like blowstothebody said, I too will still be picking this up and probably enjoying each of them.

And hell yes, 38 counts of battery. Good eye! \m/

39. tfs8271

This is Beer Camp... They are all beers that are taken/made with participating beer campers over the year. This would be the best of 2012. I believe the Belgian black and Imperial Red were brewed and developed with the consumer winners from last year's contest. Just think you could win a chance to brew this year... I bet you would be stoked if it was your beer. :)
    http://www.sierrabeercamp.com/#/home/

BrettHead likes this.
  40. Seanvino

As far as the Belgian end of the spectrum are the Ovila line of brews distributed in NC? Or are you asking that SN include these in the Beer Camp pack? See http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/specialty/ovila for their line of Belgian brews.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe