Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Across America

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by jkn09, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkn09

jkn09 Aspirant (275) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

Any sightings of this in Texas yet? I haven't seen it in my neck of the woods yet (Rockwall area). I think labels have been approved, so it should be on shelves soon.

JJFoodie likes this.
  2. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Initiate (148) May 11, 2009 Texas
    Trader

Ah! A fellow Rockwallian! I was actually talking about this with Harry from AB Beer & Wine today...he was saying he's heard it's going to be highly limited, and more than likely at specialty stores (like his) only. It's also going to be a bit more expensive than recent SN 12-packs (like the recent 4-Way IPA box), due to the hassle of twelve separate beers and hand packaging. I'm betting he'll have it for $20-plus, not that it won't be worth it...

jkn09 likes this.
  3. imamutant

imamutant Initiate (52) Apr 6, 2014 Texas

It's around 24-28+ in California.

4. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (283) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

It's barely worth it.. Be cautioned of hype level 12

5. jkn09

I've heard others say this, but it really doesn't bother me much. I'm a huge fan of Sierra Nevada, so I'm buying it regardless. And who knows...everybody's palate is different. Maybe I'll think they're great.

6. wtkphoto

wtkphoto Devotee (468) Apr 3, 2009 Michigan

Friend of mine that works for a distributor said Dallas only got 40 cases.

7. wtkphoto

Ok, big correction, he confirmed it's 800 cases of the 12 pack 12 ounces and about 50 cases of the 12 pack bombers. Haven't heard of the bomber packs, they're called West Coast Beer Camp.

8. gfg0020

gfg0020 Disciple (305) Jan 9, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I think the bombers might be the "Beer Camp Across America West Coast IPA".
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/124318/
    Not sure if there are others that will be in bombers too.

Geuzedad likes this.
  9. wtkphoto

Makes sense. 12 pack of bombers would probably be $50-60.

10. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (132) Oct 15, 2006 Arkansas

I would love to see this down here. Not holding my breath, because I don't want to pass out.

kmello69 likes this.
  11. frogfan

frogfan Aspirant (245) Sep 4, 2009 Texas
    Trader

This just hit Halls today at just over $24 - for you DFW folks...

buzzed and ATA1K like this.
  12. Ford

Ford Champion (818) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

Hopefully Houston today or tomorrow.

13. EA728

EA728 Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2010 Texas

Specs Smith tweeted they had it earlier today.

14. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Aspirant (219) Jan 10, 2013 Texas
    Trader

15. Beernerds

Beernerds Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 Texas

As have D&Q & Growlers.

16. kmello69

kmello69 Zealot (529) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

No one else "liked" this!? Your work is going unappreciated

17. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (132) Oct 15, 2006 Arkansas

I'm counting on being a huge hit posthumously.

darthvohn likes this.
  18. petrolhead

petrolhead Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2010 Texas

Any word on if this will make it to San Antonio?

19. Ford

Ford Champion (818) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

Thanks for the info... Friendswood Shell station said they got some today also....

20. kmello69

kmello69 Zealot (529) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

This will purportedly be showing up in Austin tomorrow

21. TexasBeerGuy

TexasBeerGuy Initiate (100) Apr 30, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Wow, first time something not from Houston hit Houston before Austin or DFW. What's wrong?

22. Techichi

Techichi Zealot (507) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

It actually hit DFW yesterday. It was close though! lol

23. GregSVT

GregSVT Champion (896) Jul 1, 2009 Texas
    Trader

So I take it people are clamoring for this because it has breweries that aren't distro'd to TX? Looks like a bunch of normal beers. I'd rather try them on draft than buy a $25 12 pack that may only have 2 or 3 good beers.

24. TexasBeerGuy

TexasBeerGuy Initiate (100) Apr 30, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I understand that thinking, but I like Sierra Nevada and felt like it was worth $25 for 12 different beers. At $2 each I think that's a good deal even if most of them aren't Earth shattering. I think it will be fun going through them and that was worth something to me.

BeerSocrates12, air, Krumb and 3 others like this.
  25. wtkphoto

I'm really interested in it as I rarely buy six packs, I just get tired of the beers after 3-4. I'll buy singles from my local bottle shop that I don't expect to be awesome or even really good, I just like to try as many beers as possible. If I don't like some of them, oh well.

If you're arguing about price, wouldn't 5 draft pours already be as much as the entire box?

jkn09 and Beernerds like this.
  26. GregSVT

GregSVT Champion (896) Jul 1, 2009 Texas
    Trader

Yeah but I would get to try the ones I am interested in and really there are 2...maybe 3. Honestly I could care less just thought it was funny seeing a bunch of noobs in a beer group posting these like they're gold.

27. jkn09

I wouldn't say anybody who's commented here would be considered a noob, but whatever. As I said earlier, I love Sierra Nevada and just about everything they put out. I typically buy mixed 6 packs anyway, and they usually run $10-12 on the low end. So $25 for 12 unique once in a lifetime beers from a favorite brewery? I'm in.

28. jkn09

FYI, Spec's and TW off 75 had these in large supply today. $22.99 at Total Wine.

29. Texsuds

Texsuds Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2013 Texas

$19 at HEB in Ausitn (Far West)

30. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (100) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

I bought one. Having the 3 Floyd's one now. It's the oldest in the pack and doesn't have that initial citrus punch you get 2-3 weeks out but it has an awesome malt base. Hope the others are as good. Hell of a line up.

31. JCDenver

JCDenver Initiate (153) Feb 8, 2010 Texas
    Trader

After two of the hoppier ones, I am disappointed. It is clear that these would have been so much better fresh, which is a real shame. Something at TABC needs to change, and something at the distributor level (universally) needs to change. Their ineptitude and inability to move at speed that could remotely be considered reasonable is shocking. Texas is not a BMC wasteland anymore, and they are the absolute last people to realize and accept that. Legislatively, something needs to be done about TABC, and if a distributor that was not totally half-assed set up shop here, I would buy everything they had, just on principle.

Oktoberfiesta and Techichi like this.
  32. aschwab

aschwab Zealot (501) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

Do you really think SN did not know what these labels would look like months out? Send them in when you know it takes a while. Sure, TABC sucks and all, but SN can easily get the through in time as well.

Along with what lutter said.

33. JCDenver

Trader

The point is that no other state has such a ridiculously tedious label approval requirement. The process is patently ridiculous. It's a bit much to ask, imo, to ask SN to cater to something so illogical for just our state.

34. imamutant

imamutant Initiate (52) Apr 6, 2014 Texas

They're right. This showed up in Texas relatively fast. It was just released in CA last week and is already out down there. I used to work for BEK in Austin and was used to seeing limited and one-off beers much later than when I'd initially heard they'd be out.

air likes this.
  35. JCDenver

Trader

Fair enough then! Retracted.

36. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (100) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

The logistics surrounding getting a dozen of the top brewers all at their facilities to brew big batches in a 3 week span is pretty awesome. Not to mention all the test batches that went into this. I love getting everything bottled last week as much as the next guy but that shouldn't be an expectation for a national release. Just cracked the IPL...I've 2 for 2 with good beers so far. At this point, I love trying unique and one off stuff.

jkn09 likes this.
  37. cfrobrew

cfrobrew Disciple (385) Oct 9, 2012 Texas

Ford likes this.
  38. JDV

JDV Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2007 Texas

Fuck...I paid $26

39. JDV

JDV Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2007 Texas

I thought the Firestone hoppy pils tasted almost just like Pivo Pils. The FFF beer was more like a hopped up ESB than a pale. IPL was like Fathom but overly boozy. Didn't care for the Russian River one, but I don't like the style. Kind of hit and miss for me so far.

40. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2012 Texas

Cost is about just under $19. Per 12pk..FYI.

East1stgrocery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.