Release Sierra Nevada - Beer Camp Across The World 12-pack

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by zid, Jan 29, 2017.

1. zid

zid Champion (818) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I noticed "Beer Camp Across The World" on Sierra Nevada's release calendar for a summer release.

http://www.sierranevada.com/release-dates

It's a "12-beer collaboration 12-pack."

I'm speculating the obvious - that it's a spin on Beer Camp Across America with Sierra Nevada collaborating with brewers from outside the US.

@sierranevadabill recently made this comment in @TongoRad 's Hefe thread. Could this be part of the 12-pack?

With the success of Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest collaborations, this approach has a lot of potential. Based on previous discussions, I get the sense that Riegele was "VERY specific" too. I like that approach... I passed on last year's team-approach 12-pack. Looking forward to this one for sure.

#1 zid, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    drtth, cjgiant, surfcaster and 12 others like this.
  2. bkov33

bkov33 Initiate (176) Dec 5, 2007 New Jersey

beer camp from last year is stll sitting on shelves in some jersey stores

3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,897) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I will be all over this one. And yes, I hope that wheat beer is in there - that will be awesome!

4. shnsajax

shnsajax Disciple (360) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho
    Beer Trader

unfiltered with or without broken glass :wink:?

Honestly I wish this were in a 6 pack as I just don't care for 12 pack collaborations like this as usually half of them I don't have much interest in.

5. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (471) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

I've never actually seen the Beer Camp packs around here. That said, if I do by some miracle stumble across one, the worldwide version would probably be something I'd buy -- Sierra Nevada's collaborations with German brewers on the Oktoberfest have been great so far, and more along those lines is always welcome.

6. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,280) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

But that beer camp was pretty good. Not worth the money but if split with a buddy I didn't mind it. It sat for quite some time but it also went fast out of other places. I'm in southern ocean County.

Badfish, Wiffler27 and FBarber like this.
  7. colts9016

colts9016 Poo-Bah (1,624) Jul 2, 2007 Idaho
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I split a mine last year a couple were pretty good. The only way I wold this year is if I split it again.

Badfish likes this.
  8. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (626) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Why do we need a beer that is very similar to kellerweiss? Keller is a great beer that I almost never see on a shelf and when I do it's ancient. Just make Keller in a 12 pack. I only see 6 packs

Enjoy

9. FBarber

I did the same thing last year - split a 12 pack with a buddy and we each got one of each of the beers. But that doesn't look like it will be as possible this year if it's 12 different beers.

10. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Savant (997) Jul 27, 2013 California

This sounds great. I'll be a buyer for sure.

My favorite "beer camp" format was a few years back, when it was a twelve pack with twelve unique brews. That was amazing. Last year was less inspiring.

jdell15, woodchipper, Badfish and 7 others like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,007) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

I bought a case (24 bottles) of the 2014 Beer Camp beers. It thought most of the beers were OK - Good. A few were very good.

Based upon the 2014 pack I was not motivated to buy later packs.

Maybe this 2017 release will be a worthwhile purchase?

Cheers!

Badfish likes this.
  12. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Savant (949) Nov 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I always have room for everything Sierra Nevada in my beer fridge.

13. sierranevadabill

sierranevadabill Aspirant (244) Jul 2, 2008 California

Can't say much about this yet...I will confirm one thing...back to twelve different beers.

14. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Savant (958) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

i bought a 12 pack of it when i first saw it and enjoyed some of them but hated none. i still see a few cases at my local store in Hunterdon County

15. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,501) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

12 beers in a 12 pack? Assuming they are all different beers, as it seems to be worded that way, I'll be picking up a box of this. This marks the first time I'm excited for a 12 pack release.

That is, unless it's over $30. That's a clean dollar more per bottle then a general SN 6 pack.

ElijahSF and Brolo75 like this.
  16. 717

717 Initiate (132) Sep 17, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Sierra Nevada teased that there will be a Tree House collaboration in the new Beer Camp.

17. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (1,990) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

Yeah, I saw a piece in All About Beer today, and it looks pretty insane overall. Fuller's, Ayinger, Duvel, Surly, Boneyard, etc. From the descriptions of the beers, I just may have to grab 2 packs from the get go.

18. Rorshak16

Rorshak16 Initiate (124) Oct 18, 2016 Maryland

Well this sounds awesome

19. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (175) Mar 28, 2011 New York

20. FBarber

"Participating breweries include Avery Brewing Co. (Boulder, Colorado); Ayinger Brewery (Aying, Germany); Boneyard Beer (Bend, Oregon); Duvel (Breendonk, Belgium); Fuller’s Brewery (London); Garage Project (Wellington, New Zealand); Kiuchi Brewery (Naka, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan); Mikkeller (Copenhagen, Denmark); Saint Arnold Brewing Co. (Houston); Surly Brewing Co. (Minneapolis); The Bruery (Placentia, California); and Tree House Brewing Co. (Monson, Massachusetts)."

:grimacing: I really ought to temper my hopes for this .... but, but the list of beers/breweries look great!

21. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (218) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

How's the line looking?

22. ecpho

I have a feeling this is going to be quite an expensive 12 pack (if they ever get distributed around here - I'm seeing alot less and less of SN in my area).

23. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (230) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Whoa, just read that link. There are some very ambitious beers described.

One interesting detail is that it sounds like the formats will vary throughout the pack. Specifically, the IPAs will be 16oz. cans while (I assume) the rest will be 12oz. bottles...

cello likes this.
  24. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (1,517) Apr 6, 2010 Texas
    Supporter Beer Trader

There's 10 12-packs minimum sitting in my beer store.

They keep cutting the price, but it's not moving.

25. zid

Beer Trader

The suggested price is in the article you posted. $25.

26. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (626) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Had the original 12 packs.....bought two. None were bad one or two were really good but at almost $50 a case I would pass next time. Not tried any since then.

Tried the fat tire pack as well.....nothing good there......it was only $14 though

Would love to see a nice AAL collab pack made with top brewers but dont see that happening

Enjoy

27. ecpho

Probably be sold for about $30-35 around here then, I think I'd pass on that.

Gemini6 likes this.
  28. zid

Beer Trader

With this being an "across the world" pack, I would have been happy if the entire pack was two bottles each of the six international collaborations... but I'm not complaining about the list.

I am really looking forward to this, but for my tastes, it feels like there's one too many beers that are designed to taste like something else. Vanilla in the smoked malt beer... :slight_frown:

On the flip side, I can't wait for the Ayinger beer. I like it when the story about a beer is simply the collaboration itself rather than an ingredient list.

I hope the Tree House beer doesn't make it difficult for me to grab a pack whenever I feel like it.

Hayden34 and TongoRad like this.
  29. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,650) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Most of the beers have a lot of added ingredients. I don't mind coffee in my stouts and porters or fruit in some beers but some of the ingredients don't sound very appealing. There are about four beers I'd love to try, not sure if it will be worth it.

mschofield and raynmoon like this.
  30. beermeplz

beermeplz Disciple (331) Feb 13, 2015 California

sounds like a good assortment - will be picking up for sure

ericwo and fehrminator like this.
  31. tfs8271

tfs8271 Initiate (41) Mar 14, 2007 California

Doesn't sound so bad...

“It’s probably a tamer beer than a lot of the beers we do,” says Pete Gillespie of Garage Project. “When I drink it, it’s kind of like a hug from an aunt that you really like. It’s not that it’s sexy—it shouldn’t be sexy. But it’s kind of comforting.”

32. Badfish

Badfish Initiate (80) Sep 6, 2013 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

That doesn't surprise me. I feel like the Beer Camps get more underwhelming each year, especially for the price you pay.

33. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (200) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I think this sounds awesome. Will definitely be trying to pick it up. The last one was decent. Bought a 12 pack and shared with friends, this time that wont' be as easy.

34. nachos

nachos Initiate (95) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

East Meets West IPA with Tree House Brewing Co.

Described by brewers as a “not-so-super-duper-hazy IPA with low bitterness and a boatload of hops”—Citra and Mosaic hops, to be specific. Along with the other two IPAs in the pack, East Meets West will be packaged in 16-ounce cans. “They each have their own unique voice and flavor profile,” says Manley, referring to the IPAs. “If you’re an IPA person or new to the style, one of those three are going to be right up your alley.”

The bold in particular intrigues me . . . 16 ounce cans within the 12 pack? or is this a separate packaging? I kind of hope it is a separate packaging.

35. Dravin

Dravin Disciple (384) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana
    Subscriber

Excuse me while I squee like a tween girl at a boy band concert...

To be a little more serious, I'll be picking this one up. The price means it'll be a special treat rather than me trying to keep the fridge stocked until I can't find it anymore but that's okay (and I could always just drink a little more Nooner to make room in the budget). If one was giving the beers mentioned the side eye I could see how one would be more inclined to pick something else up instead. For me though, the only one mentioned that gets a sideways glance from me is the Raspberry Sundae*, all the others range from sounding delicious to intriguing me.

*Though if I just want to embrace diabetes it does sound like it'd make a killer float.

Jkolls likes this.
  36. zid

Beer Trader

The pack will probably consist of both bottles and cans the way that is was done a few years ago. Back then, the Oskar Blues collaboration was packaged as a can among the other bottles within.

37. zid

Beer Trader

You must have liked your aunts more than me. :wink:

I got very excited when I got up to the "malt smoked with wood" line. I don't think I've ever had a Sierra Nevada beer with smoked malt. Then I got up to "vanilla" and my heart sank. To continue the hug analogy, unless it's an egg cream, vanilla is often the kiss of death for me in a beverage. That said, I'm still excited to try it. :slight_smile:

tfs8271, Ozzylizard and ecpho like this.
  38. Andy311x

Andy311x Aspirant (256) Apr 28, 2008 North Carolina
    Subscriber

I am beyond excited for this. So happy it's back to the 12 unique beer format. Collaborating breweries sound fantastic. Absolutely can not wait to pick a few 12-packs up. I hope it's availability is more similar to last year than 2014. 2014 packs were next to impossible to get

39. thewaterispoison

thewaterispoison Initiate (163) Jun 22, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Thai iced tea beer.....be still my heart.

The Bruery, Tree House, Garage Project, and Duvel offerings excite me too. Looking forward to this. The Beer Camp boxes are always fun.

Ricelikesbeer and atomicpunk5151 like this.
  40. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,593) Oct 25, 2003 France
    Beer Trader

1. Today at 2:09 AM Show
    2. [​IMG]
      aquabearsAspirant (264)Mar 29, 2016Connecticut
      Beer Trader
      • This message has been removed from public view.
    3. http://allaboutbeer.com/sierra-nevada-beer-camp-across-the-world/

INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATIONS
      Dunkel Weisse with Ayinger Brewery
      Hoppy Belgian-Style Golden Ale Brewed w/ Lemon Peels with Duvel
      Atlantic Vintage Ale with Fuller’s Brewery
      Campout Porter with Garage Project
      White IPA w/ Yuzu with Kiuchi Brewery
      Thai-Style Iced Tea with Mikkeller

AMERICAN COLLABORATIONS
      Dry-Hopped Barleywine Style Ale with Avery Brewing Co.
      West Coast Style DIPA with Boneyard Beer
      Dry-Hopped Berliner Weisse with Saint Arnold Brewing Co.
      Ginger Lager with Surly Brewing Co.
      Raspberry Sundae with The Bruery
      East Meets West IPA with Tree House Brewing Co.

4. #70 aquabears, Today at 7:41 AM
    5. Edit Delete IP Warn Report
    6. + Quote Reply
    7. ManBearPat and raynmoon like this.
    8. [​IMG]
      i_run_farInitiate (134)Aug 11, 2016District of Columbia
      Beer Trader
      Sounds good, my biggest complaints with last years was the price (~$30) and all the beers were close to 2 months old. I don't see the price being much better but hopefully they can get it out faster this year.

#71 i_run_far, Today at 7:46 AM
      Edit Delete IP Warn Report
      Like + Quote Reply

9. [​IMG]
      JackHorzempaPoo-Bah (2,471)Dec 15, 2005Pennsylvania

hopefully they can get it out faster this year.
      I am personally not counting. There are 12 different beers that need to be produced for this pack. It would be difficult (impossible?) for Sierra Nevada to produce these beers simultaneously along with their regular production beers.

Hopefully they will produce the hoppy beers last.

Cheers!

#72 JackHorzempa, Today at 10:17 AM
      Like + Quote Reply

10. [​IMG]
      MNAleDefender (643)Sep 5, 2011Minnesota

I found this to be interesting re: the Atlantic Vintage Ale:

John Keeling of Fuller’s believes the beer will taste best with age.

“Now we’re tasting the potential of where the beer can go,” says Keeling. “Last Thursday we drank 10 of the different vintages [of Fuller’s Vintage Ale] right back to 1999 and the 1999 was astounding. So don’t drink this for another 20 years. Or, buy 64 bottles of it, drink one every couple of months.”

#73 MNAle, Today at 10:50 AM
      Like + Quote Reply

11. [​IMG]
      raynmoonDefender (672)Aug 13, 2011Colorado
      Beer Trader
      Why has this thread turned into some political debate?

#74 raynmoon, Today at 11:14 AM
      Like + Quote Reply
      ManBearPat likes this.
    12. [​IMG]
      raynmoonDefender (672)Aug 13, 2011Colorado
      Beer Trader
      Most excited for the Boneyard DIPA, love Boneyard.

Interesting to see Treehouse making a non-hazy IPA. It'll probably be something similar to Beer Camp Tropical IPA.

#75 raynmoon, Today at 11:19 AM
      Edit History Delete IP Warn Report
      Like + Quote Reply

13. [​IMG]
      MNAleDefender (643)Sep 5, 2011Minnesota

Why has this thread turned into some political debate?
      Actually, the first 70 posts in this thread have nothing to do with the title of the thread. It looks to me like two threads got combined that should not have been combined.

Moderators? Can you fix this?

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.