Release Sierra Nevada Beer For Drinking in 19.2 oz cans

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BeastOfTheNortheast, Mar 7, 2018.

1. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (266) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Instagram post below:

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,639) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

FWIW that beer can looks "shiny" and it is most certainly new.

Cheers!

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,325) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Other versions of the label called it a "Hoppy Blonde Ale" and a keg label had the ABV at 4.5%, rather than the 4.8% that 19.2 oz can label says.

FBarber and Bitterbill like this.
  4. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (525) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

When I was reading the thread about Sierra Nevada refocusing on their Pale Ale and upping their marketing game, I wondered whether new label designs might be in the offing. I actually love their existing branding but I imagine it might look a bit stodgy to people who didn't grow up with it.

I wonder if the can design here is a sign of things to come?

5. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (8,425) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I CAN't wait to add this one to The CANQuest (tm)!

Prep8611, JJFoodie, tzieser and 5 others like this.
  6. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,040) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

Good play on the name, it's going to be a BFD :wink:

7. Ale_Jedi

Ale_Jedi Initiate (52) Oct 13, 2015 California

I can't help but see that too haha

8. rronin

rronin Initiate (177) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

Beer in pints (cans or bottles) make perfect sense. 22 oz bombers make sense (although I would prefer 24 ozs) for sharing. A 19.2 oz container doesn't make as much sense. At least the can is pretty.

9. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2007 Georgia

These should retail for around $1.69-$1.99, depending on your market.

Prep8611 likes this.
  10. JackHorzempa

Premium

I will keep a look out. Based upon what prices others report for their Sierra Nevada beers I would expect a price like two-fiddy in my area (SEPA). For some reason Sierra Nevada beers are priced notably higher in my area.

Cheers!

ESHBG and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  11. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (648) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

$1.99 Makes this equal to a $30 case. Since we pay almost $40 a case I'm guessing closer to $3 a can for this one.

I'm out.

@SierraTerence why is your beer so much more here in SEPA?

Enjoy

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  12. jesskidden

19.2 US ounces = 1 Imperial Pint.

(How does 22 oz. "make sense" ?)

13. JackHorzempa

Premium

Best of luck with your query here! I have been discussing this topic many, many times and all that I have heard is "the sound of silence".

Non-cheers to the Sierra Nevada retail prices in SEPA!:slight_frown:

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  14. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (278) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium

Boy, am I in the minority, but I will buy nothing packaged in anything larger the 12 oz format. Enough is enough. My liver and scale tend to agree. Cheers!

LuskusDelph, beertunes and ESHBG like this.
  15. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,163) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

I love the existing branding as well....timeless for me

John1985, rgordon and meefmoff like this.
  16. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (139) Mar 14, 2007 California

We have suggested $1.99/can to retail based off standard distro/retail margins. Once the beer leaves our warehouse it's in their court.

@JackHorzempa you might state radio silence but I think you know the system and your beef is not with Sierra Nevada.

17. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,040) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

I too prefer my beers in smaller doses. Buy yourself a decent stopper and open up the possibility of enjoying the many excellent beers that are unfortunately only available in 22oz and 25oz.

MJS08 likes this.
  18. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (207) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

If I recall correctly, our former Sierra Nevada insider once commented on the success of their pint cans in gas stations/convenience stores and how they would remain a focus for them going forward. I think that is a marketplace, the gas station single, that many of us forget about.

It would seem that this particular beer, in both style and format, was developed primarily for that specific retail space. I certainly hope @SierraTerence will chime in if I am way off base.

Style wise, I'm looking forward to trying it. Lately, my favorite lower ABV standby has been Kona Big Wave, which is a really refreshing blonde with some fruity-lemony hops. It will be interesting to compare, and the convenience of being able to grab one (BFD) at any c-store will be quite handy.

Lahey, jakecattleco, tzieser and 2 others like this.
  19. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,087) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Gives you that bonus 2 ounces for the mouse in your pocket. :wink:

BTW -- hate the new "Casually Crushable" tagline. Aren't we past the whole crushable fad?

20. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,378) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

That size will fit into a nonic pint glass perfectly, so it makes sense to me.

A 500 ml can fits perfectly into my Willi Becher glass.

21. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (84) May 1, 2017 Ohio

Unfortunately this fad is only really beginning.

SunDevilBeer and Haybeerman like this.
  22. Haybeerman

Haybeerman Poo-Bah (2,309) May 21, 2008 Colorado
    Premium

Yup. Too much capacity in the industry and softening trends. It's well on its own way, but get ready for lots more lighter, cheaper to produce beers at a lower price from craft brewers.

CannedWaggoneer likes this.
  23. steveh

I don't mean the "fad" of easy-to-drink, low ABV beers -- I mean the fad of using trendy catch phrases to sound kewl.

Bitterbill, Lahey, MrRB and 6 others like this.
  24. Haybeerman

Premium

Got it. Is "sessionable" still vogue or are we past that one?

25. steveh

Well...
    "The beer is described as "sessionable." This is pure geek-speak, the snarly rebellion that "if I can drink four of them, that's sessionable!" This is sneaking into the session beer conversation, and yet...what does it mean? That a particular person will drink more than four of them? That doesn't mean much, and neither does this word.

No, really, it doesn't: you know how when you put a word followed by "definition" into Google, and fourteen competing "dictionaries" offer their definition? The only one that offers a definition for "sessionable" is the Urban Dictionary (and it's a reasonable one (!), and there's a very good definition at "session beer" too; the first one, that is). Merriam-Webster, my go-to for definitions? "The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary."

Therefore, I've made a decision: I'm not going to use the word "sessionable" anymore. It's become a weasel word, a dodge. I used it three times in past blog posts, and I've gone back and clarified those occasions, changing it to "session-strength." A small thing, but if this word's going to be misused, it's not going to be with my help."

The Session Beer Project by Lew Bryson.

26. jesskidden

Well, "crushable" is advantageous for those in non-Mandatory Deposit Law states who collect and sell their aluminum. Saves money on heavy duty leaf/garbage bags the more crushed cans you can fit into one of 'em.

And "casually" is decidedly another plus 'cause many times there's a bit of beer left in the cans and it can be a bit messy and often formal attire requires dry cleaning! :grin:

27. JackHorzempa

Premium

Yes, the Sierra Nevada beer supply chain is a system. For some reason this system works ‘better’ in other states (e.g., the neighboring state of Delaware) than is does in PA. My apologies in advance for venting but: the system stinks in PA.:slight_frown:

Non-cheers to the system here!!

@Giantspace @ESHBG

28. Haybeerman

Premium

Gives me good reason to just keep calling beer - beer

Troutbeerbum, surfcaster and steveh like this.
  29. CannedWaggoneer

Juicy. Dank. Hazy. Murky. Milkshake. Double dry hopped has even lost it's real meaning.

Just getting started.

Haybeerman likes this.
  30. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (648) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

@SierraTerence can you tell me what the MSRP is on the core brands? The price of 12/24 packs in the Philly area is well more than other places/states. Do you have any input as to why this could be?

Enjoy

31. Haybeerman

Premium

I've read before there are a few things that contribute to PA having the highest beer prices:
    • 18% hidden tax levied in 1936 (10%) and again in 1951 (another 8%) due to the Johnstown floods; literally called the Johnstown Floods Tax; it's never been repealed, it just goes into the states general fund now. All see on your receipt is the sales tax, not the excise tax (which is not high) or the flood tax.
    • Infrastructure; protections for the rail industry make shipping and distributing in trucks more expensive than some other states
    • The 4 tier system of producer, master distributor, home distributor and retailer add an additional markup layer relative to most states
    • PA is in the upper third in labor
    Any one of these isn't the highest of any other state, but all together have quite an impact.

#31 Haybeerman, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  32. JackHorzempa

Premium

That is incorrect. The Johnstown tax is only applied to Spirits and Wine; beer is exempt.
    My local beer retailers purchase from the Wholesale (master) Distributors so it is three tiers (Sierra Nevada -> Origlio -> Retailers) for my beer purchases.

I am unaware of any difference in transportation costs in PA vs. my neighboring state of DE. Can you provide specifics here?

Cheers!

33. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia

It's terrible, I'm embarrassed for SN

34. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (226) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I was too when I saw that.

CannedWaggoneer likes this.
  35. Haybeerman

Premium

Thanks for clarifying; I didn't remember it differentiating, but I checked and you are right. I can't find the source (I've slept since then), but looking at couple other things, looks like there is a use tax on heavy trucks and the highest fuel tax rates in the country.

36. jesskidden

Well, another version of the label (which also listed it at 4.5% ABV) didn't use the phrase:

[​IMG]

But, I suspect, the beer geekery would be arguing over that, too.

37. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

You would go thirsty here in MA. 2/3 rds? of everything is 16 oz cans x 4 or 6.

MJS08 likes this.
  38. CannedWaggoneer

As it was so eloquently put and subsequently deleted from the an earlier thread (shown above), there's a segment of craft beer "fans" that would not buy this beer if it was described as a blonde ale. SN surely realized this. The group who would be interested in an American Blonde ale are not the ones who would be interested in a 19.2oz can marketed as "beer for drinking".

39. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (278) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium

I have never been to MA, but, yes, I guess I would do without.

40. JackHorzempa

Premium

Pretty simple solution for this as regards my area. When they truck up the beers from North Carolina they can purchase their fuel prior to arriving to SEPA. The Philly area borders northern Delaware.

Cheers!