Sierra Nevada & Bitburger to release Triple Hop'd Lager

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by herrburgess, Feb 6, 2020.

1. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,121) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry

(Mills River, NC) – Following up on their wildly successful first collaboration beer “Oktoberfest” in fall 2019, Sierra Nevada and Bitburger Brewery, producer of Germany’s #1 draft beer, are embarking on their next project together for release in March.

In May 2019, Bitburger’s member of the managing board and 7th generation co-owner, Jan Niewodniczanski, as well as brewmasters, Stefan Meyna and Stefan Hanke, traveled to Sierra Nevada’s North Carolina brewery to join Sierra Nevada’s brewmaster, Scott Jennings, as well as owners, Ken and Brian Grossman, to create an Oktoberfest style beer. The beer used Bitburger’s house yeast strain (the first time the yeast has ever traveled outside of the brewery!) and proprietary hop blend, ‘Siegelhopfen’, to create a delicious Festbier that received rave reviews. Based on the demand for further collaboration, Bitburger invited their friends from Sierra Nevada to join them in their historic home to continue the partnership.

“We’re extremely excited to have the opportunity to bring the second collaborative offering between these two iconic breweries to the U.S. market”, said Phil Clarke, president of St. Killian Importing Company. “We feel that it’s a true example of Bitburger’s ability to connect with U.S. consumers and further build upon its reputation as one of the most respected German breweries.”

“After our successful collaboration last year, we knew that we wanted to partner again with Sierra Nevada,” said Dr. Stefan Meyna, brewmaster at Bitburger. “Our brewing philosophies, commitment to using quality materials and keeping our loyal customers at the forefront are completely in sync. After our wonderful experience at Sierra Nevada in Mills River, North Carolina, it was only natural that we returned the hospitality and welcomed them to brew our next beer in Bitburg, Germany.”

In December 2019, Sierra Nevada’s Brian Grossman and Scott Jennings traveled to Bitburg, Germany to brew the next collaboration beer at the Bitburger brewery. This second collaboration, Triple Hop’d Lager, is due to release in 11.2 ounce six pack cans, 11.2 ounce 24 loose cans, and draft in March 2020. This collaboration beer is highlighted by a combination of American hops, Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook, paired together with ‘Siegelhopfen’ – Bitburger’s proprietary and unique hop blend that’s sourced from a farm just a few minutes from the brewery! Unique to this one-time brew, the same farm provided the Cascade hops that lends Triple Hop’d Lager its desirable floral and citrus/grapefruit profile. Jointly, the American and German hops shape the unique and exciting profile of a very enjoyable 5.8% ABV beer. This one-time limited offering, in addition to the “perfect pilsner”, Bitburger Premium Pils, will be available in selected global markets, including the United States.

“It was a privilege for us to work with the Bitburger brewers on the Festbier collaboration, and to be able to work out a second project with the Triple Hop’d Lager is the icing on the cake. We’re proud to have the opportunity to brew together in the beautiful Bitburger brewery and meet the team there, and we’re very excited about the project and the beer itself,” said Scott Jennings, Sierra Nevada brewmaster.

Though physically 4,300 miles apart, these two breweries are of like mind when it comes to the passion of brewing beer. Both breweries enjoy a long family run history and are constantly seeking to develop in innovative ways. The art of brewing has been passed onto generation after generation, and both are committed to using first-class hops, the purest brewing water, choice malts and the best yeast while executing their craft. Sierra Nevada even uses a hand-crafted German brew kettle that Ken Grossman, founder of Sierra Nevada, bought in Germany and reassembled in Chico California 1984. With this shared understanding, the two brewing teams met up, shared their many years of experience, intense passion for brewing and their love for the finest ingredients to brew their second distinctive beer together.

About Bitburger Brewery
    Bitburger is one of the most important privately-owned breweries in Germany. The company’s success over the past 200 years has been the result of its uncompromising commitment to highest quality, courage for technical innovations and dedicated employees. Furthermore, as a family-owned company in the seventh generation, Bitburger has always been very active in its home region. It goes without saying that a careful use of natural resources as well as the protection of the environment and climate have never been taken for granted. https://www.bitburger.com

About Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
    Inspired by frequent trips to the Sierra Nevada mountain range, Ken Grossman founded Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. in 1980. Highly regarded for using only the finest quality ingredients, Sierra Nevada has set the standard for craft brewers worldwide with innovations in the brewhouse and in its sustainability efforts. The pioneering spirit that launched Sierra Nevada now spans both coasts with breweries in Chico, California and Mills River, North Carolina. Sierra Nevada continues to honor its mountain heritage through day-to-day sustainability efforts and programs like Pale Ale for Trails. The brewery is famous for its extensive line of beers including Pale Ale, Hazy Little Thing®, Torpedo®, Tropical Torpedo® and a host of seasonal, specialty and limited release beers. https://sierranevada.com

###

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,368) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Triple Hop’d Lager”

Rut-roh! Will the use of an apostrophe save Bitburger/Sierra Nevada from a law suit from Molson Coors!?!:astonished:

[​IMG]

From the link:

“This collaboration beer is highlighted by a combination of American hops, Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook, paired together with ‘Siegelhopfen’ – Bitburger’s proprietary and unique hop blend that’s sourced from a farm just a few minutes from the brewery! Unique to this one-time brew, the same farm provided the Cascade hops that lends Triple Hop’d Lager its desirable floral and citrus/grapefruit profile. Jointly, the American and German hops shape the unique and exciting profile of a very enjoyable 5.8% ABV beer.”

Needless to say there are no details about relative hop amounts but it will be interesting to see of the if the Siegelhopfen’ hop blend flavor will be noticeable against the contributions of Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook?

If I see this beer for sale I will purchase a 6-pack. Sounds like an intriguing ‘experiment’ to me.

Cheers to Bitburger & Sierra Nevada for this innovational idea!

@SierraTerence

3. waltari

waltari Initiate (74) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

If the price is right....

4. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,637) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

While I respect both, this doesn't sound up my alley at all. I'm curious enough to want to try it, but no way am I getting 6 of them.
    Hopefully I can buy a single can or maybe I'll see it on tap somewhere.

5. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,663) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

[​IMG]

Oh, wait... that's Hasenpfeffer ...

6. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,121) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry

if I didn't know this was Siegelhopfen, id swear it was Cluster

Bitterbill, FBarber and MNAle like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

Society

Maybe the Siegelhopfen is what Yosemite Sam is adding to the ‘brew kettle’!?!:confused:

Cheers!

8. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (955) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

There is no reason not to expect this not to be an excellent brew!!

9. PNW

PNW Initiate (151) Dec 23, 2019 Washington
    Society Trader

10. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,180) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Will try if I see it for sure....

Bitterbill likes this.
  11. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,595) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Well... ?:thinking_face:

bstyle, meanmutt and officerbill like this.
  12. zid

zid Meyvn (1,411) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

For me, it would have been far more interesting if they made it a single hop beer with the German grown Cascades instead of that complicated list. I would expect Cascades from Germany to be different from US west coast Cascades. Instead of them going for the German/American hop melting pot approach, they could have done a German lager riff on SNPA with just the German Cascades. Opportunity lost.

13. honkey

honkey Zealot (579) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Society Industry

I’ll be seeking this out. I’ve already asked a bottle shop to keep an eye out for ordering for me. I can’t wait!

14. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,944) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, there might have been a reason why Miller originally went with the awkward sounding "Triple Hops Brewed" instead of the simpler "Triple Hopped" in their trademarked phrase... (©1938)
    [​IMG]

15. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,678) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I still remember Bittburger fondly for being a solid hop fix type beer from the 90s, so I'm really looking forward to this one, and my big mug will be ready to go when I see it.

Hasenpfeffer Incorporated would actually be a great name for a beer. :sunglasses:

16. Eefinn

Eefinn Initiate (37) Oct 19, 2019 Vermont

It sounds great, I'll get some if I see it. I usually avoid nonsense buzzwords by not drinking many IPAs, so I'm a little disappointed that they called it "Triple Hop'd," but I'm sure the beer will be good.

17. zid

Society Trader

At first I thought it was odd that they were packaging this in 11.2oz sizers, when I assume it would probably be easier for them to go with 500ml four packs (I've never seen the former format from them). Then I figured that they are probably going to charge more money per oz for this beer than their flagship, and they are aiming for like-for-like packaging. In this case (with the European standards), the six and four pack are very close to the same volume. Bitburger four packs by me costs about $5. I'm gonna bet this sixer will be more money than that. This packaging choice is probably because people will be less likely to compare the cost of it to Bitburger four packs. I'm just speculating here. @JackHorzempa

18. JackHorzempa

Society

My preferred package format is six-pack/12 ounces and this is pretty close to that format.

If the price of this 6-pack is reasonable (e.g., not $13+) I will be buying one.

Cheers!

keithmurray and FBarber like this.
  19. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,801) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Totally agree, its just a guess, but I would expect this to be closer to the SN 6-pack pricing.

Im definitely looking for this and will grab a 6-pack. Mainly just hope that its not too old by the time it shows up.

zid likes this.
  20. jesskidden

Society Trader

The Bitburger importer, St. Killians, has a pic of the can on it's website's page for the Bitburger brands (including a Köstritzer Pale Ale that I haven't come across, but might only be available in their PROST! variety pack?).
    [​IMG]

21. zid

Society Trader

I would like to buy some too. I don’t know how different this will be from their standard Pilsner, but it’s possibly similar except for the additional hops. If it’s hypothetically a “reasonable” $10 (but who knows), that’s twice the price of the flagship. That’s comparable to a brewer with $10 six packs and $20 four packs... just with the formats reversed. :slight_smile:

FBarber likes this.
  22. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (618) Mar 28, 2009 California

I love Bitburger, Sierra Nevada, hoppy beers, lagers, their Oktoberfest collaboration so I can’t wait!

rgordon and TongoRad like this.
  23. JackHorzempa

Society

Which would result in a notably different beer.

Cheers!

pjeagles, AlcahueteJ and officerbill like this.
  24. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,663) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

That's the European standard small can size (330ml), their equivalent of our 12 oz can in consumer packaging of soft drinks, beer, etc.

officerbill likes this.
  25. zid

Society Trader

Yeah, I know. I thought it was odd compared to using a 500ml.

26. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,801) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

They must have just changed the PROST! pack recently - when I bought it, it did not have the Köstritzer Pale Ale in it. It was just bitburger pilsner, Benediktiner helles and weissbier and Köstritzer Schwarz. The new pack appears to have Bitburger Pilsner, Bitburger Radler, Köstritzer Schwarzbier, Köstritzer Pale Ale.

AlcahueteJ and officerbill like this.
  27. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,252) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

For what it's worth, one German online shop has preorders available for this at 1.79€ a can. I'm very curious if this will be widely available in German supermarkets and if it's going to be under the same name. I can find very little German news articles on this online.

For some reason, they have a much more limited distro on their Pale Ale than the Schwarz- and Kellerbier in Germany. Even though the former two are everywhere in my area, the Pale Ale is just not available at all. Which is a shame because I ordered a bottle online once and thought it was rather nice for an industrial macro Pale Ale.

28. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (452) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

No doubt it will be a well made beer, but triple hopped anything is too hopped for me.

29. JackHorzempa

Society

Miller Lite is too hoppy for you!?!:flushed:

Cheers!

66jzmstr, meefmoff, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  30. jesskidden

Society Trader

But "hopped" can refer only to when/how often the hops are added to the brew kettle, the finished wort and/or during/after fermentation, not the rate of hops or the pounds per barrel.

As @JackHorzempa noted in post #2 up above*, the ~10 IBU Miller Lite is "triple hopped". A 2009 BevIndustry magazine cover story on the newly merged MillerCoors noted: "Some of Miller-Coors' product are hopped as many as six times".

*And again just now as I was typing...:grin:

31. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,595) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

They tried using that hop cone a 7th time, but the flavor and bitterness were worn out. :wink:

32. officerbill

Society Trader

You've got me there, but care to wager that this beer will have a lower IBU than Pale Ale (38) or even Hoponius (65)?

33. JackHorzempa

Society

34. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,167) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

FBarber likes this.
  35. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,877) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Looking forward to this one.
    :beers::beers::beers:

tasterschoice62 likes this.
  36. JackHorzempa

Society

Will you be sending me a Miller Lite or will @officerbill!?!:confused:

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and officerbill like this.
  37. officerbill

Society Trader

I've got some McDonald's certificates left from Halloween or I can send you the 6 of the Jack's Abby German porter I bought today. :grin:
    Edit- I just realized you cited untapped, is that really a reliable source?

FBarber likes this.
  38. JackHorzempa

Society

It is reliable enough if McDonald's certificates is the prize.:wink:

Cheers!

39. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,825) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

It's also listed at 30 IBUs on Ratebeer.

officerbill and JackHorzempa like this.
  40. JackHorzempa

Society

Woo-Hoo! Maybe I can get McDonald's certificates and beer!!:slight_smile:

Cheers!