News Sierra Nevada Brewery Issues 36-State Recall of Select Beers

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Jan 22, 2017.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (220) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

The beer affected by this recall includes those brands listed below with a packaging date that falls within the range with a code of "M" (Mills River) and not "C" (Chico), which is all information that can be found printed on the packaging or shoulder of the bottle:

Pale Ale 12-ounce bottles in 6-, 12- and 24-pack (cases) packaged 12/5/16-1/8/17
    Beer Camp Golden IPA 12-ounce bottles in 6- and 12-pack (cases) packaged 12/5/16-1/13/17
    Sidecar Orange Pale Ale 12-ounce bottles in 6- and 12-pack (cases) packaged 12/5/16-1/13/17
    Torpedo Extra IPA 12-ounce bottles in 6- and 12-pack (cases) packaged 12/5/16-1/13/17

Tropical Torpedo 12-ounce bottles in 6-packs packaged 12/5/16-1/13/17
    Nooner 12-ounce bottles in 6-packs packaged 12/5/16-1/13/17
    Hop Hunter 12-ounce bottles in 6- and 12-pack (cases) packaged 12/5/16-1/13/17
    Otra Vez 12-ounce bottles in 6-packs packaged 12/5/16-1/13/17

The recalled beers were packaged between Dec. 5, 2016, and Jan. 13, 2017.

The recall was issued after quality inspections at the company's Mills River, North Carolina, brewery detected a limited number of bottles made with a flaw "that may cause a small piece of glass to break off and possibly fall into the bottle," the statement said.

http://6abc.com/food/sierra-nevada-brewery-issues-36-state-recall-of-select-beers/1715402/

2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,986) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

If I have one of these, I'll just tie a bouquet garni bag over the mouth of the bottle before I pour it. What could possibly go wrong? :astonished:

3. kell50

kell50 Meyvn (1,201) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina

Ohh boy. Hmm, well.. I've had most on the list and I'm feeling fine, besides of course the bloody phlegm.

eppCOS, apendecto, FBarber and 10 others like this.
  4. ben4unc

ben4unc Initiate (166) Feb 28, 2013 North Carolina

Hate this for SN. Hope no one gets hurt... Just submitted a claim and drain poured 6 Golden IPA's - Great Beer! Not willing to try my luck with 1 in 10,000 glass in bottle lottery! This will not change my future purchases of SN beer!

woodchipper, ebin6, sefus12 and 3 others like this.
  5. mvice001

mvice001 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2007 Maryland

I guess it's too late. I already drank 3 of these this past week before I got this. So.. far no internal bleeding or any vomiting of glass. Guess I'm good to go.

6. dcotom

Premium Trader

More information is available on the Sierra Nevada web site. There is also an online form for reimbursement claims.

LuskusDelph, DonicBoom and drtth like this.
  7. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (134) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Another reason to can instead of bottle!
    Hope nobody gets hurt.

8. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,262) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium Trader

I will join you in that, especially since I have some of the listed offenders in my beer fridge.

dcotom likes this.
  9. BasterdInABasket

BasterdInABasket Aspirant (205) Nov 8, 2010 Wisconsin

Says Torpedo 6 and 12 packs, I have some M Torpedos within those dates but from the 4 way IPA.
    Safe to drink or should I give them as gifts to my boss?

10. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,462) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

Went through a six pack of the Side Car. So far so good...

11. dcotom

Premium Trader

Yes to both. :wink: From the web site:

VABA likes this.
  12. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (174) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Wait so that dry glass hopped ipa was unintentional? I thought that was the newest thing?

13. dcotom

Premium Trader

Mikkeller Crunch Weasel

14. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,344) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I just saw this on my local news. I know I drank a bunch of these and no issue with any I had.

15. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,010) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

I wonder... if the first of these were bottled 7 weeks ago and the last 9 days ago, ... what took so long?

16. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (247) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Did they make it clear that the Mills River (M on the label) location was having a recall and AZ was not affected? I guess I'm lucky being in NM. We are not affected by this either

17. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (441) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Whew... got a little worried for a second there, but fortunately the last couple of Torpedoes left in my fridge are from shortly before the start of the "oops, there might be glass in these" range.

18. 1stand3rd

1stand3rd Initiate (68) Mar 13, 2009 New Jersey

I have a six pack of Tropical Torpedo with label date 12/29/16 and bottle code of 35216 A1P 23:01. Is this effected? I expected to see a bottle code of either 'C' or 'M'.

19. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,634) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Since you are in NJ and probably bought it there, you should assume it is affected. One big reason they built Mills River was to cut shipping costs, etc. from the Chico location. It's not likely they'd ship to NJ from the west coast.

20. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,334) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

You're looking at the wrong "stamped on the bottle" code. The one you noted above is the Owens-Illinois glass mfg code - usually right above the label.

Sierra Nevada's bottling date code is typically located above that one, on the shoulder, with larger "dot matrix" font but much more difficult to find and read (lighter ink). Get out your magnifying glass and a good light - it's a lot easier to read the code by holding the bottle in front of a light rather than shining the light on the bottle (due to the reflection).

#20 jesskidden, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  21. 1stand3rd

Found it! You're right, difficult to read since ink is very light. Code is 122916M16:40.
    Returning it today. Thanks for your help Jesskidden.

22. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,334) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

I don't read anywhere where they suggest bottles can or should be "returned" to retailers.
    http://www.sierranevada.com/qualitymatters
    Sierra Nevada's page is for a refund.
    It will take a bit longer but probably be a lot less hassle - it often takes a while before the retailers get the official word from the brewery and/or distributor and I imagine the retailer would require a receipt. I filled it out this morning and already got what I assume was just an automated reply "We have received your inquiry and will respond with more information and next steps within 48 hours" from SN.

And you save on gas - OTOH, it would be an excuse to visit your local beer store...:grinning:

dcotom, cavedave and drtth like this.
  23. 1stand3rd

Going to the liquor store anyway. Will post an update later in day. Thanks again.

24. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (829) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Looks like Sierra Nevada is giving 100% effort to do the right thing. good for them.

25. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (509) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

The SN announcement implies that affected bottles will have lost carbonation, so if you drank any of the beer in question and it was nice and fizzy you are probably safe. That doesn't mean you should drink any more that you might have on hand - it's a pointless risk, however small, and you can get your money back.

I had 2 Tropical Torpedoes right before I read about the recall last night :slight_frown: but I'm still here with no apparent blood loss.

26. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,634) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Not really, it say that loss of carbonation may happen, not that it will happen.

27. skivtjerry

I read it as "the bottle may have a defect that causes loss of carbonation and a small piece of glass to break off".

Anyway, don't drink it...

mschofield and drtth like this.
  28. CNoj012

CNoj012 Meyvn (1,418) Dec 7, 2014 New York
    Premium Trader

I bought a recalled 6pk of Tropical Torpedo last night and drank 3 of them before reading this. Luckily I'm already at the hospital because my girlfriend is in labor so if anything goes wrong I'll be in good hands. Hopefully no one steals the other 3 out of the community fridge.

Or maybe I'll save the other 3 as congratulatory beers for the in-laws when they come up to see their grandson once he is born :wink::grinning:

29. 1ale_man

1ale_man Initiate (182) Apr 25, 2015 Texas

Got two Side Cars left. No ill effects yet. Will strain these two into a glass and leave just a portion in the bottom of said glass. Should be ok! I've seen videos of people eating glass! What could go wrong?!!

Cheers

dcotom likes this.
  30. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (601) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

I've been on a SN binge of a sorts the past few weeks - went through sixers of Sidecar, Tropical IPA & 4 out of a 12 pack of Golden IPA. All delicious beers, and I won't hold this recall against them - it was the right thing to do.

31. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (494) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

It's probably a several step process for them to make the decision to pull the trigger and there are real time variables working within that in isolating what the real problem is, and also, and finally. Who should eat the costs.
    Finding a problem that is probably going to be smaller than a finger nail clipping among many thousands of bottles when it is not occurring regularly, nor in a consistent sequence, but still often enough to be a serious lawsuit filled PITA is not going to be easy.
    It will take some time to isolate the problem. They would probably want to figure out if it's on their side with an equipment issue that is forcing the glass to do something it does not want to. Or if it is a supply side defect which would then need to be furthur isolated down to the mold number, or numbers it is coming from and remedied.

32. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,770) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Picked up a bottle each of: Beer Camp, Side Car, and Torpedo yesterday. Guess being in CO we are not affected, but still, some of these brews show up here and this shit happens. Looked at my three bottles, looks like all 3 have a C, but shit, really hard to read them codes. They should put them on the label itself, since most of the info is already there.

Cheers!

33. 1stand3rd

Returned my Tropical Torpedo at place of purchase without issue. The manager was actually reading the notice when I came in.

34. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (175) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

SN has had this problem for a long time, at least back to the early 2000's. I'm always careful when I crack their bottles.

Wasatch likes this.
  35. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,344) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

The news did get that right, they indicated the "M" What is odd are the bottles I still have from early purchase don't show any letter on them?

36. Wasatch

Trader

Yesterday I could not find the right code, today I did, it is there, but pretty faint.

Cheers!

37. Wasatch

Trader

Really, from both places or just from Mills River?

Cheers!

38. skivtjerry

I stopped bottling homebrew in SN bottles many years ago because they tend to break when being capped or opened. Not always, more like 5-10% of the time. They are single-use bottles, fair enough, but most don't have this issue.

This makes me wonder about the safety of bottled homebrew... however, I have never heard of any injuries of this kind in 30 years of homebrewing (as of next week).

bushycook likes this.
  39. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (829) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

It had to be in Chico since Mills River has only been open for 2 years.

bushycook and Wasatch like this.
  40. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (175) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

Yeah, obviously from Chico since Mills river didn't exist in the early aughts. It was only maybe 1 bottle out of every, say, 100 bottles of SNPA and later Torpedo through the years. Never had any loss of carb, just the lip of the bottle chipping off a tiny shard when opened.

Wasatch likes this.