Sierra Nevada Brewing replaces Oktoberfest in seasonal lineup with Liquid Hoppiness juicy IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Munimortal, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Munimortal

Munimortal Initiate (32) Sep 13, 2018 Oregon
    Trader

2. defunksta

defunksta Poo-Bah (1,942) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

I stopped drinking Sierra Nevada because of this. Removing an Oktoberfest Marzen felt too personal. However, to be fair their Oktoberfest was good, but far too hoppy for the style anyway. Their move, their choice. I'm sure many breweries will rake in some extra Oktoberfest sales in their absence this year.

3. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (589) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

This one wasnt good but this is more ammo for the old bitter people to further beat this dead horse

This brewery has been snowballing into a major booboo pile since the summerfest fiasco
    They need money tho...to keep axing the beers that made them who they are

4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,657) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

But SN Celebration Ale is already an IPA - at least, it has been so labeled for the last few years.
    [​IMG]

6. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,105) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

So many great ones out there in the style it surely won't be a big loss to anyone, really. Always a bit sad to see familiar things fade away, though, even for those like me who can't, or don't, enjoy them any more

7. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (183) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Seems like YOU just gave that dead horse a good beating.....Now back off us old bitter folks & get off my lawn!:angry::wink:

8. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,533) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Minus SN Oktoberfest but plus for addition of Sam Adams Festbier. Really nice beer. Best new beer I’ve had from Sam Adams in maybe 7-10 years. There is hope.

9. MaltyFlannel

MaltyFlannel Initiate (53) Oct 30, 2020 Iowa

disappointing. We started getting Founders Oktoberfest distro'd here this year which makes up for it I guess

10. keithmurray

keithmurray Poo-Bah (1,793) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

You can see the writing on the wall, they are prepping for that corporate takeover/merger. We've seen this movie before and know the ending. Completely dismembering their lineup and replacing it with beers along the IPA spectrum....it's disappointing to see.

11. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (589) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

If ya can't beatem...joinem! We're all on your lawn now!

You think the family is tired of arguing by now and they're just gonna sell?

12. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,812) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

When I think of Sierra Nevada, I think of them as the largest "hoppy brewery" in the country. By far, even. That's been my impression of them since the 90's. Yes, I know they make plenty of other killer stuff, but that's where my mind immediately goes. Right now feels like a pretty amazing time to have a reputation like that, no? They're probably just doubling down on it. Plus, I'm never convinced about the viability of most Oktoberfest offerings. Everyone gets super excited for them for a few weeks and then interest falls off a cliff. A "juicy IPA" (which is currently about as trendy as things get) should be a viable option for longer. I'm not saying it won't be missed or it wasn't terrific, but this makes sense IMO.

13. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,405) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

I loved that first label so much. The newer one, especially with the shrunk down size, just doesn't give me the same warm and fuzzies.

14. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (748) Mar 28, 2009 California

The last few years their Oktoberfest have been ok. I just had Liquid Hoppiness and between the two I prefer the ipa. If SN was still doing their Oktoberfest collabs then I would prefer that beer.

actually what I would want the most is for them to brew their Vienna lager again.

15. bsp77

Society

Very much agreed.

Okto collabs / Vienna Lager > Liquid Hoppiness > solo Oktos

16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Crusader (741) Mar 19, 2012 California

Just got this email from SN:

September surprise: Oktoberfest beer is back
    It’s exclusively online this year, so add our Märzen-style lager to your cart and we’ll ship the party right to your door. Brewery locals: Chico Gift Shop has it today, Mills River stocks it tomorrow.

You raved about the ’21 recipe, so rejoice in its return. German malts pack the aroma with honey and biscuity bread, followed by flavors of caramel and graham cracker. Smooth and balanced, Oktoberfest is here to celebrate.

17. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,979) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

But when you think "juicy IPA" do you think Sierra Nevada? I think of my local brewery. Especially breweries like Tree House, Trillium, Other Half...etc. Even Alchemist, Hill Farmstead...

I agree, Sierra Nevada has always been the hoppy brewery. But that reputation was from beers like Pale Ale, Celebration, Bigfoot, Torpedo...etc.

To be fair, my knee jerk reaction is, "Do all these hazy IPAs cannibalize the sales of one another for Sierra Nevada? How does your average Joe craft beer consumer pick between Liquid Hoppiness and Hazy Little Thing? Do they even notice they're different?"

But then I think, "Well I could say the same about beers like Pale Ale and Celebration, and Celebration is still a best seller for them."

18. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (3,330) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

Yeah - only if you live in one of these states:

CA, DC, KY, NC, ND, NE, NH, OH, PA, VA, VT

*Some beers may be limited to fewer states

I'm not into all the different Little/BigThings and Liquid Hoppiness is one of their worst efforts yet, that's one they should axe.

For some reason, their distribution to MA is pretty limited as far as I can tell - All the "Things". Torpedo/Atomic Torpedo, Pale Ale, Liquid Hoppiness, Powder Day, Dankful, and Celebration.

Anything else you really have to search for it, at least in my area of Central MA. And finding it fresh is difficult as well.

19. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,812) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I think living in New England your local juicy IPA options are a little more plentiful than in most of the country. Pretty sure the folks in San Diego aren't buying up all Torpedo, but the folks in Phoenix, Dallas, Little Rock, etc. might be. I know for a fact that the Voodoo Ranger line has made New Belgium a killing and a lot of that is selling to markets that aren't as saturated with options.

20. Providence

Providence Champion (822) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Bummer. I know there are better oktoberfests out there, but I liked the variation the SN version brought. It was cool to hear about with whom they were collaborating and to see how the beer changed over years.

21. purephase

purephase Initiate (174) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

I'd imagine bringing back last year's largely panned (on here) recipe instead of a new one would quell some of the gnashing of teeth about the beer dropping out of distribution, but then again I also thought the increasingly negative receptions to the last 3 versions of it would have prevented all of that angst in the first place.

22. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (748) Mar 28, 2009 California

worst effort in regards to making a hazy/juicy ipa? Or just ipa in general?

LarryV likes this.
  23. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (3,330) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

Both - it basically has no character at all. Like an anemic juicy IPA and a subpar IPA. IMHO it's basically flavorless and about as neutral as a beer can be.

BrewsOverHoes and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  24. steveh

Society

They had said it would be available like this, same as the Summerfest, but only limited availability -- and crazy shipping costs.

Once again, much talked about here:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/sierra-nevada-changes-rumors-news-2022.667779/

25. Hoos78

Hoos78 Disciple (304) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

This was the one…IMHO

[​IMG]

jgido759, Spikester, Tilley4 and 13 others like this.
  26. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Champion (894) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Trader

That one and the Weihenstephaner were my favorites. I thought last year’s was still very good. I’m definitely going to swing by the Mills River location when we are in Asheville in a couple weeks.

27. bsp77

Society

And I actually like it. I have noticed that the first sips aren't as strong, maybe being too cold hurts this IPA more than most?

28. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,798) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Those have been over for a while. The last year of the collaborations was 2019.

29. dewski312

dewski312 Initiate (125) May 2, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Get ready for "A Hazy Little Christmas" :slight_frown:

#29 dewski312, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    John1985, pjeagles, beer_beer and 4 others like this.
  30. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Poo-Bah (1,579) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

You shut your mouth. Don’t speak that into existence!!! :wink::stuck_out_tongue:

31. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,979) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Yeah that's true.

When I went to Portland, OR earlier this year I would say the West Coast IPA far outnumbered the New England IPA.

Then again, I just went to DC last month with juice factories like Other Half and Aslin doing well.

"A Christmas in New England"

Bitterbill likes this.
  32. dele

dele Initiate (114) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

You'll have to pardon me for not getting excited about the prospect of paying $48 to get 12 of these beers (if I even lived in a state they'd ship to) when last year I could get that 12 pack a mile away for $15.

If they think offering to ship people these great beers they jettisoned for 3x their previous cost is going to preserve some of the goodwill they've lost by ditching them in the first place, they couldn't be more wrong.

The Oktoberfest I can live without, but I'm still pretty grumpy about the loss of Summerfest, Stout, Tumbler, and the seasonal variety packs and the great beers they contained (Ruthless Rye, Vienna, etc.).

#32 dele, Sep 2, 2022
  33. Providence

Providence Champion (822) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

There was a piece of me that was hoping they’d bring it back post the-shit-part-of-Covid.

34. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (788) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

There are still plenty of marzens to choose from this time of year. Really looking forward to trying this.

35. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (451) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Just another reason I no longer drink Sierra Nevada anymore.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  36. DCH

DCH Disciple (310) Jun 12, 2013 New York

It makes sense for them to drop the marzen, they always had to collaborate with another brewery to make a quality one anyway. Last time I had one that was brewed solely by SN it tasted like an earthy mess.

37. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (245) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

I don't even want to see jokes about this, I would be devastated

38. steveh

Society

Eons. It's more "classic" than their Oktoberest, by far.

39. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Champion (894) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Trader

I can’t get past the $24 for a 12 pack pricing even if shipping were free. With shipping and tax the price for me in NC would be $52.32!

Mighty_Thor likes this.
  40. pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo Initiate (110) Oct 25, 2010 California

Didn't Tumbler and Ruthless Rye get essentially replaced by the Oktoberfest?

Or was that Fearless Red IPA or whatever?

It is funny to me that Sierra Nevada is getting criticized for being on the IPA train when they release like 30 different IPAs every year since like 2006. Hop Hunter, Hoptimum, Hop Bullet, Sidecar, Golden IPA, Ruthless Rye was an IPA, Hoppy Lager,Anniversary IPA etc.

Like people act like Sierra's Oktoberfest was some legacy beer. It isn't even 10 years old. And there were always cases of it everywhere sitting around until December.

#40 pixiesfanyo, Sep 2, 2022
    deanzaZZR, RobertB412 and purephase like this.