Sierra Nevada Celebration (2020)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by surfcaster, Oct 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,526) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I have no problem with SN dates. Sierra is always under 2 months at wegmans around me, they move stock quickly. That being said I think 9/29 for a national distro beer is more thank Ok with me. Just my opinion and taste maybe, I don’t know. Mine our 9/29 too and I will be buying more, same date I’m sure, and drinking them through or at least up to December with zero complaints.

I think you agree... :slight_smile::beers:

2. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Had another one last night. The floral aroma is awesome. Such a well done beer that others just can’t do.

Not just Celebration, but the more I drink SN beers the more I realize how much their stuff stands out above the rest.

Pale Ale is literally the definition of American craft beer, IMO.

Mojo, EnronCFO, DrStiffington and 7 others like this.
  3. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,996) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Damn, crazy head on that one. Nice!

Bitterbill and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  4. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,403) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Trader

Bought my yearly sixtel keg of it on Monday and had a few. Awesome as always, in fact I think this years is even more drinkable....if that's possible at 6.8%. Great beer every year that I really look forward too and of course the start of the holiday season.

5. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Defender (606) Nov 18, 2008 New York

Purchased a 6 pack of this years version, and did not care for it at all. Disappointed. Too bitter, and the hop and malt profiles were exaggerated. As if they were trying very hard to bring out the flavors. This was not a good beer. Ten years ago, it was terrific. The last 3-4 years.... hyped to no end.

ESHBG likes this.
  6. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (754) Mar 28, 2009 California

SN beers always seem to produce great head.

Bitterbill and AlcahueteJ like this.
  7. GetMeAnIPA

If I recall correctly seems like the later batches are fresher. Right now I see 10/9 but the next batch or two usually hit stores a bit quicker. Maybe stores/distributors or trying to get their summer/fall beers out before stocking winter beers.

with that being said SN beers always hold up great. I have no hesitation buying SN beers a month old.

8. DCH

DCH Disciple (315) Jun 12, 2013 New York

Strangely enough, I have not seen this beer in the LI NY area yet... am I missing something? This time last year there was already a plethora... every time I walked into a distro there would be 12 packs just sitting there.

9. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,526) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

maybe stores are holding back trying to move last of fall stuff. I know my store does this so I had to ask and they happily grabbed me some from the back.

Bitterbill, AlcahueteJ and DCH like this.
  10. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,685) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

So the oldest vintage Celebration I had duplicates for was 2010 -- 10 years, not bad. I have older, but only singles.

Obvious carb release when capped. Poured identical to 2020 with possibly a bigger, denser head. After I snapped some shots (to come) I drained the rest of the bottle that was full of sediment.

Very vinous and earthy to oxidized nose. Same earthiness and somewhat toffee-like flavor with light citrus -- but turns quickly to sharp, spicy, bitter hop character. Finish is light toffee and oxidation and aftertaste is very bitter hops.

The head holds up for the duration of the pint and leaves great lacing.

Pretty amazing how strong the hops are after 10 years, but the vinous, oxidation tells me 10 years might be beyond the range for Celebration.

11. DCH

It's funny, I went into a total wine the other day and saw a bunch of winter warmers and seasonals from other breweries - nothing from SN except Pale Ale and Torpedo (haven't seen their Oktoberfest on shelves in some time)... would of thought that Celebration would have been fully stocked at this point.

I guessed at the time that they either had sold out or had a delayed shipment, it's just strange that I haven't seen this beer at all yet, even at a few different distro spots there's still nothing. Usually this isn't a beer that I would have to hunt for.

ChicagoJ and jonphisher like this.
  12. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

So in NC it has made the rounds. Just got back from surf fishing on Ocracoke Island--perhaps the most remote and most difficult place to reach in NC (8-9 hours from Charlotte with a state run ferry required).

Celebration 2020 was on the shelf in the local Variety Store.

Having one and watching the sunset over the Pamlico sound/southeast end of Ocracoke was just the best! The same solid brew it always has been.

13. Etriganthedemon

Etriganthedemon Initiate (28) Oct 12, 2019 New York

14. Etriganthedemon

Hello. TW in Westbury has had 12pks for at least 2wks, I was there Yesterday and they had plenty on the shelf.

DCH likes this.
  15. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,996) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Well what are you waitin’ for? :grin:

Bitterbill likes this.
  16. steveh

Society

Wadda ya mean? Wasn't one vintage this afternoon good enough?

AlcahueteJ and Bitterbill like this.
  17. steveh

Society

As promised...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I should have snapped the lacing after my first swallow, but I was focused on tasting and kept gulping.

surfcaster, FLBeerGuy, Reef and 9 others like this.
  18. DCH

Looks like I have to make a return trip soon, must have been really bad timing or maybe I just completely missed it...

19. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,523) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Opened my first 2 today.. as always, a terrific seasonal...just as good as the first one I ever had

AlcahueteJ and Bitterbill like this.
  20. TNCraftBeer

TNCraftBeer Initiate (176) Oct 7, 2014 Tennessee
    Trader

That label is incredible

21. hillind

hillind Aspirant (289) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I agree. Wish they would go back to the labels with the large scenic window.

22. Etriganthedemon

12pks @ $15.99 - 1st pk was 09/29 bottling / 2nd was 10/12. Both dates were still on the shelf on Thurs. They had none that were refrigerated.

AlcahueteJ and DCH like this.
  23. steveh

Society

If @AlcahueteJ donates to the cause, you may get to see the '05 label too! :grin:

24. DCH

Was it in the seasonal aisle/section or was it in the bulk aisle to the left of it? Can’t believe I didn’t see it:no_mouth:

25. Etriganthedemon

1st aisle on the far left - against the wall, directly opposite where They store the Yuengling/MHL/ML etc.

DCH likes this.
  26. defunksta

defunksta Poo-Bah (2,150) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Tonight's Beer Tasting lineup get's darker for the season:

1) Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss, a Kristallweizen, similar to a hefeweizen, but pale malts with mild wheat and weaker phenolic flavors. Drinks similar to a Miller High Life.

2) Bahaus' Wonderstuff, a Czech-style Pils from Minnesota that mixes a Czech Pils between an American lemon wheat. Bready, but with a lemon sweetness

3) Odell's Cryo IPA: This IPA from Odell uses hop pellets that are frozen with liquid nitrogen and concentrated to bring extra-hoppiness. It honestly tastes like a lemon, pineapple, coconut IPA that is mild.

4) Odell IPA: The standard Odell IPA. Mine was old and this one drank extremely resinous and sweet. But usually this is a well-balanced IPA

5) Bell's Best Brown Ale: An American Brown ale with light and smooth flavors of milk chocolate, cream, caramel. Only a faint citrus and roasty quality. Mostly malty, but light here.

6) Maduro Brown Ale from Cigar City: An English Brown Ale with flavors of dry-roasted cocoa, espresso with faint molasses and toffee underneath. Slightly smokey. Would definitely pair well with a cigar.

Winner: Maduro Brown Ale from Cigar City: First time trying this one. An excellent beer, but doesn't strike me as an English Brown. More like an English Porter. Deliciously and well-balanced cocoa, espresso with a mild lingering astringency as it leans dry. Well-crafted, but drinks more like an English Porter.

Have you had the Maduro and what did you think? Or any of the others and agree with the ratings?

ChicagoJ and Bitterbill like this.
  27. steveh

Society

You click the wrong thread? See no Celebration. :grin:

28. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Too many beers . . .

defunksta and Bitterbill like this.
  29. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,807) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Onto my second six pack and I fully agree with @Kadonny with how drinkable this years version is. Goes down so smooth and quick.

30. defunksta

defunksta Poo-Bah (2,150) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

Thank you, wrong thread. Will delete.

31. steveh

Society

Copy it first!! :astonished::wink:

32. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

See, that's where we differ. I'd be very hesitant.

"SN bottled this month? WTF happened to me? Did I somehow lose a year, and it is 2021? Or maybe I've been transported into some sort of alternative universe or maybe I'm just hallucinating?" :grin:

#392 jesskidden, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  33. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Defender (602) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

If it’s in a cooler, I’ll buy 3 month old SNPA, Torpedo, or Celebration to have around the house. Won’t be in peak condition most likely but it’s still going to be among the best 12 beers I can get for $15 or so.

34. GetMeAnIPA

I am not sure I get your quote. Are you joking? Are you really concerned about a month old ipa?

Bitterbill likes this.
  35. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I reckon that it means New Jersey never sees SN beers that fresh.

36. GetMeAnIPA

copy. Completely missed that.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  37. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,402) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I was pretty surprised when I went to the beer store last weekend and the freshest/only Celebration they had was bottled 9/26. I like sipping these around the Christmas season and hell by christmas they will be 3 months old. Now I don’t think it’s as big a deal for Celebration to have a few months on it due to its flavor profile, but I do still think it’s best as fresh as possible.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  38. KentT

KentT Aspirant (252) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

That said, I agree highly. I like Highlands beers and have since they were in business. Always well made, to style, and consistently good. I love Sierra Nevada, and one of my favorites for many years. Celebration is a winter favorite.

39. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Crusader (730) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

I have bottles of that batch and it's still drinking very fine. Back in the day people use to think Celebration Ale was was brewed with spices and for what ever reason people use to age this beer and do year by year comparisons. You can still find many on youtube such as:

Genuine and AlcahueteJ like this.
  40. steveh

Society

Drinking the last bottle from my six-pack, bottled in October.

Seems just a little more mellow on the hops, malts making themselves known.

What's the word I'm looking for..?

Oh yeah, delicious. :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.