Sierra Nevada Celebration (2020)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by surfcaster, Oct 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (179) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

My wife will tell you same thing. OOOOOOOOOOH ill be here all night. (no really she loves celebration and torpedo). moving on......

2. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (754) Mar 28, 2009 California

lucky you!! Win/win

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  3. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (454) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm drinking my second bottle of the season, bottled on 09/25. I do have to say that some age on the beer makes it a little more enjoyable to me, the hops are still there but the malts really come through and it rolls across the palate in a nice fashion.

I'll have to keep an eye out for a fresher bottle to see if I can do a side by side sometime.

ChicagoJ, steveh, AlcahueteJ and 4 others like this.
  4. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,817) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I've been a broken record about this, but I've always attributed that to the bottles often having the year put on them as part of the packaging design. Same thing with Anchor's holiday beer. Thanks to wine, people tend to automatically think of such things as vintages and then they automatically feel the need to age and compare. The label date=vintage psychological phenomenon reached it's twisted apotheosis with Stone Enjoy By. Since that was obviously a "best by" date, consumers wouldn't react by aging the beers, so they acted like that IPA was subject to greater batch variation than other IPAs instead. :slight_smile:

5. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,194) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I took a 3 week break at the beginning of this month and am just now getting to my first celebrations of the year. Its great. In the few days I've been back ipas havent really resonated with me, but I'm still enjoying this one. I definitely get the assertive pine and some.floral flavors. I can't smell a damn thing (might have the rona, our roommate tested positive about a week ago, but I'm also plagued by chronic sinus issues and tis my season) so I can't comment on aroma. But to me its a wonderful classic IPA. I'll probably buy one more 12 pack before it disappears

6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Kind of in the same boat, my sinus problem make any kind of nosing near impossible. But this is seriously a great ipa, it’s not too much of anything making the drinkability outstanding. If it’s too bitter it it wears on the palate, too much malt and I pour it out. SN hit a real HR on this beer, perfectly executed. Right now this is very easily the best beer on the shelf here right now, combined I’ve went thru a case so far.

Bitterbill, ChicagoJ, Tilley4 and 2 others like this.
  7. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (84) Nov 5, 2018 New York

Just had my first one of the season (it was the last six pack of Celebration at the grocery store).

Heavenly!!!

8. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Tilley4, surfcaster, Mojo and 9 others like this.
  9. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (244) Jan 8, 2015 California

Nice! I choose the Celebration and SN Porter combo last week.

10. Hoos78

Hoos78 Disciple (305) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

This beer is an absolute treasure...again. I would be 100% satisfied only drinking this from early Nov through February. Not that I will do that, but I would not feel slighted if I had to :wink:.

I know some feel it is overrated, to each their own. I think it may be the most nuanced, complex, interesting IPA I’ve had.

#411 Hoos78, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well, it is not Juicy/Hazy so....
    It is indeed a high quality 'old school' IPA IMO.

Have you tried their new 'old school' IPA: Dankful IPA? I am a big fan of this beer too. I sincerely hope that Dankful IPA will sell well for Sierra Nevada such that they will not discontinue this beer 1+ years from now. Over the past couple/few years (since Jeff White became the CEO?) the Sierra Nevada portfolio has been constantly changing (e.g., discontinuing Nooner, etc.). I very, very much hope that Celebration does not get discontinued.

Cheers!

12. Hoos78

Hoos78 Disciple (305) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

I’ve not had Dankful yet, but look forward to trying it because it sounds fantastic.

I just can’t think of another IPA that gets close to the flavor profile of Celebration and it’s “rose” hop character. Couple that with the notable malt and an additional citrus bite and it scratches every itch for me. Desert island beer for sure...

13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Last spring I discussed Evolution Lot No. 3 IPA in a NBS thread:

[​IMG]

I commented:

"Not from the specific hop aroma/flavor perspective but from a balance of hops and malt flavors this beer is reminiscent to me of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. I am also a fan of Celebration."

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-795.639827/

Cheers!

P.S. FWIW I personally did not pick up much "rose" in the 12-pack of Celebration I purchased this year but a few years ago the rose aspect was quite prominent and enjoyable for me.

Bitterbill likes this.
  14. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Good choice. I was back and forth between the porter and the stout but the porter is much more accessible to me. My beer fridge is badly over stuffed at the moment too, I didn't really need either

jakecattleco and Bitterbill like this.
  15. deanzaZZR

My local Safeway usually has the Porter and sometimes has the Stout. I don't know if that's by chance or design? Having the Porter made me desire the Stout but the closest store is 10 miles away.

16. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Poo-Bah (1,814) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I will be returning to NC in a week's time, hopefully I'll find this on tap in a restaurant with some great food as I did last year.

surfcaster likes this.
  17. deanzaZZR

Celebration Ale is especially delightful on tap. It's been a few years but I saw today that the burger joint within walking distance has it on tap. I'll be there Friday afternoon.

18. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Poo-Bah (1,814) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Why wait until Friday? They might run out!
    Oh no!

jakecattleco and deanzaZZR like this.
  19. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

A good burger and Celebration. That fires on all cylinders. As a side--one of the better IPAs with food.

I enjoy Celebration every year while putting up the tree which our family will do this Friday. With a nice chill in the air, it makes me want to be in that cozy cabin on the label having a Celebration.

jakecattleco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.