Sierra Nevada Celebration (2021)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by carolinabeerguy, Oct 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (3,301) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

Already got this in NH.

I'm shocked, tbh. We always get the short end of the stick when it comes to distribution.

2. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (478) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

Holy cow, that was quick! Still nothing I can find around me in my neck of the woods in CT.

mikeinportc likes this.
  3. eagles22

eagles22 Devotee (452) Sep 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I totally agree and I'm glad its a seasonal cause for me.its something that I look forward every year and actually get excited around this year to see it on the shelves. Nice old school IPA and they are not common anymore

ratgirlagogo, Rug, AlcahueteJ and 3 others like this.
  4. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (184) Mar 14, 2007 California

We actually removed "can conditioned" right before registration... There is two camps, traditional bottle/can conditioning and those that really love the draught version. We have know that the bottle conditioning process will mute the hop character but is also plays a part in the flavor profile and it does provide an added window of freshness by having live yeast.

That said, we plan on packaging a very small run (10 bbl) at the end of the year with can vs. tank conditioned for internal preference testing and other R&D testing. I still wouldn't be convinced we would change for next year even if the tank conditioned won out.

By removing "can conditioned" gave us the option... And to tell the truth, outside of the BA and true beer aficionados, no one knows what that means.

Scotchboy, shand, readyski and 15 others like this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,828) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

But you still list (i.e., have not removed the verbiage) of "Can Conditioned" on the cans of SNPA. Is it likely that in the future your will change your SNPA cans?
    Terence, can you please expound upon this topic? Why does the bottle/can conditioning process impact (i.e., mute) hop character? Is the impact to intensity of hop aroma?
    Have the brewing scientists at Sierra Nevada quantified this increased beer stability? A 'standard' best by duration for Sierra Nevada beers is something like 150 days. In contrast, how long are your bottle/conditioned beers 'good' for? Is it something like 180 days?
    From a production/throughput perspective does tank conditioning have benefits? For example, is the timeframe from brew date to shipping less for a tank conditioned product?

Cheers!

6. SierraTerence

I don't think we would change SNPA, it is a point of differentiation with our PA vs. competitors and it does allow for some explanation and education to those that are curious. Celebration is about the "Fresh Hop" character

Bottle conditioning produces a more pronounced ester profile that will compete with some of the hop aromas... It's not huge, but it is noticeable when you're doing side-by-sides between draught and bottle/cans on a weekly basis. And yes, more hop character!!!

Most of our beers are in the 150 day pull window. When kept in ideal conditions (38F - dark) our beers will maintain freshness... Depending on the brand, we don't see a huge difference up to 90 days but we start seeing a decline as we get closer to the 120 -150 date ranges. There is a lot of factors that can throw off individual packaging runs that might happen before the beer is even packaged... We have a sensory process where we look at brands by "Age, Rank and Rate" and on occasion we will see an anomaly. Example: a 4 month old beer will show much more age than a 5 month old beer and at that point we will dive deeper to see what might have caused that issue. We will look at anything from raw materials, equipment failure, fermentation profile, yeast management, packaging issues, etc.

Well, for Celebration... the bottle conditioning takes 2 weeks after packaging, so there is that. Brewing and fermentation are not affected... In theory, you would be getting "tank conditioned" cans the first week of October... which could increase our sales by two weeks. :slight_smile:

Scotchboy, Rug, bret27 and 8 others like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

Society

Terence, just to confirm: that increased ester profile is from the secondary fermentation (bottle conditioning)?
    To re-ask: do your bottle/can conditioned beers stay 'good' for > 150 days? If so, how much longer?
    And I wonder if the benefit of a shorter production time may prompt a decision to change the method for producing Celebration from being can conditioned (which isn't even listed on the packaging) to being tank conditioned instead. In the business world time = money.

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  8. SierraTerence

Yes, bottle conditioning adds more fruity esters.

Depends on the beer... If you look at our brands, higher the alcohol, the longer they last. I would say the bottle conditioning plays a part in the early phases of freshness, but past 150 days the bottle/can conditioning is done and normal aging and oxidation will take place. I would state that the BC retards the aging process by 30-45 days... My opinion.

Beer quality/Flavor profile will be first in our decisions.

Rug, AlcahueteJ, GuyFawkes and 7 others like this.
  9. JackHorzempa

Society

FWIW that is basically the same for my homebrewed bottle conditoned beers. A 'standard' ale/lager will be tasty for about 6+ months and then it will start to develop a muddled flavor profile thereafter.

When it comes to homebrewed hoppy beers (e.g., IPAs, DIPAs) I make it a point to consume those beers within 90 days of the bottling date. Those beers are still quite tasty in the 4-5 month timeframe but the hop aroma is notably diminished and in that sense a less desirable condition.

Cheers!

10. JackHorzempa

Society

I am very, very happy as a consumer to hear that.

Cheers to you and the Sierra Nevada brewing decision team!!!!!

Rug, GuyFawkes, jakecattleco and 2 others like this.
  11. Kb024

Kb024 Initiate (156) Jun 11, 2015 California
    Trader

Last year I got 12 pk of Celebration in San Diego like 5 days after bottling around Oct 22

12. Kb024

Kb024 Initiate (156) Jun 11, 2015 California
    Trader

Yea you bastards got me with the spice trick when I was a noob. Plot twist... I'm buying all the 12 packs before they even hit your region.

Scotchboy, fehrminator, Rug and 7 others like this.
  13. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (244) Jan 8, 2015 California

How is that possible when we are told Celebration is bottle conditioned for 2 weeks before shipping out?

14. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Defender (651) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Maybe my favorite year thread. Time for me to visit the Sierra Nevada beer locator and refresh daily for the next 2 weeks!

carolinabeerguy likes this.
  15. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,544) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, there's been a handful of trolling "spice" comments in this thread, yet no one bit. Maybe it's time to retire it for awhile?
    (Mods used to have to delete them IIRC.)

Rug, PapaGoose03 and Bitterbill like this.
  16. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (454) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

So to clarify can conditioned was removed to have the option but this release is can conditioned (at least for now)?

eagles22, hillind and Bitterbill like this.
  17. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,195) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

That appears to be the situation. With the future of can conditioning in canned celebration riding on sensory tests to be conducted by Sierra Nevadas internal QA team this year

Rug, sharpski, jakecattleco and 3 others like this.
  18. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (3,539) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Abita's Christmas Ale is similar. I remember purchasing the beer from a young cashier who showed interest in buying it also, who thought it might be spiced. It can be difficult to explain how a beer can be special or have a unique flavor without adding spice, especially when a seasonal name is associated with it. I think this is where tastings really shine.

In any event I'm still waiting for Celebration to show up on shelves. I would expect that the stores already have it but are trying to clear out the Oktoberfests and pumpkin beers first. Most have put up Christmas trees already. I'll gladly buy the best of both seasons.

Rug likes this.
  19. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,195) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

No sign of celebration in my neck of the woods. The odd thing is, none of the stores I checked still had the Oktoberfest on the shelf either. Maybe our distributor hasn't gotten it yet? Maybe the distributor has more Oktoberfest they want to clear out first?

bret27 likes this.
  20. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Meyvn (1,214) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Society Trader

The Sierra Nevada beer locator failed me 3 times today. None of the 3 locations I checked had Celebration yet. Hopefully soon!

21. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,686) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Someone had another, more accurate beer finder for SN beers during Oktoberfest time -- hopefully someone has a bookmark.

22. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (754) Mar 28, 2009 California

Been wanting to try those recipe as I LOVE the tap room torpedo beer cheese at the brewery. Used some celebration since and turned out amazing! Recommend using the SN torpedo beer cheese to everyone!

[​IMG]

final product:
    [​IMG]

The weather turned here in So Cal and celebration hits the spot on a rainy day.
    [​IMG]

23. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Poo-Bah (1,909) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

Just saw it in Vestal, NY (the outskirts of Bingladesh :wink:) tonight. I was surprised. Judging by what I see here on BA, & other social media, we're usually one of the last places things show up, if at all. (No Enjoy By 10/31/21 , for ex. :confused:)
    I gave it a pass, for now, as (Is this possible? :astonished::thinking_face:) I probably have too much beer, atm.

officerbill likes this.
  24. turfy

turfy Disciple (379) Mar 17, 2010 Texas
    Trader

I learned my lesson last year. Purchased Celebration a 6 pack at a time and then found empty shelves closer to the holidays. First sighting will result in six 6 packs in the cart.

deanzaZZR, jesskidden and tolar111 like this.
  25. Genuine

I usually order a sixtel or two over the course of the season, and multiple 12 packs. I have a few more fall beers to go through this weekend and I’m hoping to find some Celebration so I can have my first one of the season on November 1st!

26. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,523) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Usually pretty late showing up here... the first time I see it I will buy at least a case...

27. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,869) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

90 miles from Chico and was told it just arrived at local distributors end of last week, and should be on shelves end of this week. I'm more than ready.

AlcahueteJ and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  28. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Meyvn (1,214) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Hopefully we can track down that link.

EDIT: Here it is. No locations within 50 miles from me except for 2 chain Mexican restaurants.

https://finder.vtinfo.com/finder/web/v2/iframe?custID=SNB

#108 carolinabeerguy, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  29. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

30. steveh

Society

Maybe they fill growlers? :grin:

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  31. steveh

Society

Yah. 50 miles from me, only 2 places with it are Buffalo Wild Wings restaurants.

@carolinabeerguy -- and I'm in close proximity to Chicago, so distro is crawling.

And WTH? @SierraTerence -- inside deal with BWW?

Bitterbill and carolinabeerguy like this.
  32. Mikeloveshamms

Mikeloveshamms Initiate (34) May 9, 2021 Ohio

The Kroger’s in Westerville yesterday were putting out their first shipment of Celebration. I picked up a 6, canning date of 10/4

33. tolar111

tolar111 Meyvn (1,140) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

That's funny, the BWW near me shows up as having it too. I'll probably stop by today anyway since it's 2 for one wing day. Right now they have Hazey Little on draft.

Bitterbill likes this.
  34. Genuine

Funny you mention that....if you check some of the first Untappd check-in's for 2021 Celebration, there's photos of "Celebration" from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma BWW locations but it doesn't look like Celebration.....

Rug, Bitterbill and tolar111 like this.
  35. Bitterbill

Society

Well, I am here now and they lied!!! :slight_frown:

Edit: So I "settled" for an Odell IPA. Never disappoints.

36. steveh

Society

It's probably been delivered to their cooler, but they're waiting for tap space.

Or someone to call 'em out. :wink:

37. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (366) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

Found it yesterday at Total Wine in Natick Mass. Yippee! First taste now... Ummmm...

Rug, Genuine and AlcahueteJ like this.
  38. Bhubbard34

Bhubbard34 Defender (621) Mar 4, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

can or bottle? What does ummm mean?!?!!

39. Bitterbill

Society

Maybe. I am not a fan of BWW.
    To make matters worse, I am now at Old Chicago and the last keg of Weihenstephaner Festbier has kicked.

Rug, Genuine, AlcahueteJ and 3 others like this.
  40. steveh

Society

I'm sure you'll find something. I have faith in your abilities. :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.