Sierra Nevada Celebration (2021)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by carolinabeerguy, Oct 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tolar111

tolar111 Meyvn (1,140) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

I agree with @steveh it's probably in the back waiting for a line to open up or it's on the way there. What I see at my location is certain tap lines are corporate mandates and other lines are up to the local management. Since we're seeing Celebration at all locations I assume it will be eventually on draft nation wide. My location had Hazy Little on draft last time I was there and I have to assume it will be replaced with Celebration. I hope to get there tonight to find out and get 2 for 1 wings, which is a great deal.

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Yeah, Hazy is on tap at our BWW. I have to say that I'm not a big fan of it. Those who are, enjoy!

3. tolar111

Society Trader

I'm not a fan, especially when there are better or cheaper (Wild Herd) options. The fact that you also have Hazy on draft almost confims my suspicion that SN will show up as a corporate choice.

Bitterbill likes this.
  4. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (366) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

6/12oz cans - $9. Guess I meant 'Yummm'!

5. tolar111

Society Trader

I'm at BWW and just like @Bitterbill my location has Hazy Little on tap right now. I spoke to one of the managers and he couldn't confirm, but he said my thoughs sounded right based on what he has seen on the tap lines. I'm on my 2nd $3 Wild Herd. I'll let someone else kill the Hazy Little Stupid Name keg

Bitterbill likes this.
  6. tolar111

Society Trader

The GM showed up while I was at BWW. He said that they recieved a keg of Celebration last Thursday. It is a corporate thing and they are waiting for the word from them to tap it, prob Thursday or Friday. Local hero Ian Anderson pitches for the Braves in game three so I hope the tap it then.

7. Skabiski

Skabiski Crusader (715) Feb 2, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Celebration hit Maryland yesterday. Canned 10-1-21. $8.49 a sixer, I was surprised to see this at Food Lion before it is available at local beer/liquor stores.

MrOH, AlcahueteJ, Genuine and 2 others like this.
  8. purephase

purephase Initiate (174) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

Has anyone seen dates on the six-pack boxes themselves for this year's release? I'm rarely concerned about freshness with Celebration as I'm almost always happy to drink it regardless but I was still a bit annoyed being unable to find any on the exterior package when I picked up my six-pack (my cans were 10/1 like above). I feel like this isn't the first time I've had this issue and may have encountered it before with Torpedo or Dankful's can boxes as well.

9. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (752) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I just picked up a six pack box of cans in Hartford County, box clearly marked with 10/4 date, same with cans. No complaints here. Just the opposite, this is one of my favorite days of the year.

10. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,437) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

Any Florida sightings?

11. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (360) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's hit western Massachusetts. A local verified untappd venue listed it yesterday.

AlcahueteJ and Rug like this.
  12. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (2,234) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Probably because BWW is nasty and doesn't clean their tap lines :nauseated_face: At least the one in my town/one I used to work at

tolar111 likes this.
  13. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I'll keep a look out then.

In other news, my beer gal at Liquor Shed said that cans should be in Friday. :slight_smile:

AlcahueteJ and tolar111 like this.
  14. tolar111

Society Trader

Actually, my location several years ago had really nasty tap lines to the point where I wouldn't order a draft regardless of how good or cheap it was. Around 2015 they along with most of the bars in this area went to certified clean tap lines or whatever they call it, and it made a world of difference. Now the draft beer there is as good as any dedicated craft beer bar that I go to. With regard to my local, I would rate it as excellent. There is very little staff turnover, the place is clean and the food is good for what it is.

pbrian and Rug like this.
  15. Obsidian81

Obsidian81 Initiate (71) Mar 3, 2016 Illinois

Still no sign of it here, hopefully next week. It’s not a sure thing, though, because the Hy-Vee here is under different management, and they don’t seem interested in stocking any SN product, other than SNPA, that doesn’t have “Little Thing,” “tropical” or “hazy” on its label. We missed out entirely on Narwhal this year.

16. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (244) Jan 8, 2015 California

Still no cans within 100 miles which is just odd. Maybe the NC brewery shipping out earlier.

17. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Poo-Bah (1,614) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Haven't seen Celebration in Hennepin Co. MN as of yet but I did see Bell's Xmas 7.5% barley wine. Nope. Waitin' for Sierra!

tolar111 likes this.
  18. o29

o29 Devotee (462) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

Good afternoon BA!

I made a quick beer run today, and despite being told by SA's beer tracker that there is no Celebration available within a 10 mile radius of me, I was both excited and surprised to find a 6 pack in the store's cooler.

I decided to conduct an impromptu experiment since this is the first year Celebration is primarily being canned. I was curious since @zid had done some great independent research in the past here around head formation and retention in SA's cans vs bottles, and like his posts, mine is in no way intended to be a definitive guide but instead just a fun personal experiment.

I vigorously poured the can into a Teku glass to get as much of a foam head as possible. It seems that head formation at least has no problems here, as if anything I had to slow my pour down to not get too much foam.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how much more I could've expected out of head formation as it looked excellent.

Then the fun (or not fun since I wasn't actually consuming any beer yet) part began!

I tried to take pictures in even intervals after, but unfortunately got distracted and didn't make it back to snap the first picture until +6 minutes after pour. At this point the head had dissipated some and was beginning to go down but still looked pretty rocky and lively.

[​IMG]

Now 7 minutes in, we can begin to see the top of the beer itself poke its head out as the center continues to collapse.

[​IMG]

8 minutes in and we can now definitely see the top of the beer. Some decent foam lingers around the edges of the glass however.

[​IMG]

9 minutes in and about 50% of the beer's surface area is now exposed. We're getting pretty close to dissipation at this point, though the sticky lacing around the edges of the glass is still hanging around.

[​IMG]

Finally 10 minutes in and we can still see foam lacing sticking to the corners, but everything in the center has dissipated. At this point it's more lacing than foam head, so I decided to call it as "dissipated."

[​IMG]

Now as I type this I'm a full 37 minutes out from the initial pour, and while the initial thick head did recede over about 10 minutes, the beer is still retaining a thin layer of foam around its edges and is showing impeccable lacing.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately this experiment was done in a vacuum so it's difficult to say whether this is any better/worse than Celebration in bottles. I will say though that the head fared better than I expected.

Now, time for me to actually enjoy this lovely seasonal! Cheers BA! :beers:

eagles22, turfy, fuzzbalz and 15 others like this.
  19. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (2,234) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

You're lucky then lol. My struggle is that while the food is reasonably priced for what it is, everything else lacks. Awful service & gross tap lines, nothing has changed in the nearly 5 years it's been since I left there

tolar111 and Bitterbill like this.
  20. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Aspirant (263) Jul 29, 2006 New Hampshire

Where did you find it? I can't find it right now in the upper valley...

21. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (754) Mar 28, 2009 California

I am just impressed you let it sit for 37 minutes without drinking it all.

22. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (3,301) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

North Conway.

23. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Meyvn (1,214) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Society Trader

The tracker is broken. Still shows nothing nearby. I found it today at Lowes Foods in Kernersville. It’s glorious.

AlcahueteJ, o29 and ben4unc like this.
  24. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,686) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

It's been pretty reliable in the past (more so than SN's Beer-finder), maybe just playing catch-up.

Genuine, o29 and carolinabeerguy like this.
  25. o29

o29 Devotee (462) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

LOL I assure you it was not an easy task! The sacrifices we make for scientific inquiry...

Cheers! :beers:

26. steveh

Society

You can't fool me, you had 5 more cans to choose from while watching the foam settle. :wink:

27. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (184) Mar 14, 2007 California

They didn't... Where you located in CA?
    From the looks of it, everyone should have it by now, although some might not have landed on docks until this past Monday.

Bitterbill and AlcahueteJ like this.
  28. tolar111

Society Trader

I was able to score 2 twelve packs today at my local supermarket. Dated 10/01/21.
    The location wasn't listed on any of the beer finders

[​IMG]

#148 tolar111, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  29. deanzaZZR

Near San Jose. SN beer finder is showing nothing but kegs locally.

30. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,917) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

As reported in this thread, it seems the Sierra Nevada beer finder might not be working correctly / being updated with store deliveries? Folks are not seeing any location results but are seeing it at actual stores. I know a couple places have received Celebration Ale the last day or so via social media updates but the beer finder is not reflecting these locations. I know typically the beer finder is updated fairly quickly on store deliveries (usually the next day even). Hopefully this gets rectified soon.

deanzaZZR, o29 and tolar111 like this.
  31. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,195) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

No sign of it in Humboldt County yet. I haven't searched everywhere but I've been into a number of stores and looked in the past week. The odd part is that there isn't any Oktoberfest sitting around either. Hoping to see it show its face by the weekend

32. JimKal

JimKal Zealot (542) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

I understand. The 6 months fresher was a July bottle date. And yes, it was good. I'm content if I can find SNPA 3 or 4 months old. 9 months is a bit of a stretch.

Still waiting for Celebration.

33. steveh

Society

Same here.

As to 9 month-old beer, much of that burden starts on the consumer not buying, then works its way to the distro not rotating stock -- maybe even the retailer not pointing out said old stock (though most retailers I've talked to are clueless about beer dating), but hardly falls on the brewery unless they're self-distributing.

Just my perspective.

JimKal and Bitterbill like this.
  34. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (478) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I just found some in Northeastern CT, picked up a 12 pack and ordered a Keg!

Rug, AlcahueteJ, deanzaZZR and 3 others like this.
  35. deanzaZZR

You are a lucky man. One of my best beer memories from a year ago was munching on a tasty burger on the patio of the local burger joint accompanied by a draft Celebration, such a perfect pair.

36. BlackBearForge

BlackBearForge Zealot (592) Nov 7, 2007 Florida

Just picked up my first 12 pack of Celebration at my Publix here in Tallahassee, Florida on Tuesday this week! Pleasantly surprised and glad to see it too. I was worried because this area was distributed absolutely no SN Oktoberfest that I ever found, first year that has happened. Very few O-fests from any brewers actually, thankfully Founders was plentiful.

jkrich and AlcahueteJ like this.
  37. beercat11

beercat11 Initiate (79) Jul 12, 2005 New York

Picked up a sixer of cans today in Joyzee for $10.99, I believe that's the most I ever paid for it where I go and they have had it at least the last 15 years for about a buck less. It's totally what it's always been again this year of course. Not noticing anything that makes it stand out from previous years. Conditioning in the bottle and the can are still in play according to SN, no reason to doubt it. I do recall years back when it was only in bottles that there was clearly some yeast sediment on the bottom, a fair amount in fact. I still get a kick out of the reviews that mention specific spice notes they find in this ale. Although there may be spice notes in the flavor, there are no spices added to this brew. The expectation of spices being in what's considered a 'winter warmer' seems to carry that assumption.

AlcahueteJ, Rug, ESHBG and 3 others like this.
  38. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,917) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Looks like the SN beer finder is back up and running. Seeing plenty of places now with Celebration Ale. Tomorrow will be a good day. :wink:

39. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,051) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

The TW has it for $31.99 a case of bottles out the door and they have Narwhal. Going to grab that and a 12 of cans $16.99. No six packs listed. Hope to have one on Halloween.

@JackHorzempa

Enjoy

#159 Giantspace, Oct 29, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    ESHBG, JackHorzempa and Genuine like this.
  40. deanzaZZR

Dang, the tech dude got it working. Now my local map is full of options.

AlcahueteJ, Genuine and Jaycase like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.