Sierra Nevada Fantastic Haze Imperial IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by purephase, Dec 11, 2019.

1. purephase

purephase Initiate (145) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

https://sierranevada.com/beer/fantastic-haze/

It looks like this is going to be joining the year-round lineup according to the picture and listing on Sierra Nevada's website. The hop bill of Chinook, Azacca, Amarillo, Idaho 7, and Strata looks pretty interesting to me.

2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,801) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I expect this will do well considering it looks like Little Hazy Thing has done really well for them. Ill definitely give it a try.

3. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (618) Mar 28, 2009 California

Just go all in on the new school hops SN. Forget the chinook, and Amarillo. Add in some mosaic, citra or whatever. Love that they are using strata though.

I love SN and have no doubt this will be good. I am just not sure why SN has to keep a few old school old in a hazy recipe. Costs maybe or they just like that flavor profile?

AWA likes this.
  4. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (55) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Oats in the malt bill, gross.

5. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (44) Dec 5, 2019

I am strictly avoiding beers that shamelessly star the word "haze" or "hazy"...not because I don't think I will enjoy it - but more because the word it just get right up in my shorts like a angry lobster

afterexile, John1985, rgordon and 2 others like this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,368) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Because people still can't get enough of hoppy beers I suppose.

Cheers!

DISKORD likes this.
  7. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,332) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

I realize the beer will be more important & looking forward to trying it but the label seems like a lazy hybrid of Hazy Little Thing and Sierraveza imo.

GuyFawkes and JackHorzempa like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,368) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I agree that the label does indeed look lazy. The new marketing aptitude of Sierra Nevada Brewing Co,?

Cheers!

GuyFawkes likes this.
  9. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Meyvn (1,017) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

I love pretty much everything Sierra Nevada does. Will drink.

rodbeermunch likes this.
  10. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (77) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

Ha, I love oats in the malt bill.

11. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (77) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

That's right! bring it on! I love Hazy Little Thing and all (most) things Sierra Nevada

12. thuey

thuey Aspirant (291) Nov 13, 2015 California

What's wrong with Amarillo? I've had some single hop Amarillo beers (Fieldwork's Orchard Street & St Monroe come to mind) that are bursting in tropical citrus hop flavor

13. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (98) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

If the strata crop is anything like the strata they put in their "stratafest" beer a while back, I'm all in. Strata in combination with other hops can do weird things though

rodbeermunch likes this.
  14. GetMeAnIPA

Nothing. I like Amarillo. Some of my favorite beers such as Just Outstanding and PtY use a lot of Amarillo. I also like chinook. I am just saying that the trend for hazy style ipas focus more on the new school tropical hops. I haven’t seen SN use a lot the new hops such as mosaic, galaxy etc. if a brewery is going to new a “New England” ipa why not go all in instead of half way.

I find Amarillo more citrus in flavor vs tropical.

nc41 and thuey like this.
  15. purephase

purephase Initiate (145) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

Personally the inclusion of Chinook and Amarillo in the hop bill makes me more excited. I'd be pretty indifferent to Sierra Nevada making the gazillionth Citra/Mosaic IPA on the shelf, whereas the hop bill on this one actually looks unique.

I think I'm also more likely to buy this than Hazy Little Thing if it's consistently available. That one always competes with Torpedo and the pale for my money, whereas the closest ABV competitor for Fantastic Haze in their catalog would be Hop Bullet, which is less immediately available around me (if it even returns as a year-round in 2020).

16. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (726) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Agreed,

Hop bill looks interesting!

I'll be giving this one a whirl.......

Cheers my friend.

rodbeermunch and lic217 like this.
  17. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,877) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I am curious as to the price point and will these be 4 packs due to ABV?

@SierraTerence would you have any info yet with regards to the pricing and if these are going to be 6 pack or 4 pack?

18. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (216) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This will be an auto cop the second I see it in a beer store, 9% whoof

PA-Michigander likes this.
  19. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,332) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

6 pks it seems.

[​IMG]

20. Hookstrat

Hookstrat Initiate (136) Jan 15, 2006 Iowa
    Trader

I guess it's time for me to hang it up, boys.

Amarillo is old school and orange is no longer a tropical fruit flavor.

Kraz, andylipp, BigJim5021 and 4 others like this.
  21. GetMeAnIPA

Sorry to see you go. Much love.

mikeinportc and FBarber like this.
  22. GetMeAnIPA

you’re right Amarillo isn’t old school, its in that Citra, simcoe range. Not old school but not one of the newer ones. And yes orange is tropical. But my point is that I would like to see SN use more of the newer varieties such as galaxy, starta (which they did) more.

FBarber likes this.
  23. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Nice! Thanks for info. :beers:

mikeinportc, rgordon and Jaycase like this.
  24. Hookstrat

Hookstrat Initiate (136) Jan 15, 2006 Iowa
    Trader

I don't think Strata or Galaxy would be a great choice if the goal is a nationally-distributed, year-round product.

Strata is still only grown by a limited number of farms and doesn't even show up on the acreage report. I think that means the acreage is too low to deserve its own line, but possibly its not reported for some other reason: https://release.nass.usda.gov/reports/acrg0619.pdf

Galaxy is imported from Australia. Too lazy to compare numbers, but safe to say it is limited as well.

25. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,518) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Probably won't buy any bottles or cans, but will definitely try it when I see it on tap.

I don't buy (or drink) a lot of 9% IPA's/DIPA's these days.

(and yes, I realize PtY season will be upon us soon. There are exceptions to every rule.)

26. GetMeAnIPA

That was my thought after I posted. I know from a homebrewing perspective galaxy is a hop that a lot of shops run out of before the new crop is in.

Cheers.

27. detpizzaboi

detpizzaboi Disciple (307) Feb 10, 2019 Michigan
    Trader

Don't hate on Chinook. Bell's just did an all-Chinook hazy IPA called Sideyard that is one of the best I've had.

rodbeermunch, smutty33 and lic217 like this.
  28. GetMeAnIPA

I am not. I like chinook. As I posted above my take is if you want to brew a New England ipa why not go all in and use the new trendy hops that are super tropical and “juicy”. It’s like a local brewery started brewing NE ipas but were using their standard neutral ale yeast. It wasn’t until they started using London ale 3/1318 did their beers hit the mark for NE IPAs. I am just saying don’t go halfway, go all the way.

mikeinportc and pjeagles like this.
  29. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (362) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Hill Farmstead brews a NEIPA with 100% Columbus that blows the doors off 95% of the Mosaic bombs out there. "Going all the way" is not the same as "copying what everyone else is doing".

30. GetMeAnIPA

cool

31. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (162) Mar 14, 2007 California

Targeting $12.99 / 6-pack to the consumer. It's shipping now and on sell at the breweries.

mikeinportc, eppCOS, kuhndog and 19 others like this.
  32. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (726) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Solid price point and especially glad these are coming in 6pk. 12oz. cans.

Cheers

33. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (439) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I don't know how others interpret things but, colloquially at least, citrus fruits seem like they are kind of their own category to me. "Tropical Fruit" to my mind refers to more exotic things that aren't synonymous with Florida: guava, papaya, mango, kiwi, passionfruit, pineapple.

This is hardly worth arguing about, but I thought it was interesting because I never really gave any thought to the distinction before. I wouldn't find it redundant if someone said a cocktail (or a beer) had citrus and tropical notes.

34. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,325) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’m sure they did extensive testing before coming up with a final recipe. But as big as SN is and the volume they need it could just come down to availability and cost. A smaller brewery might have approached this kind of beer a bit differently, but in the volume SN brews there’s different needs I suppose.

35. GetMeAnIPA

That’s how I see tropical as well but one could say orange/citrus is tropical so yeah it’s not worth arguing about. The original west coast style ipas always came across as citrus and I never really thought tropical.

36. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,325) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

WC Ipas used to bring out strictly grapefruit to my palate, bitter citrus was predominant. With a lot of these newer ipas the predominant hit to me seems to be pineapple. My palate is imo pretty limited, i understand bitter citrus and I get sweet fruit, but I’ve never had Kiwi, or passion fruit it comes across as pineapple. The only other kinda fruit I pick up is from Centennial Hops, and Two Hearted Ale and Founders Centennial is all bitter orange. It’s been forever but some fresh Grapefruit Sculpin would be phenomenal.

mikeinportc, bret27 and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  37. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,608) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm curious about but not enthused by the hop blend. I found Hazy Little Thing too dank for my tastes, and I suspect this will be, as well. I know I'm the outlier here. :wink:

Sierra Nevada makes quality beers, though, and I'll try it without hesitation.

mikeinportc and rodbeermunch like this.
  38. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it :beers::beers:

mikeinportc likes this.
  39. baklo

baklo Savant (921) Oct 10, 2012 North Carolina
    Society

Hop bill and ABV sounds similar (but slightly different; glad to see Strata as part of the final bill) to a recent Audition DIPA that had been cycling on tap at the Mills River taproom for a while, but that one wasn't particularly hazy. Just ran by the Mills River tap room and gift shop to snag a 6-pack but it's not on sale there yet. Gift shop folks said they were expecting it in the next week or two. D'oh!

mikeinportc and AlcahueteJ like this.
  40. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,035) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I speculate that it's largely about cost. Almost all of the "big name" breweries making NEIPAs include one or two old-school hops. I'm sure Cascade and Chinook are a lot cheaper than Galaxy and Mosaic, so throwing in some old-school hops with the new ones is a lot less expensive when brewing large scale.