Sierra Nevada Flipside Red IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by El_Zilcho, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brewtaster

brewtaster Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2008 Indiana

I just picked up a beer camp sampler 12 pack. From what you guys are saying, I cannot wat to break it open :grinning:

2. raffels

raffels Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 West Virginia

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/seasonal/flipside-red-ipa

Sorry that doesn't link straight in-just enter whatever for the age verification.

3. rhythm

rhythm Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2009 Texas

been enjoying that pack myself. they're all good but the imperial red ale is my favorite.

4. rhythm

Citra, Simcoe, Centennial. I'm not an expert on Simcoe but from what others have mentioned I think that's the one that gives it that gym sock smell. Still waiting to find Flipside in Houston, TX.

raffels likes this.
  5. Dupage25

Dupage25 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Simcoe is apparently "cat piss." I don't know what cat piss smells like, so I can't comment.

6. darky

darky Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2010 South Dakota

The Ruthless Rye label has got to be one of the best labels I have ever seen. Bought it BECAUSE of the graphics. Killer.

7. macandrewsRIP

macandrewsRIP Initiate (39) Oct 28, 2007 Massachusetts

It's a dialed-down version of Torpedo with a Tumbler jacket on it. Definitely a west-coast IPA, hop-forward and all that, but the dark malts are a nod to the fall beers.

If it is true Tumbler is gone after this year, the folks at SN thought 'we can't compete with the fall pumpkin beers so let's expand the line of seasonals to the end of summer/early autumn and try to mix the two'. (Just my .02 c)

All in all it's great beer, i expected nothing else from one of the US's greatest breweries.

8. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Disciple (340) Apr 13, 2002 Georgia

Just had it last night and I have to say it was just OK. It's good but not great, reminded me a little of the ruthless rye, without the rye. It's SN hopped for sure, but nothing different.......just ok. I'm not a huge fan of the tumbler but I kinda wish they weren't getting rid of it, it just seems like more of a "fall" type beer. Oh well, bring on the Celebration ale!!

9. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

I dont think it tastes like Torpedo at all.
    Seems closer to Southern Hemisphere to me. I like-a-lot.
    Tumbler was great but I think this is a nice replacement.

10. El_Zilcho

El_Zilcho Initiate (0) May 3, 2012 Virginia

Where did you find those? I've been trying to find out if Devestatetion is the same upc as Estate but can't seem to find the info anywhere.

11. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (241) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

Yes, DevESTATEtion will be the same UPC as Estate.

-Bill

El_Zilcho likes this.
  12. RIPT

RIPT Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 North Carolina

I stopped in to Duckworth's in Charlotte, NC yesterday to grab some dinner and of course a couple of beers. Flipside was on tap! Excellent beer! So, for those of you in the Charlotte area stop by and give it a try. You won't be dissapointed.

13. mcenroeb

mcenroeb Initiate (44) Jul 23, 2012 Massachusetts

I had my first Flipside last night and I was underwhelmed (I am a huge SN fan) but I would agree with many posts that indicate they have way better IPAs such as Celebration, Torpedo, and the rye IPA.

14. TheBeerShop

TheBeerShop Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2012 Massachusetts

My rep sent them to me.

Thanks for the info. We can't wait...

15. MeBeerGood

MeBeerGood Initiate (26) Jan 27, 2010 Massachusetts

Drinking my first Flipside now. Pretty tasty brew. I was never a big fan of Tumbler. Prefer Smuttynose Old Brown Dog if I'm in the mood for a brown.

16. rhythm

Finally found this tonight at my local supermarket. Love the smell (stinky in the best possible way, as others have mentioned), which gets even better (along with the flavor) as it warms up a bit. Sits nicely between SNPA and Torpedo while being a bit more complex. I can see myself drinking a lot of this stuff this fall.

17. thatoneguymike

thatoneguymike Meyvn (1,162) Sep 18, 2012 Georgia

Flipside was good, but general consensus is true. Good, not great.

18. dasenebler

dasenebler Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2008 Maine

So what about this beer makes it an IPA, exactly? Because it sure doesn't taste like one. Heck, it isn't even a very good West Coast Red. It's a caramel malt bomb with bitterness. I'm generally a fan of SN, but calling Flipside an IPA (Red, Black, Purple or otherwise) just seems like false advertising. Not even close to Celebration or Torpedo. I've probably been drinking too much Heady Topper recently.:wink:

PS. Tumbler is an excellent brown.

JrGtr likes this.
  19. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Initiate (165) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

That's interesting because I thought it had great juicy west coast hop flavors. The sweeter malt bill complimented the bitterness perfectly to me as well. I guess that's what makes beer fun!

20. rrock44

rrock44 Devotee (443) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

It's no celebration, but it'll help me pass the time. Good brew.

21. Terp96

Terp96 Disciple (381) Oct 18, 2004 North Carolina

I agree completely. It sits well between SNPA and Torpedo. About the closest thing they have to Celebration. Not as good though. Can't wait for that.

22. The_Feebler_Elf

The_Feebler_Elf Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2013 California

I just picked up a sixer of Flipside yesterday. I think it's well done - typical of SN's brews. No, it's not as hoppy as you might expect, but the Simcoe gives it a hoppy flavor I don't often encounter outside of an IPA. I'm wondering if the low ratings have more to do with what is expected of a SN IPA, rather than the beer itself. If the label didn't say "IPA", would the ratings would be different?

Full disclosure, I gave the beer a low-ish rating after my first bottle. I'm starting to re-think my position.

alucard6679 likes this.
  23. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (269) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Tastes like an IPA to me but then again Im not what you would call an IPA expert.

24. kjlcm

kjlcm Initiate (179) Jul 16, 2013 New Hampshire

Got a 12 pack yesterday. Love it! Reminds me of Lagunitas Lucky 13 which I also really enjoy. Really like the IPA / amber angle going on here. Personally I prefer this over Torpedo. I will also be drinking this a lot this fall.

gentlystewed likes this.
  25. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I don't understand all the bitching, myself.

I think it's a great fall IPA.. I can drink IPA's all day long, but this one was really nice I thought. Drank 3 of them without even realizing it while I was smoking some chickens last night. Has a bit more crystal in it than I like, but thats there for the color and the body for a heavier IPA.

All in all, I think it's a great beer. Ruthless Rye in the spring, and this in the fall.. Yes please. Tumbler ain't bad, but I'll take this over Tumbler, and dare I say... over Celebration in the right setting.

26. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Pennsylvania

hmmm. okay. maybe not gr8 but a bit better than good. I think some of these ppl are drinking it too cold. Does anybody else think ganja the instant upon imbibing this one? Not like midroponics but some hi octane ganj. I'm really feeling it. For me, it's smooth gut w/ the right amount of bite, and a rather specific hop profile, which i can appreciate even though there are 3 hops all up init. (I don't mean a specific strain of hops i mean specific flavor.) Over n out

27. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Pennsylvania

liked where you were going until this: I'll take this......over Celebration in the right setting. Ninja please. you are out of line:slight_smile:

28. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Celebration, but it's actually always been a beer I get a sixer of, and then never return to until I have a couple on draft.

Flipside however... I'll be getting more of.

29. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

It's been a while since I've had either Imperial Red or Nugget Nectar so I can't give you an opinion about whether Flipside is similar but I can tell you that it's real good and kinda different from anything else I've had recently. You get both an IPA and an Amber taste without either one overpowering the other.

30. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Initiate (73) Jun 23, 2004 Oregon

So Flipside is available in Maine, Georgia, New York, etc., but not YET in Klamath Falls, Oregon, a mere 170 miles from the brewery! Please put some in our local stores, Columbia Distributors!

31. Hobby

Hobby Initiate (0) May 26, 2012 Michigan

Picked mine up today, finally. Me and a buddy cracked one after some yard work and I thought it was good. Buddy liked it also. It is hoppy and tastes just like an IPA to me. Not a double IPA or a triple but just a good ipa. I like it better than Founders All Day IPA and I payed 8 bucks for it instead of 11 or 12 like other companies would charge for a six pack. Sierra Nevada is a company people should appreciate more because they offer good beers at reasonable prices.

Anyway to each their own, if your interested in a good ipa at a reasonable price I suggest picking some up, I know I'll be buying more.

TongoRad and badb_rad like this.
  32. JT99125

JT99125 Initiate (0) May 7, 2013 New Jersey

LOVE The NARWHAL!! But it's hard to find around me right now, unfortunately. I was actually very impressed with the Flipside. I like it and I think it would pair nicely with Tumbler as two Fall brews. They should do like a split 12pack seasonal release half Tumbler and half Flipside instead of never doing Tumbler again. =(

33. christracy76

christracy76 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2012 Ohio

Flipside was darn good! Got it as a single at Kroger in Dayton about a couple of weeks ago

miwestcoaster likes this.
  34. headylamar

headylamar Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2010 New Jersey

not sure what part of NJ you are in, but Canal's Lawrenceville had ~10 cases of Narwhal earlier in the week.

35. racer2k

racer2k Devotee (421) May 21, 2004 Massachusetts

Decent hop forward SN offering. The best part about it is this beer are the Citra hops which have a big presence

36. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,160) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina

I think it's great.

37. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

An Overall score of 95 means the consensus believes it to be great.

38. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

Sure wish a giant brewery like Sierra Nevada had a Beer Finder on their site.

JT99125 likes this.
  39. semaj

semaj Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2013 Florida

dfecteau likes this.
  40. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

SierraTerence likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.