Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest 2017 - Brauhaus Miltenburger

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by red94tt, Jul 4, 2017.

1. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (388) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Didn't see a yearly thread dedicated to 2017 yet....apologies if I missed it.

I seem to remember Sierra Nevada's annual Oktoberfest getting distribution as early as late July last year. I know summer is just getting into full swing but football and Oktoberfests are not that far away:grinning:

This year's collab with Brauhaus Miltenburger looks interesting:

ABV: 6.1% by volume
    Beginning Gravity: 14.1° plato
    Ending Gravity: 3.0° plato
    Bitterness Units: 30

Yeast: Lager yeast
    Bittering Hops: German Magnum
    Finishing Hops: German Select, Tettnanger, Spalter
    Malts: Two-row Pale, Steffi, Pilsner, Munich

[​IMG]

#1 red94tt, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Haybeerman, cello, Gemini6 and 38 others like this.
  2. matcris

matcris Savant (973) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

Haven't heard of them, which is not saying much. I loved last year's offering. We got a good shipment, and I was still picking up 12 packs long after it had been forgotten; and it tasted great.
    Loved the year before last, too. Anybody know what's with this:
    Notes:
    Sold as "Miltenberger" in the US due to Anheuser-Busch owning the "Faust" copyright.
    Added by BeerAdvocate

3. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Savant (964) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm a huge fan of Oktoberfest beers. Some are bland, some are too sweet, some are too roasted and some have a weird spice to them. I don't like pumpkin beer so fall means Oktoberfest.

So far the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest collaborations have been damn good. Each year I've enjoyed them. SN and GLBC's Oktoberfest are my favorite. A case of SN Oktoberfest and 2 cases of Great Lake's Oktoberfest is enough to last the season

Gemini6, Nate, woodchipper and 10 others like this.
  4. zid

zid Champion (839) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

The brewery is actually Brauhaus Faust in Miltenberg. Anheuser-Busch brewed a beer called Faust way back when, and they've revived it a couple of times. Due to AB having the copyright for that name, the German brewery probably couldn't be sold as Faust here.

5. matcris

matcris Savant (973) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

Danke!!

Gemini6 and zid like this.
  6. zid

Beer Trader

I see that the Steffi malt from the 2015 collaboration is back.

7. Crusader

Crusader Initiate (198) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

The ingredients list for this year is the same as for the 2015 version but in 2015 the OG was 14.6%, ending gravity 3.5% and abv 6.0%. So this year's version starts with a slightly lower gravity, ends at a slightly lower final gravity but at around the same abv (and same IBUs).

8. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Defender (675) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

One of my perennial favorites from this side of the pond, of course I'm stoked. Like Riegele, I've not heard of Faust/Miltenburger prior to the collaboration, so it's off to attempt some Deutsches Hausaufgaben.

9. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,016) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

Looks like they are pushing it into the amber style this year, too.

10. Benjolovesbeer

Benjolovesbeer Zealot (506) Nov 9, 2016 Michigan

I thought Sierra Nevada was coming out with an Oktoberfest variety pack? Bringing back vintage from like 2013 to 2016 along with a new 2017? Perhaps I misread something. Anyone else hear this? Anyway my favorite Oktoberfest from SN was 2014 in a variety pack that included a stout and porter.

DustyF likes this.
  11. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (642) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

If I recall correctly the first bottling date was July 1st last year. Although I believe that was due to them running out of Summerfest because of an unexpected boost in Summerfest sales last year.

12. zid

Beer Trader

If I remember correctly, I think someone here might have made a post like that in a wishful thinking thread some time back. Maybe you're thinking of that. Would be nice if you were right though.

Benjolovesbeer, dennis3951 and drtth like this.
  13. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (180) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Yes I recall someone made that suggestion to Sierra Bill here, not as any official announcement.
    In my opinion they need to shelve whatever next fruited beer they are going to push out next and get us more German style beers!

14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,019) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Like a Kolsch?

Cheers!

15. ecpho

Of course but I've given up on the dream of SN Kolsch. Looking for other breweries to step in. After the latest SN marketing survey I do not think a true Kolsch from them will ever return. I had Boulevard's once on draft but I'd like to find it packaged before I make a judgement.

scottakelly likes this.
  16. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (329) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Typically the first week of the month, Harris Teeter has these on discount $11.99/12pk.

Can't be beat. Unless they did an Octoberfest Variety pack. That would be truly amazing.

17. Hookstrat

Hookstrat Initiate (198) Jan 15, 2006 Iowa
    Beer Trader

It's widely available in cans within Boulevard's distro.

18. ecpho

Haven't seen them in NY yet.

19. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (2,233) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

I first saw last year's vintage in our area in August. I hate to see Oktoberfest beers released in the middle of the summer. If this year's is anywhere near as good, then I'm psyched!

BruChef and VABA like this.
  20. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (271) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

They killed it with the 2016. I think I had at least 4 6 packs of that over the late Summer/Fall.

I'll buy this as soon as I see it on the shelves

Gemini6, DJturnstile, Brolo75 and 3 others like this.
  21. ecpho

I know, me too. I would prefer early summer!

22. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,954) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Ehh -- you can't go by marketing photos, Miller Lite looks like Anchor Steam on the sides of the delivery trucks in my area. :wink:

JimKal, tzieser, AlcahueteJ and 5 others like this.
  23. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,954) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

FWIW -- we got the inside track on this new brew at the Germany Forum from some investigative reporting by @jeebeel about a month ago. @sierranevadabill bill promised a big announcement by now, so we've been keeping a lid -- cat's outta the bag Bill, what's the scoop?

24. IRS4MEPLEASE

IRS4MEPLEASE Aspirant (267) Jul 20, 2008 California

Can't wait to try it. Usually Oktoberfest beers signify the onset of fall for me. A change of the season. And time to drink some beers with a bit more color and character. But in a July! Hmmmm. Cheers!

25. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Zealot (519) Dec 19, 2006 California

These collaboration Oktoberfests are one of best things SN has ever done for beer drinkers.

26. TongoRad

Supporter Beer Trader

:grinning:

I suppose, but that looks somewhere between Ayinger and Spaten, which would put it solidly in the Amber zone.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  27. surfcaster

surfcaster Defender (624) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Supporter Beer Trader

Very serious question--is that a good or bad direction?

Anything heading toward the Ayinger side is punchin' all my buttons.

jkane101 likes this.
  28. TongoRad

Supporter Beer Trader

For these guys, that's a good direction :slight_smile:

Just going off of the photo and ingredients, I'd expect something similar to 2 years ago but with more of the Munich malt character; 2015 still tasted like the pale version. I'd say your buttons will be pushed.

29. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (479) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Sounds like a "go ahead and buy a 12-pack, no need for a 6-pack first to try it" kind of beer to me. I'll be grabbing some the moment it shows up on the shelves!

Gemini6 and ESHBG like this.
  30. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,323) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I bought a single of last year's around late September, went home and drank it, had a religious experience, then immediately went back to buy a 12 pack. One of the best versions of the style I've had.

Can't wait to have this one.

31. Benjolovesbeer

Benjolovesbeer Zealot (506) Nov 9, 2016 Michigan

Alright gotcha must've been what it was.

zid likes this.
  32. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Disciple (358) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

Usually I hate pushing something out early but this works for me, in part because it's been a pleasant summer but mainly because I love this style.

Gemini6 likes this.
  33. JackHorzempa

Supporter

I bought a 6-pack of the Boulevard Kolsch. I thought it was OK - Good. FWIW this will not be a repeat purchase for me.

I recently purchased a Straub 12-pack variety pack. They used to brand this pack as Sunshine Sampler but this year they called it Adventure Pack #1. There are three Kolsch beers in this pack. IMO the Straub Kolsch is Very Good! I wish this beer was available as a standalone 6-pack.

I have heard good things about the Empire Kolsch (Skinny Atlas). Have you tried that beer?

Cheers!

@zid

ecpho likes this.
  34. ecpho

Yes I wasn't impressed by the boulevard Kolsch I had on draft, was hoping it'd be better canned if I ever had the opportunity to buy it.
    Empire Kolsch was just okay but I wasn't sure if it was that fresh, another one I'd need to try again to make a better opinion.
    I live in a terrible beer market for anything besides IPAs (NYC) so we don't get that many interesting lager and lager-ish breweries here. I'd love to be able to buy Staub or other PA breweries I've read about.
    I've pestered Jack's Abby about the possibility of making a Kolsch some day, I'm sure they could make a great one.
    The one well priced domestic fresh Kolsch I would buy by the caseful is SN Kolsch but doubtful we'll ever be able to have the opportunity. (Especially since it looks like they are coming out with a hoppy blonde ale marketed to millennials)

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  35. JackHorzempa

Supporter

This is the first I have heard of this. Do you have any more details that you can share? Has this beer been named/branded yet? When will it be available for sale?

Cheers

P.S. I am guessing that you have tried Captain Lawrence Kolsch?

36. ecpho

I thought Captain Lawrence was almost as bad as goose island's.

Sierra Nevada BFD and another IPA:
    http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/04/sierra-nevada-adding-bfd-beer-for.html?m=1

The logo design makes me cringe.

Hoos78 likes this.
  37. JackHorzempa

Supporter

FWIW I had a chance to drink a sample pour of BFD (it was poured by Ken Grossman) at the Philly Beer Camp event. I enjoyed drinking that sample poured beer.

I have had the chance to drink Captain Lawrence Kolsch and while I was not 'convinced' it was a Kolsch per se I also enjoyed that beer as well.

Beer appreciation can be a 'challenging' hobby and I will readily admit it can be 'challenging' for me as well.

Let's hope that Sierra Nevada changes their mind and produces a Kolsch.

As part of the 'extra mile' I am a homebrewer and every winter/spring I brew my own Kolsch beer which I drink to get my 'fix' of a Cologne type Kolsch beer.

Cheers!

Hoppedelic and ecpho like this.
  38. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,958) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Ok, now Im intrigued ...

I had heard something about this back a bit ago when I took a survey for the Sierra Nevada Insiders - a group of people who take these surveys for SN and give feedback. But hadn't heard anything official yet.

ecpho likes this.
  39. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,485) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Sounds good

40. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (234) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Please note...I strongly believe the most important aspect of branding is product quality. In our case that is the beer in the bottle...

BUT

I absolutely loathe the new label artwork being used by Sierra Nevada. Their classic approach with the landscape renderings or special releases with a different type of design in the "window" were iconic. The recent move to simply large text in their font is rubbish...plain rubbish. Booooooooo!

Tdizzle, tzieser, DonicBoom and 2 others like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.