Sierra Nevada Releases Seasonal Oktoberfest Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Jul 26, 2021.

1. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (94) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

You had me at "6 pack", what are club stores tho? Sam's club, Costco and such?

AlcahueteJ, Squire and SierraTerence like this.
  2. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (172) Mar 14, 2007 California

Yes.
    Also with Club Stores, we usually are not in every one of their locations. They buy regionally and unfortunately I don't see any shipments going to Michigan/Ohio or Indiana. Doesn't mean they are not, just means there is nothing on distributors orders from those states at this time.

AlcahueteJ, Squire and FBarber like this.
  3. WIexile

Trader

Wisconsin?

4. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,906) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

You cheeky bastards are trying to get me back into Costco aren't you?

5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,183) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Oh. I withdraw my like. :frowning2:

SierraTerence likes this.
  6. SierraTerence

Closest places that on orders now is our distributor in St. Paul, MN and Kansas. :slight_frown:

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,161) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Terence, just to clarify my understanding of "on orders now" - Two Wholesale Distributors (St. Paul, MN and Kansas) are now placing orders for Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest beers? If that is the situation, are you at liberty to report how many cases are being ordered now?

Cheers!

8. steveh

Society

9. dele

dele Initiate (100) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

With respect, it's a real bummer that you're only selling Ruthless Rye - one of my favorite all-time SN beers - in this bizarre way. It seems like every new release/piece of news from SN these days gets more disappointing. You're replacing much of your lineup with uninteresting, unoriginal beers, and when you do make the good stuff, you make it unavailable to the vast majority of potential buyers via extremely limited e-commerce or club store only format. It's very disappointing to this longtime SN customer (now pretty much down to Pale Ale, Celebration, and the occasional Torpedo purchase).

#369 dele, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  10. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Just so everyone knows, in most states you can buy booze at club stores even if you aren't a member

11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,161) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

FWIW I am in the same boat here (unfortunately). :slight_frown:

I just got back from visiting my local Retail Beer Distributor and I saw several cases of Dankful IPA (which I did not see there previously) and I excitedly pickup a six-pack from the top case to see this beer was canned in April. WTF!?! I disappointingly put that six-pack back into the case and I purchased a Fat Heads IPA (canned 10/5/21) instead. Even when there is a 'new' brand from Sierra Nevada that I like they are 'duds'. :slight_frown:

Oh well, at least I know that the 12-pack of Celebration Ale I will be purchasing in a month+ will not be 6 months old!! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers!

waltari likes this.
  12. steveh

Society

Just the opposite here in Illinois. Have to check Wisconsin... but I doubt I'm going that far out of my way for Ruthless.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  13. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Ya I should have said " many states", not most. I've never actually checked all the states. I'm also now wondering if it's a law or just a Costco policy, I haven't actually seen a Sam's club in years

steveh and FBarber like this.
  14. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Meyvn (1,167) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Society Trader

So, when will we see Celebration? I’m jonesing over here.

15. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (185) Jan 8, 2015 California

I checked yesterday and it was on tap at a fairly local restaurant. I am in the Bay Area. Cans are surely incoming.

16. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (461) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

CELEBRATE

17. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (371) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

In some states it is illegal to require a membership to purchase alcohol so this is a state law vs Costco policy.

18. WIexile

Trader

Damn looks like another year without Ruthless. Here hoping some distro hits Wisconsin.

19. purephase

purephase Initiate (161) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

I've grumbled about the club store packs being too hop heavy for me compared to the 2019 releases that featured Skiesta, Southern Gothic, and the Vienna. However if they have to be hop-heavy, this is probably close to an ideal selection for me from the current lineup. I'll definitely be picking this one up.

deanzaZZR likes this.
  20. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,317) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Never did it (most club stores in NJ don't sell alcohol due to state law that limits licenses to 2 per company) and once I joined a local Sam's Club that did have a license and checked out the beer selection, I realized not going through the rigamarole was the correct decision. (OTOH, there are a few bourbons I've bought - saved a buck or two - and I'd imagine the wine is a good deal and much larger selection).

That rigamarole? Well, I read this on the internet (:rolling_eyes: - yeah, multiply grains of salt needed) but it was something like you had to go first to the courtesy/return desk. That alone is the first caution - sometimes the line goes out the door (and the shit people return - WTF).

And when you get to the front of the line you ask for a temporary pass BUT that can only be given out by, I don't know, a manager or assistant manager or assistant to the assistant manager - but they're not behind the counter. So they call for one and you hang out and watch the woman who parked next to you in that nice Mercedes try to return a half full package of a gallon of Mexican strawberries...

Get your pass, grab your beer, wait in a long line (somewhat entertaining, if you study what some people buy) and something similar happens at the register because that "shortest line" was short because it was a trainee armed with the bar code reader and no one knows how to ring up alcohol for someone with the temp. pass.

(Based on a true story. Maybe.)

So, it's not worth it if your time and patience mean anything to you.

#380 jesskidden, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    ESHBG, dele, zid and 1 other person like this.
  21. purephase

purephase Initiate (161) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

FWIW, at some club stores the alcohol is in an entirely different section with its own entrance that doesn't check membership and has its own registers.

AlcahueteJ and Squire like this.
  22. steveh

Society

Believe it or not, I saw the Summer Break back on the shelf in a local grocery yesterday. Guess it really didn't sell well.

23. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,654) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Sometimes you just have to scratch your head over vague alcohol restrictions. The few times I've bought from a big box the liquor section had a separate entrance and no questions. Selection was limited but prices were decent.

Bitterbill likes this.
  24. SierraTerence

This was for Ruthless in the mix-pack... Oktoberfest is done shipping.

Bitterbill, JackHorzempa and steveh like this.