Sierra Nevada Resilience IPA / Camp Fire Relief Fund

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by riegler, Nov 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riegler

riegler Initiate (79) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

Incredibly generous move by SN and cool proposal for other breweries to help out too. From SN Facebook page...

Many of you have asked if we will be brewing a fundraiser beer to support Camp Fire relief efforts. The answer is a resounding “yes.”

We are proud to announce that we'll be brewing Resilience Butte County Proud IPA and donating 100 percent of sales to Camp Fire relief. In addition, we are also asking every brewery in America to brew Resilience and do the same.

I’m sending a letter to brewers across the country, inviting them to join us in a collaboration brew day on Tuesday, November 27. We are working with malt and hop suppliers to provide raw ingredient donations to all participating breweries and are asking those breweries to donate 100 percent of their sales, as well.

We know that the rebuilding process will take time, but we’re in this for the long haul. Our hope is to get Resilience IPA in taprooms all over the country to create a solid start for our community’s future.

Thank you to each and every one of you for your support. We're right here with you and we’ll get through this together.

- Ken

2. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

That's a bold move, Cotton. Let's hope it pays off for them.

3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,262) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I've already FB'd this to my local breweries, and will follow up with in-person visits. Not telling y'all what to do, but am strongly suggesting.

4. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (1,831) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I'll pick it up if I see it, catch a buzz and 100% charity why not.

GreenBayBA, Premo88, CrimeDog and 7 others like this.
  5. ernh

ernh Aspirant (209) Jun 10, 2012 California

Incredibly noteworthy because it specifies all "sales" and not "proceeds", "profits", "$1 per pint", etc. That means if you go in and buy a $6 pint, $6 is going to the cause.

I can't recall ever seeing ANY business give at this level. Typically businesses give a portion of the profit after covering their expenses (meaning they're making less money than they would have). In this case, either Sierra is LOSING money OR the malt and hop providers are LOSING money via their donations to brewers.

You've never bought a more important beer in your life.

6. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (564) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

7. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,736) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

The fires are just unbelievably, everyone should buy at least a 6.

8. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I try every thing SN brews anyway so I'll no doubt buy this. I'll also buy some from any local brewery that brews it.

GreenBayBA, bret717 and MikeP64 like this.
  9. B_Horne

B_Horne Initiate (33) Jun 12, 2014 California

As someone who lost their home in the fire I have been amazed by both businesses and citizens in the area (and across the country) for their amazing level of giving. Sierra Nevada has been top among them both in caring for their workers and the public at large. Just when you think they can’t get any better as a company they break through to a whole new level.
    I raise a glass to them (once I go buy a new beer glass, lol).

10. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (509) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Great idea, indeed. I am assuming SN and the hop/malt providers are all losing money in this if you think of all of the resources included.

MikeP64 and Maestro0708 like this.
  11. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

Good on SN and mad respect to any brewery who takes them up on the offer even if they only donate profit and not total sales. Sadly I question how far this will go outside SN; a brewery in the NE might be sympathetic those effects by the fire but not sympathetic enough to brew a beer towards it. This is a great thing even if it remains SN only though. I would buy this beer.[/quote][/quote]

12. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (564) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I am so sorry for your loss of home and community.

I hope folks on the site support SN and the efforts agencies like the Red Cross (with $$$$). While we are all in a spirit of Thanksgiving, we need to remember those who are just thankful to be alive, have lost so much and will be struggling to recover.

GrumpyGas, tzieser, Jaycase and 2 others like this.
  13. Riff

Riff Champion (861) May 12, 2016 Virginia

[/quote][/QUOTE]

The thread on Facebook has a few breweries openly supporting it, like Hardywood, Fox Island, and Cedar Crest, which I saw on a quick scan of responses.

14. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

That is awesome. I am glad!

15. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (2,790) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

Classy move! Wouldn’t expect anything less from this eternally awesome brewery. Will definitely support.

GreenBayBA, Tdizzle and MikeP64 like this.
  16. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (93) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

This is truly an amazing and almost unbelievable thing they are doing. I support this 100%! Just when I thought I couldn't have any more respect for Sierra Nevada they prove me wrong.

MikeP64 and surfcaster like this.
  17. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

bret717 likes this.
  18. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (72) Nov 5, 2018 New York

What a nice idea: I'd definitely buy some if they sell it in NY.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  19. JD_Hops

JD_Hops Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2018 New York

Really great cause

GreenBayBA likes this.
  20. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,219) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Visiting a local brewery tonight. I will suggest this.

21. matthewp

matthewp Aspirant (221) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

[/quote][/QUOTE]
    Actually I've seen many breweries in MA post they are brewing this beer. From small to large breweries. Harpoon donated all their revenue from sales on Tuesday to the relief fund but I don't believe is brewing the beer. Wachussett and Night Shift off the top of my head are brewing the beer. Beyond this being a great thing to do its a great opportunity in the beer world to have the same recipe brewed by so many breweries. It will be cool to see how it turns out differently by each brewer.

GreenBayBA, meefmoff and JrGtr like this.
  22. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

Cheers to SN and everyone else not mentioned who has given to help out.... Hope to see this and other items pop to support the cause, also you can donate regardless so I hope folks help out.
    Cheers

GreenBayBA and tzieser like this.
  23. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

I'll be on the lookout for that brew.

On a related note, they've been doing a lot with the fire relief (which is fantastic).

Here is what they did for Thanksgiving:

24. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,577) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Once you are settled and able to get stuff - PM me, I'd like to send you a box with some beer and glasses from Chicago. Hopefully it can bring a bit of cheer with it.

25. Livyatan1996

Livyatan1996 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2017 Missouri
    Deactivated

bunch of local places here have joined in on this, they say it'll be coming around for sale in a few weeks. good on ya sn

GreenBayBA and BayAreaJoe like this.
  26. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (650) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Here's a link to Sierra Nevada's Resilience webpage...
    https://www.sierranevada.com/resilience-butte-county-proud-ipa

According to an update on 11/27 over 1,000 breweries across the US have joined SN to brew Resilience IPA. The participating breweries are listed on the page. If you live in the US and can't find this brewed somewhere near you I would be shocked.

27. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (539) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

28. LADEDA

LADEDA Disciple (352) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

I have ordered 2 shirts ($15 each plus $10 S/H). I see Cigar City is one of the brewers, so I should be able to help out with that part as well. How terrifying to ponder losing everything.

GreenBayBA and FBarber like this.
  29. TomCat11

Trader

Looks to be $5/shirt shipping. I ordered 1 and it was $15 + $5 shipping to Virginia. Also seems the retail price included tax as well so another win. My final cost was $20

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  30. bdelucie

bdelucie Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2011 New Jersey

There is also a list available of participating brewers by state. I was a little disappointed that NJ wasn't represented more fully. However, to be fair, as someone pointed out above, Harpoon is not brewing, but donating to the relief fund in another way.

GreenBayBA and TomCat11 like this.
  31. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Do you have a link to that list?

32. TomCat11

Trader

BBThunderbolt, dennis3951 and Brewday like this.
  33. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (152) Dec 25, 2015 New York

GreenBayBA likes this.
  34. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Just saw a piece about this on our local news hear in Central PA. That's awesome!

bret717 likes this.
  35. wmeri

wmeri Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2018 Maine

A few local breweries are brewing it.
    I kinda want to go to each and see if they taste any different having been brewed on different equipment.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  36. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (166) Mar 14, 2007 California

Tough to say right now. We are expecting about 70% will go to mostly western states. Check back as we get closer to release date (shipping ~12/17) and we start seeing buy-in from distributors. We are doing about 2,000 bbls in cans, so that still leaves a lot to those states.

I spoke with Monk's Cafe and they will hosting a Sierra night, date still to be set.

37. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (146) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana

Super cool of them to do this. I don’t often buy beer in 4/6 packs, but will definitely pick this up when I see it. Also will definitely hit up as many participating breweries in my area as possible upon release.

38. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,110) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

[/quote][/QUOTE]

At least one here. Looks like I will be productivity drinking for once.

[​IMG]

HorseheadsHophead and GrumpyGas like this.
  39. TomCat11

Trader

[/QUOTE]

At least one here. Looks like I will be productivity drinking for once.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Check out the GoogleDoc SN put out listing all the breweries involved. There are 48 from OH on there along with a lot from the NE that will be brewing for the cause. It may be a west coast relief effort but the response from breweries across the country has been overwhelming. Currently 1,163 breweries as of the last update yesterday. Even noticed a few international.

Resilience Participating Breweries

WesMantooth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.