Sierra Nevada Spring Seasonal: Powder Day IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Nov 2, 2021.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (371) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Interesting that a Spring seasonal runs from Jan-March and is called "Powder Day" but what do I know? Seasonal creep, I suppose. And another IPA in the market, hooray :wink:

The Details
    We started dry-hopping, and it snowballed into a full-on Powder Day. Notes of citrus, stone fruit, and melon pile high in a blizzard of lupulin powder.

Spring Seasonal | Available Jan – Mar

ABV 7.7%; IBU 45; OG 18.2; FG 3.3

https://sierranevada.com/beer/powder-day-ipa/

2. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,183) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Ugh. Or oy. Take your pick.

(Yet) another IPA. :confused:

3. eagles22

eagles22 Devotee (440) Sep 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

If its going to be yet another IPA. Why can't it be a black IPA ugh

FLBeerGuy, eppCOS, Squire and 5 others like this.
  4. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,363) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

Would you rather they bring back Wanderland?

mikeinportc likes this.
  5. steveh

Society

I would rather they bring back Pale Bock. Then Summerfest. But I've never been the biggest proponent of the wide interpretation and exploitation of IPA anyway.

And truth be told, Wanderland surprised me by being pretty drinkable.

6. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,093) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Well, up here in the Cascades, ski season generally runs from Thanksgiving-ish until about Easter, and I'd suspect that the Sierras have a similar time frame.

But, yeah, another IPA from the brewery that over-hops everything? Ugh. Or, oy.

7. bsp77

Society

I never had Pale Bock, but I would certainly take Glissade. However, I will also certainly take a new SN IPA (which they tend to do quite well) over Wanderland, which I found mediocre.

I must say though that anything by SN is better than Summer Break.

8. steveh

Society

I honestly think SN does a good job with hop use and balance in their recipes (most times). My complaint is just that we really don't need another IPA to choose from the already flooded choices -- no matter who is brewing it.

I miss diversity on the shelves.

9. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

My long-time biggest complaints about SN are: A - they overhop Pale Ale to the point that it's realistically an IPA (I've always considered it such since my first one early-mid 90's), and now folks expect anything labeled as Pale to be as hoppy. And B - They overhop Bigfoot so much that it takes 2-3 years of age before it starts to taste like a Barleywine. I love it fresh, but the sweet spot seems to be 3 years.

10. JBogan

JBogan Champion (883) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Trader

Whoopie! I was hoping it would be another IPA because, you know, there just isn't enough of them out there to choose from. Damn. To paraphrase steveh above me, in this day and age where the quest for diversity seems to be the rage, I sure do miss it on the shelves.

11. jasonmason

jasonmason Zealot (502) Oct 6, 2004 California
    Society Trader

I have no issue with SN making yet another special release IPA. IMO they make great IPAs (if maybe a few too many...), and I'm sure I'll give this a try.

But a "Spring Seasonal" that doesn't even bother with more that 11 days of spring? Come on, this is getting ridiculous. Just make it a special release or something instead of tying it to a season.

Seconded. Dare to dream...

mikeinportc, Squire and ESHBG like this.
  12. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (290) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

I get your seasonal lament, but they do four a year and a year is 12 months. Breweries seem to prefer to tie their releases to the calendar year…

dcotom, Squire and AlcahueteJ like this.
  13. steveh

Society

See, Pale Ale is the one "hoppy" beer I can drink without my palate being killed. I just don't find it over-hopped.

As to Bigfoot -- I wish I could comment, I haven't seen it in years. :confused:

14. bsp77

Society

Agreed. Just ignore the words "spring seasonal" and it doesn't matter. And it seems this beer was designed for colder months in mind with its name, label and abv. I guess they didn't want to say "Q1" and sound like a corporation. Lol

mikeinportc and AlcahueteJ like this.
  15. jasonmason

jasonmason Zealot (502) Oct 6, 2004 California
    Society Trader

If tying the release to a season is necessary, would it be too far a reach to suggest the one that encompasses roughly 90% of the release window? And they one that *generally* has more snow anyway?

Screaming into the void, I know, I know.

officerbill likes this.
  16. jonphisher

jonphisher Defender (672) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Did you get any yards haunted forever? I have some in the fridge but didn’t open yet.

17. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,080) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Yea, a "spring" seasonal announcement, and we are barely 6 weeks into fall....gotta love it...not
    Get real SN!!

jasonmason likes this.
  18. o29

o29 Disciple (300) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

One man's trash is another man's treasure I suppose, as this is actually one of the primary reasons why I enjoy Bigfoot: its versatility. You can drink it fresh when it essentially drinks like a malty TIPA, or wait and let it age to become a truer-to-style Barleywine.

What other beer provides such a varied drinking experience over the course of its lifetime?

Regarding this beer, I agree with the general sentiment here. I'll reserve judgment until trying it, but I wish SN would spread some of the love they give to IPAs around to other styles.

19. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

No, it drinks like an overhopped Barleywine. It's great fresh, I drink enough of it, but it's nothing like any kind of IPA.

o29 likes this.
  20. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (371) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I wanted to try this beer but I only saw it at one place near me and at the price I passed ($14.99), as I enjoy Yards beer but they never blow me away. If I see a single I'll give it a try, though, which I think will be highly possible soon, as not one pack left the shelf I saw it on over the weeks and now with Halloween over and the winter beers moving in...

In all fairness I just happened to see this on their site and January is only a few months away (hard to believe TBH) and I'm sure retailers want something to try to ride on the hype *err excuse me* the demand for Celebration.

Victory Storm King Stout is like this for me also and drink it fresh and it's damn near a Black IPA but let it age and it's a whole other beer.

21. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,427) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Really? I see it around ... I just don't like it at all *ducks*

dcotom, unlikelyspiderperson and o29 like this.
  22. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,393) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I'd like to see Glissade make a return as well...

Or how about that Vienna Lager...now that beer I would love to see in stand alones...

23. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,912) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I'm not a big fan of melon so...perhaps a single.

24. steveh

Society

It, or him?

:rofl:

Seriously, though -- you may live in the same state as me, but we both know you're in a different country. :wink:

FBarber and o29 like this.
  25. o29

o29 Disciple (300) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

To my palate fresh Bigfoot doesn't taste that dissimilar to, for a more recent example, something like Stone's 25th Anniversary TIPA.

On paper they at least look a little similar as well.

Hops:
    Stone 25th Anniversary: Centennial, Citra, Chinook, Cascade, Belma, Simcoe, Amarillo & Sabro (That's a lot of hops!)
    Bigfoot: Cascade, Centennial, Chinook

ABV:
    Stone 25th Anniversary: 12.5% ABV
    Bigfoot: 9.6% ABV

IBU:

Stone 25th Anniverary: 100+ IBU
    Bigfoot: 90 IBU

So I don't think it would be totally out of the question to say these two beers may drink similarly to one another while also acknowledging the style distinctions between them. They're certainly still two different styles of beer with unique flavor profiles, but that doesn't mean we can't acknowledge any similarities either.

Cheers! :beers:

rodbeermunch likes this.
  26. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (460) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I had high hopes for wonderland but it just didn’t hit the spot. I miss the hell out of Glissade however. I felt that was one of the best spring beers. It was crisp, clear and bright with just enough ABV for the cooler spring days. I hope this new one is better than summer break, which I only bought a 6 pack of, and I’m a huge Sierra Nevada fan.

tobelerone, ESHBG, bsp77 and 4 others like this.
  27. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (697) Mar 28, 2009 California

Brew all the ipas you want SN just bring back the fall variety pack with the Vienna lager, tumbler and flipside.

28. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,794) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I believe Bill Manley from Sierra Nevada has been on these forums before saying that the brewing industry brews seasonals quarterly, rather than seasonally.

So Q1 is their spring, Q2 is their summer, Q3 is their fall…which makes sense since Celebration comes out in October.

I dunno, it has the exact same hop and malt profile as Celebration. Celebration is at 65 IBUs, and Bigfoot is 90.

BillManley, officerbill, o29 and 2 others like this.
  29. bsp77

Society

In general, I wish there were more Maibocks. In MN, there used to be like 5 that were distributed (3 local, 2 not). Last year I only found one. I can still find them in taprooms, but I love sitting on my balcony on a crisp April day and having one.

AlcahueteJ, ESHBG and steveh like this.
  30. steveh

Society

FTFY.
    Same hop and malt bill. Profile tends to suggest a flavor comparison, but many different beers can be brewed using the same ingredients in different quantities and methods.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  31. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (225) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

I can't remember the last time I saw a Black IPA on a shelf, I miss them too. Along with the IPL thing that seemed to have lasted a week, personally I enjoyed a few of them. But Sierra Nevada makes pretty damn good IPA's I will be checking this one out.

32. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (575) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

This honestly sounds pretty good to me, but come on guys, 7.7%? Celebration, your winter "stay inside it's cold out" IPA is 6.8% and your spring "get outside and enjoy the slopes" IPA is 7.7%? I'll snag some of these when they come out, but I'll be sticking with Conehead at 5.7% as my regular hoppy offering. This is a real missed opportunity, IMO.

33. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (225) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Yes Celebration was DEFINITELY available in October this year :grin::sob:

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  34. rodbeermunch

rodbeermunch Poo-Bah (6,826) Sep 30, 2015 Nevada
    Society Trader

Don't you just hate it when a super high quality pioneer in the beer world releases new beer for a little over $1 per bottle?

35. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,654) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I'm in, at least to try it.

dcotom and Bitterbill like this.
  36. Squire

Society Trader

Cause they gotta keep those IPA customers happy.

37. bsp77

Society

But the weather during this release will average colder than during Celebration, so I disagree.

38. Squire

Society Trader

I miss diversity as well. I'm not hard to please but row upon row of IPAs just isn't as interesting as it used to be.

Bitterbill likes this.
  39. Squire

Society Trader

I suppose the marketing aspect of naming it a seasonal is to trigger a "get it while you can" buyer's response. Just making it good doesn't seem good enough anymore.

Bitterbill likes this.
  40. Squire

Society Trader

In the olden days before refrigeration both brewers and distillers were limited by seasonal weather conditions but that's not the case anymore. Today's brewers may call seasonal releases traditional but to me that reads like marketing.

BrewsOverHoes likes this.