Sierra Nevada Spring Seasonal: Powder Day IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by ESHBG, Nov 2, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,161) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Really? I see it around ... I just don't like it at all *ducks*

2. Tilley4

Tilley4 Pooh-Bah (2,667) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'd like to see Glissade make a return as well...

Or how about that Vienna Lager...now that beer I would love to see in stand alones...

3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'm not a big fan of melon so...perhaps a single.

4. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

It, or him?

:rofl:

Seriously, though -- you may live in the same state as me, but we both know you're in a different country. :wink:

FBarber and o29 like this.
  5. o29

o29 Savant (1,141) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

To my palate fresh Bigfoot doesn't taste that dissimilar to, for a more recent example, something like Stone's 25th Anniversary TIPA.

On paper they at least look a little similar as well.

Hops:
    Stone 25th Anniversary: Centennial, Citra, Chinook, Cascade, Belma, Simcoe, Amarillo & Sabro (That's a lot of hops!)
    Bigfoot: Cascade, Centennial, Chinook

ABV:
    Stone 25th Anniversary: 12.5% ABV
    Bigfoot: 9.6% ABV

IBU:

Stone 25th Anniverary: 100+ IBU
    Bigfoot: 90 IBU

So I don't think it would be totally out of the question to say these two beers may drink similarly to one another while also acknowledging the style distinctions between them. They're certainly still two different styles of beer with unique flavor profiles, but that doesn't mean we can't acknowledge any similarities either.

Cheers! :beers:

rodbeermunch likes this.
  6. Genuine

Genuine Maven (1,313) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I had high hopes for wonderland but it just didn’t hit the spot. I miss the hell out of Glissade however. I felt that was one of the best spring beers. It was crisp, clear and bright with just enough ABV for the cooler spring days. I hope this new one is better than summer break, which I only bought a 6 pack of, and I’m a huge Sierra Nevada fan.

tobelerone, ESHBG, bsp77 and 4 others like this.
  7. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Brew all the ipas you want SN just bring back the fall variety pack with the Vienna lager, tumbler and flipside.

8. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I believe Bill Manley from Sierra Nevada has been on these forums before saying that the brewing industry brews seasonals quarterly, rather than seasonally.

So Q1 is their spring, Q2 is their summer, Q3 is their fall…which makes sense since Celebration comes out in October.

I dunno, it has the exact same hop and malt profile as Celebration. Celebration is at 65 IBUs, and Bigfoot is 90.

9. bsp77

bsp77 Pooh-Bah (2,185) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

In general, I wish there were more Maibocks. In MN, there used to be like 5 that were distributed (3 local, 2 not). Last year I only found one. I can still find them in taprooms, but I love sitting on my balcony on a crisp April day and having one.

AlcahueteJ, ESHBG and steveh like this.
  10. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

FTFY.
    Same hop and malt bill. Profile tends to suggest a flavor comparison, but many different beers can be brewed using the same ingredients in different quantities and methods.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  11. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Savant (1,065) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

I can't remember the last time I saw a Black IPA on a shelf, I miss them too. Along with the IPL thing that seemed to have lasted a week, personally I enjoyed a few of them. But Sierra Nevada makes pretty damn good IPA's I will be checking this one out.

12. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Pooh-Bah (1,969) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

This honestly sounds pretty good to me, but come on guys, 7.7%? Celebration, your winter "stay inside it's cold out" IPA is 6.8% and your spring "get outside and enjoy the slopes" IPA is 7.7%? I'll snag some of these when they come out, but I'll be sticking with Conehead at 5.7% as my regular hoppy offering. This is a real missed opportunity, IMO.

13. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Savant (1,065) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Yes Celebration was DEFINITELY available in October this year :grin::sob:

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  14. rodbeermunch

rodbeermunch Grand Pooh-Bah (3,856) Sep 30, 2015 Nevada
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Don't you just hate it when a super high quality pioneer in the beer world releases new beer for a little over $1 per bottle?

15. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm in, at least to try it.

dcotom and Bitterbill like this.
  16. Squire

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cause they gotta keep those IPA customers happy.

TCgenny likes this.
  17. bsp77

bsp77 Pooh-Bah (2,185) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

But the weather during this release will average colder than during Celebration, so I disagree.

TCgenny likes this.
  18. Squire

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I miss diversity as well. I'm not hard to please but row upon row of IPAs just isn't as interesting as it used to be.

19. Squire

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I suppose the marketing aspect of naming it a seasonal is to trigger a "get it while you can" buyer's response. Just making it good doesn't seem good enough anymore.

AlfromPA, SaltofOH and Bitterbill like this.
  20. Squire

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In the olden days before refrigeration both brewers and distillers were limited by seasonal weather conditions but that's not the case anymore. Today's brewers may call seasonal releases traditional but to me that reads like marketing.

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.