Sierra Nevada Still Waiting for Half the Proceeds from Its Camp Fire Benefit Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, May 24, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,566) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

https://fortune.com/2019/05/23/sierra-nevada-resilience-brewer-shortfall/

Related:

2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (488) Mar 19, 2012 California

I see this as just a friendly reminder from SN.

3. zid

zid Meyvn (1,283) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I hope this ends well.

4. njk82

njk82 Initiate (71) Dec 10, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

Going to be very disappointed in any brewery that tries to pull a fast one here.

5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,568) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Skull Tree in Casper sent their check in.

6. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (368) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Same. But I wouldn't be surprised if a brewery(s) either didn't send in the proceeds or didn't send in all of the proceeds. Although I don't agree with either of these approaches morally, the business world is cut throat.

7. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,636) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I sure hope they all make good. Nothing worse than selling something for charity and then stiffing out on the money, that is as scum bag as it gets. I sure hope this is just red tape and it works out.

8. beersampler6

beersampler6 Meyvn (1,023) Apr 4, 2018 Michigan
    Society Trader

That would just be terrible if this ends up with the more financially-strapped breweries refusing to send in their proceeds for this event. Takes away from all the goodwill and good intentions of breweries from all over joining in, selflessly, to help those in need.

9. njk82

njk82 Initiate (71) Dec 10, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

I think brewing is a busy world, so I'm willing to hope this is nothing more than a situation where Sierra Nevada just needed to gently remind folks that they still need to take care of something.

If not, I will not purchase from any brewery that stiffs them again. I haven't purchased a Goose Island product since I was so angry at how they handled the BCBS infection issue, and I would treat this as a lot worse crime than simply having awful customer service.

10. Bitterbill

Society Trader

How would you know which didn't fulfill their commitment? Would you suggest Sierra Nevada to call them out?

11. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (707) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

A brewery near me was on the list but I never saw the beer, maybe it was never made by them?

I hope everyone pays up. I had a few six packs and really enjoyed the beer. A great seasonal release it would be.

Enjoy

Bitterbill likes this.
  12. zid

zid Meyvn (1,283) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

What's worse than that is also using goods provided by others free of charge in the process:

"Sierra Nevada worked with suppliers for the ingredients to be donated to participating brewers"

13. philbe311

philbe311 Poo-Bah (1,977) Jan 21, 2008 Pennsylvania

Now that notice has been served, hopefully the donations start to roll in... However, after an appropriate amount of time (not sure how long - June 30th, July 31st???) and a few more subtle reminders (which shouldn't be needed) I hope Sierra Nevada publishes a list of the brewers.

While I hope my local go to brewers are on that list, I would have no problem withholding patronage until such time as they rectify the situation... There is a lot of good beer around...

Cheers...

14. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,043) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

Yes.

15. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (243) Mar 28, 2011 New York

That's basically stealing in my book. Not a good look for potentially hundreds of breweries.

kemoarps, Tdizzle, beergrrl and 6 others like this.
  16. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,690) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Yeah saw this on the Twitter the other day and this somewhat depressed me. There was also a report I heard a few weeks ago that breweries in <state I forget> that brewed Resilience can't legally donate the funds to Sierra Nevada due to an obscure law. They weren't aware of this when they volunteered to brew the beer. It was said they were working with the legal body of that state to figure out a workaround.

17. pkozelbeer

pkozelbeer Initiate (115) Apr 8, 2019 Massachusetts
    Society

BeerAdvocate can provide a great service here by continuing to provide awareness of these potential abuses. Give the outstanding breweries a reasonable opportunity to respond with tangible proceeds, then publish the names of the breweries that have not responded so that consumers can make their own decisions on what, if any, actions to take in terms of reaching out on an individual basis and/or boycotting that brewery’s products.

This is reminiscent of those abuses by some businesses that have chosen to wield Breast Cancer Awareness and the pink ribbon as a marketing cudgel for their own selfish gains.

Bitterbill likes this.
  18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,012) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

A number of folks have opined that Sierra Nevada should publish a list of the breweries that brewed a Resilience beer but have not provided proceeds to them. I understand this thinking but it seems to me that this could present itself as casting craft brewing in an unflattering light. Perhaps it would be best if Sierra Nevada simply corresponded with those breweries to 'remind' them this was intended to be a charity effort. Just my thoughts here.

Cheers!

@SierraTerence

19. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,711) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'm 100% with Jack on this, there should be no "outing". I'm hoping, and I feel in my gut, that any brewery that signed on knew what they were getting into and that they just haven't been able to write that check yet.

20. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (478) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Devil's Backbone send their check in? (pretty sure only Resilience beer I drank besides SN)

PS: because its... (gasp)... AB INBev

beergrrl and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  21. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,270) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I bet half these breweries are just now realizing what the beer market for distributed beer has become and are now aware they can't make a profit. Not on resilience but on their own portfolio. Therefore they can't cut a check.

alucard6679 and Oktoberfiesta like this.
  22. jzainasheff

jzainasheff Initiate (36) Apr 8, 2017 California
    Industry

From a brewery perspective, I'm not so sure SN had a very robust method of tracking who did and didn't send in their proceeds. We paid for our own ingredients, sold every drop, and then sent in a check for every dollar collected (no money taken out for anything, we even sent in the portion that was taxes) on January 2nd. However, the instructions from SN at the time said: Please make checks payable to "GVBCF-Camp Fire" and that was it. So we did, but they kept reminding us to send it in. We figured their paperwork just needed to catch up. Then they started telling breweries to, "put your brewery name in the memo field." With no confirmations sent to the breweries that did pay, it is confusing. I just think it could have been handled a lot better. Well, they're a brewery, not a charitable foundation that does this every day, so they did their best, but if anyone does this in the future, there needs to be a more robust way of tracking where the money does go. I'd hate for half of the money to be lost in limbo.

oldbean, maximum12, SABERG and 19 others like this.
  23. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (80) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Is is an interesting and depressing development. I hope all ends well, I expect I will be monitoring this very closely.

24. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,443) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Glad I was able to attend an event at the Flying Saucer in downtown Houston. Where Brock Wagner (from Saint Arnold) and the manager of the Saucer presented a check to Ken Grossman. The link also has a list of the other Houston area breweries that made donations.

http://beerknews.com/grossman-special-flying-saucer-visit/

Not saying every brewery and area will be able to do an event like this, but if they can't honor their contributions, shame on them. Hopefully this is a not so subtle but friendly enough message saying "hey guys, remember we kind of need these funds" before this really becomes a problem.

25. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,125) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Do you remember what was involved in signing up initially? Did Sierra Nevada ask for each brewery’s batch size or a specific dollar pledge? Given variances in price points around the country as well as the participation from regional breweries down to nanos, how did SN arrive at a total to know they’ve only received half?

I’m thinking they’re just going by checks received vs. breweries who signed up, but that can be different than “half of proceeds.”

#25 sharpski, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  26. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,986) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

Wouldn't the breweries have the cancelled checks? A given brewery should be able to post a copy of the cashed check.

And, count me among those who certainly favor outing the cheap fucks who are being dodgy.

27. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,767) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

How are you going to do that, if Sierra Nevada doesn't "out" the offenders?

28. beertunes

Trader

IIRC, SN favored it being a draft only beer. I don't think I saw any packaged, except for SNs, of course.

29. rgordon

rgordon Savant (931) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

That would do the trick. That may be the next salvo.

beertunes and Bitterbill like this.
  30. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (262) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Hypothetically, couldn't a brewery 'join in' without SN even knowing they exist? That'd be easier if their only goal was to deceive.

This right now sounds like they didn't quite have a handle on how to handle all the checks. Not sure why this couldn't have been done electronically.

31. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,044) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Sucks. Did my part at the two breweries I visited that had it. I suspect the majority of these "no pays" are on a financial thread and shouldn't have taken on this challenge. They probably feel bad, but certainly not as bad as the people in Paradise who lost everything.

Bitterbill likes this.
  32. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Photo copies of checks are all that are sent out anymore.

FBarber and beertunes like this.
  33. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (598) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

One brewer by us packaged it but they don't have a tasting room

beertunes likes this.
  34. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,125) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

But if a brewery sold on-premise at $5-6/pint and distributed kegs at $1xx/half barrel, the donation amount to SN can vary wildly based on the mix of those two methods.

Which brings up another question: did the bars who sold Resilience kegs make any donation on the margin between what they paid to breweries (or distributors) and what they charged customers? Sales outside a brewery were likely a small fraction of total sales, but I do remember seeing some Resilience kegs on bar taplists around here.

beertunes likes this.
  35. omlooper

omlooper Disciple (329) Apr 25, 2008 Missouri
    Society

Honor & capitalism don’t mix. End of story.

36. readyski

readyski Aspirant (244) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

I wonder if half of proceeds represents the profit on this batch? Also will this issue qualify for posting to bad trader thread :wink:

GuyFawkes likes this.
  37. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,445) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Not true. Now, end of story.

maximum12, 66jzmstr, TheGent and 6 others like this.
  38. beertunes

Trader

I think, just think mind you, that the onus is on the breweries that made the beer, to be forthcoming.

Now, if a brewery sold kegs to accounts, the brewery owes for that sale, and the account also owes to the cause.

I might be a bit too optimystical.

39. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,445) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I believe all of the breweries that participated did so with honorable intent. It seems (see post #22) that the whole system was a bit loose. I prefer to think this is all a matter of a large number of small business still trying to get it together while one large brewery doesn't have things all that tightly wrapped on their end, either.

40. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I'd love to see the letters sent out to breweries inviting them in to participate,
    If such letters existed and that's how it was done. How DID they coordinate the nationwide project?