Sierra Nevada Teams with Germany’s Bitburger Brewery on 2019 Oktoberfest Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, May 8, 2019.

1. Lowridenn

Lowridenn Initiate (29) Sep 15, 2017 North Carolina

I did get some caramel. Nothing heavy-handed though.

AlcahueteJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,147) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Thanks for that input.

Maybe a side-by-side taste test of two Oktoberfest beers, Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada, is in order for fall 2019!?!:thinking_face:

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  3. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (384) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Had it last night at mill river. It does seem a bit heavier than years prior. And it wasn’t quite as hoppy as I anticipated.

4. JackHorzempa

Society

Did you enjoy drinking the beer? Was it a good Oktoberfest for your palate?

Cheers!

beardown2489 likes this.
  5. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (384) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Absolutely I enjoyed it. Just different than I expected. I rarely find SN beers I don’t like.

They have an “audition” series which must be test batches. They had a triple ipa as well as a 3% session ipa, both were excellent. They also had an employee recipe for a maibock that was delicious.

Mill River is one of the best spots I’ve ever visited.

LuskusDelph, ESHBG, Jaycase and 5 others like this.
  6. rypkr

rypkr Champion (867) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Historically speaking this should be showing up very soon. Anybody seen it around yet?

7. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,106) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Nothing yet. @SierraTerence mentioned in another thread that it will start shipping to distributors in late July for release in August.

Ale_Jedi, John1985, steveh and 6 others like this.
  8. BamaScott

BamaScott Initiate (40) Jul 17, 2018 Alabama

SN Pale Ale is a go to beer for me, but for some reason last year I missed the boat on the Weihenstephan collaboration they did. I don't know why I never picked up a 6 pack of it as I also love Weihenstephan. Instead I ventured out to other beers last year, trying the Flannel Friday which was decent. I even picked up a 6 pack of the Southern Tier Pumking. That was more so for the wife, but I actually liked it fine. Of course I kept a 6 pack of SA Octoberfest as I always do simply because I still love it and it was my gateway beverage into craft beer. Anyway, I don't plan on missing the boat on this when it comes out.

9. dele

dele Initiate (34) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

I'm looking forward to this, but it's not time yet! It's still Summerfest season for another month, at least. In this awful muggy air, a crisp pilsner is much more attractive than a malty Oktoberfest. Hope my locals hold off until late August or early September to switch out the SN seasonal inventory.

Ceddd99, deanzaZZR and keithmurray like this.
  10. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (157) Mar 14, 2007 California

It will start shipping next week to fill distributor warehouses and then more than likely hitting the shelves the week after. ENJOY... it's very good in my opinion. :wink:

REVZEB, Jwhit, Ale_Jedi and 29 others like this.
  11. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,937) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Me too.

CrimeDog likes this.
  12. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (799) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

Yes, yes, yes. But a crisp oktoberfest will help you look forward to the coming cooler months and bring happiness to your muggy, miserable, sweaty soul. Right? :grin:

13. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,084) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I don't really think of Oktoberfests as "crisp".

That being said, I'll drink the hell out of any of them as soon as they hit the shelves. I want them fresh.

nodder, CrimeDog, nc41 and 3 others like this.
  14. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (777) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Can't wait to stock of the fridge with this and many other Oktoberfests this season!

15. Lesak87

Lesak87 Initiate (59) Mar 26, 2015 New Jersey

Hard to believe this beer and most of the other Oktoberfest releases will be landing in about 2-3 weeks.

It is currently 98 degrees in Newark with the heat index reading 104. The oppressive kind of heat and humidity that NJ is so well-known for. As much as I love my Oktoberfests, this kind of weather just doesn’t set the mood. Stock up in August and start cracking them around mid-September is what I do. Nothing epitomizes “FALL” more than a Sunday spent crushing a mini keg of Hofbrau Oktoberfest watching the Giants do just enough to break my heart.

kwakwhore, CrimeDog, Bshaw22 and 10 others like this.
  16. AlcahueteJ

Except the imports are bottled between March and June (June if you're lucky). So some of them could be upwards of 6 months old by September. And they most likely weren't stored in ideal conditions before August when they hit your local liquor stores (also assuming they're stored in the fridge at your store, some of them end up in those huge pyramid set-ups out on the floor :rolling_eyes:).

17. JackHorzempa

Society

Thank you for making this post; you saved me some typing.

I will go on to type (once again): brewing/packaging a beer intended for drinking in September/October in March/April is just plain stupid!!

I will purchase a case of Sly Fox Oktoberfest which will be canned in August.

Cheers!

AZBeerDude72, Shanex, nc41 and 6 others like this.
  18. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (246) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Here we go again. Let's just refer to last year's thread on summer Oktoberfest releases and the years before that as well.

19. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (762) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Had anyone ever explained why they are packaged so early? A July packaging date I can understand. Maybe June for beers destined fur export to another continent. But why on earth would you be packaging a fall seasonal in spring?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  20. JackHorzempa

Society

Exactly!!

Cheers!

stevepat likes this.
  21. invertalon

Society Trader

Logistics. There is likely nothing most of these breweries can do about that without taking on immense expenses in expedited transportation, as least for imports.

The Hofbrau and many other imports were phenomenal last year, old or not. Surpassed many of the fresh, local options.

Alexmc2, tzieser, LuskusDelph and 2 others like this.
  22. AlcahueteJ

I e-mailed Ayinger last year to find out what the code meant on the bottle to decipher their bottling date of their Oktoberfest.

They told me something along the lines of it being a "Marzen" so they brewed it in March, and then bottled it in April-ish.

So, blah blah blah, we don't want to tell you the real answer. I'll see if I can find the e-mail.

23. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (762) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Forgive my ignorance, I've never been involved in massive manufacturing or exporting, but did it really take 4 months to move something from Europe to the US?

Bshaw22 and officerbill like this.
  24. JackHorzempa

Society

Absolutely not. Shipping the beer to a port of exit, shipping across the Atlantic, entry port and customs in the US do not take that long. On a handful of occasions I have purchased Jever beer at my local beer retailer that was less than 3 months old. There is not reason from a logistics point of view that drive the need to package Oktoberfest beers in April.

Cheers!

P.S. I have also a number of times purchased Pilsner Urquell beers that were less than 3 months old.

officerbill, AlcahueteJ and stevepat like this.
  25. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,849) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

According to Pilsner Urquell's spokesperson, Vaclav Berka:
    HEINEKEN USA:

denver10, rgordon, Shanex and 13 others like this.
  26. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (404) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Came in to read about SN's Okto and instead I'm reading about exported beer being old by the time the states get it.

meanmutt, raynmoon and tzieser like this.
  27. AlcahueteJ

Here's the e-mail I was referencing, it was from Merchant du Vin, not Ayinger.

Bottled in late April ‘18– the ultra-traditional Ayinger brews OFM in March. As, you probably know, “Märzen” is “March” in German.

Yup, and I have had Oktoberfest beers from Germany bottled in June by August. So they somehow figured out how to get it here in two months.

In fact I'd guess either the distributors and/or the retailers hold it back until August. It's possible they receive it in July but don't want to release them THAT early.

While it is somewhat tangential to the topic, it is still related. Some might be inclined to drink the imports first because they're older, and hold off on beers like Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest, even if they both hit shelves in a similar time frame.

Especially if Sierra Nevada has more than one bottling date. Also, they haven't distributed the beer yet, so when people actually have started tasting SN's Oktoberfest, I'm sure the discussion will ramp up.

28. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,299) Jun 4, 2012 Greenland

I'm not sure ANY O-fest will ever surpass their Brauhaus Riegel collaboration butttt I'll try it.

29. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,195) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

The bottle code on Ayinger bottles in Germany is actually rather easy to decipher, as it's simply a julian date. Not sure if their export bottles use a different code.

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  30. AlcahueteJ

Historically they have had no date on them here in the US. Last year through the distributor I was able to decode it.

So uhhh, different code and not very easy.

FBarber, grantcty and steveh like this.
  31. JackHorzempa

Society

Do you have a 'decoder ring'?

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  32. AlcahueteJ

Yup, it's called e-mail.

Worst system ever...:rolling_eyes:

33. Stout_Sabre

Stout_Sabre Initiate (166) Jan 17, 2015 New York

I do this except with the Bills. Same difference

34. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (49) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

This should be an interesting blend. Every Oktoberfest collaboration Sierra Nevada has done with German breweries turn out great. Bitburger was the main beer I had when I first went to Germany 16 years ago, mainly because I was in the region and it introduced me to what German pilsner actually is.

PapaGoose03, AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  35. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,403) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Society Trader

Now that it’s dropped (at least in my area—SF) has anyone tried it? What do you think?
    Full disclosure: I picked it up already the instant I saw it—but I feel like I should hold off drinking it until closer to the actual fest. (Or at least that’s what I keep telling myself.)

deadwolfbones and stevepat like this.
  36. AlcahueteJ

So you're going to hold onto it for about two months?

37. invertalon

Society Trader

I still will never understand how people treat Oktoberfests like say, a Pumpkin or Christmas Ale. Those, I can understand to be ‘seasonal’. But not a Festbier.

Even if it’s 90 degrees and muggy as hell outside, a Festbier is likely far more refreshing than an IPA would be. Or most other US styles to boot.

People pound 15% BBA stouts or 8-10% NE IPA's year-round, but snuff at the idea of an Oktoberfest lager in July :grin:

I can maybeee understand avoiding the more intense Marzen-Style Oktoberfests, especially if avoiding any rich, maltier beers.

Each their own, but just remember folks... Most (well made) Oktoberfests are very crisp and refreshing. Even many of the darker variants.

Back on topic, still yet to see the SN Oktoberfest here in Ohio. Can't wait until that bad boy pops into local stores!

38. AlcahueteJ

When I went to Oktoberfest it was 75 and sunny. The beer tasted great.

surfcaster and FBarber like this.
  39. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,270) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

This is what I speak of. Festbier is definitely more prominent for year-round festivals, but the bigger body and mouthfeel of the Amber Märzen is more than I want for warm weather (even though I couldn't pass up an H-P draft at the Kenosha Biergarten a few weeks ago -- but it wasn't blazing hot either).
    So you found that one day out of the 2 weeks. :wink:

Honestly, I can remember almost every range of weather in my trips -- except snow, although one night it was cold enough that I expected it.

officerbill, FBarber and AlcahueteJ like this.
  40. AlcahueteJ

Ha, nah it was one of the warmer falls on record in Europe. We also visited Cantillon on that trip, and they said they had to delay brewing that season due to the heat.

steveh and FBarber like this.