Sierra Nevada & Weihenstephaner (Braupakt & Oktoberfest 2018 collaboration)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by invertalon, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,270) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

They sell very well around here, especially Spaten, Hacker-Pschorr, and the annual Sierra Nevada rendering. I don't recall too much lingering about. I'd drink them into the winter if they remained available.

surfcaster, FBarber and dennis3951 like this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,561) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yup, that indeed exacerbates the issue.
    In the late September timeframe I looked to see if Origlio got a second drop of SN Oktoberfest but I all is saw on my retailer's shelves were beers packaged in July (early July). It appears that Origlio got one BIG drop of this brand. Maybe they got a great quantity discount for this BIG order? Unfortunately that means we beer consumers get to purchase 'baked' Oktoberfest beer.

Cheers!

thebeers likes this.
  3. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,758) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

An increase in that would lead to less "yes" replies to the question below.

surfcaster, FBarber, Crusader and 3 others like this.
  4. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,467) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I concur. That being said, I would drink the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest beers that I've had year-round for sure. But I do agree that it's nice to have something to look forward to coming up this fall.

zid and thebeers like this.
  5. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,078) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Summer. :wink:

SierraTerence and AlcahueteJ like this.
  6. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,914) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I always look forward to their "Springfest" summer seasonal, and their "Julyfest" fall seasonal.

surfcaster, bret717, Lucular and 3 others like this.
  7. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (599) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

If you're not excited for this then you don't like beer.

8. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Since I saw three dates in this area last year I’d say one big drop plus two smaller ones. Time to change to retailers?

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,561) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Most of the time the retailers place an order with Origlio and they receive what they send to them. Can your local retailer specify a packed on date? Those beers that were packaged on July x, 2017 are 'within code' so how can a retailer state that they are unacceptable for delivery?

Cheers!

10. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Looking forward to this, I hope the retailers still have some in stock when I have my Labor Day BBQ!:grin:

thebeers likes this.
  11. Psilo

Psilo Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2017 California

Excited! I'm happy to drink Oktos in July. Hoping it's amber, since Weihenstephaner's is pale.

My local Total Wine still has Hofbrau's sitting on the floor, not even discounted. It's a bit of a bummer seeing it. Everything else is long gone from every other store. I love the style, but am glad it's not year-round. They'd be nearly impossible to find fresh, like most of the other imports and craft lagers that aren't seasonal and just sit around.

AlcahueteJ and Lucular like this.
  12. drtth

It's not specification of a date of packaging, it has to be the size and timing of the order the retailers place.

Sounds to me like your retailers each simply place one huge order at pretty much the same time and for what they expect to sell and then keep selling it til it's gone--hence you see only one date. Most of the retailers I shop at are fairly small and typically place one order, but there seems to be some variability as to when they place their order and get it filled--hence 3 dates, just not all at the same retailer.

13. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,487) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Im super excited for the Oktoberfest collab

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  14. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (182) Mar 14, 2007 California

UPDATE: Launch parties are being planned in Chicago, New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles from mid to late April, so the Braupakt beer should be hitting shelves around then. Still waiting details on parties and exact release dates.

FYI - We are throwing a Springtoberfest party at our NC brewery between the stops above.

15. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (501) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

@SierraTerence

We will be in San Francisco mid-April and of course, dropping in on the Torpedo Room and Chico location then. It will be on tap at those locations, I assume? (If released before we go out there).

16. drtth

BTW, Forgot to mention, the retail distributor where I do most all of my by-the-case business simply refuses to accept and to sign for cases of beer if he judges one or more of them to be too close to expiration to be sold before that date.

Seen him do it. The delivery guy just shrugs and puts the rejected case back on his truck to be returned to the wholesale distributor. There's probably more that goes on behind the scenes, but he still manages to get a nice range of cases to have on offer.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  17. zid

Society Trader

If you can, please keep this thread updated in the future when more info about those launch parties come up.

keithmurray, TongoRad and ecpho like this.
  18. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,989) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

If they post any details on Twitter I'll be able to update this thread as well .

keithmurray and zid like this.
  19. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,260) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I’ll be at the Chicago one for sure!

20. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,914) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

This should be written right on each can/bottle of their Oktoberfest.

If someone told me they weren't excited for this beer, that tells me all I need to know about them as a beer drinker.

chris826, surfcaster, ecpho and 2 others like this.
  21. BeerandLoathing

BeerandLoathing Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2011 Oregon

Exactly. I can't wait to try this deliciousness.

22. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,958) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Hey, six yards of beer! What could possibly go wrong? :grinning:

Lucular, steveh, AlcahueteJ and 3 others like this.
  23. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,834) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Looking forward to both of these, particularly the Oktoberfest. 2019 is the year of the 12 pack Oktoberfest remix (3x of Brauhaus Riegle, Mahrs Bräu, Brauhaus Miltenberger & Weihenstephaner collabs) then, right? We can dream. :smile: Just don't tell me we need to wait three more years for the mix six instead!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  24. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Devotee (483) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

Brewers Association is wrong! Brown adjunct in green bottles is not craft beer. Yuengling is not craft beer

25. PaulStoneAnchor

PaulStoneAnchor Disciple (342) May 30, 2009 California

@SierraTerence will there be a springtoberfest in Chico or San Francisco? :slight_smile:

26. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (182) Mar 14, 2007 California

Just Mills River. This tour is more about the Weihenstephan Braupakt beer and is focused on brewers, so their importers are putting on the parties (excluding the NC event). We will be in support at four stops I mentioned, with some beer and brewers in attendance. I'll provide more info soon.

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  27. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Definitely looking forward to this collaboration.

28. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

As am I. Of course the beer will have to stand on it's own but I see a union of strength here.

Brolo75, VABA and steveh like this.
  29. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,486) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Oh, I've seen that movie and it gets ugly! :smile:

(Yard drinking competitions at home-brew picnics -- thank gosh they were before smartphone technology! :grin:)

AlcahueteJ and dcotom like this.
  30. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,163) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Yeah, I guess the author of this article has never heard of Fritz Maytag and Anchor Brewing, around LONG before Sierra Nevada got their start in 1980

quote.......

"Sierra has notably outlived every one of the small handful of post-Prohibition “micro” breweries that opened before it."

31. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Anchor was not founded "post-prohibition" it's been around since the 1890s

FBarber likes this.
  32. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,163) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

That's true, but I am referring to the era of the company when Fritz Maytag bought the brewery, which was on the verge of closing in 1965....he basically was wayyyyyy ahead of his time and the craft beer curve....which many people tend to forget in our beer history....the introduction of Liberty Ale, Our Special Ale, and Old Foghorn predate Ken Grossman's founding of Sierra Nevada in Chico by a good many years....just saying

33. Junior

Junior Champion (850) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I am hoping for pale.

TongoRad likes this.
  34. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Spikester, AlcahueteJ and TongoRad like this.
  35. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

There is NO seasonal I look more forward to.

Some select true German fest beers and well made American ones alike.

36. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

This x 1000.

zid likes this.
  37. zid

Society Trader

I’m not sure if you are referencing the color conversation in the thread, but that is regarding the Oktoberfest, not Braupakt.

FBarber, tzieser and TongoRad like this.
  38. Hoos78

Hoos78 Disciple (301) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

I know that many on here have a serious issue with the release date of the SN Oktoberfest (for good reason). However, I find they are still plenty tasty in Sept/Oct.

Count me among those really looking forward to the year's batch. Personally, I enjoyed the Brauhaus Riegele collab the best. It will be interesting to see which direction this one goes...more Amber/Marzen or more Wiesn?

nc41 likes this.
  39. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Duh, you're right ... I read real good. Thanks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

zid likes this.
  40. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I want that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.