Asia Singapore/Thailand/Cambodia

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by Genzong, Mar 13, 2018 at 11:32 AM.

1. Genzong

Genzong Disciple (356) Feb 12, 2018 Belgium
    Premium Member

Hi all,

I'll be traveling to Singapore, Thailand and Cambodia with my wife In July.
    Places we will be visiting: Singapore, Krabi, Phuket, Bangok, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap and Phnom Peng.

Anyone know any good spots for Local / Craft Beers, Or local Liquor.

2. phillytothemax

phillytothemax Initiate (119) Sep 6, 2014 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

You should probably leave your craft beer expectations home for the trip and just enjoy a change of pace, Southeast Asia isn't known for it's high quality beer and liquor. The food is amazing and it goes great with a big bottle of the local lagers. Enjoy the cheap mixed drinks made with lots of fresh fruit juice in Cambodia, especially Siem Reap. Thailand is all about local "whiskey" made from rice and cheap lagers, not a whole lot of what you would think of as craft beer but if you pair it with a spicy curry or stir fry you won't care.
  3. Koen1987

Koen1987 Initiate (145) Jul 4, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Jep, I was in Cambodia last year, same places. There's nothing. Cheap beer = Angkor and others.
    Singapore: Smiths street taps, The great beer experiment, brewerkz has a brewpub.
    There is also a Mikkeller bar, but did not visit it.
    2/3 of them are located in Chinatown area, in a huge place with food stalls. Thats pretty interesting, because you can both have some great cheap food and score some nice beers. Not a lot of local stuff, mainly (expensive) imported. In general, beer is not cheap there (taxes).

My friend visited Thailand last fall, and he said craft beer (mainly in Bangkok) has growing at least a bit. So it's possible you find some interesting things over there.