Single Cut: Continental Riot House

Discussion in 'Extreme Beer Box (2022)' started by Todd, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,716) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Please use this thread to discuss and post pics for...

SingleCut Beersmiths
    Continental Riot House
    6.7% | 16oz can
    Fruited IPA with passionfruit and starfruit terpenes.

...and don't forget to rate the beer (click on the beer name above and then "Rate It") on BeerAdvocate!

Chadbo, bluerabbit and Beersnake1 like this.
  2. MattyBlayze

MattyBlayze Disciple (334) Nov 3, 2015 New Jersey
    Society

Halfway through, and this is my least favorite.
    The passion fruit and starfruit gives a near unpleasant sourness. Don't get as much of the terpenes as I hoped.

Chadbo, bluerabbit, beergoot and 3 others like this.
  3. Zeekage

Zeekage Disciple (346) Aug 8, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

The aroma on this one was very medicinal. I am assuming from the terpenes.

It tasted legit like a mimosa to me. Like it actually had champagne in it and the citrus was through the roof.

Quite tart overall as well. If they called it a sour IPA I would not think twice. Not my favorite beer but unique nonetheless!

4. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,130) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I bit the bullet and tried this as one of my infrequent attempts to see if I can tolerate an IPA.

I see exactly why folks who enjoy IPAs don't like it much - I can actually drink this. I cannot say that about SNPA, Juicy-O, etc. This is literally the very first beer labeled as an IPA I've tried that I can get beyond three sips of. Heck, it's the first beer with the term "pale" in the style descriptor I can do that with.

It's not enjoyable for me - it tastes like rancid orange juice with a couple heavy shots of Chanel No. 5 stirred in. But I don't have to drain pour it, and that is an actual first for an IPA for me.

I'll continue avoiding IPAs in the future, even lactose-added hazy milkshake versions, but the mere fact that I can actually finish this one says something.

I'm not rating it, because of my hop aversion, and how it comes across to me. Just putting it out there that a fairly hardcore anti-hophead can actually drink it.

NiceTaps, Puckdog, Chadbo and 6 others like this.
  5. xtremebeer

xtremebeer Initiate (110) Jan 23, 2022
    Society

Surprisingly really good. The sourness works well if you like sour. I like to think of this one as a breakfast beer.

6. Fenski

Fenski Devotee (433) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Third beer from the box, here we go. Looks hazy and juicy on the pour, half inch head, slightly lacey. Oooh I do smell passionfruit, and other subtropical fruits. Tastes just like that but with a little bitterness of an IPA. Finish has a little earthiness. Another great brunch beverage, a fruity drink with a champagny zing. Think mimosa vs. IPA.

7. SiC_MaGGoT

SiC_MaGGoT Initiate (175) Nov 4, 2020 New York
    Society

Try some stuff from Decadent Brewing out of NY if you can find any in your area. They make stuff like French Toast, S'mores, Toasted Marshmallow, and a lot of different fruit variations and most are Double IPAs. If you didn't read IPA on the label you would never know it was one. They are also very good at hitting the flavor profile they are going for.

8. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,130) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I appreciate the rec, though I'll likely stick to pastry stouts when I have that sort of beer in mind. Less chance for my hop aversion to trigger.

9. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (2,231) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Also worth noting that Decadent is right next door to Half Time who ships out the boxes, so there's always plenty of their beer available on HT's website. And yes, those are very fun and non-traditional IPAs

10. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,735) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Unique and intense, quite tart. Hard to tell where the fruit ends and the hops begin. My wife and I are really liking it.

11. pastafarian

pastafarian Devotee (434) Aug 28, 2011 Connecticut
    Society

I love the tartness up until the aftertaste, it just lingers a bit too long for me. If it ended on more of an IPA note I would enjoy it all the way.

12. hyattm

hyattm Initiate (116) Jan 15, 2021 New York
    Society

First beer from our box. No me gusta! Weird grapefruit in the beginning, but it finishes with a horrible medicinal finish like I'm chewing an aspirin. I hope the beers get better than this!

Chadbo likes this.
  13. bluerabbit

bluerabbit Zealot (569) May 30, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

Fruity tart sour. Little too bitter for my liking. I know it says IPA but it comes across as a sour.

Rug, HouseofWortship and Chadbo like this.
  14. Chadbo

Chadbo Disciple (376) Feb 29, 2016 Illinois
    Society

My first from the box, like the tart fruit. The hops are in the background but seem to come through in the aftertaste. I am definitely getting the mimosa comparison that some of the other posts mention. Well done.

Rug, HouseofWortship and Todd like this.
  15. cryptichead

cryptichead Poo-Bah (1,912) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

This was very enjoyable. Tart and juicy. My question is should this be listed as NEIPA? It's hazy, juicy, light in body, etc

16. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Devotee (421) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

(Sorry, late pic). Sour. I may have had passionfruit & starfruit before but I can't remember! The aroma was tropical and I got some musty/basement smells too (which I like). The taste blasted me with sourness and did a job on the back of my throat. I haven't had a starburst candy in forever but I thought about it while drinking this. What stuck out most for me was how quickly and cleanly all of these flavors faded. And though I found it a bit harsh, once it faded, I was like, "OK OK gimme that again, I need to test it out one more time."
    [​IMG]

#16 Curmudgeon, Feb 6, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  17. Puckdog

Puckdog Disciple (314) Aug 14, 2014
    Society

Surprisingly love it. Sour fan but not ipa fan, so I guess that tracks with what people are saying.

UrbanCaveman, Rug, Chadbo and 2 others like this.
  18. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,408) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

This beer is a tactical taste bud strike knocking off the door to your sour receptors. I've never had smelling salts, but I imagine this would be what they give to a boxer after getting knocked down on the mat after 15 rounds. I'm pretty sure one sip of this would jolt the deceased back to life. Is this an IPA? Oh I think not. A modern take on a sour? Sure. First sip the tartness makes a beeline to the back of your mouth to announce its presence before an explosion of the fruit ripples blast waves out to the other parts of your palate- tropical fruit, fizz, whatever the heck a terpene is(Sounds like a University of Maryland mascot). This beer would be incredible with hot wings as they would both decimate different parts of your tongue. A fun ride, not sure I would do it again, but this is the beer you send out in the middle of the order for a change of pace.

NiceTaps, DIM, UrbanCaveman and 3 others like this.
  19. Rug

Society Trader

Awesome stuff here, closed out last night with it. Maybe a dry-hopped Kettle Sour is the better way to describe it? Either way, it's tart and weedy and delicious, hoping this becomes a regular for SingleCut

NiceTaps, DIM, UrbanCaveman and 3 others like this.
  20. PurdueBrad

PurdueBrad Aspirant (204) Dec 15, 2020 Illinois
    Society

Wowzers is this sour and grapefruity, neither of which are flavor profiles I go for. It matched its description well but wasn't really up my alley. My wife compared it to the pith of a grapefruit. While it wasn't for me, the craft and care is quite evident.

Rug likes this.
  21. o29

o29 Devotee (462) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

Up next for me is beer #3 from the Extreme Beer Box: Single Cut's Continental Riot House.

[​IMG]

This is quite an interesting beer. Brewed with "passion fruit and starfruit terpenes" and labeled as a NEIPA, this, as others have noted, likely leans closer to "sour IPA" territory. Let's dig in.

Look: Pours an opaque but attractive orange juice-like color with a decent-small foam head that dissipates over the next few minutes. It looks inviting despite being opaque.

Smell: Right out of the can I got an initial wave of hops which made me understand why this is labeled an IPA, but this was soon drowned out by what I'm assuming is the terpenes. They come off as quite tropical yet tart. Definitely unlike any other beer I've smelled before. Not the most inviting aroma but interesting nonetheless.

Taste: The taste follows the nose with more tropical flavors that are complemented by a crisp tartness. I'm not really detecting much that makes this an IPA so maybe all of the hop aromas were in that one initial whiff, but the flavors are unique and interesting. Finishes dry which works well as it invites additional sips.

Feel: Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side with light to moderate carbonation.

Overall: This was definitely an interesting beer that opened me up to a few new flavors that I've never really experienced before. While this isn't something I'd reach for again, I think it accomplishes its overall goal well of presenting unique flavors in an interesting package. I do agree that "sour IPA" is likely a better descriptor than NEIPA due to its tartness and dry finish.

NiceTaps, DIM, Rug and 2 others like this.
  22. allthefoodsandbeers

allthefoodsandbeers Aspirant (275) Apr 19, 2017 Florida
    Society

I love sours and I love IPA's but this one just doesn't blend the two together very well. Even though this is not what they are going for, this is what came through. It's very tart, and honestly a bit harsh on the throat. I think this one could have been dialed back a little bit and probably would have been quite tasty. I give this one an overall 2.75/5

Rug likes this.
  23. toolbrew

toolbrew Savant (940) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Society Trader

First beer from the box for me. Definitely did not get hops on this. Wonderful tropical fruit aromas. Poured like a NEIPA. Taste was very juicy - almost grapefruit juice tart finish. Overall was easily drinkable but not an IPA IMHO.

Rug, Todd and HouseofWortship like this.
  24. Apellonious

Apellonious Poo-Bah (1,638) Oct 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

#3 out of the box. Not sure how to explain it , but this reminded me of Magic Hat’s #9 on steroids, negative malt.

Rug and Todd like this.
  25. Rug

Society Trader

An odd comparison, but somehow that actually makes sense lol

Apellonious likes this.
  26. poisoneddwarf

poisoneddwarf Defender (697) Mar 26, 2010 Idaho
    Society

1st beer from the box. Aroma has notes of passionfruit, flowers, bleach, and sex. Pours murky orange-ish yellow with a one finger off-white head that falls into a ring almost immediately. Taste has a moderate to high pithy bitterness, moderate tartness from the fruit and just a little sweetness, finishing dry. The passionfruit comes through fairly strong, as do the hops, revealing it as most definitely an IPA. Mouthfeel is simultaneously pulpy and slightly thin. Interesting take. 3.73/5

Todd, NiceTaps, webbedtoes and 2 others like this.
  27. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (4,394) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Poured at fridge temp. Pours a murky orange with white head. Nose is pine, mango, passionfruit, and vanilla. Definitely fruit forward. The taste is really interesting. The bitter pine/hoppy mixes nicely with a sweet fruit. A grapefruit peel taste dominates the back end. It's almost sour, but not an intense sour. Passionfruit, mango, vanilla, and tree sap. Really nice. I love this because it's really different from every other IPA I have tasted. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Overall, a really fun experiment.

[​IMG]

Todd, NiceTaps, webbedtoes and 3 others like this.
  28. brentk56

brentk56 Poo-Bah (11,530) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I'm really struggling with the strong aspirin bitterness in the finish on Continental Riot House.

The aroma is inviting, bringing a mix of passionfruit, tropical fruit sensations and grapefruit pith but the flavor profile is disjointed, starting with some fruity sweet and bitter notes before turning in a sour direction. So far so good but then, in the finish, the aspirin kicks in. I have long been sensitive to bitter aspirin finishes in my IPAs and, finding it in this beer, it pushes me away from the enjoyment I had anticipated.

Not what I was expecting from the label. As others have noted, I would have presented this as a sour IPA rather than a fruited IPA.

Todd likes this.
  29. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,359) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

This matches my experience pretty closely as well. While I didn't find the sour component too overwhelming, the grapefruit and passion fruit blend just wasn't my cup of tea. I also didn't care for the finish, which I thought was short and medicinal (I agree with those who mentioned something of an aspirin flavor).

An interesting beer, but not something I'd want to revisit any time soon.

Todd likes this.
  30. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,553) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

This is my 2nd beer from the box, and experience was similar to others - this is more of a sour IPA than anything. There’s no discernible hop presence, but there’s LOADS of passion fruit and grapefruit rind that reminds me of ruby red grapefruit.

I wouldn’t seek this out, but it was fun to drink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Todd, NiceTaps, Rug and 2 others like this.
  31. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (9,208) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

SingleCut Beersmiths -- Continental Riot House
    Fruited India pale ale w/passionfruit & starfruit terpenes
    6.7% ABV; pouring temperature: 45 °F; canning data: 01/?5/22
    Source: BeerAdvocate Extreme Beer Box

[​IMG]

3.83/5 rDev +0.5%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Eye-appealing milky yellow body, bright and warm; relatively thin head, white and frothy. Initial smell is kind of off-putting yet opens up as it warms; develops into a tropical fruit mix, guava and orange. The taste exudes fresh citrus and pineapple; oh so slight malt presence in the background; tart and tangy. Medium-heavy body; very acidic and rough on the palate; juicy bite.

The initial smell reminded me of rotted fruit, but it gave way to more pleasant sensations in short order. The taste reminds me of a orange juice / grapefruit blend, and actually very tasty. A very unique beer but not one I would go out of my way for again.

---------------------

This is, I believe, the ninth beer I've tried from the box. It fits smack in the middle of the beers as far as what I like and don't like. It's also my third SingleCut beer. My overall rating pretty much lines up with the other two beers of theirs I've tried, both more traditional in style: Cut Out Bin (APA) - 3.78 and 18-Watt Session IPA (American IPA) - 3.83.

Todd, NiceTaps, Rug and 1 other person like this.
  32. webbedtoes

webbedtoes Disciple (357) Nov 1, 2014 Oregon
    Society

I was surprised by how thickly hazed this light sour poured out. Then the first taste "explained" its appearance, but still with much more softness than I would have expected from the description. I found that its flavor only got more enjoyable as I sipped through my pint, so while this brew isn't what I would typically choose it turned out to be far more interesting than I would have expected.

beergoot, Todd and NiceTaps like this.
  33. webbedtoes

Society

Can't be an NEIPA with such bretty tartness; but sure checks off the lactose haze!

beergoot and Todd like this.
  34. webbedtoes

Society

I second that "Hmmm. OK, well... Gimme some more!" evolution!

Curmudgeon likes this.
  35. webbedtoes

Society

Excellent descriptive details.

beergoot and Curmudgeon like this.
  36. travbo1983

travbo1983 Disciple (372) Jun 30, 2010 Georgia
    Society

Box arrived today and this is the first one I opened. Pleasantly surprised. Taste exactly as described. Fruited IPA. I'm getting much more tart than sour as some others have described. Mouthfeel is quite pleasant compared to many sours in the market place. Definitely a brunch inspired beer. Good start.

beergoot, Todd, Rug and 1 other person like this.
  37. dbl_delta

dbl_delta Poo-Bah (3,824) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Saved this one for last because I figured I wouldn't like it. Pours a murky light gold with a brief fizzy head. No lacing. Initial impression is tropical fruits, orange juice, and lemon. Quite tart. Mouthfeel is slightly astringent but refreshing. I'll sheepishly admit that I kind of enjoyed it. Not something that I'd revisit but not bad.

beergoot, Todd, Rug and 2 others like this.
  38. Violentvixen

Violentvixen Initiate (134) Jul 25, 2021 Oregon
    Society

Best description I got is a hoppy mimosa? Another one that I'm not into but will recommend to others.

beergoot, Todd and Rug like this.
  39. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Poo-Bah (1,983) Nov 21, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

https://www.beeradvocate.com/society//NK6pwCWz

My first brew from the box despite receiving it early, prior to 11am on January 28. Why I’m just now getting to it is a long story for another time. I very much enjoyed this beer, my review is posted. And while no more than one at a time, here and there, I’d certainly look for it regularly if available.

beergoot, Todd, Rug and 1 other person like this.
  40. johnny_c

johnny_c Devotee (401) Sep 28, 2012 New York
    Society

I really loved this. I truly feel this beer deserves a better rating than what it currently is showing. It definitely has a sour IPA taste, but I thought the flavors in this one are truly unique to many IPAs I've ever had. Beautifully crafted and another solid beer from Singlecut. The flavor profile with these fruits are awesome and the lasting sour fruit on the palate is my favorite part.

Todd, NiceTaps and Rug like this.