Single Malt Scotch

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by WunderLlama, Apr 21, 2019.

1. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,042) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Aye Laddie!

Love Oban and Talisker.

What should I be drinking? And, why?

2. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (1,542) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

Lagavulin, just sayin'

3. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,399) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I like me some Glenlivet. One night while out on the town in New Orleans, I drank shots of Glenlivet, having heard it won't give you a hangover. I had about 12 shots - may have lost count, was an expensive night. The next day I wasn't hung over, but had the weirdest experience. Every few minutes it felt like I had gotten an electric shock. Wore off after a few hours. But good stuff.

lucius10, nc41, BrewsOverHoes and 4 others like this.
  4. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (52) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

Tomatin is one of the best Highland Scotches for the money.

5. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (603) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Start with Speysides, then Highlands. Then ease into the peaty stuff and eventually the cask strength stuff.

Enjoy the journey.

In a year or two you'll probably be back to SNPA?

6. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,127) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

The Glenlivet. If it's good enough for Det. Goren, it's good enough for me. :slight_smile:
    #L&O:CI

7. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (965) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are really mellow smooth scotches imo. Glenrothes as well.
    Started getting into the smokier scotches as of recent. Recent bottles are Glenmorangie 12yr Quinta Ruban & Highland Park 12yr Viking Honour.
    Really good stuff. Especially with a nice porter or coffee stout by its side.

8. eppCOS

eppCOS Champion (891) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Real men drink Laphroaig.
    'night!

9. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (965) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Im easing my way into such grandness.
    Actually working my pallet up to @Greywulfken status with the Ardbeg. Heard its a real man's scotch :wink:

Ranbot, nc41, Greywulfken and 3 others like this.
  10. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,782) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

If you like Talisker, the big Islay trio makes the most sense -- Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Ardbeg. The Lagavulin 9 Game of Thrones release is much better than I expected FWIW, probably not as good as the 16 but it's also quite a bit cheaper.

If you're interested in trying whiskys with less peat (or no peat), Old Pulteney 12 and Bunnahabhain 12 might work. They've got a lot of different notes and can be very rich and sweet but also earthy. Springbank 12 cask strength also has enough complexity to interest a peat lover.

If you're looking for new stuff to try, check out Ralfy's videos on YouTube. And if you get into that, Whisky.com, the Whiskey Vault, Scotch Test Dummies and Aqvavitae all have helped me learn about whisky.

11. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Aspirant (243) Jul 5, 2015 Kentucky

12. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (258) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

*whispers "Clynelish"

Premo88, KarlHungus and dcotom like this.
  13. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,331) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Laphroaig and/or Lagavulin

Otherwise, bourbon.

14. cryptichead

cryptichead Meyvn (1,274) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

I stick to the Highlands and Speyside. Also love Oban (but it's a bit pricey). Always enjoy Macallan 12 and above. Lately been on a Glenmorangie kick.

15. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,477) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

I pretty much gave up whiskey completely when I got heavily into craft beer, because mixing beer and whiskey fucks me up really badly, but I used to quite enjoy the peaty Scotches like Laphroaig, Talisker, Lagavulin or Ardbeg, Talisker probably being my favorite.

What's quite interesting is that Scotch barrel-aged Stouts are actually a lot more common in Europe than Bourbon barrel-aged Stouts, probably simply because Scotch barrels are more easily available over here and I quite enjoy those and obsessively buy every single one that I can possibly get my hands on.

Had a few aged in Laphroaig barrels that turned out really nice and also one aged in Bunnahabain and Bowmore barrels that was quite interesting because it wasn't as peaty and had more sweet and fruity notes. I currently got my eyes on one aged in Ardbeg barrels that I will probably order next week.

16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,806) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Ardbeg might be a a bit more rambunctious than Laphroaig, like one you like both. Both are great whiskies.

17. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Crusader (752) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Ardbeg, and the heavily peated ones from Islay are my fav's - in true Viking fashion! ....currently drinking (and finished) these guys

[​IMG]

Premo88, dcotom, GMan310 and 5 others like this.
  18. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,609) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Ah, Scotch. Scotch, Scotch, Scotch, Scotch... I love Scotch...

Scotch was my pre-beer drink of choice. I mean, I fooled around with gin and absinthe and all, but Scotch was my drink.

I'm more of an island guy (hey! I live on an island! Coincidence?), and enjoy the peaty, smoky whiskies of Skye and Islay, with the Speysides being right there, too...

Lagavulin has always been my top buy...
    [​IMG]
    But I'm a huge fan of Talisker, Aberlour, Laphroaig, and Ardbeg as well...

Total Wine opening here a few years ago has been great, as I've been able to check out some great releases I've never seen or viewed as affordable before...

All-time faves have included Ardbeg's An Oa...
    [​IMG]

Aberlour's Casg Annamh...
    [​IMG]

...and Lagavulin's 2017 distiller's release...
    [​IMG]
    Sláinte...

Premo88, eppCOS, jkblr and 10 others like this.
  19. VoodooBear

VoodooBear Zealot (570) Aug 25, 2012 Puerto Rico
    Trader

If you're liking Oban and Talisker definitely need to give Islay a shot. From Bruichladdich the Classic Laddie and Port Charlotte. Arbeg 10, Corryvekan or Uigeadail, whichever you can find. Lagavulin 16 is an awesome dram; some people say it's a more "rounded off" or "tamed" (i.e. boring) Laphroaig 10.

Talisker 10 is one of my favorite scotches so in my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of those.

Premo88, NeroFiddled, nc41 and 2 others like this.
  20. nc41

Trader

I wouldn’t consider Lagavulin anything but excellent, the extra 6 years in a barrel adds a lot imo. I’d expect a more mature whisky to be a bit more well rounded, and you pay for the extra years too, here’s its right at $100 a bottle, I can get Laphroaig for $53, Ardbeg is about the same. If price wasn’t a consideration Lagavulin is most terrific.

Premo88 likes this.
  21. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (258) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

I saw the Lagavulin 12 year on sale at BevMo last week, but passed it up in favor of Benromach, which had been on my list for some time.

Premo88 and nc41 like this.
  22. nc41

Trader

I’ve never seen a Lagavulin 12 here only the 16 , the one thing NC isn’t is progressive. Its amazing the things we don’t get here for whatever reason, and every store is different which I find strange because they’re all state run and not independent.

Premo88 and thesherrybomber like this.
  23. Thorzdad

Thorzdad Initiate (35) Jul 1, 2010 Indiana

Bunnahabhain 12 year old here. A different sort of Islay malt.

TheInsomniac, Premo88 and BeanBump like this.
  24. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,069) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I used to drink scotch almost exclusively over bourbon, but back in the day for me, it was the balvinie 12 year, and regular every day for me was famous grouse for around 20$.

Premo88 likes this.
  25. GMan310

GMan310 Disciple (396) Aug 10, 2014 California
    Society

26. nc41

Trader

That’s a great picture right there, brought a smile to my face. I might buy a bottle for our May vacation to Gettysburg meeting up with my brother and his wife. It’s a nice happy medium on driving and none on I 95 thank god, and it’s where I had my first Lagavulin 16.

Premo88 likes this.
  27. GMan310

Society

Cheers! to old and new adventures my friend.

nc41 and Premo88 like this.
  28. GMan310

Society

About to have a glass and fill up on some great green Posole my mom makes.
    [​IMG]

nc41, Premo88, eppCOS and 5 others like this.
  29. Hanglow

Hanglow Crusader (781) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

vat 69 or J&B for cheaper blends

Love Ardbeg

over the last couple of years though I have tended to drink single cask strength ones. The SMWS bottlings are always interesting, although I only want to buy a full bottle of about one in every 7 or so I try.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Premo88, Greywulfken, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  30. Snowcrash000

Trader

Seriously :astonished:!? I can buy Laphroaig for like 30€ and Lagavulin for 60€ in Germany. Still about double for the Lagavulin though.

nc41 and Premo88 like this.
  31. Snowcrash000

Trader

Famous Grouse is blended though, not Single Malt, and probably the worst Scotch I've ever had, to be honest... No offence though :wink:.

laketang likes this.
  32. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,043) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Can anyone recommend a Scotch that has been aged in sherry casks? I've been wanting to try one but don't really know where to start. I enjoy everything from Speyside to Islay, so anything is fair game.

33. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,850) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Bowmore Darkest. An Islay finished in Sherry Casks.

GlenDronach 12 or Aberlour A'bunadah if you want all sherry from start to finish.

#33 drtth, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  34. laketang

Society

Blended yes, but I wasn't saying that was, just my everyday, the balvinie was, to each their own I guess.

Premo88 and Snowcrash000 like this.
  35. TheHammer

TheHammer Savant (988) Feb 15, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

I've always been a Glenfiddich fan myself. The Pear note of the 12 year is infamous, the 15 year old has a nice honey and spice touch, not really a fan of the 17 year old, but if you can afford it, the 21 year old is incredible.

Apart from that, as a Canadian I will also pump the tires our only Single Malt Whiskey that is Glen Breton Rare.

Premo88, drunkenmess and Bitterbill like this.
  36. Snowcrash000

Trader

I think I could have worded my previous post better, to each their own for sure, it's just that I personally really dislike Famous Grouse. Glad you enjoy it though :slight_smile:.

laketang likes this.
  37. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,609) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

All three of my big faves feature some sherry cask action - check 'em out!

Jacobier10 likes this.
  38. laketang

Society

That's cool, But i will just say that the famous grouse REALLY made me appreciate my balvinie when I drank it. I've moved on to bourbon now days tho. Cheers.

39. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,565) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

For a 10 year old, Glenmorangie is pretty good and inexpensive.

Greywulfken, Premo88, TheGent and 3 others like this.
  40. TheHammer

TheHammer Savant (988) Feb 15, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

I'll also add that the 12 year old Quinta Ruban is quite good as well.