Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Comment Site Integration ETA?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ehammond1, May 7, 2013.

1. ehammond1

ehammond1 Jul 4, 2008

When do you expect beeradvocate.com to be back "working" again and integrated 100%? Its been over a year (March 2012) since the crash. Its really too bad its taken so long.

2. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Yeah no kidding. Especially considering how much it costs to join. :p

ZEB89, robwestcott and jRocco2021 like this.
  3. ehammond1

ehammond1 Jul 4, 2008

I think those are largely unrelated issues. I'm simply asking a question, I'm sure, many other frequent users of this site would like answered. Name one other website with this amount of known traffic that remains largely broken and "unintegrated," to use the Bros. own words, for well over a year without transparent site construction or a known timeline. We, as users, are left guessing.

4. draheim

Beer Trader

Eh, the way I see it, it's a free site that we're free to choose to use or not. It's in the Bros' best interest to get it integrated as quickly as they can. And bugging them about it probably won't speed things up any.

Patience grasshopper
    BeerAdvocate will return
    relax, have a beer

jRocco2021 and ehammond1 like this.
  5. ehammond1

ehammond1 Jul 4, 2008

I don't disagree with you. My site usage has declined greatly since March 2012, except in Private Conversations. However, asking once (14 months after the crash) shouldn't qualify as "bugging them about it."

6. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Aug 18, 2011 Virginia

The response citing cost is really a bit of a strawman argument as he didn't appeal to cost as a reason he wanted the change made.

It's in the Bros' best interest to get it integrated as quickly as they can, and the timeliness is all that is being questioned.

JM03, FTowne, ehammond1 and 2 others like this.
  7. draheim

Beer Trader

I'll freely admit, I've bugged them about Beer Karma. And look what good that did.

I guess I don't see what you can't do now that you could do before. The site isn't fully integrated, but shortly after the crash I just saved a second "favorite." If I want to go to the forums I click on that link, if I want to see beer reviews, post a review etc. I click on the other link. Am I missing something else that will be brought back once everything is re-integrated? If so, I probably wasn't using it before anyway.

ehammond1 likes this.
  8. draheim

Beer Trader

My point is simply that it's a free site. Your right to complain about services rendered is directly proportional to how much you're paying for said services. I don't think that's such a stretch.

ehammond1 likes this.
  9. Agold

Agold Mar 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

Yea. What right do the users, who provide the site with all of its content, have to ask if BA will be fixed over a year after it crashed and was down for over a week?

We were given multiple dates when things would be done and all have come and gone. App still not ready, integration only partially complete , trading feedback dne. When would you suggest it would be proper to ask about these things? Another year? Should I wait 2 more? Or should I just shut up because its a free account?

10. BdubleEdubleRUN

BdubleEdubleRUN Jul 28, 2009 California

Aren't you the one that caused the crash in the first place. Way I see it is this is all your fault and you should be fixing it.

11. crushedvol

crushedvol Jan 29, 2008 Illinois

This is what i tell my wife all the time

12. mcaulifww

This right here

13. mcaulifww

It's the consumers right to demand quality from the producers when they consume a product, otherwise consumers will begin to seek out new and better alternatives (Those do exist) to satisfy their unmet wants and needs

jrnyc, match1112, AnnArborJoe and 2 others like this.
  14. draheim

Beer Trader

If new and better alternatives already exist, then why are you still here?
    Also, if we're the ones generating all the content, then doesn't that make us the producers? Which would make the advertisers on the site the consumers, as the Bros sell banner ad space based on the traffic we generate on the site that they manage. So the Bros should really be demanding better content from us. I've been trying, but I'm only one person.

beertunes and mcaulifww like this.
  15. mcaulifww

All good points.

Why I'm still here? I have a group of friends here that I like to inteact with, as well as the valuable content the members of this site put out, as you mentioned.

if we're the ones generating all the content, then doesn't that make us the producers? We consume the interface that allows the user driven content to influence advertisments. We are both producers and consumers, but consumers first. Without an interface to consume, we have no way of generating content, Bros no way of selling ad space and no way of making money (I know about the mag, but that's not what we're talking about)

match1112, AnnArborJoe, Agold and 2 others like this.
  16. draheim

Beer Trader

I have to run now, so I'll just say (again) that the site is free. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. Cheers!

17. trxxpaxxs

trxxpaxxs Mar 5, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I see no complaint from Ehammond1. Just a simply inquiry about the final build.

18. Agold

Facebook, google, et. al. would beg to differ.

BobZ, harrylee773, trxxpaxxs and 2 others like this.
  19. robwestcott

robwestcott Nov 3, 2008 Indiana
    Beer Trader

integration ?

Providence likes this.
  20. jageraholic

jageraholic Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I guess I dont understand what the issue is. I can get to the forums and reviews and every other feature by going to beeradvocate.com. what's broken?

xShoWTeKx, TMoney2591 and draheim like this.
  21. Beerandraiderfan

Beerandraiderfan Apr 14, 2009 Nevada

Totally. Unless you donated big bucks to your Congressman and pay a ton of taxes, I don't want to be hearing about how high the crime is in your neighborhood, how the public schools aren't good, how the minimum wage isn't a living wage, police indifference, drinking water, air quality, global warming, the IMF etc. . .

Same thing for beer. Unless you're actively spending money to lobby your Congressman, you have less of a right to complain about three tier distribution laws, BMC tactics in restraint of trade, dead mice inside a bottle etc. . .

bum732, Providence and ehammond1 like this.
  22. Immortale25

Immortale25 May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

So wait, what is it that you're missing that's unavailable now but was available before? I figured Beer Karma was the last thing to come back that needed to come back.

23. ehammond1

ehammond1 Jul 4, 2008

www.beeradvocate.com is still largely 2 individual sites, at least from a style/visual/sometimes navigational sense. There is the beer review database and then there are the forums. I agree it's moving in the right direction, but it's taken/taking an extraordinary amount of time.

match1112 likes this.
  24. draheim

Beer Trader

Absolutely. Because there's really no difference at all between our rights and responsibilities as citizens, and our participation as consumers in a free market. Great analogy.

beertunes likes this.
  25. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

What's the problem with site as it is right now? Seems fine to me.

jRocco2021 and commis like this.
  26. Beerandraiderfan

You actually said
    "Your right to complain about services rendered is directly proportional to how much you're paying for said services."​

Subsequent to that, you are now attempting to draw distinctions about citizenry, free market etc. . .​

It was your own blanket statement you're now trying to parse and backpeddal away from. You said the extent of your rights (speech no less) are determined by your monetary expenditures. I think that's the logic when we had a 3/5s compromise and sufferage for only land owning white males.​

If I only buy 1 bottle of a flat beer, and someone else buys a case, it shouldn't minimize the worthiness of my gripe about the flat beer or preclude it in any way.​

If I provide content that helps someone make money off of, I should be able to provide feedback about the infrastructure of said operation, regardless of whether or not I also pay them to generate $$$ and a lifestyle off of said contribution(s) to boot.​

27. draheim

Beer Trader

Nope. Just pointing out that some things are subject to the forces of the free market, and others aren't—or shouldn't be. I happen to believe the Citizens United decision was a huge blunder for this country.

You might not be aware of this, but we do have certain "inalienable rights," which means they can't be bought or sold. They are immune to economic forces. You tried to pull them into the discussion, but they have nothing to do with it. It's a complete non sequitur.

Anyway, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with site integration.

ehammond1 likes this.
  28. LeRose

LeRose Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts

I'd like to see an answer on this too. I was "lurking" as a guest for quite a while before my "official" sign-up date in 11/11, but I don't understand what this is about either.

quirkzoo likes this.
  29. Beerandraiderfan

I was gonna bring that up yesterday, seeing as how your statement fully supports the logical underpinnings of Citizens United.

No such thing as inalienable rights. Dare you to try and pick one. I'll provide you with an example of said right being 'alienated'.

It has to do with site integration, because you threw out the blanket statement that $$$ = rights. I don't think $$ should equate to being able to critique or question things.

mcaulifww and ehammond1 like this.
  30. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Jun 20, 2009 Maine
    Subscriber

Way back in the past, the forums were a home-grown solution, pretty well integrated into the site. Then the forums got bigger, slower, and eventually blew up and went away entirely. Then the Bros introduced a 3rd party solution to run the forums. Initially that was a completely separate site, not integrated with the rest of the site in any significant way. The loss of the forums and a non-integrated replacement made the site harder to use, and a lot of people probably went elsewhere.

Over time the two have been better integrated, to the point it's at least functional now, but the Bros have said this integration is an interim step, pending a full site redesign. I think the redesign ties with the mobile site also, and both have been long-discussed but slow in coming to fruition.

(ps I'll be surprised if this thread still exists in an hour)

mcaulifww and ehammond1 like this.
  31. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Let's address some of these concerns.
    You claim that the site isn't working and isn't integrated 100%. Things are rarely 100% in life, but in this case the old pages/nearly all features are working and the new forum/rest of the site are nearly seamless now too. Things are very much integrated. 100%? No.
    • App: Beta web app is available and being updated based on user feedback.
    • Integration: See above reply.
    • Trading Feedback: It's a low priority, but planned for the site redesign.
    For a history of what's been done over the past year: http://beeradvocate.com/community/forums/announcements.49/

I'm biased, but I think we've done a great job and accomplished far more than we expected to over the past year. Even more so when you take into consideration that other than the recent BA mobile beta work, everything has been coded and integrated by a single person; me, which is why we hired a full-time coder to takeover.

As far as further integration is concerned, we've also announced that we're in the middle of a complete site redesign; the goal of which is to create an overall better experience for everyone. Unfortunately a project this size takes time, and there's not a Staples Easy Button that we can press to make it happen instantly, but we're making progress and there's some exciting times ahead for BeerAdvocate.com members.

In the meantime, we'll continue to keep everyone posted on our progress, launch interim updates as needed and listen to any constructive criticism.

Thanks for everyone's continued support.

Todd

tommyguz, JxExM, TheBrewo and 3 others like this.
  32. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Jul 7, 2011 Colorado

Do you currently have an alert? go read a review of a beer and then I will like your earlier post. Try to click on the alert from the review side, you can't. As Ehammond1 was saying, right now BeerAdvocate.com is operating as two websites one is a very robust review database and the other is a beer forum, never the twain shall meet. Most people work heavily in one side or the other so integration isn't a huge deal but Ehammond reviews like a mofo and is also active on the forums it affects him more than most. Obviously this isn't a huge deal or an inalienable right, but as users of this website we can bring it to the bro's attention and asked for it to be resolved.

mcaulifww, match1112, BobZ and 2 others like this.
  33. draheim

Beer Trader

I guess I'm not being clear. My problem started when you compared representation by Congress to a "service rendered," and taxes as just any other kind of payment. These aren't commercial transactions; they're fundamental aspects of our rights and responsibilities as citizens. I don't know what else I can say. We're way off topic already.

Complain all you want about the website. My entire point was simply that if someone gives you a free popsicle and it tastes bad, your complaints will probably fall on deaf ears.

34. ehammond1

ehammond1 Jul 4, 2008

Awesome! Sincerely appreciate the communication, Todd. Keep up the great work! Cheers, bud!

35. draheim

Beer Trader

Agreed. If I ever happen to be in Boston I'd like to buy you guys a beer. This site had provided me with more information and entertainment than a lot of other media resources out there. Cheers!

ehammond1 likes this.
  36. BdubleEdubleRUN

BdubleEdubleRUN Jul 28, 2009 California

Something I would appreciate is that when you are in the beer database or really anywhere other then the forums, I would like to still be able to access the drop down menu on the inbox and alerts.

mcaulifww, ehammond1 and match1112 like this.
  37. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

I would too. It's a known issue that I encountered when integrating the site with the new forum system. I've looked into it, but it looks like the coding required might not be worth the time as it would literally be thrown away during the site redesign.

At least I was able to update counts using the same red alert box upon clicking a subsequent non-forum page and clicking on the navigation for Inbox or Alerts takes you to them.

38. LeRose

LeRose Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts

Thanks for the two replies - makes sense now. Being relatively new, seems it is things I wouldn't really notice all that much. That is probably why some people are confused (well, I was anyway). For me it has "always" been the way it is now, more or less, so I don't know any better. I thank you and beerinMaine for the enlightenment.

Kudos to Todd for jumping in with information and not nuking the thread.

Beerandraiderfan and ehammond1 like this.
  39. Agold

I appreciate thst you are doing a lot of work and something you point to a lot as a reason that some things arent done is this site redesign. Any eta/progress report/info? I know you hired a full time dev a while ago and presumably he is mostly on this but seeing a couple changes rolled out every few months and promises of an overhaul with few details seems a bit hollow.

40. emannths

emannths Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

I think it would help if you updated people on the progress of the redesign since that seems to be what's holding up the implementation of many user requests. There's been no update on it since August 2012, and even that one had nothing of substance. Asking you to manufacture an ETA does no one any good, but commenting on what's been accomplished, giving sneak peaks to static pages or screenshots, or soliciting feedback more than once every 8 months would do a lot to prevent users from being kept in the dark.

ehammond1 likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe