Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Comment Site Integration ETA?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ehammond1, May 7, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

As communicated, we've yet to establish a fixed ETA for the site redesign but as soon as we have more to share we will. Again, it's a rather massive project that's going to take some time.

In the meantime, there's been plenty of interim updates and communication published on a monthly basis and we'll continue to publish more as needed.

ehammond1 likes this.
  2. Todd

We're currently not at a stage where we can share what's being done (otherwise we would), and feedback flows in daily, but we plan on teasing things out as soon as we're ready.

Have feedback/ideas? http://beeradvocate.com/community/forums/feedback-help.32/ or email us.

ehammond1 likes this.
  3. emannths

emannths Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Can you explain this more? Why can't you share your progress?

4. Lerxst

Lerxst Jun 17, 2005 Florida

This site provides me with a great deal of information and entertainment while costing me nothing. Do I wish the mobile app was ready? Yes. Do I wish the site redesign was done? Yes. Do I have a reason to complain when something I pay absolutely nothing for doesn't progress at the pace I would like? Not at all.

5. Todd

We're simply not ready to publicly discuss the future of the website at this time.

6. emannths

emannths Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

And this is why the natives are getting restless. If you're not ready to even talk about a project that you've been working on for 9 months, people get concerned that there hasn't been much progress.

mattafett, JM03, match1112 and 3 others like this.
  7. JM03

JM03 Nov 12, 2010 Ohio

I think this is the main point of Eric's original post. We have heard about the "future site redesign" for seemingly forever, but never hear any details/info/eta/..... We all appreciate the site for what it is, and look forward to future changes and improvements. It would just be nice to have a bit more info about it rather than hearing that it is something that will be addressed in the future.

8. benjaminahudson

benjaminahudson Sep 29, 2012 North Carolina

So I am to believe that you have never complained about:

Facebook?
    Reddit?
    Free news sites?
    Instagram?
    ESPN.com?
    Google?
    (assuming you've been to these sites before)

Just because you don't directly pay for a service doesn't mean you are devoid of any ability to complain about it. In it's simplest form, this thread is user questions/concerns/feedback being directed at an entrepreneur regarding their respective product. When the entrepreneur fails to act on this feedback or fails to address the questions/concerns, the end-user usually moves on to a competing service.

match1112 and BobZ like this.
  9. Todd

We get the restlessness felt and conveyed by some.

I can tell everyone the following:
    • While we made the announcement to do a site redesign back in July, the actual process of creating didn't start in July. We had to hire/process, transition, explore, gather feedback, process, etc.
    • As mentioned in previous threads, much of the platform/code being developed for BA Mobile will be used for the site redesign. We're essentially building a BeerAdvocate API, which is something we've never had before.
    • We gave a sneak peek of BA Mobile (the beginnings of our API) back in December and launched a beta version in March.
    • We've got a far better understanding the forum/login system now and how we can better integrate with it, but at the same time we're developing so we're not tied to it.
    We continue to integrate, develop and progress in the right direction, and we'll continue to keep everyone as informed as we can.

libbey and ehammond1 like this.
  10. benjaminahudson

benjaminahudson Sep 29, 2012 North Carolina

thank you for this info and the answers.

match1112 likes this.
  11. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Actually, the only one of these I've really ever used is Google, and I have few complaints. I understand the terms of use and I've accepted them. Anything Google does with the information I voluntarily provide them by using their service is on me.

Way up top I said that everyone has the right to vote with their feet by moving on to a competing product (or creating their own for that matter) if they aren't satisfied. Nothing's stopping anyone from doing that. I think BA has been fairly transparent in where things stand and what they're doing right along. I'm not an HTML coder so I have no idea what's involved in doing what they're trying to do. But I imagine it's a pretty gargantuan task, especially given that they're providing all this bandwidth free of charge to all users, and they're not selling anything except a magazine subscription and a small banner ad at the top of the page. I guess I'm more patient than some people; I won't apologize for that.

Plus, as others have also pointed out, I don't see much that I can't do on BA now that I used to be able to do before the crash.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe