Situational beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,435) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Just got me thinking. About 2 weeks ago on a cold Saturday afternoon after doing alot of chores and such, I sat down, had no further worries for rest of the day/night and thought it was a perfect time to pull the Old Curmudgeon out of the cellar and have in a fancy glass and just chill in my chair. It was perfect beer for the occasion and situation on every level, the big sipper style, the solitude/relaxation on a cold day etc. But then I thought, I really wouldn't nearly have enjoyed and savored this beer as much while at a party or entertaining guests, in middle of summer after mowing lawn...lots of times it just wouldn't be appreciated or tasted as good.

So what beers (specific or style) go great with different situations of consuming beer. Have fun with it.

2. black13

black13 Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Oregon

A couple years ago we had a good bit of snow. It was cold as hell. That was a perfect night for a glass of Utopias.

3. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,435) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Also, if you have some bad decisions on beer choice for situation that you recall, share as well.

4. ArkansasTraveller

ArkansasTraveller Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Arkansas

Mowing with a can of Westbrook IPA. The can is nice because a snifter won't stay upright in the cup holder on my lawnmower.
    Also, walking around in my woods with a Founders Porter on a chilly day seems right.

PsilohsaiBiN and riverlen like this.
  5. KingFizz

KingFizz Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2013 Kansas

I played Presidents and Assholes with a few 750's of Sixth Glass. Very poor decision.

SHODriver and ArkansasTraveller like this.
  6. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I split a 750 of Abner with a great friend of mine out on my deck on a comfortable late afternoon in August shortly after returning from a Vermont trip. His first Hill Farmstead. Yeah. That was pretty sweet.

7. The_Beer_Shark

The_Beer_Shark Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2014 Illinois

Had a can of Westbrook Gose, my first Gose ever, sitting on my deck chairs watching the dogs play in the backyard on a hot summer day. It was the perfect introduction to the Gose style.

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  8. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (3,188) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

I notice I like to drink a nice strong Belgian after work on Fridays. When I've had a rough day, if I'm not opting for straight hard liquor, I often go for a nice hoppy and aromatic IPA. Porters and stouts for cold days. Pilsners for hot days. An Oktoberfest in the peak of the fall hits the spot. When I go to a ball game I drink Budweiser because, well, that's all they seem to have.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  9. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

For sitting back and relaxing, a nice barrel aged stout, for hot summer days, love me some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Torpedo Extra IPA or Firestone Walker Union Jack or Double Barrel Ale, on a cold winter night, a nice imperial stout like Narwhal or Bell's Expedition. There are just certain situations that make a beer fit the occasion.

10. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,902) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

Sometimes I watch the news and the weather channel and see people with a lot of snow, freezing, uncomfortable and sad. So maybe I reach for an Oatmeal Stout or something and enjoy it outside in the sun, barefoot, perhaps with a cigar too.

11. zookerman182

zookerman182 Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2013 Alabama

I used to try and plan ahead and save big stouts for cold nights and refreshing ales for summer days.
    The planning ahead was more of a hassle and I felt obligated to drink these beers on those days.
    Which in turn made them less enjoyable.
    The best "moment" beers I've had have been exactly that.
    Ones I've just grabbed for no rhyme or reason.
    Usually it's an after work beer or a beer with a good friend.
    The best advice I can give is don't over complicate beer.

12. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

SN Celebration Ale when celebrating something

13. iTunesUpdates

iTunesUpdates Initiate (0) May 7, 2014 Florida

Opening a Bourbon County after the hunt. Nothing like getting home and relaxing to your hard earned brew.

14. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Agreed.

Very fews beers will I feel the need to put into a situation, but some fit well. I save beers for certain occasions, but like you, I make the situations that make the beers enjoyable.

Toss something you've been wanting/traded for/rare into the fridge and just drink the damn thing one day!

15. HEX805

HEX805 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 California

A cold Swamis ipa after a long day on the water spearfishing and grabbing lobster, seems just right to me.

craft_is_king likes this.
  16. SHODriver

SHODriver Poo-Bah (2,687) Aug 13, 2010 North Carolina
    Society

my problem is finding a 750 or bomber less than 10% ABV to enjoy during a weekday. if I can't find that I'll pop open a 12 oz bottle that stirs my interest. then on the weekend I have to decide which bigger beer I want to take care of. I can't even begin to describe how indecisive it can be to have to decide which beer I want to drink. Between three years of Eclipse, all sorts of Firestone Walker, countless Bruery Beers, and various other gems I've gathered it's a serious first world problem made worse by a lack of distro. If I only have one bottle I fear squandering it if opened too soon and it seems a little young and never being able to get it again if I want more.

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  17. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New York

Sours and IPAs are great for any season. Gose, Pilsner, Saison and even a good lager (Weihenstephaner) for summer. Big Stouts, Old Ales, Barleywines and the like are great for the winter or summer if you have a 20,000 btu AC unit with energy saver mode off.

One night in July when it was ~80 and humid, my buddy and I split a BCBS in 2 snifters on his back deck...talk about a chore! I love BCBS, and feel like I woulda bossed it down in the winter, but alas; some stereotypes are in fact true. It was hard to finish in the heat.

18. BigMike

BigMike Meyvn (1,294) May 8, 2008 Pennsylvania

Exactly what I was going to say. Whatever beer I'm having in a particular situation is the best beer in said situation.

19. GregJ

GregJ Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2014 Louisiana

I started a tradition a few years ago with a friend that when I bag a peak I also bring a victory peak with me. My last hike was Mt Kinsman in the NH Whites and I enjoyed a swim in an alpine lake and a Heady Topper at the summit. A world-class beer to go with the world-class view.

20. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2011 Maryland

A friend of mine and I had our beers spiked at a bar in Baltimore once. I'm not sure what happened that night but based on what I saw in the morning it was a situation.

21. mudbug

mudbug Defender (622) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.