Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...

News Sixpoint new formulations/packaging

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Urk1127, May 17, 2017.

1. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,280) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

cjgiant, Wiffler27, meefmoff and 7 others like this.
  2. Sixpoint

Sixpoint Poo-Bah (1,574) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

The first wave of *new* formulations will have a best buy code dating of November 2017 (canned May 2017). There will continue to be incremental improvements and iterations as always - but this first wave of releases will represent the most significant changes.

jbaker67, frozyn, cjgiant and 13 others like this.
  3. Urk1127

Beer Trader

Thanks for understanding what I meant because now I see I typed "can dating site" for some reason lol. I could only imagine what that would be.

Lucular, mikeinportc and Sixpoint like this.
  4. FriedSlug

FriedSlug Poo-Bah (1,809) Feb 20, 2012 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

We've been out of Sixpoint in Raleigh for a while after that initial shipment so I hope the new formulations come flooding into town soon. They all sound great but I have to admit I loved my cream ale. I will definitely try the blonde though.

5. DavidHume

DavidHume Zealot (533) Mar 25, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Is there somewhere where the best by dates are correlated with can dates? I love your beer, but I'm hesitant to buy a hoppy beer when the best by date is five or seven months in the future, since I have no idea when it was actually canned, and that could be indicative (from past experience) of a beer that was canned five or seven months beforehand if the best by date is one year.

Excited for the new formulations, though!

pinyin likes this.
  6. Mattybuchs

Mattybuchs Disciple (359) Mar 15, 2015 Vermont
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm excited to try the new unfiltered recipes since I already enjoy their current lineup. I've been partial to Sixpoint since my girlfriend and I were treated very well by an employee at their brewery in Brooklyn.

As someone who works at a local bottle shop, I can appreciate the can dating window in the packaging so customers don't need to break a six pack box for freshness concerns.

ISO: Unfiltered Resin

AmeriCanadian and Sixpoint like this.
  7. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,140) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I for one appreciate very much the double dates. I've long believed that was the solution to dealing with both the ordinary flavorful beer drinker and the beer geeks like me who obsess over freshness. :wink:

PS--Can of Puff in the fridge to try for the first time Sunday for my thoughts about the flavors and aromas of the beer in the long running New Beer Sunday thread.

dagimp likes this.
  8. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,140) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

They will be putting both dates on the bottom of the can.

Badfish and DavidHume like this.
  9. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Zealot (514) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia

Heading back to Virginia next month and definitely going to stock up on Sixpoint. Still mad I can't get them here in Georgia.

Looking forward to tasting the revamped versions of some old favorites. Especially Resin and Bengali!

10. Sixpoint

One of the most significant changes is we took the feedback from @JackHorzempa and others to provide the necessary information for our fans - all beers now have a "canned on" as well as a "best by" date on the package....

In an interesting twist though, the information is not on the package itself, but rather on the can which is visible through a "sight glass" on the bottom (a cutout of the cardboard wrap). This allows us to have a clean aesthetic on the outside package, and show the customer of the important information below.

More info coming soon...

@Ranbot @keithmurray @tkdchampxi @Ilovelampandbeer @HorseheadsHopHead

[​IMG]

11. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (388) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

That sight glass of the bottom of the can is genius. I can't tell you how many times i've flipped around 6 packs of craft beer cans in boxes looking for where the best by date is. Looking forward to trying the new recipes...especially Sweet Action with Huell Melon...sounds like summer!

12. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (231) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Wow, these sound like great improvements! I love the current iteration of Bengali, but is sounds like a little more tropical hop presence is in the newer formulation. Sounds great as I haven't had a Sixpoint beer yet where my mind immediately went to "tropical". Bengali was already the closest in my opinion. So it should be really good.

The new dating system seems great. Nice to be able to just use the cans but have that visible through the packaging. @Sixpoint Were there any material concerns about package tearing during shipping or handling due to that cutout being on the bottom?

SixpointJMH and Sixpoint like this.
  13. Sixpoint

There absolutely was, but during the initial testing rounds we have shown that the package has the necessary integrity to hold up without tearing, even during temperature/humidity fluctuations. We'll keep a close eye on it though.

Geuzedad likes this.
  14. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (506) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa

Exciting. I like the fact you are listens to this bunch of idiots on the Internet! :wink: :grinning:

15. mschrei

mschrei Meyvn (1,317) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

@Sixpoint - any chance you will ever distribute in Illinois again?

16. ressletr

ressletr Initiate (155) Apr 10, 2005 California

17. syppr

syppr Initiate (26) May 19, 2011 Florida

Mr 6, Any talk about 12 packs? SN, Stone, and Founders seem to do well with that, and I would think Pilz, Sweet Action, and Bengali might be worth consideration. It's usually a substantial price advantage to the consumer per can. All those new formulations will for sure pass my lips in the future, and, BTW, Puff this year is outstanding. Nice bite.

Sixpoint likes this.
  18. Sixpoint

good news on that front - later this year we'll make an announcement on our first-ever "larger" format of cans (here's a hint: its not a 12-pack) :-)

19. syppr

syppr Initiate (26) May 19, 2011 Florida

More ounce per bounce, perhaps? If so, you'll need to start peddling those IPA glasses. You guys always try to please, and although I don't love them all, I haven't snapped a bad brew yet.

SammyJaxxxx and Sixpoint like this.
  20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,008) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Hey, I resemble that remark!:wink:

Cheers!

21. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,008) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

It is in the linked information but I want to 'highlight' the aspect of:

"Over the last three years we’ve cultivated relationships with hop farmers, traveling directly out to the fields to get our ingredients. What does this mean for you? We choose from the best plots to get the juiciest cones, have access to new ingredients, and can collaborate with farmers on the perfect harvest times."

That is some serious effort by the Sixpoint team (@Sixpoint) and I greatly appreciate this!

Cheers to Sixpoint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. zstef99

zstef99 Initiate (40) Dec 25, 2008 New York

Sixpoint does it right when it comes to both the PR and the product. Looking forward to trying these "new" beers... especially Sweet Action.

23. OntheLambic

OntheLambic Aspirant (286) Jan 9, 2015 Connecticut

Can't wait to try Sweet Action, sounds perfect with the Summer weather right around the corner.

24. Tracker83

Tracker83 Devotee (419) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Please come back to Michigan!

DeviousSpirits likes this.
  25. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (3,003) Jan 18, 2003 Illinois
    Subscriber

I really liked the Crisp, so looking forward to the new iteration! I drank a ton of that while on my spring vacation in FL.

26. Urk1127

Beer Trader

16 oz cans? 24 oz cans?

gardenstatepkwy likes this.
  27. dagimp

dagimp Aspirant (269) Nov 18, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Thanks a bunch Sixpoint. The double date on the cans is a great idea. I always loved early Bengali and Sweet Action on draft (pre canning days for Sixpoint). Those beers seemed to have more flavor. Not sure whether it was because they were unfiltered as the article insinuates, or because they were in NYC and really fresh! Either way, you're headed in the right direction. Can't wait for this year's Global Warmer!

Sixpoint likes this.
  28. Urk1127

Beer Trader

I'm very stoked for the new version of crisp. I love noble hops. Especially that it's canned

HattedClassic, CrimeDog and Sixpoint like this.
  29. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,213) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Excited to try these, and also to see the mad science of that can holder design.

SammyJaxxxx, Geuzedad and Sixpoint like this.
  30. BradenMK

BradenMK Disciple (315) Sep 24, 2012 Alaska

You make me want to revisit every one of them. Every write up sounds like massive steps forward, especially for Sweet Action and the Crisp. And I just know that Resin is going to be outrageously flavorful. The move with the canned on and best by dates so clearly marked through the packaging is a masterstroke.

Beer is the only reason I'm sad that I'm in Ketchikan, AK all summer. :flushed:

31. EastHarris

EastHarris Initiate (130) Jan 9, 2012 Pennsylvania

Nice work! You guys are actually LISTENING to what's important to customers. Thank you!

When can we see some pictures of these beers in a glass??

SixpointJMH, Hayden34 and Sixpoint like this.
  32. MissFeisty

MissFeisty Initiate (147) Dec 18, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I :rolling_eyes:'d at the over usage of the word "juicy".

hoppytobehere, Sixpoint and CTbrew32 like this.
  33. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Initiate (183) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

So @Sixpoint, when is Chicago going to finally get distribution again?

34. LeVin86

LeVin86 Initiate (114) Mar 7, 2016 New Jersey

I liked the current version of Puff quite a bit, more so than last year's. Would be really interesting to try the new Resin and the new iteration of Puff as well, looking forward to it.

Sixpoint likes this.
  35. emannths

emannths Initiate (192) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

This is so perfect.

Btw, did you test your best-by dates under refrigerated or room temperature conditions? It's bit confusing how to interpret the combo of "best by" and "keep refrigerated" when shopping at a store that keeps its stock at room temp.

36. Sixpoint

The beers will "hold up" until the best by date without refrigeration, but the flavor/aroma/taste will not be as optimal as if it were refrigerated during that time.

37. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,293) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Please pour all these beers directly into my mouth using a funnel.

38. woodchipper

woodchipper Crusader (721) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Subscriber

My wife is thrilled. She's the biggest Crisp fan out there.
    She went in the local store last night and asked for Crisp because it wasn't in the usual spot. The guy she asked proceeded to explain the announced changes and she was proud to say she had already read about it here.

39. Badfish

Badfish Initiate (80) Sep 6, 2013 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Sexy design and innovative packaging!

40. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,182) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Any chance of new packaging for Jammer (like 12 packs:wink:), and how about a release date? I swear it was out in April last year.

BradenMK likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.