Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Skoal (snuff) used to brew beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mikeyv35, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyv35

Beer Trader

I was just looking through my beer that I have cellared with a lip of Skoal Straight in as I usually do, and a weird thought came into my head. Has a beer ever been brewed using actual tobacco such as Skoal, Copenhagen, or Red Man? Or has a beer ever been aged in an empty tobacco barrel?

ISO: English Barleywine Aged In Skoal/Copenhagen Barrel

My 2 favorite habits are beer and Skoal Straight some brewer help me out here!

2. harrymel

When is tobacco aged in barrels? Please provide source.

3. Lutter

Ew.

I've seen beer overseas made with marijuana, which is actually a cousin to hops. Heard they were a horrible novelty.

Why not try to homebrew some? :) A tobacco rauchbier >might< be interesting.

4. sergeantstogie

It's illegal. For good reason. And no, tobacco is not aged in barrels. It's aged in bales in warehouses.

5. drtth

6. mikeyv35

Beer Trader

Tobacco on occasions is aged in whiskey barrels and other various barrels to impart certain flavors. I have personally had tobacco aged in whiskey barrels and not the cheap Copenhagen whiskey flavored version. What I had was aged in a whiskey barrel w/ some remaining whiskey in the barrel.

drtth likes this.
  7. drtth

8. mikeyv35

Beer Trader

Thanks for the literature guys! I had loose leaf tobacco or side chew (like Red Man) in college when I was playing ball that was aged in a whiskey barrel. The shit was awesome! The tobacco honestly had all the nicotine you needed for your fix and at the same time was pretty intoxicating w/ strong whiskey flavors. My buddy special ordered the tobacco.

9. mikeyv35

Beer Trader

Why would it be illegal to brew a beer utilizing tobacco or empty tobacco barrels? Tobacco is legal in the US and you have to be 21 to buy beer which also covers tobacco.

Skoallrebel likes this.
  10. cavedave

Beer Trader

I think you would need to be careful about the nicotine in the beer. I am no expert, but I believe you could actually poison the beer with nicotine if you tried this. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can weigh in. Better to stick to the brewing techniques and malts that give beers the tobacco taste some, like Adam, get, and which are delicious.

11. mikeyv35

Beer Trader

Dave, this might be a new idea for you! Plus, it would give me a good reason to drive out to you, drink some good brew, and learn a thing or two about home brewing from a vet.

cavedave likes this.
  12. mikeyv35

Beer Trader

How about if you just brewed a beer and simply aged it in an empty whiskey barrel that also housed tobacco?

13. cavedave

Beer Trader

I'll try anything once. You might be the only one willing to drink it with me though haha

14. mikeyv35

Beer Trader

I will start to check around for empty barrels of this kind, probably going to be tough to find.

cavedave likes this.
  15. mikeyv35

Beer Trader

You brew the beer and I will be the guinea pig. An English barley wine that already had mild tobacco notes would probably go good into a whiskey/tobacco barrel IMO. Also, maybe an Alt Bier :).

cavedave likes this.
  16. kzoobrew

Soaking tobacco in water will create a rather toxic and effective pesticide. People will argue that you can use a small amount in a beer to get flavor but personally I would avoid the potentially deadly concoction.

Short's brewed a beer with Lasang Su Chong, a smoked tea, which was said to taste like an ash tray. Maybe that is a better options.

17. Lantern

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Squidly likes this.
  18. mikeyv35

Beer Trader

I mean I don't have the brewing knowledge that you or Dave has, but my thought was not to use actual tobacco that would be floating in water, but to just age a beer in a barrel that housed both whiskey and tobacco. I would think this would allow tobacco notes to be picked up along w/ whiskey w/o making a deadly pesticide as you spoke of.

19. Todd

Todd Founder
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe