1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Slaying your first personal whale

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by kevanb, Jan 12, 2013.

1. kevanb

kevanb Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Let's get some good vibes going today with a little trip down memory lane and reminisce about the first personal whale you hunted and caught. I'm not talking white whales (unless they happened to be your first personal whale), but rather that first elusive beer that you just had to have.

For me it was a few years ago before I started trading and happened to be DFH 120 minute, I could never seem to get my hands on a bottle and it just looked like one of those beers that would always taunt me from afar. I had family members in the midwest and on the east coast looking high and low but to no avail until finally I managed to snag a draft pour at a local bar for a big event. I wasn't that fond of the beer but the hunt made it so much more satisfying.

So tell me BA, what was the first beer you put a target on and went high and low to hunt down?

2. imduffman

imduffman Oct 22, 2012 Ohio

oscar blue ten fidy. traded a kbs for a 4pk

beerking likes this.
  3. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Beer Trader

Without a doubt, Dark Lord. Someone brought a bottle to a homebrew event; I still remember how excited I was to finally try it. I think my glass was shaking as I poured it. :)

4. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

Black Sheep Riggwelter, on cask, at the brewery in North Yorkshire, after having imported bottles for several years. Amazing. Dark Lord, graciously traded by a very generous BA...didn't nearly live up to the hype. Westy 12, given for practically nothing as a gift from a perfect stranger on the day I defended my MA thesis...delicious.

AleWatcher and vurt like this.
  5. hopswap1

hopswap1 Apr 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Black Tuesday. I could never aquire multiple limited releases of anything so naturally I drank them myself and had no trade bait to score one of these. Happened upon the last 2 cherry ryes at my local shop and finally hauled it in with one of those. Only problem is, now I can't seem to find the right time to open it! I fear it may lay in my cellar for quite some time..

MarkIntihar likes this.
  6. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Nov 17, 2012 California

KBS was my first personal whale. Saw the trading value for it and knew it would be a while before I grabbed it. We don't get Founders in California.
    Set up a trade with a BA here and he generously offers one up. It's currently in my possession and I'm hesitant to drink it on any old day. I want to have it for a special occasion.

7. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Mar 10, 2008 Ohio

In the past 5 or 6 years I don't think I've ever tried to hunt down a beer. But I've gotten lucky a few times when I happened to walk into a store and see Cantillon/KBS etc. just sitting on the shelf. There are plenty of beers I want to try, but I just figure I will eventually get around to trying them. There is already a ton of good beer sitting on shelves that nobody is drinking.

NABS likes this.
  8. fiedler84

fiedler84 Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Drink it. You're in CA. There's a good bit of stuff you can procure to use as trade bait for more KBS :). It's quite good. I hoard it.

Johnnyramirez likes this.
  9. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Mar 10, 2008 Ohio

My theory is any day you decide to crack a great beer is the 'right time'. I know I don't regret drinking every bottle of Cantillion I got simply because it was a random day.

NABS, HopsHopenstein, Holland and 2 others like this.
  10. forgetfu

forgetfu Jul 27, 2007 Colorado
    Beer Trader

07 Darkness. It was a pretty crazy first whale to trade for, but i was just getting into the beer trading scene. There was a whale tasting going on in Denver that i wanted to attend but i didn't have the ammo. I was looking for ANYTHING that would get me a seat at the table. I got insanely lucky.

CarolinaKevin likes this.
  11. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Jan 13, 2011 Alabama

My first personal whale was a Dark Lord.. I held it several months befor I was brave enough to drink something I never thought I would be able to get.....now I have a few bottles that I can't make myself drink, because I'm afraid I'll never get another chance to have one...I guess I'll have to wait on the right occasion..ha

woodchopper likes this.
  12. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Beer Trader

Agreed. In fact, I just cracked open a bottle of BT last night. I'd had it for roughly a year. My problem is that there's no way I can drink an entire bottle of an 18.3% abv. beer all by myself, nor are there too many occasions to share it with an appreciative crowd. Anyway, I live in Morgantown now (where most folks know nothing about Bruery or BT), and so I brought it to a nearby beer bar to share. It was absolutely the best thing I could have done with it. The bartender and customers in the bar were very, very happy and excited to try it, I got to have as much as I could handle (a very small glass was sufficient for me), and a number of folks were able to try it who I'm sure never dreamed they'd get the opportunity. It was a complete win, win, win situation.

13. Duffman929

Duffman929 Nov 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

My first big want on here was a bottle of Darkness. Biglobo hooked me up nicely. Because of that, I try and hook people up all the time. I also don't hold it against him that he has a poor choice in hockey team.

VonZipper, NABS, MarkIntihar and 4 others like this.
  14. HopsHopenstein

HopsHopenstein Sep 4, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Mine was Kate the Great, waiting in freezing cold temps and dealing with the craziness was all part of the draw. Have been fairly lucky on my personal whale hunts since, everytime I land 1 another goes up on the board. What started as a hobby is now drifting into obsession. Im sure Im not the only 1 ;)

oldschool9 and jglowe77 like this.
  15. hopswap1

hopswap1 Apr 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

True story
    Source - Hooked me up with earlier said Black Tuesday

16. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Dark Lord and Darkness equally. It took a while into the trading game before I could land either.

17. texasdrugaddict

texasdrugaddict Oct 11, 2012 New Mexico

Abyss 10' last month. I had never had Abyss until last feb and ran though 8 bottles of 11 since then. Some people told me that 10 was better than 11' and that is was the best year of Abyss(whether it is or isn't the point).So since Feb I had wanted to try it. A local beer store put out a vert of Abyss last month and had 09-12. I grabber a dozen of 12's,4x 11s and 4x 10s. I sat down and drank one of the 10s the next day. Most satisfy beer I ever had.

18. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Mar 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Mine was Kate the Great...and in that same trade landed a Mimosa and Damon back before I even knew what Hill Farmstead was. I think I only gave up a KH, Hunahpu, and a bottle or two of BCBS Coffee.

19. DarthKostrizer

DarthKostrizer May 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

And both are shit

20. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Alpine Great. Then I did the unthinkable and drank it myself. Have been trying to land another bottle since then, so my friends can try it, but I think bad Karma has attached due to my selfishness, and I can't get one. Maybe if/when the new release comes out?

21. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Nov 9, 2011 Illinois

First personal whale was Founders Better Half, I was so lucky to land three bottles when I first dived into trading. Those bottles were so tasty and some friends enjoyed them as well...though I have to say I poured most of the first bottle for myself and gave my buddies samples. Got me addicted to trading...and I shared the rest with friends as I received more. :)

22. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

The first year CBS was bottled i walked into Bestway and Roger put one in my hands. I've never traded for a Whale, most of what I like I can get for locals or Old Hickory special releases.

23. WagonCircler

WagonCircler May 15, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

HOTD Matt. Just got one last week.

aasher likes this.
  24. atoulouk

atoulouk Apr 25, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Mine would have to be King Henry. I craved that beer the minute I first heard about it, but my city only got 1 case and it was to a bar for on-site only. That bar said they were going to "cellar" them, though they are upstairs in what I could only assume to be a hotter room than the bar itself. Slowly but surely they were given to the "regulars" at that bar, which I am not.

I traded the BA Owde Engwish that I got at the FFF 15th anny for the KH and a few random 12oz. Would gladly do it again. King Henry is delicious.

founder26 likes this.
  25. iadler

iadler Aug 12, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Abyss for me in 2010. I'd stop in my nearby liquor store every week or so and chat with one of the beer guys. After chatting about upcoming releases he mentioned Abyss would be coming. I asked him if I could be put on the list and he said no problem. The day it gets released I go into the store to get my bottle. It turns out he put me on a different list since we were talking about Bourbon County as well. He feels so bad that he gives up his own personal bottle of Abyss to me. Really nice gesture and the first "whale" I landed.

26. tylermains

tylermains Apr 6, 2010 Kentucky

I can second the 120 Minute. It was a huge tease for me at the time. It felt amazing to finally split a 2004 (in 2011)

Second would be Westvelteren XII. Which I actually just had for my first time last night! A very nice bartender in town gifted me his bottle if I promised to share it. I split it 4 ways with my co-workers. Great beer, but even better experience.

Brabantiae was my biggest whale. I was lucky enough to procure a bottle and split it 10, maybe 15 ways at Ebenezer's in Maine.

Ann is my next personal whale. I will taste her later this month thanks to Urbancaver. Civil Disobedience #5 is looking like the next impossible thing for me to find.

27. Dennoman

Dennoman Aug 20, 2011 Belgium

First personal whale since I started getting into international craft beer:

[​IMG]

So disappointed I could cry. It was borderline gross.

28. infi

infi Apr 4, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

In-store was for KBS, in 2010. I was just picking up that year's batch of FBS, when the beer guy offered to give me some. Instant butterflies. And when I finally started trading last year, personally landing Hunahpu's was absolutely huge.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  29. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Jul 7, 2011 Colorado

Kate the Great 2012, opened after my son was born. I also used it as an opportunity to run a LIF:

whales, bro.

30. youradhere

youradhere Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Mine was the Southampton RIS- after trying that I truly understood the dark side of hype. Very disappointing and thin, good thing I opened it at a tasting. I dumped my taster and went back for more Hunah and Abyss.

Anonymous1 likes this.
  31. Goblinmunkey7

Goblinmunkey7 Dec 24, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

When I first got in to craft I thought I would never see or even come close to DL, Darkness, Westy 12, Pliny and other things like that. Thanks to generous BAs I've been able to track them down without giving up an arm and a leg.

Black Tuesday was up there for a bit, but I decided to part with a KH to share the live and lock it down for a special tasting with a buddy. Of course Arbitrator is the man and offered me a BT for local imperial stouts. I'll have to crush his doorstep as a thank you.

Now, the whale hunt is focused on things like Gratitude, Loons, and Upland sours. That's some stuff that I don't have the ammo to lock down.

32. lucas1801

lucas1801 Apr 5, 2012 Massachusetts

Damn dude that is a lot of Abyss!! Awesome beer though.

33. SteelersX

SteelersX Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Mine was Arctic Devil. Had the hardest time trading for this beer
    It was worth the wait. I loved it.

34. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Feb 19, 2011 Nevada
    Beer Trader

King Henry over here.

While it was the best beer of the night that we opened, an '02 JW Lees and a Barrel Roll Hammerhead were nipping at the Kings tail.

35. wingedeel

wingedeel Nov 17, 2005 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Westvleteren 12 in 1984, the first of many trades through the years with a true gentleman from Belgium who has since passed away. Not a whale now perhaps, but certainly was in the mid 80's. Still my #1 beer.

36. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

2007 Blushing Monk. I was 20 when it was released and by the time I knew what it was, it was long gone. I ended up getting one last year and opened it at Dark Lord Day. It was far superior to the 2011 and a different beer altogether. That beer aged gracefully.

37. unibroue4ever

unibroue4ever Oct 20, 2010 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Exact same thing for me. I was expecting so much and...well it was a sweet mess...

gpawned likes this.
  38. pmoney

pmoney Apr 15, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Back in 2009 when I started getting serious about craft beer, my personal white whale was Dark Lord. If only I knew then what I know now....

tut2528 and Kaydogg like this.
  39. founder26

founder26 Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

First one had last night was a king henry, shared it with michpaul and I think that was his first whale.

40. azaaron

azaaron Mar 11, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Mine was a 2009 Dark Lord that I got at Dark Lord Day. Now I am working on building enough of a cellar to slay my new whale...Blaeber

aasher likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe