Sleeping Giant Contract Brewery Revives Boulder Beer Brand In Distribution

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Bitterbill, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,913) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

DENVER, CO— Sleeping Giant, the first dedicated contract brewing company in the Western United States, announced today a new partnership with Boulder Beer Company that keeps Boulder beers in distribution without interruption. Sleeping Giant will be manufacturing Boulder’s brands and taking over distribution and marketing of the Boulder-based institution’s beers in the marketplace.

This news comes after Boulder Beer’s announcement in October 2019 to discontinue its widespread distribution and operate solely as a brewpub. This is still Boulder’s plan, with the new addition of Sleeping Giant as a manufacturing, sales, and marketing partner. Sleeping Giant approached Boulder after this announcement to discuss possibilities, and the two breweries quickly worked together to keep Boulder’s brands on shelves.

Going forward, Boulder Beer Shake, Mojo, Buffalo Gold, Hazed & Infused, Spaceman, and Due East will be brewed and packaged at Sleeping Giant, where state-of-the-art lab and brewing equipment will ensure the quality and consistency of Boulder’s brands and this 40-year-old namesake of Colorado beer.

“This is an exciting time for Boulder Beer,” says Gina Day, Boulder Beer Company Owner. “We are thrilled to have the brand continue its legacy and to continue to supply our loyal customers through retail markets.”

“For Sleeping Giant, this partnership was an amazing opportunity on multiple levels,” adds Matthew Osterman, President & Founder of Sleeping Giant. “We couldn’t be more proud to work with such an iconic brand, the first craft brewery in Colorado. Further, our new relationship will allow Sleeping Giant to better understand the distribution, sales, and marketing side of the business. Developing this expertise will allow us to assist our contract brewing clients, and provide yet another value-add service to our portfolio.

ABOUT SLEEPING GIANT BREWING COMPANY

Sleeping Giant is the first dedicated contract brewing company in the Western United States. Catering to the craft beer community, Sleeping Giant offers a cutting-edge QA/QC program, approachable brew lengths, a variety of packaging options, and personalized customer service that sets it apart. Since the company was founded in 2015, it has supported the brewing and packaging needs of dozens of breweries across the country and grown to be Colorado's fourth largest independent craft brewery. Sleeping Giant made the 2019 INC 500 list and was also named a Colorado Companies to Watch this year. Learn more at http://www.sleepinggiantbrewing.com

ABOUT BOULDER BEER COMPANY

Founded in 1979, Boulder Beer Company has been a pioneer in the craft brewing industry for 40 years. From their early days brewing in “The Goatshed” north of Boulder, to brewing and packaging for a regional audience out of their European-style brewhouse on Wilderness Place, to their recent move to scale down and focus on their brewpub operation, to now partnering with their friends at Sleeping Giant to keep the brands alive at the retail level, Boulder Beer’s passion for innovation and sustainability has seen them to their milestone 40th Anniversary and will continue their legacy in Boulder and the craft beer industry for years to come. For more information on Boulder Beer Company, https://boulderbeer.com.

###

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,251) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

3. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I hadn't heard of them before as well. It appears to be a fine business plan except, imho, why not draw more attention to themselves? Weldwerks, Uberbrew? Not exactly bottom shelf beers to be contract brewing.

JayWhitson and sharpski like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

Society

Perhaps because of this topic which was mentioned in the above linked article:

“Some breweries don’t want to admit that they brew their beer there. They hide behind a closed door, and that stinks, because Sleeping Giant is really good at what they do, and they don’t get the credit,” Fisher adds."

Cheers!

5. Bitterbill

Society Trader

It does stink. Well, at least I let the cat out of the bag in a small way on BA. :wink:

6. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, as long as their direct customer base (i.e., breweries) are aware of them and their capabilities that is genuinely the important thing. As beer consumers all we really know is the name of the brewery (e.g., Weldwerks, Boulder,...) and maybe there is some indication on the packing of "Denver" somewhere on the can.

I have never had a Weldwerks beer (have you?) but after reading this article I wouldn't mind where it was brewed (Greeley vs. Denver).

Cheers!

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Just Juicy Bits and that was phenomenal imho.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

Society

Bitterbill likes this.
  9. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I am always impressed with peeps who homebrew with all the great beers out there. Kudos!

Jack's Mighty IPA must be tastier than Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty IPA though the latter is quite good for a session IPA.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  10. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (278) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

They brewed and distributed for a local brewery, Bosque, for their albuquerque and NM market while they were expanding their own brew house. They came close but something was always missing with those larger contract brewed batches.

If people are already passing on boulder beers brewed from the source, I don’t see this improving things much. Unless prices drop or something.

officerbill and Bitterbill like this.
  11. Bitterbill

Society Trader

If they are able to increase distribution, I reckon that I wouldn't mind seeing Hazed and Infused again.

12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,361) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Sleeping giant has brewed for all sorts of locals at different times. @Domingo may be able to shed more light on the situation.

Bitterbill and JackHorzempa like this.
  13. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (386) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

But they aren't making any Juicy Bits anymore, right? For a pretty good while now, I thought. It's been all in-house for Weldwerks for at least all of 2019, I thought.

But their (Sleeping Giant's) real crowning glory I've always thought is Station 26 Juicy Banger. Just my opinion though.

Bitterbill, denver10 and SFACRKnight like this.
  14. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (128) Feb 25, 2013 California

whoah, they brought back Buffalo Gold. How many years was that out of production? Decades?

Ranbot and Bitterbill like this.
  15. considerbeer

considerbeer Initiate (37) Dec 15, 2016 Colorado

I definitely chortled at this marketing language.

There has already been a huge interruption. In fact, there’s no room for more beer around here, so retailers jumped at the chance to remove 5+ SKUs of a middling brand in favor of shelf space for new and emerging breweries. I’m not so sure the good stores are going to welcome Boulder Beer back with open arms.

Bitterbill likes this.
  16. considerbeer

Are you thinking of a different beer? Buffalo Gold has been in production for years and years.

17. considerbeer

I don’t think Sleeping Giant ever brewed Juicy Bits. I believe it was the Coffee Coconut Stout, Alpha Bits, and maybe the Vienna?

Domingo and Bitterbill like this.
  18. VitisVinifera

I haven't seen it since the late 90's.......then again that's when I moved to California, but I do go back to Colorado frequently and haven't seen it there either this entire time.

Bitterbill likes this.
  19. considerbeer

I think they’ve canned it for about five years, but no idea about how long before that they started bottling it.

Bitterbill likes this.
  20. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,597) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Seems like a bit of a hail mary, but an interesting play here.

On my end, I have never been a Boulder Beer drinker. This certainly does not change anything.

Bitterbill likes this.
  21. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,627) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Sleeping Giant brews for a lot of people that aren't necessarily in CO and many don't distro here. In CO I think their most high profile client is Station 26. They brewed a few items for Weldwerks for a little while, but they don't anymore. That was right before Weldwerks started going crazy with the SKU's, so it was probably a strategic thing.

As far as Boulder goes, I welcome being able to continue buying Hazed & Infused and Shake. Hazed is/was basically the original American Session IPA and it's still easily my favorite. Shake is a good candy beer that can be had for cheap almost anywhere. I couldn't care less about their other beers. They aren't bad, but they aren't any better or cheaper than dozens of comparable beers.

22. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Champion (896) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

Mark, the former head brewer for Überbrew, told us they could make their beer even better than they could. He’d constantly be checking their cans of Canü against the in-house draft version, and be excited if he thought he was making it as well as they were.

Bitterbill and JackHorzempa like this.
  23. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (393) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

From Yahoo (https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/one-americas-oldest-craft-breweries-210657244.html)
    they (Sleeping Giant) would be responsible for the brewing, packaging, shipping, distribution, sales and marketing of our core brands for the retail market both on- and off-premise,"

From Beerbound (https://www.brewbound.com/news/boul...eping-giant-to-brew-and-distribute-core-beers)
    Sleeping Giant has already begun production of Boulder’s Shake chocolate porter, Mojo IPA, Buffalo Gold golden ale and Hazed and Infused pale ale. Spaceman double IPA and Due East New England-style IPA will be added to the production in the near future.

Sleeping Giant will sell Boulder Beer offerings to its existing wholesalers.”

It looks like the only connection Boulder Beer Company will have with Boulder brand beer is the recipes.

Serious question, how much involvement is needed for a brewery to be considered a brewery?

24. VitisVinifera

Back in the mid 90's it was Pale Ale, Amber, Porter, Stout, and Buffalo Gold, all in 6ers.