Small Business Saturday. Who are you supporting?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by supercolter, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supercolter

supercolter (0) Apr 19, 2006 Wisconsin
    Trader

Folks-

In the wake of Black Friday pandemonium, we find ourselves with the opportunity to support "Small Business Saturday". https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/Shop-Small/

This is a reminder to support your local small business craft beer establishment tomorrow.... also let's post up where we'll be shopping. Hopefully, it will encourage fellow BAs in the industry to continue doing what their doing to provide us micro/craft beer at a local level.

I'll likely hit up Nova in Hudson, WI and possibly Top Ten Liquors in Woodbury, MN.

So, where ya shopping at?

Cheers- Jeff

yamar68 likes this.
  2. gatornation

gatornation (1,640) Apr 18, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

Nova in Hudson is a great store i will shop @ Lyndale Liquors in SW Minneapolis blocks from my house

supercolter and yamar68 like this.
  3. supercolter

Trader

Love Lyndale Liquors in Minneapolis- so close to my work.

gatornation likes this.
  4. ndepriest

ndepriest (0) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

Five Points Bottle Shop in Athens, GA. It's one of best (if not the best) bottle shops I've been too and it's five minutes from my house.

5. TrappistJohnMD

TrappistJohnMD (0) Nov 24, 2011 Mississippi

Boo's in Columbus, GA.

6. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

There are no small businesses in my area that sell beer. :slight_frown:

7. digita7693

digita7693 (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

Since moving to Portland it seems that it is "Small Business Saturday" 365 days a year.

8. kagent777

kagent777 (0) Dec 6, 2009 Utah

I will be headed to Epic and Utah Brewers Co-op (Wasatch and Squatters) here in SLC before friends are coming over for a board game day! In for a treat.

Scott

9. Northlax3

Northlax3 (0) Aug 19, 2012 New Jersey

Im going to a local homebrew supply store to start up homebrewing! Brewer's Apprentice is the place, in Freehold, NJ. Very excited :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

franklinn likes this.
  10. match1112

match1112 (0) Mar 2, 2011 Illinois

local brew pub, Destihl.

11. smokinoak

smokinoak (0) Oct 21, 2011 Florida

Making a run to Cigar City

12. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly (0) Dec 15, 2006 New York

Today just happens to be my birthday so we will be going to a local brew pub to enjoy some food and beer...

Black Forest Brew Haus

I will be drinking their Robust Rye Porter and Barleywine this evening, cheers!

13. gatornation

gatornation (1,640) Apr 18, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

Happy B-Day Brother

Bitterbill likes this.
  14. match1112

match1112 (0) Mar 2, 2011 Illinois

Happy birthday!

15. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly (0) Dec 15, 2006 New York

Thank you(s)!

match1112 and Bitterbill like this.
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill (0) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I thought New Yorkers would type it as...youse.:rolling_eyes:

17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill (0) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I'm gonna drink a few brews at The Wonder Bar here. Their Doppelbock should still be on tap.

18. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener (0) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois

I love how it's American Express a massive business that is behind this, who also profits tons from black friday and big business. All the sponsors are massive businesses as well. That said it's still a good cause and I always support my local companies, today it will be Two Brothers. However I will pay them with cash to prevent American Express from taking the 3.25% from Two Brothers. This is the percent they earn on each transaction from the small (and large) business' who accept their cards. Just remember when you use American Express at a small business Amex is earning 3.25% and if you use another credit it's closer to 2%. Pay cash or use a debit card to save your local business up to 3.25%.

19. callmeishmALE

callmeishmALE (0) Dec 30, 2010 Colorado

Like others, happy birthday man!!

20. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano (395) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

I live here guys...

[​IMG]

Collingswood New Jersey is 7 miles to downtown Philadephia and sadly is a dry town. We have about 14,000 people who live here. And for giggles we are a town that has a conservative and LBGT movement right in town, which works somehow! From this photo, I live two blocks off the main road called Haddon Ave.

Our town prides ourselves in having more events, doing more for the community then any township around. We have one of the best Farmer's Markets in Southern Jersey and I live only ONE block from it!

Today I supported the Grooveground a local coffee house and had lunch at El Sitio, one of the best Ecuadoran places I have ever been to. My wife and I have visited here 21 times so far and the food is top notch EVERYTIME!

The closet liquor store is Cook's Liquor, and even though Jay the owner does not bring in all the craft he wants to, he does bring in some gems (BCBS, Frangelic Mountain, Founders, to name a few)

Yes, I support my local business with literally every last penny I make every week! :grinning:

21. supercolter

Trader

Completely agree and I appreciate you bringing this up. This thread was in no way meant to pimp Amex. I don't personally own their card and likely never will have a reason to. The saving graces of having them involved are the promotional TV and "free" advertising that small business accounts can get free online advertising through them (as well as the marketing signage to post up and create some continuity surrounding the cause). This pretty cool considering many of these companies may not be able to afford the flashy ads of their big competitors. That said, I hope the idea of Small Business Saturday is one day larger than Black Friday and NO ONE but the involved companies need to drive the bus. I encourage all to support the cause for purposes of patronage and nothing more.

Cheers- Jeff

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  22. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 (0) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

Happy Birthday.

23. flanneltrees804

flanneltrees804 (0) Aug 8, 2010 Illinois

Amex has also generously obliged to give a $25 credit to registered Amex card holders if they spend $25 or more at a small business. Really cool of them to do that but I'm pretty sure alcohol, as well as other purchases, are not eligible for this deal... heard it on the news, looking for a link but can't find one.

24. 12owls

12owls (0) Jan 8, 2012 California

that credit/debit thing sucks, paying cash is always cooler anywas, especialy at "stone liquor" in west covina calif. they have over 400+ craft beers. and i found them on facebook, withing walking distance from my place..im there!

25. wonderbread23

wonderbread23 (0) Aug 4, 2009 New York

Nope, it's good on alcohol. Just has to be a purchase over $25 at a qualified merchant. I spent $30 at Bierkraft today, one of the listed merchants. You register your card, find a merchant on their map, and then spend at least $25. Simple enough. Here are the terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/Shop-Small/offerterms

26. darknova306

darknova306 (0) Jan 13, 2005 New York

My only purchases on Black Friday and the subsequent weekend are beer. This year that was at Bandwagon Brewpub next to the Ithaca Commons. Good people, good beer, and all food and beer ingredients sourced as locally as possible. I'd say that counts for supporting small local business. Cheers!

27. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt (1,530) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Hoppy Beerthday Joey!

28. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt (1,530) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I'll be supporting my local breweries and a couple of local bars, all of which are small businesses.

29. xnicknj

xnicknj (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

went to kane brewery with a bunch of people and brought back some growlers and glassware after a few flights

30. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg (290) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

I love this concept, and I had fun supporting my locals today:
    Bottles from Hill Farmstead, smoked trout from Per's, and elderberry cordial from Caledonia Spirits - all in Greensboro.
    Lunch & beers at Crop Bistro, and blue cheese-chocolate truffles from Laughing Moon in Stowe (so dead right now!)
    A beer each at Blackback and Prohibition Pig in Waterbury.
    ...serious Xmas shopping doesn't start until December for this girl!

31. lucasj82

lucasj82 (0) Aug 13, 2009 Indiana

Bought two bottles of Ro Shampo from Figure 8 brewing yesterday. By far their best offering.

32. beerloserLI

beerloserLI (705) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

Long Ireland brewery, Riverhead NY. No encouragement or special day needed. Just my weekly visit.

33. booyahachieved3

booyahachieved3 (0) Sep 5, 2012 Kansas

I missed the BCBS shipment here in KC as I was out of town with the lady for Thanksgiving until today. Still wanted to support the locals so I picked up some FBS for a friend that watched my dog and lo and behold there was one 4 pack of BCBS sitting on the shelf. Worked out awesome!

34. fubar71478

fubar71478 (0) Sep 11, 2005 Massachusetts

35. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy (615) Feb 6, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

Supported the two best local small business craft beer retailers, Downtown Produce & The Mansion with a fair amount of coinage.

36. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 (0) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

I'd say I supported the Trolley Car Diner, but we all know they supported me today :wink:

37. kingofhop

kingofhop (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

What is local? Across the street? Same city? Same county? Same state?

I bought Sierra Nevada today, from California, which is slightly more than a hop, skip and a jump from Oklahoma. They're American. Local enuff for me.

5thOhio likes this.
  38. bullywee

bullywee (0) May 26, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Foothills Brewing and Krankies Coffee in Winston-Salem and as usual Bestway Grocery in the LP Grensboro NC

39. Lutter

Lutter (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

Picked up Stone Mint Chocolate, Santa Fe Java Stout (6-pack), and Sierra Nevada Narwhal at Live Oak Market today in South Austin, Texas. The owner of the store was WELL aware of the deal going on and actually cheered me on for using my $25 for craft beer, lol.

Whomever said that you can't use this on alcohol must be going to a fancy local store.The small card readers these guys use don't accept anything but the total amount, which is sent to AmEx. He doesn't even use barcodes, just keys in the price and not what the item is. Most of our locally-owned convenience stores are like this.

40. Localdrinklax

Localdrinklax (0) Jul 23, 2010 Wisconsin

The Side Note, brand new local bottle shop, good selection! Also Apple Village, great minnesota beers I can't find in Wisconsin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.