Smuttynose Brewing CEO Departs, Owner/Manager of Runnymede Investments Accused of Rape

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, May 10, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,565) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

More: https://www.brewbound.com/news/smuttynose-brewing-ceo-departs

chrismattlin and Roguer like this.
  2. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (515) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

And that's the end of Smuttynose. Disgusting

IPAExpert69, JohnnyHopps and mambossa like this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,006) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Do you really think this change of CEO = the end of Smuttynose?

Cheers!

4. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,985) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

I don't see where the two things are connected, except by timing.

TrojanRB and LarryV like this.
  5. EnronCFO

I think one of the owners of a formerly beloved brand committing rape could be.

6. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (323) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I'd say it's a bad sign for an already troubled brewery.

Damian, SunDevilBeer, Ranbot and 4 others like this.
  7. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (99) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Breweries have closed for less (Reckless, Council, etc.)

8. rgordon

rgordon Savant (930) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

All of this is just a really sad story.

9. beertunes

Trader

Well, Melvin still exists.......

10. Beer_Stan

Trader

A fact that surprises me to this day

11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,565) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Sounds very similar to the downfall of the C85 group in Casper. Only difference is that the "guy" was convicted of the same with a minor.

12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,006) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I certainly would not argue it is a 'good sign' but the end of a business?

I suppose we should all monitor this situation and see what happens.

Cheers!

13. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,814) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Haven't bought Smuttynose in a long time. Looks like that's not changing anytime soon.

Blueribbon666 and mambossa like this.
  14. muchloveforhops3

muchloveforhops3 Champion (883) Apr 5, 2009 Oregon
    Society

I had no idea that Council closed. Bummer for sure- I thought they made some pretty solid brews!

rodbeermunch likes this.
  15. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (369) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

I mean, we all saw what happened to Actual Brewing. I don’t see how different it can be for a larger scale brewery. It could be quite hard to bounce back from this for Smuttynose.

16. Beer_Stan

Trader

It's what happens when you don't make sound business choices in a saturated market or let your personal feelings bleed into your business, which can be polarizing and take away from what many agree was very good beer.

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  17. muchloveforhops3

Society

I tried to find some specifics on what happened, but came up short (other than the poor business decisions). Was there some sort of misconduct?

18. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (802) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Breweries should be interested in finding reasons for folks to want to purchase their beer as opposed to reasons to go other places. As you have alluded on other threads, there are just too many options.

Between stale product offerings, completely unexciting marketing, bankruptcy, more leadership changes and now an administrator in your restructuring accused of rape, it seems like the chips are falling very unfavorably. Not sure how widespread this gets from a media perspective but Smuttynose seems to have the "proverbial fork" stuck in them.

Too bad for what was one of the earlier folks in the game.

#18 surfcaster, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
  19. Beer_Stan

Trader

There was a since deleted Facebook rant from Curtis of Council that was anti gay and insensitive and I feel it hurt them in the long run. It wasn't the circus that Reckless' implosion was but I think it hit them in the pockets.

20. beertunes

Trader

Wait, "marketing", exciting or otherwise, actually guides you in your conscience decision making process?

21. surfcaster

Society Trader

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not here. And I guess you were referring to conscious decision making.

A lot of what goes into marketing and branding is sub-conscious. So NO, not guiding my conscious decision making.

I do think places that effectively market/advertise/brand their product will have a better chance of succeeding than those that do it poorly. Smuttynose went from something you heard of to near anonymity in these parts. VERY QUICKLY.

So YES if affecting overall purchasing.

22. beertunes

Trader

Yes, mis-spelled on my part. But, doesn't being aware of marketing eliminate, or at least reduce, its effectiveness?

My point was: are you (or anyone) knowingly and willing not buying a product because their branding and marketing is boring? Russian River still seems to sell all the PtE they can make, despite the hatred of the label ("branding").

If so, that is some shallow ass shit. We can love or hate a given marketing scheme, font, label, "brand", whatever, but if purchasing decisions are based on the outside of a package, and not the inside, that is on the individual, not the company.

drtth and sharpski like this.
  23. muchloveforhops3

Society

Bummer to hear that- I had no idea. Yeah, I'm sure it had some negative implications on the business, in addition to the financial aspect. It's sad when businesses don't handle things professionally, especially when it comes to more sensitive matters.

Beer_Stan likes this.
  24. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (94) May 1, 2017 Ohio

What happened within Melvin?

25. Beer_Stan

Trader

26. beertunes

Trader

And, the just have a long and established of, let's just say, not appreciating women. Ask how many female employees get to go GABF on the company time. Girls not welcome on the brobus.

27. rgordon

rgordon Savant (930) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

For one thing, Smuttynose in these parts was marketed by a wholesale company, without official advertising, and relying on reputation on-line and by travel .These were the days of instant acquisition of anything new and simply seeing how it floated through the market. Finestkind was eye-opening, Robust Porter was fabulous, and Old Brown Dog would please any type of crowd. Shoals Pale Ale was a truly authentic English style ale. Smuttynose was ahead of the times, but faltered for reasons that are beyond my knowledge. The beers were always very nice and sold well until beers from everywhere simply flooded the market. The losers included Green Flash, Ballast Point, Boulder and many others. It's like the Boot Hill of brewery life and death and the history of this business.

DBosco, beertunes, SABERG and 3 others like this.
  28. surfcaster

Society Trader

Thanks for the great insight on NC beers and distro. I miss most of these guys you mentioned. Especially the OG WCIPA. I feel sorry for them.

29. pbrian

pbrian Defender (645) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

rodbeermunch likes this.
  30. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,851) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Well, a sexual harassment lawsuit could put a dent in the budget, right?

beertunes likes this.
  31. Beer_Stan

Trader

And a stupidly insensitive label shouldnt either (reckless) but it was the PR downfall, the stupidity and twisting of the knife, that I would blame it on. The "where did Melvin touch you" page that was put up was poorly timed, not funny, and especially in poor taste after the allegations which over time probably would have gone away if just left alone.

32. pbrian

The way I read it was that web page was up before the incident happened and taken down afterward it happened. But yeah, definitely some poor judgement and maybe they do have a reputation of brohood, I'm just saying those instances aren't warrant the closing of a good brewery. If so, the metoo movement has gone too far.

Edit: Ok, I just read the comments, seems this wasn't just an employee, it was the co-owner. And if the rest of the comments are half true about the level bro culture, then maybe they are a bunch of male-entitled douche-bags.

33. beertunes

Trader

And, let's not forget the part where they just walked into a neighboring brewery with a sixer of their own beer, and started cracking them open. Several violations of WSLCB laws right there, and was what led to the sexual assault.

TheDoctor likes this.
  34. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,331) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Pretty poor journalism on brewbound’s part....I don’t see any connection between the CEO departing and a member of the investment company being charged with sexual assault.

The article certainly doesn’t do anything to connect the dots....seems totally unrelated

rodbeermunch likes this.
  35. EnronCFO

It’s not a traditional investment firm. It’s the kids and grandkids of a wealthy family that created an investment office. And if I recall, the guy accused of rape was the one that was championing the Smutty investment. Entirely possible the CEO departure was unrelated, but I know I wouldn’t stick around too long if the owner of my company was on trial for rape and generally a scumbag.

Ranbot and drtth like this.
  36. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Champion (865) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Society Trader

beertunes likes this.
  37. pbrian

Why the F**k would the owner of a brewery even bring his beer to another brewery unless it was as a gift to share with the other owner? That right there is just uncool, let alone the real very uncool part of the story.

38. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,033) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

So much for the presumption of innocence ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That being said though, this definitely isn't a good look on a company that already has enough problems of its own. Furthermore I haven't purchased any Smuttynose products since they killed off Portsmouth Lager, so this does not affect my purchasing habits whatsoever. Add to the fact that fact they're still trying to jump on that Haze Craze Train makes them all the more irrelevent in my eyes. What a pathetic, sad fall from grace.

rodbeermunch likes this.
  39. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Zealot (522) Jul 29, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society

Agree - They could be leaning into their identity instead of jumping on the Haze bandwagon. Not to say a brewery in New England of their size 'shouldn't' make a NE IPA, but that's not why people are (were?) buying Smuttynose.

They've got a great location, cool cred/history. Heck, remember when Portsmouth Brewery (formerly owned by the same person as Smutty) had the first real "line up for this" type beer with 'Kate The Great'? There were probably others, but its the first one I remember on the East coast.

40. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,033) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Constantly missing out on Kate might be my biggest regret of my beer drinking "career"