Snobby beer reviewers on Youtube

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Jul 3, 2017.

1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (262) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

I talked about this yesterday, but I've noticed a trend of a lot of these guys starting to just shit on everything just because it's not a whale.

Beer Geek Nation's review of the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp (which I'm enjoying) is a perfect example. He just doesn't even give the beers a fair shake right off the bat. The set is automatically bad because it's Sierra Nevada and the beers aren't super super fresh.

I had the IPA's out of them and they were fine at about 2 months. I guess maybe my pallet isn't as refined as his? To me this sounds like a Pitchfork Media music snob reviewing a mainstream album and shitting all over it because the band isn't indie enough.

Gemini6, albertq17, yossle and 13 others like this.
  2. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Meyvn (1,335) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Something tells me this is all he has.

3. cmiller4642

Beer Trader

He should change his name to Beer Snob Nation. Give it a watch and just watch his facial expressions and the tone of his voice when talking about the beer. It's almost like "I'm too good for this beer because I drink whales all the time". I loved the comment he made after the Boneyard Double IPA "It's alright but it has the Sierra Nevada yeast strain"

One of the most pretentious beer "reviews" I've seen on Youtube

#3 cmiller4642, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  4. tolar111

tolar111 Disciple (375) Aug 17, 2008 New York

YouTube voice, it's a thing. Wonder if he does unboxing videos as well.
    Another guy I can't stand is Chad'z, don't post his videos, instant delete.

5. PatrickCT

Beer Trader

I have seen his YouTube reviews before. He use to be big in to Belgian beers. Also, he didn't use to be so out of breath.
    If I had to guess, in his mind he thinks he is doing us a favor by reviewing the "abomination" that is Sierra Nevada Beer Camp.

Tdizzle and cmiller4642 like this.
  6. cmiller4642

Beer Trader

I've never had a Tree House beer, and I'm sure I would love to try Julius or something because I love IPA's, but it wouldn't make me shit on Sierra Nevada. I've had Zombie Dust, KBS, top Ohio brews like Hop Juju and Bodhi but I'm still enjoying the Beer Camp set.

Some people are just snobs and some people have fun with drinking beer I guess.

hophugger, Hayden34, Tdizzle and 9 others like this.
  7. PatrickCT

Beer Trader

I hear you. I am the later of the two.

8. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,468) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

That attitude is boring and I'm too busy to waste time on boring stuff.

9. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Champion (820) Feb 5, 2014 Texas

I'm too busy drinking beer to watch YouTube videos of guys drinking beer and shitting all over it because it's not a whale..

10. bostonvert

bostonvert Initiate (134) Feb 24, 2017 Belgium
    Beer Trader

My god this guy is annoying and looks so sad while having 12 beers in front of him. I don't really get the whole beer review videos thing. Do other BA members actually watch their stuff? Seems like a waste of time.

11. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (705) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Let's see.....OK, never mind.

12. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (489) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Watching other people drink beer is a concept I don't get.

13. cmiller4642

Beer Trader

I just thought it was funny to see his reactions to Sierra Nevada beers (which he obviously sees as inferior)

hophugger likes this.
  14. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Zealot (505) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia

Used to watch Beer Geek Nation but I soon realized this dude was just pompous. Not to mention, I used to try and predict his review because he was saying almost the exact same thing in just about every video depending on style.

BREWERY - ASDFGHJKL IPA
    *Sips* "OH YEAH. Yep. That's a west coast style ipa. *Breathes* Huge grapefruit, citrus, pine needles, pineapples. Classic."

I understand the same hops on different beers are going to taste similar but after hundreds of IPA review videos it's just your not giving me any info I wouldnt have already been able to deduce.

SLewis, hophugger, DaverCS and 12 others like this.
  15. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,252) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

It's just makes me want a beer haha.

16. JamFuel

JamFuel Meyvn (1,188) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden

So he pours all the beers at the same time, takes one sip, comes up with his verdict and then goes right at the next one, no time between, no palate cleanser, not even a sip if water? Cool, bro.

17. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,092) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Can't say as I spend a lot of time checking out beer reviews and reviewers on YouTube any more. Most of them I've checked are not snobs who think they a better than us but people who seem to me to be insecure and full of self-puffery so they can feel good about themselves by keeping track of how many views and comments they can collect. So rhe serious, capable ones I've found pretty much get lost in all the noise. Especially when I can find good written reviews on here done by people with good judgement.

Since I can easily find and read ten good reviews here in less time than it takes to watch a bad video...

18. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,262) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Dude has a bad attitude toward S/N for sure, I loved the eye rolling, and saying "not bad". Guy strikes me a pretentious d-bag. And he didn't even have a cracker or a sip of water in between samples, I think that would give a truer taste when reviewing

19. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Initiate (185) Jul 21, 2013 Alabama
    Beer Trader

I used to watch Beer Geek Nation as well but the guy's reviews all sound the same like @BrewsOverHoes mentioned. It's always *big gulping sound caught on the microphone* "Ok yeah, big pop of bitterness, grapefruit..."

After watching about 4 reviews I got tired of hearing that dude swallow his spit while talking and the big gulping sound when he drank any beer. Not to mention his pretentious attitude towards Sierra Nevada or any IPA that isn't less than a week old.

I like Darwin's Beer Reviews and I used to really like Better Beer Authority which quit making videos a few years back.

20. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Zealot (505) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia

That damn gulp!

21. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (441) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

All of you who clicked on that video are supporting the buffoon, albeit in a small way.

Don't click.

Bingo. YouTube beer reviews are only useful for the literacy-challenged [which should not apply to any of us here using a text-based forum].

22. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Aspirant (280) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Nothing about that video stood out to me about him sandbagging SN. I think everyone has legitimate beef when the beer they seek gets released three months after canning/bottling. He described what he was tasting, he didn't load it with negatives. Not sure why OP is falling out over someone not feeling the same way he does about beer camp. I agree with the reviewer- these beers are interesting, a unique idea, but I sure as hell wouldn't have bought a six pack of any of them. Matter of fact, I think the only reason some of these aren't getting panned more is because they have reputable brewers attached to them.

23. foundersasap

foundersasap Aspirant (258) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Not informative in any way. I enjoyed the pack and paid $22, not bad. I've had SNPA at 5 months old, no drop off at all. If I'm looking for fresh, I'll just head to the brewery.

24. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Disciple (366) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

BGN has had an axe to grind with SN for a while. He once posted a video railing about their reliance on whole cone hops, and his review of a prev year's Beer Camp was less than inspiring. He wasn't going into this review with a good attitude about SN or Beer Camp at all.

25. seth27

seth27 Initiate (152) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I like Chris's (beer geek nation) reviews in general, but I don't know why he even bothers reviewing Sierra Nevada. Dude, we all know you're going to shit all over it, so just do something different.

26. MikeP64

MikeP64 Aspirant (203) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

It's not bad...It's not bad...It's not bad....great review.

Gemini6, Badfish, swolepeer and 2 others like this.
  27. ovaltine

ovaltine Meyvn (1,439) Apr 6, 2010 Texas
    Supporter Beer Trader

Can someone clarify for me if the "Bottled On/Canned On" dates in the set disturb him, please?

TIA.

His thoughts do not mirror mine on the quality of the beers proffered by SN in this adventurous set.

VABA likes this.
  28. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (375) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Online consumer reviews often seem implicitly to promote the attitude that an outstanding example of beer (or whatever else) makes a merely excellent example unworthy of consideration. Late-capitalist connoisseurship will end us all.

(This post has been curated at great expense.)

mikeinportc and ShawnoftheD3ad like this.
  29. redrocker

redrocker Initiate (123) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I think it may be time for the BGN guy to see a doctor. I mean when you are out of breath sampling beers, there may be something wrong....just saying.

30. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,974) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

It certainly does appear that Chris Steltz has a bias against Sierra Nevada. To use a legal term he should recuse himself from reviewing Sierra Nevada related beers.

I am personally not a fan of collaboratively brewed beers since from my personal experience I have had plenty of mediocre collaboratively brewed beers. I wonder if this is because of the old adage: “too many cooks spoil the broth” sort of thing.

Cheers!

31. Rcruz9230

Rcruz9230 Initiate (158) Aug 17, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Never cared much for beer reviews i dont have any expectations im just grateful i can drink what others have put work into

32. Eduk8traz

Eduk8traz Initiate (173) Nov 13, 2010 Arizona

I enjoy watching BGN. While I don't always agree with Chris I find that many of his reviews are on point.

33. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Aspirant (280) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

That is so last year. These days the proper thing to do in this situation is for him to buy a minority stake in RateBeer....

34. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Disciple (365) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

His reviews of hoppy beers are pretty much useless and since he doesn't like sour beers, the only beers really worth finding out his opinion on are big, malty beers that are probably barrel aged. Out of those beers, anything that gets less than an "A" isn't even worth paying attention to.

The "Oh, yeah" and "right at the front of the tongue" bits always make me giggle.

35. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Zealot (522) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Subscriber

To place yourself in a position to review anything yet be biased and have no ojectivity is ridiculous. It's hard to be fair and objective but when I review a beer that's a style I do t care for I just judge quality foremost.

36. CrimeDog

CrimeDog Aspirant (221) Dec 31, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Darwin is nuts.....he has new reviews posted like every single day - sometimes 2x a day....i know he might sip and spit but regardless, he must be buzzed like every day...

VABA and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  37. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Savant (947) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

38. imbibehour

imbibehour Poo-Bah (6,147) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Supporter Subscriber

Well once again it's another beer Ytubing thread.

Goddard had it best simply saying, that the only way to criticize another film, was to make another movie.

Simply put people have opinions and if you don't like them, particularly on the Internet, you don't have to listen to them it's a simple as that.

Chris mentioned I believe he was taking a break (burned out, bored, no time, ? not sure) but looks like he is back at it again.

Other BA users on here have done reviews myself included. In the end I found the scene drastically changing, and discovering people were obsessed with beers I wasn't going to jump through hoops to bother with. There have been some highlights though, but now I don't have time. There's always the chance I'll go back to spirits and particularly bourbon which is how I started my channel.

You have to realize I have seen and incredible amount of said/written really I mean... REALLY dumb shit said about beer. But I don't get upset about it.

In hindsight I seem to also remember one user on Ytube whose user handle was SnobbyBeer or something like that, so they are out there :wink:

Tread carefully, or just blaze your own path and not care what others think.

I also need to get the beer camp someday, but I got enough beer to crack into right now. :wink:

39. CommanderKeen

CommanderKeen Initiate (114) May 16, 2017 Texas

I think (qualifier, I don't watch beer reviews. I watch scotch whisky reviews) it has something to do with the fact they can get stuff other people can't get and want to live vicariously through other people.

For me, as someone who watches scotch whisky reviews, it would be something along the lines of "I have a set budget and want the most bang for my buck". I watch a guy called ralfystuff on youtube because I trust his scotch reviews and will pay for something he describes if it fits into my flavor profile and won't buy something if it doesn't. That way I'm not shelling out thousands of dollars on scotch I may not like.

Beer isn't that expensive, so I don't see a need to personally watch beer reviews. I'll just try it. Not that much of a dent in my pocket either way.

mikeinportc and SovietBillCosby like this.
  40. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Zealot (527) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Mr. "it's not bad". There is a pretentiousness that is real off putting w this dude's review style. He's got a point though w/ the age/distro issue w/the Base Camp 12 packs.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.