So. CA "Industrial Park" Breweries compared to the rest of the US

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colty42

colty42 Initiate (97) Nov 14, 2011 District of Columbia

My girlfriend and I visited the Devil's Backbone brewpub while on a weekend trip to Shenandoah National Park, and passed by the other two on our way, not even knowing they were there until we passed by. We'd love to go back, both because the area is beautiful and to try those other two places.

beerme85 and ipas-for-life like this.
  2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,742) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Looks like they've remodeled since the last time I was there. The neighborhood isn't at all sketchy (it's not too far from Armory Square, the big bar/nightclub area). And it's an actual tasting room, where you go have a couple samples, then buy some beer to go, as opposed to the tasting rooms that actually serve as a bar/pub, but the brewery calls it a tasting room to get around various laws (I think we need another name for that type of tasting room). Did Middle Ages still have their cats running around?

mborden likes this.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,774) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Most of Denver's small breweries are going the industrial park route. For that matter, even larger ones like Avery got started that way. Still, we have larger spots like New Belgium, FCB, Odell, & Prost, too.

4. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

They had one. It was all over the place haha.

5. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,875) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

One of the things to do when making the business plan is a low $/sq. ft. rent. Weasel Boy has that according to the owners.

6. mborden

mborden Initiate (185) Jan 28, 2009 New York

As a Syracusian, I have to agree. That's one of our NICE downtown neighborhoods haha.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  7. mfrigon

mfrigon Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 New Hampshire

Long trail has a really great set up. The place smuttynose is moving into looks like its going to be really nice as well.

8. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,907) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Agreed. It makes the most sense to set up in a place like that when you're just setting up. Fact is, if you make good beer, people don't care what your building looks like. They will still sit in it and drink.

9. M_C_Hampton

M_C_Hampton Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Georgia

Sweetwater is near a cement plant in ATL. Tastings used to be from a refrigerated truck with taps in the side in the parking lot. Since it was $5 for a glass and 5 beers, aesthetics were mostly poor college students and hippies. Since their expansion a tasting room and artistically painted silos visible from I-85 south have been added. I still miss the good ole days when the economy of their weekly tasting on Thursdays introduced me to craft beer.

Dracarys likes this.
  10. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Agreed. One of the coolest tasting rooms I've been to. Little self guided tour...kinda wish I went in the summer to truly appreciate the location they have though.

[​IMG]

11. Keffa

Keffa Defender (610) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

So I said I'd have to get pictures from the patio:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mural was painted by a local guy and one of the Weasel Boy employees, Jackie Hand. And those plants growing up to that girder are hops, Chinook, Cascade, and Willamette.

Edit: Some barrels from the "stacks":

[​IMG]

12. CoachC

CoachC Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012 Florida

Funky Buddha Brewery, Oakland Park, FL

13. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

A brewery is a factory, so an Industrial park is a good place for one.

14. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,096) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Low rent warehouse space is the obvious choice for a brewery. As far as industrial look, though, you can't get more industrial looking than Keegan Ales which is in a former foundry and still has some of the iron equipment in place,

15. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

After visiting the brewery and brewpub I am more in love with Brewery Vivant than ever.
    Former funeral home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.