1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.

So, Fedex just called me...

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by JJFoodie, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ValleyOfTheSuds

ValleyOfTheSuds Oct 19, 2012 Arizona

Any updates? In the exact same boat at the moment. Don't want to go the "lost package, file a claim" route as my box may not be able to be replaced.

2. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Feb 24, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

This is probably the best idea. Draw it right under the label every time. I think'll I'll start doing that.

gklover1 likes this.
  3. JJFoodie

JJFoodie May 11, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Hope to have a resolution soon...will update ASAP...

4. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston May 1, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Hope it works out. Actually had a box once get damaged during shipment and they wouldn't deliver it. They said they would return it to me but never did. Very odd

5. stealth

stealth Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I ordered some beers online. Fedex said the box was damaged enroute and would send it back to the shipper. Shipper heard nothing, and in the end Fedex stated they just 'destroyed the package'. ie: someone realized beer was in it and drank it all.

luwak likes this.
  6. JJFoodie

JJFoodie May 11, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Update:

They left me a voicemail today saying that I'll need to file a claim, as two weeks have passed and they cannot find the box...fucking shame, too! It had some great MI beers (Bolt Cutter, Hopslam, BBPt5, Black Note) and two different 50/50 Eclipse...all in, about $135 worth of good stuff gone. Even worse, I feel bad for the BA buddy of mine who sent it! He's out the $135, and I'd like for him to be compensated. So...has anyone ever filed a claim before? How do you go about providing them with the documentation they say they need to compensate you?

Cheers!
    JJFoodie

7. ValleyOfTheSuds

ValleyOfTheSuds Oct 19, 2012 Arizona

Bummer, man. Thought I was in the same boat, but I ended up with a miracle. Hope you end up with the same.

8. notjustgc

notjustgc Nov 15, 2008 New Jersey

FedEx gave me the same BS about "label, no box" status. I pressed them to fax me the incident report and found a little note in there from some sorting center manager: "Heard liquid, opened to inspect. Contents: Beer. Appears to be special/imported. All contents discarded."

"Discarded" my ass. No more FedEx, never, ever again. USPS all the way. They just delivered a soaking-wet-with-beer box to my apartment today! Now, the sender is at fault for failure to use bubble wrap, but that's a different story...

9. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Mar 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Chances are if you do enough trades, you will encounter issues with no matter who you ship with. Personally, I prefer FedEx because there's a dropoff about 5 min from my house, and when I print the prepaid label at home, I never get any questions.

When I first started trading I only shipped UPS, and would always get a thousands questions by the guys that worked the two convenient dropoff locations close to my house. Then mysteriously enough, about a month in, I had 12 bottles that were allegedly completely destroyed for a total loss. Luckily it was just shelf 3 Floyds stuff, so I was only out $25, and didn't bother filing a claim.

10. Franch

Franch Mar 22, 2011 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

no.

cavedave likes this.
  11. RashyGrillCook

RashyGrillCook Apr 30, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Why not?

12. notjustgc

Seriously, I've had problems with ups and FedEx, but never ever USPS.

13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

People aren't going to like your answer.

14. notjustgc

Believe me, I'm aware. There are plenty of myths about USPS somehow being a federal police force, and that their handling of packages is somehow any more terrible than either of the other two.

15. kmello69

kmello69 Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

The way I pack my boxes, they could easily survive all of those! :)

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!