1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.

So, how's beer trading going?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by Todd, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcbeerbrew

mcbeerbrew Feb 9, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I don't mind comments in the ISO:FT forum.

People new to trading getting "schooled" in public on some common etiquette and beer valuations is an efficient way for them to learn the ins-and-outs of beer trading.

When I first started thats how I learned a lot. Also saves time me time from BMing someone who has no idea what they are doing.

2. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison May 29, 2005 Ohio
    Beer Trader

My personal experience is that beer trading is no longer a BA activity. I simply have less interest in going to the ISO/FT forum without replies being allowed. There are too many outrageous requests without the unmoderated commentary that would make the site fun.

I've used BA less than ever before, it's just lost its mojo for me.

WeisGuy and Photekut like this.
  3. franklinn

franklinn May 29, 2012 Vermont

Yes to both a Bad Trader sticky and a Trading 101 thread.

For the most part I'm staying out of the conversation debate, but offering a simple "bumping" solution. It's similar to what someone else said above but with less coding, and it would inherently need to be used with a rule about the max number of ISO:FT threads a week. Another forum I'm on handles it this way and it works well. Any post you make in your own thread is a bump. You can bump your thread once every 72 hours. If you bump early you get reported and a one month ban. I'm not saying on THIS forum you should be automatically banned, but warned for sure and temp banned for repeat offenders. That forum is a marketplace, where money is exchanged, so that's why they dish out immediate bans for it.

4. Spider889

Spider889 Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Not an easy/quick solution but here's another offering anyways:

Implement a visual indication of forum misconduct (whether publicly or on the user's profile as a private thing, I prefer public). I think this solves a couple problems. Currently many users feel that user banning/silencing happens randomly and inconsistently. Instead of up and banning someone tick off one of (3?) "strikes" against their account. Make it visual and public so that they know when they did something wrong and how close they are to being banned.

Now, allow replies in the trade forums. Allow the fun banter and playful friendly ribbing that used to go on that so many apparently enjoyed. But when someone gets out of control they get dinged. They'll see that and know they are about to get banned for that behavior. It's pretty common on other forums/online communities to see people who have been silenced with a special icon by their name or something. Like I said I like it public because when I see that I often up and block that person on the spot because I don't want to potentially deal with their BS in the future. The publicity aspect also serves to warn the greater community as well.

I dunno, maybe this is too complicated or simply unnecessary, but I think it would eventually lead to a more grounded community that policed itself in some respects due to the public nature of it all. I also *believe* that I saw once that you guys already keep tabs so to speak on user "bad karma" anyways.

To bring this full circle - tie it directly into beer karma, which is still on the list for the final site rework, yes? Over time/with exceptional good karma users can potentially lift one of the strikes against their account.Perhaps the visual indication of the bad karma is just the opposite of whatever you use for good karma. It can go positive or negative, or move from cool icons to ugly/embarrassing ones.

And of course you still reserve the right to immediately ban someone for any reason you deem appropriate.

5. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Jul 19, 2009

Given the other thread how about leave ISO:FT as is, leave help as is and create a subforum for something like "current trade trends" where people can post "value/what does it take" threads which yes are a form of ISOs with commentary, etc? People posting in there will be fully aware comments are allowed and people who just want no comments can post in ISOFT.

Maybe I am missing something but it seems like a decent compromise and serves to keep ISOFT clean, will declutter help a bit and allow people to get feedback in another area.

6. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Yes
    Yes

Replies without bumping seems to make the most sense. Trades will still get done with negative feedback, but the trading community as a whole will benefit from the feedback.

Being a newer user (1year old), learning what is a fair trade through feedback and posts is what taught me how to be fair. If I read a bunch of crazy ISO/FT (like we see currently) it would distort my view on trading and only continue to create this view with new traders.

Craft beer is a growing industry which means beer trading and this site will continue to grow. I think it's a good idea to be proactive in the growth and fairness and teach new craft beer lovers that trading isn't about winning but about sharing.

7. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!