1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

So when did "extras" become mandatory?!

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by mtbdonn, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbeer88

cbeer88 Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Yes, veteran, as in the textbook definition: "A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity ".

I can't even fathom why you would take offense to that term. You either have a history of trading or you don't. Clearly, you don't.

FTowne and NJOssie like this.
  2. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Folks who don't show credentials don't have credentials to show.

Folks who act like they know what they are talking about usually end up talking to folks who do know, and their ignorance is exposed. This usually happens in private, but some folks enjoy showing their ignorance to a large crowd.

Gramps always said better to keep mouth shut and let others think you are a fool, than to open mouth and let them know for sure. But I guess that advice is lost on the truly foolish.

3. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Dec 6, 2012

I have desire to trade with the people who have their horns in my ass.
    And sorry, but the word veteran, and the notion of it in the realm of beer is just silly. Veteran is a word of honor. Trading beer regularly is for hobbyists. So consider yourself a hobbyist and I'll carry on believing that beer is fun, not a race with echelons and rules.

Lastly, I think extras are nice, and I usually include them, but the OP had good reason to not include them and I apaud him accordingly

4. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Dec 6, 2012

You tailored that definition, Roy. You left out occupation, office or military force

5. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Nov 17, 2012 California

Just to humor you, let's call them experienced hobbyists then. Better? Regardless of the title, they lend advice when it is asked for or needed. Regardless of the terminology we're using the point still remains, extras are obligatory. If the persons a dick, I'm either just politely canceling the trade before anyone ships (gotta be a real dick to cancel) or I'm just gonna send a few shelf locals that they can't get as extras and be done with it, if the person is awesome then the extras will be alot more thoughtful. The OP's situation is a bit unique however. That said, I would've canceled the trade before anyone shipped.

6. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Dec 6, 2012

I was not asking for his advice. If you circle back on the thread you'll notice that what really transpired is that a few "veterans" couldn't accept my opinion. Then they got all beer professionals on my ass.

7. jedwards

jedwards Feb 3, 2009 California

This is known as "concern trolling". But the good news is, it's easy to avoid -- simply click on the user's name, then click "Ignore", and their posts will no longer appear to you while you're logged in.

domtronzero and Knifestyles like this.
  8. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

Do you get mad when Peyton Manning is referred to as a "veteran" on ESPN?

Johnnyramirez likes this.
  9. Steimie

Steimie Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

I thought you were done?

10. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Dec 6, 2012

Call it pickle in a snow sack, I call it banter

11. Johnnyramirez

Lmaoooooo. This dudes just mad at the general public for using a word HE deems unfit for anyone outside of his definition of the word. C'mon man, lighten up in that sense

12. abecall98

abecall98 Aug 11, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

The Manning Bros are pigskin pass hobbyists.

dvelcich, FTowne and MarkIntihar like this.
  13. Johnnyramirez

EXPERIENCED pigskin pass hobbyists.

Although Eli regularly beat Dallas, so I tend to hate on his skills. But that's beside the point

14. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Dec 6, 2012

If you could have observed my actual demeanor over the course of this thread you would feel silly saying that. I've been smiling, with the occasional cringe, all the while. I do however encourage you to retread the thread to uncover who the real trolls are.

15. abecall98

abecall98 Aug 11, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

That damn Eli. It was nice watching him go down playing his little hobby last week. If only Romo was a better hobbyist, darn.

Johnnyramirez likes this.
  16. cbeer88

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/veteran

"1. A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity. a veteran of political campaigns." Full stop.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/veteran?s=t

"1. a person who has had long service or experience in an occupation, office, or the like: a veteran of thepolice force; a veteran of many sports competitions." Full stop.

I refuse to believe you do not recognize that words in the English language frequently have multiple meanings, so please stop trolling.

gpawned, domtronzero, Steimie and 2 others like this.
  17. tewaris

tewaris Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

I refuse to believe you don't know one when you see one. Stop feeding :mad:

18. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

Whew, Good thing I'm grandfathered in. ;) Now that I'm safe, I agree!

19. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Dec 6, 2012

Funny though that you didn't choose the first definition which didn't suite your purpose.

Traditionally meanings are lessened because the population at large doesn't have the capacity or command of the language to find a more precise option, thus it subsequently becomes acceptable and eventually will get its own sub definition.

"Irregardless" is in the dictionary, which says it all

20. Johnnyramirez

You're the troll. You called someone silly for using the "tipping" analogy. Then when cavedave offered you sound advice and rightfully said you were a noob, since you've been here a month and have no references, you took offense. He said extras were obligatory, which they are. Now, lets stop feeding you, although I must admit, you are entertaining

21. cbeer88

Actually I did choose the very first definition from each link. (Not that it even matters)

But:

tewaris is right, so have a nice day.

22. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Dec 6, 2012

I've come to notice that trolling, as an offense, is largely charged by the obsessive and out of control category mongers, while the relatively calm, collected and casual sorts let this behavior go either unnoticed or revel in its slipshod candor

So basically I held an opinion on a subject which some people caress a bit too dearly.

23. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Dec 6, 2012

Take it easy.

24. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Dec 6, 2012

I want a hotdog now. This is what you people have done to me

25. Steimie

Steimie Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

Get "extra" mustard;)

26. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

Good thing I don't trade. I would have been blacklisted from day 1.

ehammond1 likes this.
  27. denimdemon

denimdemon Mar 8, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

So, to evoke Yogi Berra (Beera?): "Extras are not extras. They're extras."

28. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Jul 18, 2012 Washington

Only 400. Rookie.

dvelcich likes this.
  29. Romulux

Romulux Jan 28, 2008 Michigan

I like extras and I always send extras.

I have grown weary of this thread.

Now, somebody please post a pic of Nat Portman's ass....so we can end this thing.

30. brees6221

brees6221 Aug 4, 2009 Western Sahara

"And then...he called the sandwich...a hero. Can you believe that?! A friggin' HERO!!! Talk about disrespect!" I kid, I kid.

I've only had one less than ideal situation with extras. Long ago in a far far away land called "the old BA website" I set up a trade with a former BA who was well known for many great trades and destroying quite a few people with multiple high quality extras - this was, of course, before he went rogue and royally screwed lots of people. But I digress. One day on his profile page I saw that his "top wants" were any of the latest Jackie O's beers. Having just been to the release party I made an offer and sent a list of his Gots that I was interested in. He chose beers from that list that he thought would make the trade fair on his end and we had a deal. I don't recall what extras I sent but it was 2-3 quality bombers from his wants list. When he sent his end he didn't include extras. I took it personal and assumed I had violated some unwritten rule or done something wrong to get snubbed. I let him know that I didn't expect extras but given his reputation I wanted to know if he was unhappy with me as a trader or something I had done so that I could make it right. His response was that I had been a great trader but that upon further thought, he decided the trade was lopsided and he was giving up too much (i.e. losing the trade) so he didn't send extras. Note that he didn't say this to me during the trade, but only after the trade and I had to ask.

It rubbed me the wrong way but I felt better knowing I didn't do anything wrong and sent him nice extras. Now I just try not to trade with people I perceive as trying to win the trading game, but I think I'll always try to send nice extras even if I get burned a few times.

jtmiller03, cavedave and dvelcich like this.
  31. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Dec 6, 2012

400 recorded hotdogs on FrankAdvocate.com, 97,453 in my lifetime

Lordkrystic, cmmcdonn and MarkIntihar like this.
  32. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Nov 8, 2012 Namibia

Do you subscribe to Wiener Aficionado?

33. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Jul 18, 2012 Washington

I had a feeling you were way into the tubesteak.

34. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Dec 6, 2012

It's easy if you try, but not knowing to try is easier than knowing.

All these proverbial ditherings haven't changed my opinion, nor will it equate itself, or manifest for the sole purpose of exposure and arrest. I remain footed.

35. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Depending on how big the trade is I always put in maybe 3 extras, put in as many as 6. Maybe a glass as well. Depends on what and whom I suppose, but I've sent extras, received none in return, and not even a notification he received my package, had to track it myself to see delivery confirmed. Needless to say i wouldn't send him shit in the future. A nice little I rec the box and thanks would have been nice.

36. podunkparte

podunkparte Nov 14, 2009 Washington

I work in the service industry and depend on tip to pay my bills. I also disagree with the extras/tipping comparison. Tips pay for service, and many times hourly wages are cut short for people earning tips because they also get tips. Tips also aren't mandatory, so, while nice to receive, you can't bitch about not getting one if you didn't deserve one.

Extras are not mandatory. They shouldn't even be expected. They are extra. If you don't get any extras in your box big fucking deal. I'm sick of this feeling of entitlement from some people around here. Be humbled that someone bought you more beer than they needed to in the first place, not disappointed that they didn't send you their collection of whales because you communicated well with them or something stupid.

For the record, I also get excited about opening the box to see what else is included and I always include some extras. But do I expect there to be extras, or do I think it's somehow an unwritten rule that you should send extras? Hell no. I don't think extras should even be discussed in the trade. Where's the surprise if you're expecting it?

Franch, mtbdonn, gpawned and 4 others like this.
  37. travMI13

travMI13 Jan 7, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

You actually make some good points here, and I never thought about it as entitlement. I guess you are right, in a way.

I still think we should all take care of each other, and the custom of extras in the trading world is very valuable, but you are right. Getting pissy, bitchy, or whiny when it doesn't go your way kind of defeats the purpose. Guilty as charged. Nice points, and thanks for the candor.

podunkparte likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe