So when is Hopslam hitting??

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by iceatalamo, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (634) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I made a trip to GR yesterday for work and stopped at Siciliano's on my way home. They still had a few cases of Hopslam out (maybe some in the back still?). I'd probably call before I went.

2. beer_pilgrim

beer_pilgrim Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2015 Michigan

Please don't perpetuate that sort of idiotic behavior! The entire load of Hopslam goes out at the same time, with the same bottling date. He just ruined hundreds of dollars merchandise for nothing.

3. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

Uhhhh

4. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Initiate (188) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Trader

Hahahaha. I think he was serious.

schepelz likes this.
  5. TrapJaw77

TrapJaw77 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

I do not understand the crazy fascination with this beer. I just don't.

pudgym29 and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  6. gcg49

gcg49 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2014 Texas

I'm with ya. I tried it in 2014 when I was still more of a "surface" beer enthusiast and thought it was interesting, but I was wasn't sober enough to really appreciate it. Decided to grab a 6 pack last year and had a hard time getting through it. I find big IPAs with honey to be a bit cloying. It's good for what it is, and I might have a pint at a bar, but I won't be seeking it out.

I'm guessing it's a lot like KBS - hype carried over from past years when great examples of the style were less common. Once a year releases with low availability serve to perpetuate the hype. Lots of great DIPAs around these days, though...

Vitamin_Hop likes this.
  7. Willtravelforbeer

Willtravelforbeer Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2013 Michigan

I don't get the hype either. I don't think I will be buying again.

8. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Initiate (167) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

It's a gateway beer and we all know that gateway beers just lead to more hardcore beers.

OBD likes this.
  9. BreakfastStout

BreakfastStout Aspirant (207) Oct 15, 2013 Michigan

Still one of the tastiest DIPA's on the planet, a great take on the style. Mars and Oracle are sooooo good. I would love to do a side by side taste test with this and a double Two Hearted Ale. That would be interesting.

10. Vitamin_Hop

Vitamin_Hop Initiate (147) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Hopslam. Not even once

the_aluminum_monster likes this.
  11. RexKramer

RexKramer Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 Illinois

The faces of hopslam.

Brocklanders34 likes this.
  12. beer_pilgrim

Did you mean, not serious?

13. bassfishingguy

bassfishingguy Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2014 Michigan

I managed to find some downtown GR today while visiting my brother. Tuscan Market (I think that's the name) had about 20 cases of it sitting on the floor for $17.99 a 6pack. Definitely worth the money in my opinion. Worth the HYPE? That's another beast entirely...and nobody here can really answer that in a fair manner (as tastes really are subjective).

14. Ace99890

Ace99890 Aspirant (220) Dec 3, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

This beer used to be awesome, but it's taste has changed every year. Def won't be seeking it out again

15. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (371) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

I'm not trying to sounds like a dick when I say this but if you're a DIPA fan and you don't understand the hype behind Hopslam, it's likely you've only gotten into craft beer in the last couple years. A good part of Hopslam hype is all about respecting a legend that was on top of the DIPA game long before most brewers ventured into it (or were even around for that matter). The other part is related to the first, all these years later, it still tastes like a damn good representation of the style.

16. red94tt

Trader

Or, it's entirely possible your palate has changed...in which case, it would be you and not the beer.

17. bassfishingguy

bassfishingguy Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2014 Michigan

When Hopslam was created, there were a handful (maybe) of respectable IIPA's (hell...IPA's for that matter). Hopslam is the type of beer in which many other amazing brewers got their inspiration. Breweries like Bell's and Sierra Nevada are the REASON why craft beer exists on the level it does today. If a brewery like Bell's (insert any of the originals like Sierra Nevada) didn't take the chances they did, I'm willing to bet the craft game would be much different than it is today (see: non-existent).

Legendary is a status that FEW breweries will ever achieve, but Bell's essentially helped write the story of craft brewing in the United States (both from a commercial standpoint, as well as a home brewing).
    @red94tt if you're around the Middleville area anytime, shoot me a BM. I'd love to share a beer or 2 with you.

18. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (477) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

A number of these posts can be summed up by pointing out Hopslam is #12 on the Beers of Fame list.

Don't forget to enjoy a couple on a yearly basis, regardless of if you've had better.

Fargrow, red94tt, croush and 3 others like this.
  19. DrinktotheDead

DrinktotheDead Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2014 Michigan
    Deactivated

Seems the lions share went to the big boxes this year.
    Read into that, the stores that don't "expensive".

20. 3DMan

3DMan Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Michigan

I am all for some peeps "not buying into the hype" so the many, many fine folks who have enjoyed and still enjoy this tasty brew can access it more easily.

21. chazmcbro

chazmcbro Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2010 Wisconsin

Just to clarify, results may vary with stores having Hopslam on Monday. That'll be the first day it ships, and the distributor was nice enough to send it to us before our normal delivery day. Also, mini kegs will be available, but pretty limited. We're only getting a case, which likely means 2 total.

22. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I picked up a case at Barneys in New Buffalo yesterday, and shared a 6 pack with a buddy last night. I thought it was great as usual. Looking forward to more of them, and considering a mini-keg, if I can get the right group of friends together for it.

23. Mattmc1973

Mattmc1973 Initiate (120) Jun 4, 2008 Michigan

Hopslam tastes the same every year.

Fargrow and craigo19 like this.
  24. mcjeff42

mcjeff42 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

I've purchased 4 1/2 cases so far.

red94tt likes this.
  25. vic21234

vic21234 Devotee (431) Jan 25, 2009 Illinois

Calm down bro.

OBD, jbecke2, screamking and 2 others like this.
  26. mcjeff42

mcjeff42 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

why? my friends want it so I've purchased what I can over the course of the week.

27. red94tt

Trader

Sounds like a plan! I may be making a trek over for Cellar Raid if time allows but if not then, I'll be over near your neck of the woods this summer:sunglasses:

28. vic21234

vic21234 Devotee (431) Jan 25, 2009 Illinois

It's a joke....drink on.

29. Grupatre

Grupatre Aspirant (232) Sep 13, 2014 Michigan

What's the cheapest price everyone has bought this for ???

30. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (232) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I saw the empty shelf at the Costco in Auburn Hills had it for like $14.75/6 pack - that's the cheapest I saw it. I paid $16.99 from a few different places for my 6 packs.

31. Sparty1224

Sparty1224 Zealot (552) Jun 18, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Just watched a bunch of YouTube reviews on this beer from 2010, and it seems that back then, this beer was #1. Everyone loved it. As far as what's happened in the 5-6 years since, I'm not sure, but that's where the hype comes from. It truly used to be a legend. But with the craft beer boom, there's just SO many other DIPAs that have come out that are just as good, if not better. Does it mean HopSlam is bad? No. It's just the competition has risen. Enjoy it for what it is. I know I'll try to grab at least a bottle this year like I always do.

32. Grupatre

Grupatre Aspirant (232) Sep 13, 2014 Michigan

Store by me got a few cases Thursday. It was $14.47 all gone now till this coming Thursday....

33. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Devotee (416) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone know what the status is at the general store? Thinking about making a run tomorrow. I know they have run out a few times, but seems like they have have replenished a few times also...

34. craigo19

craigo19 Initiate (187) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan

They were out yesterday and were not sure if they were getting anymore. It is on tap at the Eccentric Café.

35. croush

Trader

I called the General Store on Thursday and they said they were out and weren't expecting anymore. Not sure if that is accurate, but that's what I was told.

36. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,901) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I was there on Friday and a full pallat had dropped, and it was flying out the door. I got my homebrew supplies and was happy with that.

Edit - I don't think they were telling you wrong, the brewery drops beer off for them to sell. So they don't always know at the General Store.

37. croush

Trader

Yeah, I kinda figured that might be the case. I got my case in New Buffalo anyway, so it was actually easier that way; but if I had known they'd have it on Friday, I would've just gone to the General Store. I've got enough to last me until it hits the Chicago market in a week and a half.

38. Glennron

Glennron Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2016 Wisconsin

Fellow Milwaukeeans: Just picked up two 6-packs from Discount Liquor on 51st and Oklahoma around 1:00. Only one had been taken so far, lots left. I imagine it's in other places in the city now, too.

39. jaybags

jaybags Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2012 Michigan

Got some for $14.99 today at kroger, which was nice considering i was paying 19.99 from the beer store.

Grupatre likes this.
  40. beer_pilgrim

Ann Arbor Meijer Jackson rd second batch
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.