Soccer thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gajo74, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (2,482) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

i love soccer. I’ve tried to start threads based on what beer you drink while watching soccer, only for it to be deleted when it got off the topic of beer. Here goes:
    I’m a Barcelona and Manchester City fan. What a great Manchester derby game yesterday! (For City fans) Who’s your pick to win the Champions League? Who’s better..Messi or Ronaldo? (Messi by miles)

Buckeye55 and Shanex like this.
  2. Fly_Moe

Fly_Moe Initiate (105) May 22, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Not a city fan. I'm a Chelsea fan. But I'd like Liverpool to win it. It's been like 29 years since they last won the league. I think they deserve to win it this year, especially with the season they are having. It's such a tight race right now. It will definitely comes down to the last game. I have a feeling that City will win it, but I'm hoping for a Liverpool upset.

As far as who's better between Messi or Ronaldo, I'd say Renaldo. He's played in three different leagues and many teams while Messi has only played in one league for one team. The argument of course is that Messi is loyal to Barcelona. But why be loyal when most teams aren't loyal and will drop players if they aren't performing and are in a slump. Personally, if that was me I'd like the challenge of playing in a different league to see how good I am. You can put a mediocre player on Barcelona and they will look good. If Messi can prove himself in another league on another team and still put up the numbers he does with Barcelona then he might be in the running for best player. In my eyes it's Ronaldo as of now.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,550) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I want to watch the world burn which is to say that Im rooting for Ajax at this point. Bayern is out (not shocking, but still disappointing), as is City ...

Messi v. Ronaldo? It depends ... pure offensive player? Ronaldo. All around? Messi.

Shanex likes this.
  4. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,385) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I've been a big soccer fan for years, and have focused now mostly on MLS domestic.

I've been a supporter of DC United since 2005, which has been... a lot to deal with lets put it that way.

I used to follow English Premier and some of the Euro leagues more extensively, but have pulled back. Arsenal is my club, some clubs I enjoy more than others etc..

I also went to Korea or the World Cup in 2002 which was fantastic. Basically in a World Cup year my life gets very trying and when the competition starts, that's it, forget it, there's nothing else I pay attention to.

5. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

I've tried to get into MLS - especially once Philly got a franchise, but I just haven't been able to. Ive rooted for Bayern Munich for so long that they're the only team I really care about at this point. And European soccer is just a much better quality than MLS. That being said - I really hope MLS does well.

Now that I live in Chicago I find myself following the Red Stars more closely. Really enjoy watching them - they've got some great players. Also very excited for the World Cup this summer!

ChicagoJ and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  6. IronLover

IronLover Poo-Bah (1,957) Apr 17, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Primarily watch EPL on the DVR. Prime beer drinking time. I'm rooting for Liverpool this year, although I typically just root against Manchester United and Chelsea (the Yankees and Red Sox of the EPL imo).

7. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,586) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I dislike Ronaldo mostly because he’s a smug but he’s admittedly a good player. However Messi is better.

Ah, I enjoyed the WC last year because that French team had talent and no one expected them to win in the end. Mbappé has had a good season in League 1 with PSG but made an ass out of himself in other cups.

Disclaimer: I don’t follow soccer very closely nor am I any team fan specifically but I enjoy a great Champions League or Euro/World cup championship game every now and then.

ChicagoJ, Smakawhat and FBarber like this.
  8. Gajo74

Society Trader

I’ve heard this argument before but I respectfully disagree. True, Ronaldo has won in three different leagues, but if you think about it closely, he’s played for 3 of the grand old clubs of football, all powerhouses in their history.
    1.He played for Sir Alex Ferguson’s ManU dynasty.
    2. He’s played for Real Madrid with the likes of Kroos, Modric, Benzema et al feeding him the ball. (No slouches as footballers)
    3. Juve is the most successful club team in Serie A history in terms of domestic titles. They’ve won like 7 straight scudettos? (1 horse race all the way)
    My point being, I’d be more impressed if he carried lesser teams to glory in those three different leagues.

Cheers

No! Is Messi greater because he plays for a great team? Of course! But great players become great by playing with other great players. However, you absolutely CANNOT put a mediocre player on FCB! They don’t sign mediocre players and their youth system is reknown for training players for maximum technique.

ChicagoJ, Shanex and FBarber like this.
  9. Gajo74

Society Trader

Incidentally, regardless of who you root for, how sick was this free kick? They say even Jurgen Klopp was smiling with begrudging admiration.

ChicagoJ, sulldaddy, Shanex and 2 others like this.
  10. Gajo74

Society Trader

ChicagoJ and FBarber like this.
  11. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

That was fantastic. Definitely read that and thought, oh, I should have been a Liverpool fan. This is the issue with adopting an club from here in America not knowing all the intricacies in the history. A friend of mine moved to Scotland (Glasgow) and married a Celtic fan ... she had no idea how deep that rivalry ran until she lived there and experienced it. Its just not something we have here in American sports ...

ChicagoJ and Gajo74 like this.
  12. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Poo-Bah (1,508) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

Not much of a follower, the only team I kinda root for is Bayern.

I had to go look at who is left, so I will root for Ajax. Only because I have never heard of them.

In my soccer ignoramus opinion, I will take Ronaldo.

13. Gajo74

Society Trader

Buckeye55 likes this.
  14. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,684) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Manchester City fan here. Excited by their season. Champions League Final should be fun to watch.
    Each year some of us do an EPL fantasy league BIF. If any one is interested let me know and when next season we will get you in.

Thanks for starting the thread!

15. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,626) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm a pretty ardent follower of the Portland Timbers, and used to follow the Earthquakes as well back when I lived in the bay area. MLS has been around for roughly 25 years now, yet the quality of play in the MLS continues to lag significantly behind soccer teams in Europe and South America (IMHO). MLS teams seem to increasingly be made up of quality players from other leagues around the world, yet the quality of play is still pretty disappointing at times. I honestly don't understand why that it.

After watching the last world cup, it took me almost a month to recover before I could tolerate watching the generally shoddy play I'm accustomed to seeing in the MLS. Still, if I only watch MLS games, then I can become accustomed to the typically slower game, the shoddy passing and often times non-existent (albeit frequently hilarious) defensive play.

Shanex, roan22, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  16. sulldaddy

Society Trader

17. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,586) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Yep - Champions League final

Between two English clubs

That says’ a lot about British football ever since their quite good World Cup last year.

I’ll try to tune in..

ChicagoJ, FBarber and Gajo74 like this.
  18. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,827) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Here is my primary suggestion for encouraging MLS to become a main-stream American professional sport:

Stop pretending it is British! Especially in the terms used routinely.

For example,
    "Pitch" is not a soccer (er, football) term for playing field. It is a British term. And, in Britain, it is not limited to soccer.
    "Kit" is not a soccer term for equipment, it is a British term. And, in Britain, it is not limited to soccer.
    "Nil" is not a soccer term for zero in a sports score, it is a British term. And, in Britain, it is not limited to soccer.

Many Americans see this as pretentious and snobbish.

Not the way to build popularity, IMO.

#18 MNAle, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  19. sulldaddy

Society Trader

Mikeoxlong likes this.
  20. Gajo74

Society Trader

Bitterbill likes this.
  21. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

ChicagoJ, sulldaddy and Bitterbill like this.
  22. sulldaddy

Society Trader

The beer is made from really good ingredients using some of the best equipment, yet for some reason it falls flat about midway through the pint.

ChicagoJ and FBarber like this.
  23. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,380) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Our family switched from the Chicago Daily News to the Chicago Sun Times when the Daily News ceased publication on March 4th, 1978 (still have the final edition at home). We switched from the Chicago Sun Times to the weekly Chicago Reader on January 11, 1984 when the sale of the Chicago Sun Times to Rupert Murdoch was final and Mike Royko left to the Chicago Tribune, equally vile and repulsive, though in a different way (Josh Noel heal thyself).

A few years later, my family in Liverpool and just about everyone else in the city stopped purchasing The Sun, though most of my family in Britain are Everton fans.

Over 30 years later, the boycott continues in Liverpool (Murdoch long gone in Chicago).

May happier times arrive soon!

Go Reds!!!

pudgym29 and Shanex like this.
  24. roan22

roan22 Crusader (777) Jun 30, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

I like the English Premier League games, and watch them sometimes before I leave for work. I don't really know the players and I don't have a favorite team but I can say I don't like the black and yellow uniforms. I love the play by play announcers and the hosts.

#24 roan22, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    ChicagoJ likes this.
  25. Dreyski

Dreyski Initiate (192) Dec 13, 2015 England

Blackburn Rovers fan here. Not glamorous, but it's where I grew up and that's stuck with me. There have been good times, Brad Friedel spent the best years of his career with us. And we were champions of England 25 years ago...
    [​IMG]

As for foreign teams, I have a soft spot for Ajax, mainly because they were European champions the same season Rovers won the Premier League, with a team of mainly young homegrown players.

And Ronaldo is a better player than Messi individually, but Messi is a better team player. :sunglasses:

roan22, FBarber and ChicagoJ like this.
  26. roan22

Society

Has anyone seen a show hosted by Gary Neville called Soccer Box? It is great! Wayne Rooney was on as a guest and they watched old clips of games and had a laugh.

27. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (128) May 28, 2008 Florida

Wasn't much of a fan until the NBC stations started broadcasting the EPL a few years back. Now the floodgates are open and I'm also getting a steady diet of Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga, and Bancomer MX. Biggest loss was ESPN+ screwing up the works by taking the FA Cup off free tv. Biggest faves are Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

ChicagoJ, Jaycase and FBarber like this.
  28. roan22

Society

I like watching Rugby matches too, sometimes they are on from Scotland.

29. DonnieT79

DonnieT79 Initiate (52) Jan 3, 2020 Ohio
    Trader

I've been a supporter of West Ham for nearly 20 years now. It happened when a good friend of mine asked if I wanted to go watch a match at a local bar in Chicago at around 7:30am, so I said sure. It was full of supporters of the club and I got into it. They're having a helluva rough year so but I stick with it.
    That being said, I never got into MLS at all. I've been to a few games (both in Chicago and now Columbus) and they were fine but as the league is set up, not a fan.
    As for what beer I enjoy during it? Really it varies - if it's during the colder months, a stout is perfect. Warmer weather, I'll always go for a pilsner or IPA.

Jaycase, roan22 and ChicagoJ like this.
  30. roan22

Society

I've seen a lot of EPL games lately, I'm getting back into it. I admit that I prefer Manchester Utd. but I also like Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool, Sheffield and the West Ham team (that almost beat Liverpool the other day). Its clear that Liverpool has a lot of talent but Chelsea also seems to be a good team. No Arsenal and no Man City.

And those rugby guys who played in Scotland during that N'oreaster 1-2 weeks ago were impressive.

DonnieT79 likes this.
  31. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,411) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

New England revolution fan since they started 25 years ago. I drink a New England brewed beer while watching them play

Grew up in Chicago and played for green white. Watched soccer made in germany and have always been a Bayern Munich fan

pudgym29, Jaycase and FBarber like this.
  32. roan22

Society

The Premier League fan fest is coming to Philly in April. Its funny to hear the host Rebecca talking about the cheesesteaks! :laughing:

FBarber likes this.
  33. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,626) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Just watched my local, the Portland Timbers play their season opener on Sunday. It's just the first game, so there's always room for improvement, but it was not an auspicious start for them. They lost 3-1 in front of the home crowd, and they were lucky the score wasn't more lopsided (the defense forgot to suit up for the game again).

Could be a very long season for our boys.

roan22, Jaycase and FBarber like this.
  34. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,346) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Love the sport. I don't have an allegiance to any one club really but I do usually follow teams with Americans on them, particularly the top leagues. This season it has been Chelsea because of Christian Pulisic. He's had some nice moments but this latest injury has been a major(ly long) bummer. Hope he gets healthy soon and can still be a top contributor the remainder of the season.

pudgym29 and roan22 like this.
  35. WunderLlama

Society Trader

In lieu of any live soccer matches on television, I have been watching The English Game on Netflix about the first pro player Fergie Suter. Good series

FBarber and Gajo74 like this.
  36. Gajo74

Society Trader

Is it a movie or a series? Thanks for the recommendation. I got lots of time for Netflix these days.

FBarber likes this.
  37. WunderLlama

Society Trader

It’s a series , watched the first three episodes. Good luck Darwen FC vs Old Etonians!!!!

FBarber likes this.
  38. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,401) Jan 6, 2014 New York

I’ll play because I’m bored at work.

Club: I follow Tottenham Hotspur first and foremost. I became a huge Robbie Keane fan after the ‘02 World Cup and started following Spurs because of him. When he fucked off and signed with Liverpool, I figured, ok, I’m a Liverpool fan now, I support the player not the shirt. I became a huge Ledley King fan and also liked Michael Dawson because I’m a fullback at heart (I still play at 43) but if Keane is moving on then I am too.

That season they showed Spurs-Pool on Fox Soccer which was a huge game and they never showed Spurs on American TV unless they were getting pummeled by MU or those other 2 London teams I can’t stand. The Lane crowd booed Keane everytime he touched the ball and I actually found myself supporting Spurs still. That was the moment I realized I was Spurs and there was nothing I could do about it. Plus, Keane bombed in Liverpool and was back at the Lane not even 6 months later so I got wear his shirt again.

Not much of a story here but I support Bayern Munich second. I’m German and my mother happens to be from that part of Germany so that’s my connection.

Celtic to a certain degree basically because a guy who owns a bar I used to basically live at gave me shirts that didn’t fit him and they are the Irish Catholic team in Belfast. That’s, historically, probably the biggest rivalry in all of sport...Celtic/Rangers

I also happen to support Portland if I support any MLS team. @John_M I have a friend of mine who moved out to Portland years ago and Is a fervent Timbers Army member. Him and his wife live and breathe that team. The Timbers/KC playoff match a few years back with the PKs coming down to the goalies is still one of the craziest matches I’ve seen. I respect the fans, my buddy is a good dude and I a) won’t support any team that employs a cheating Gooner (Red Bulls) and b) won’t support a team run by a conglomerate of the Kuwaiti run Man City and the NY Yankees (NYCFC) so i support Portland.

Nationally: United States > Germany > Ireland. I’ve become somewhat of an England fan due to their heavy Spurs lean, but I am not English so I can’t root for them over my top 3.

I will add, being a Spurs fan has provided quite the highs and quite the plummeting lows. Moura scoring at the death in Amsterdam was one of my favorite sports moments ever. But, to see them dropped to the lows they dropped to this season, whether it be injury or disinterest or coaching has been really disheartening. Still, I got to see Gareth Bale at his peak (which was a pleasure), Ledley King bleed lilywhite, Luka Modric when he was still quietly the best midfielder in the world, Super Jan and Toby be the best Central Fullback tandem since Ferdinand and Vidic. Christian Eriksen (the maestro, he’s still my number 23) at his peak and right now, Sonny just run all over the pitch with a big smile on his face. He’s my favorite guy currently on the team.

pudgym29, Gajo74, roan22 and 2 others like this.
  39. Gajo74

Society Trader

More so than Barcelona vs Real Madrid?

40. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,401) Jan 6, 2014 New York

I would say so. You’d get killed for wearing a certain shirt in certain neighborhood. We went to Belfast back in ‘07, which was amongst the friendliest of times in that region, and it was an eye opening experience. The Catholics and the Protestants have/had such a real hate for each other and, above all, what they believe that they kill each other for that. The Celtic shirt is representative of the Irish Catholic and the Glasgow shirt is representative of the Protestant. It was really mindblowing to hear people actually got killed back in the 70s and 80s just because of a jersey.

pudgym29, FBarber and Gajo74 like this.